Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
indyfan

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by indyfan »

Montana wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:02 am
indyfan wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:53 am Damn.... its going to be clipped matches
I think those 6 matches are being spread over 2 episodes. I’m guessing any matches over 20 mins would be cut down.
That makes way more sense
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

I guess I finally got my 'Suzuki-Gun invasion of ROH' angle.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

Suzuki defend title at NJPWUSA?
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Tony khan really wants roh on one of warnermedia networks
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:00 pm Tony khan really wants roh on one of warnermedia networks
Good luck getting them to pay him enough money to make it worthwhile. Let’s say you were Warnermedia and you agreed to pay for this content, what day, time, and channel are you putting it on?
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:16 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:00 pm Tony khan really wants roh on one of warnermedia networks
Good luck getting them to pay him enough money to make it worthwhile. Let’s say you were Warnermedia and you agreed to pay for this content, what day, time, and channel are you putting it on?
Probably on Thursdays on Tru tv
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

They way Tony talked after the show in the media scrum. I got the feeling he's got something that's going down, but can't talk about it right now. He said several times, he resigned Brian Cage to repackage him and have him work in ROH. He said he had ideas for what he wanted to book going forward in ROH and some ideas. I got the feeling he's got a deal or working out a deal, but it's in the stage where he can't talk about it just yet.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Captain_44 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:20 pm They way Tony talked after the show in the media scrum. I got the feeling he's got something that's going down, but can't talk about it right now. He said several times, he resigned Brian Cage to repackage him and have him work in ROH. He said he had ideas for what he wanted to book going forward in ROH and some ideas. I got the feeling he's got a deal or working out a deal, but it's in the stage where he can't talk about it just yet.
I think his goal would be to get it on the Warner networks, but if not, it’ll just be streaming content. Nothing set in stone yet, so it’s not like he’s hiring the ROH locker room. Not to mention over-hiring for AEW anyways.

Maybe Tru Tv… or maybe even on axs with impact and NJPW.

I wouldn’t mind them maybe doing Live or taped Saturday shows. The week is already so crowded. Saturday would allow them to tour and potentially air live. Or we could see them tape at universal studios or Daly’s place and just air on the network. I imagine whatever deal it gets will depend the budget.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

ROH needs to be “on-demand” like the Darks, but they need to put better content on it and put forth more effort. Brian Cage vs Samoa Joe needs to happen more often than Samoa Joe vs Serpentico
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

ROH on Saturday evenings would be great maybe they could alternate between live and taped each week leaving Saturdays open for ROH tentpole events.
DougN

Post by DougN »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:45 pm ROH needs to be “on-demand” like the Darks, but they need to put better content on it and put forth more effort. Brian Cage vs Samoa Joe needs to happen more often than Samoa Joe vs Serpentico
I agree. I think more effort needs to be put into Dark PERIOD, but ROH on YouTube or something weekly with high level matches could do real well. BUT it would also be a money loser on a huge scale. Dark is too, but the idea is to build up a library with that. ROH already had a library so it might not be needed.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

DougN wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:59 am
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:45 pm ROH needs to be “on-demand” like the Darks, but they need to put better content on it and put forth more effort. Brian Cage vs Samoa Joe needs to happen more often than Samoa Joe vs Serpentico
I agree. I think more effort needs to be put into Dark PERIOD, but ROH on YouTube or something weekly with high level matches could do real well. BUT it would also be a money loser on a huge scale. Dark is too, but the idea is to build up a library with that. ROH already had a library so it might not be needed.
Where have you seen that Dark loses money? I didn’t even think about the Darks on YouTube. If they can’t get on “real” TV, what chance does ROH have? AEW is the better brand. If Warnermedia wanted more wrestling on their TV stations, why wouldn’t they just have AEW Dark on? ROH has like zero chance of being on TV.
DougN

Post by DougN »

The Dark losing money is just an assumption. I just can't see a scenario where Dark makes money. You do not get much money from YouTube for something like that. How much does it lose? No idea, but there's no way it makes money.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Feels very much like ROH is going to be like the NXT of WWE, and not a fully separate standalone promotion. If the can keep the crossover to a minimum, it may work, but if they are really going to continue the "see the follow up to the ROH title match on he next AEW show on TBS" then I don't think ROH makes it a year. For ROH to continue it has to be different than AEW and to do that you have to identify something about AEW that they aren't doing as well or in the style that people want, and those running AEW will probably have a hard time doing that if history is any example.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

EvanKnight wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:51 am Feels very much like ROH is going to be like the NXT of WWE, and not a fully separate standalone promotion. If the can keep the crossover to a minimum, it may work, but if they are really going to continue the "see the follow up to the ROH title match on he next AEW show on TBS" then I don't think ROH makes it a year. For ROH to continue it has to be different than AEW and to do that you have to identify something about AEW that they aren't doing as well or in the style that people want, and those running AEW will probably have a hard time doing that if history is any example.
ROH being a defunct promotion in the nxt 18 months is possible ... if there is no difference between Ring Of Honor & the bigger organization(s). If warnermedia is looking for a 4th hour of pro-wrestling, what would make ROH more compelling/attractive as opposed to AEW TV: part 3/hour 4?

Is warnermedia even looking for a 4th hour? Or does ROH get picked up by a different network? Similar to wwe USA & FOX.

Or does it do PPVs to continue momentum & spend the summer figuring out the TV situation for a fall release. Even though nowadays I believe the "fall television schedule" is a thing of the past.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:34 pm
EvanKnight wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:51 am Feels very much like ROH is going to be like the NXT of WWE, and not a fully separate standalone promotion. If the can keep the crossover to a minimum, it may work, but if they are really going to continue the "see the follow up to the ROH title match on he next AEW show on TBS" then I don't think ROH makes it a year. For ROH to continue it has to be different than AEW and to do that you have to identify something about AEW that they aren't doing as well or in the style that people want, and those running AEW will probably have a hard time doing that if history is any example.
ROH being a defunct promotion in the nxt 18 months is possible ... if there is no difference between Ring Of Honor & the bigger organization(s). If warnermedia is looking for a 4th hour of pro-wrestling, what would make ROH more compelling/attractive as opposed to AEW TV: part 3/hour 4?

Is warnermedia even looking for a 4th hour? Or does ROH get picked up by a different network? Similar to wwe USA & FOX.

Or does it do PPVs to continue momentum & spend the summer figuring out the TV situation for a fall release. Even though nowadays I believe the "fall television schedule" is a thing of the past.
Similar to WWE USA & Fox???? LMAO.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Also thinking does ROH continue making 'easy to produce' content like Throwback Thursday? Repackage older material to keep some form of momentum?
To keep leveraging the breakout stars from the past?
Drawing attention to the YouTube channel while figuring out other possibilities for media?
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Not much of a fan of Yuta but the storyline with him in AEW trying to impress Danielson, Moxley, Regal him.winning a belt that Danielson once held so he can come back and show him what he captured makes a lot of sense.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Until he gets TV set I don't think it would be a bad idea for Tony to run a few ROH cards before then like he did with AEW in 2019. Say we get a fall relaunch of TV he got SCOH in that's the equivalent to DON 2019, maybe work in the 20th Anniversary (I'd place it on DON weekend on the Saturday) and DBD before having the TV launching point in early October or late September with GBH.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

ROH tag title at AEW.
Danielson vs. Pure champ also at AEW.

When ROH title match at ROH?