Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AnHonorableMention

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by AnHonorableMention »

EvanKnight wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:37 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:38 pm
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:29 am
Ok, we’ll someone watching the Japanese stuff wouldn’t get all the interviews and other non wrestling stuff. If you’re only putting on a show with only matches, then that would be fine.
Subtitles exist and action speaks for itself.
Watching televised wrestling without commentary or with commentary in another language is much less enjoyable. I get that everyone has different options on things like that, for me the lack of crowds wasn't that big of a deal most of the time for a TV show, but it definitely takes away from the big match PPV feel. I don't get TBS/TNT, but I wouldn't watch on NJPW with Japanese commentary.
The empty arena era may have been the single worst time in the history of this business.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

Fightful reporting Kaun has signed to “AEW/ROH”.

The other gates of agony guy apparently is also signed now as well. Sounds like they’ll be primarily ROH, with some appearances in AEW. Maybe this is another layer to AEW’s contracts.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Shanahan wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:30 am Since ROH is now dead I might as well drop 1 more tidbit of news. I posted in late Feb/early March about “next match announced showing the new direction of ROH”. It was about Killer Kross but was changed as a surprise to end the show but the sale killed it. Last week I said none of ROH guys would be signed and I was correct. Now for this week my last trick…Honor Club will be gone before Memorial Day. Most likely folded by May 1 if everything goes right. Less than 3k subs to it.
What date/time did ROH have 3K subs? Pre or post Supercard? or SBG era? Clearly subscriptions go up and down. Where is this being reported? ROH's SBG era had 4K - FB choose your honor members; which is closer to what i'd imagine for ownership under SBG, which also aligns with those PPV numbers. 3K in Feb or March 2022 would make sense, because there was no new content.

How do they have 20K sales of the PPV @ 30$ via Cable/Fite, and less than 3K HonorClub subscribers. It may be true; it just seems off compared to the Pre-show / PPV buy rates. In theory , the 3K could be the hardcore ROH fans, and the 20K PPV buyers were AEW fans... but imagine it was more lapsed ROH fans tuning in with new ownership; most of which know what HonrClub is.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Honorclub is shut down; because you don't want that competing with AEW's forthcoming streaming service.

I'd imagine IF SBG continued to run the company, with limited , events 6-8 weeks apart ; even one show a month, they would be better off with ditching HonorClub for a 15$ per show price tag on Fite like GCW. The subscription service only works if you have consistent content; and obliviously a good subscriber base.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

During the 20/21 ROH was filming TV with no fans, they could have easily taped monthly shows to go along with TV episodes & promoted it on SBG channels. They choice not to do that. Why? Because HC numbers were so low it wasn’t worth the effort or extra money. Is that smart or lazy? I say Its lazy and hurt them in long run but it just goes to show how little they cared about HC.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Shanahan wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:37 pm During the 20/21 ROH was filming TV with no fans, they could have easily taped monthly shows to go along with TV episodes & promoted it on SBG channels. They choice not to do that. Why? Because HC numbers were so low it wasn’t worth the effort or extra money. Is that smart or lazy? I say Its lazy and hurt them in long run but it just goes to show how little they cared about HC.
Makes sense, no doubt the HC subscriber numbers were low when they weren’t adding HC shows in 20/21. I’d say lazy too, but they were spending all that money cleaning the mats/ flying the guys in for a week, and quarantining, and testing, the budget was probably blown. Plus with no fans, guess they felt it was hard to justify. If nothing else, they could have filmed some behind the scenes- backstage documentaries. But yeah, Think it comes down to a lack of leadership. SBG didn’t know the company kinda feel asleep at the wheel, in terms of competition.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Shanahan wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:37 pm During the 20/21 ROH was filming TV with no fans, they could have easily taped monthly shows to go along with TV episodes & promoted it on SBG channels. They choice not to do that. Why? Because HC numbers were so low it wasn’t worth the effort or extra money. Is that smart or lazy? I say Its lazy and hurt them in long run but it just goes to show how little they cared about HC.
Left you plenty of time to go banana shopping it seems.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Gresham vs. Dalton Castle on Saturday night AEW Battle of the Belts 2 will be interesting. Castle's persona should be given a chance to shine on national television ... especially in contrast to Gresham's stoicism.

Have no idea what will be the type of viewership numbers for a Saturday night.

