Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Montana »

Seems like odd to start releasing a "collectors series" without saying much about it; and not really adding much to the DVDs from what i can tell. Seems like they are just reprinting the potential "best sellers" . Would have been interesting for them to try a blu ray release; OR make it more like a collectors edition; with some sort of bonus. Maybe like an auto; or hand numbered or something. Also seems like something that would have been more beneficial like 12 months ago; when they weren't really running shows; but kinda relaunching. Hindsight 20/20 i guess; but i was surprised they weren't trying to sell more merchandise over that period.

Personally i would have preferred some new compilations. I think something like the Best of Bandido or Jonathan Gresham would sell more than a rerelease of the 12th anniversary show; or War of the Worlds show.
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Montana wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:36 am Seems like odd to start releasing a "collectors series" without saying much about it; and not really adding much to the DVDs from what i can tell. Seems like they are just reprinting the potential "best sellers" . Would have been interesting for them to try a blu ray release; OR make it more like a collectors edition; with some sort of bonus. Maybe like an auto; or hand numbered or something. Also seems like something that would have been more beneficial like 12 months ago; when they weren't really running shows; but kinda relaunching. Hindsight 20/20 i guess; but i was surprised they weren't trying to sell more merchandise over that period.

Personally i would have preferred some new compilations. I think something like the Best of Bandido or Jonathan Gresham would sell more than a rerelease of the 12th anniversary show; or War of the Worlds show.
From the looks of it, they haven't added anything, other than different packaging. So, no reason to buy it if you have the original and collectors might still buy the original on ebay because of the packaging.

The shift to blu-ray is long overdue; even PWG is no longer making DVDs. People that still buy physical media often do so for the better picture/audio quality you get w/ blu-ray. On the off-chance someone from ROH is reading, I would buy blu-rays of shows I already own on DVD.

Also, I'd love a Gresham comp with all his Pure Rules matches and hoping BiTW 21 gets a physical release. As for re-releases, BitW '15 has been out of stock for ages.....
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Anyone watching honorclub event tonight because personally i dont have any urge to watch it
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Yeah im watching it. Rust vs Williams was great!!!!
Wavelet Transform

Also watching. Gresham/Brody was incredible; well-worth going out of your way to watch. I've enjoyed everything they've done tonight. Good matches, the usual quality commentary (and some fine guest commentary from Brian Johnston and Shane Taylor), and nice camera work.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

It's been a really good show. Brody vs. Gresham was great. I also enjoyed how hard Ian pushed to get Effy over on commentary.
Wavelet Transform

They're acknowledging the reboot on commentary, phrasing it as "this era of Ring of Honor coming to an end". Taven/Bennett acting like it's the end, while EC3 talking about it like it's a storyline during the main event, so mixed signals.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

The 2 hour show time was perfect. 6 solid to great matches with enough time to tell stories. It's a shame this era of ROH took this long to use this format.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Wavelet Transform wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:04 pm They're acknowledging the reboot on commentary, phrasing it as "this era of Ring of Honor coming to an end". Taven/Bennett acting like it's the end, while EC3 talking about it like it's a storyline during the main event, so mixed signals.
Yeah; mixed signals for sure. Very enjoyable show with good matches; but it's kinda depressing seeing this as the beginning of the end. They really do seem to be considering this an end.

The part i did not like on this show; is the tag titles match; and a special someone comes out. Just felt so out of place; and took away from the match/moment. They had to close that chapter i guess... but like 6 months too late; or whatever.

Also; i don't know why anyone who wasn't planning to watch final Battle; sign up for HonorClub now; 2 live events for 10$; which is a better deal; than most any other IPPV out there.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Montana wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:22 pm
Wavelet Transform wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:04 pm They're acknowledging the reboot on commentary, phrasing it as "this era of Ring of Honor coming to an end". Taven/Bennett acting like it's the end, while EC3 talking about it like it's a storyline during the main event, so mixed signals.
Also; i don't know why anyone who wasn't planning to watch final Battle; sign up for HonorClub now; 2 live events for 10$; which is a better deal; than most any other IPPV out there.
Very smart if you’re a fan, but very stupid for a struggling promotion to do. Should have put it on Halloween weekend or something or even last week. Especially if it’s a taped show. UFC used to have 2 big PPVs a month a few years ago. They still might. It’s a stupid decision for ROH to make. Great if you’re a fan, horrible as a business decision.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Whatever....

The show was really good and the 2 hours flew by with great action. Flamitas a great heel.
Montana

Post by Montana »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:53 pm
Montana wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:22 pm
Very smart if you’re a fan, but very stupid for a struggling promotion to do. Should have put it on Halloween weekend or something or even last week. Especially if it’s a taped show. UFC used to have 2 big PPVs a month a few years ago. They still might. It’s a stupid decision for ROH to make. Great if you’re a fan, horrible as a business decision.
Seems like a last minute decision as they recorded like the first week of NOV. Basically feels like a way to get ready for Final Battle and close up some storylines. Don't think this would have been the plan, IF ROH wasn't going on Hiatus. (IE: Running barely any honor club events in 2021) They probably changed everything. So at this point; why not just give 2 shows for 10$ instead of 1 show for 10$ each. Plus with their plan to not air new content on ROH TV from JAN-MAR; Thus only a couple more weeks of TV needed.

In terms of horrible Sinclair business decisions; i mean; this is just one of many.... small in scale to the others imo. The worst part it was like ROH wasn't even trying to run shows / generate additional income with HC events from late 2020 through 2021. Not sure if any of it would have mattered; but at least they would have been generating more income than none.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

that ogk win was so emmotional..2 roh guys that love the company, not the 2 best wrestlers in the world but two of the most loyal roh guys ever.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

monster mafia wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:25 am that ogk win was so emmotional..2 roh guys that love the company, not the 2 best wrestlers in the world but two of the most loyal roh guys ever.
Mike Bennett didn’t leave to Impact and the WWE?
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:59 am
monster mafia wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:25 am that ogk win was so emmotional..2 roh guys that love the company, not the 2 best wrestlers in the world but two of the most loyal roh guys ever.
Mike Bennett didn’t leave to Impact and the WWE?
Don’t forget Taven stealing tanning location, getting caught and tossed from an NXT camp
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

color me interested
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I noticed Josh Alexander and Tracy Williams in the video. Definitely intrigued.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

It looks to be Greshams first wrestling show. Now im hyped like a mofo. Seth Rollins, Roderick Strong and Mustafa Ali commented on it
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Thought the Honor For All show was pretty good. Absolutely zero interest in Matt Taven in a starring role but I thought he was good in the tag. There's no point in it, but he and Bennett were a great smarmy heel team and are absolutely dreadfully phony as the we love ROH babyfaces. Bennett is complete as a performer but he's as good a heel as ROH probably has and he's been booked like a goof. I don't get it.

King/Gresham was really strong, very clear the destination has been Gresh/Bandido even before the financing got yanked out. No argument in that being the featured match fitting of a Final Battle main event.

The lone fault in the show is the same fault ROH has mostly had during Covid and that's the lack of crowd. Say what you want about ROH fans, especially the ones of the current day who really have no idea what they missed but they make noise, and they react when given something to feed off of. That's the story of wrestling, wrestlers, especially in ROH where the building is smaller usually help fire up the talent and vice versa. There's no reason a show of this quality should be getting minimal talk including going out of business. There's also zero reason ROH could not have done a wide array of shows like this during the pandemic and aired them sporadically, 2-3x a month to keep the company's fans engaged.
Captain Podcast