Two Ring Of Honor (World & Television) Championships on National American TV is a positive start to a new era. We will see what type of momentum is carried into the future (of Honor).
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Am stoked to see the Tate Twins back with Dalton Castle. It's just right.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

It's unfortunate the Briscoes Brothers seem to be doing impact and not roh going forward
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:09 am It's unfortunate the Briscoes Brothers seem to be doing impact and not roh going forward
Nobody to blame but themselves.
dhads7161 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:51 am Am stoked to see the Tate Twins back with Dalton Castle. It's just right.
We'll see if this is even a thing, cause those two goofs aren't exactly the most intelligent.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:44 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:09 am It's unfortunate the Briscoes Brothers seem to be doing impact and not roh going forward
dhads7161 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:51 am Am stoked to see the Tate Twins back with Dalton Castle. It's just right.
We'll see if this is even a thing, cause those two goofs aren't exactly the most intelligent.
I don’t see how what the Briscoes have done is any worse than what Sammy or Darby have said/done?? They are featured on AEW prominently, and Sammy does like a month counseling and he’s better?? I’m sure there’s a handful of others in AEW that have said something or done something in their past. But let’s draw the line at the Briscoes.

I could see the Briscoes come back at some point. Maybe they just get a break from ROH. Why else would the Young Bucks attack them, if this truly was the end??
DougN

Post by DougN »

The Darby stuff.... it's not well-defined what he actually did, and the accuser has really wavered on what they're saying/accusing. That doesn't mean Darby is in the clear, but that it's unfair to lump him in with this conversation.

Sammy is a great example though, but I think the difference is that when the comments surfaced, there was an immediate apology and consequence. Now, you can argue the merits of the apology and what the actual consequence was, but there definitely was an apology and a consequence.

None of that really happened to the Briscoes. There was no immediate apology and no consequence from ROH at all.

Now, I'm not saying Briscoes shouldn't be allowed into AEW -- I think enough time has passed AND they have done a lot of stuff publicly and privately to make up for it. But I also understand the hesitation and that the Sammy situation was handled differently.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

past and present.

dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

What do you have on the Tate twins?
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:31 am
I don’t see how what the Briscoes have done is any worse than what Sammy or Darby have said/done?? They are featured on AEW prominently, and Sammy does like a month counseling and he’s better?? I’m sure there’s a handful of others in AEW that have said something or done something in their past. But let’s draw the line at the Briscoes.

I could see the Briscoes come back at some point. Maybe they just get a break from ROH. Why else would the Young Bucks attack them, if this truly was the end??
Sammy's punishment was hardly enough, but I think the work he did outside the public eye speaks for itself. You listen to the way he conducts himself publicly when asked about it, it's not invoking the invisible man in the sky and his "book" as an excuse. He mentions his own immaturity, his lack of awareness, and general stupidity of the comments. In regards to Darby, that story is just an unfortunate example of someone looking for money and lying. When the story changes 5 times, and you try to backdoor your way to money that's indicative of falsifying a story.

I love Mark & Jay as well as the family I've come to know. The social media homophobia is just one of the reasons they're in their present situation. It's unfortunate but this is one of those things as a society we should be glad there's no looking the other way.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

dhads7161 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:58 pm
What do you have on the Tate twins?
Anti-vaccine, pro trump, kooks. Conspiracy theorist idiots. They also run in very similar circles as a former pro wrestler who used to sexually assault women who's name I won't ever publicly mention. Let's just say this loser had creepy facial hair.
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:33 pm

Sammy's punishment was hardly enough, but I think the work he did outside the public eye speaks for itself. You listen to the way he conducts himself publicly when asked about it, it's not invoking the invisible man in the sky and his "book" as an excuse. He mentions his own immaturity, his lack of awareness, and general stupidity of the comments. In regards to Darby, that story is just an unfortunate example of someone looking for money and lying. When the story changes 5 times, and you try to backdoor your way to money that's indicative of falsifying a story.

I love Mark & Jay as well as the family I've come to know. The social media homophobia is just one of the reasons they're in their present situation. It's unfortunate but this is one of those things as a society we should be glad there's no looking the other way.
As a society we should also give people a chance at redemption and growth.
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:40 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:33 pm

As a society we should also give people a chance at redemption and growth.
They had a decade to do that and until it came to a six figure contract it was the elephant in the corner of the room. Too little too late. Do the work now, and maybe in a year or two a choice will be different. There is one thing they can't change and quite frankly as an anti-gun person, and knowing the family, they won't change.
Captain Podcast