Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Shanahan

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Shanahan »

monster mafia wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:34 am questions about this....they sign or re-sign wrestlers at the end of the year? they let them go? allow their wrestlers to work the indies freely for the future?
Sinclair has lost tons of money last 2 years. ROH isn't making funny. ROH needs to cut expenses. Anyone who is FA at end of the year will be gone. The UK/Aussies guys won't be coming over. ROH will say they are coming back but the company is over.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Fightful: Based on who I've spoken with, ROH releases are effective at the end of the year. If a contract goes beyond that, they're paid until March 31
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Shanahan wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:51 am
monster mafia wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:34 am questions about this....they sign or re-sign wrestlers at the end of the year? they let them go? allow their wrestlers to work the indies freely for the future?
Sinclair has lost tons of money last 2 years. ROH isn't making funny. ROH needs to cut expenses. Anyone who is FA at end of the year will be gone. The UK/Aussies guys won't be coming over. ROH will say they are coming back but the company is over.
Impact fans are having a filed day mocking roh laying off people
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Here is the big question...where do all these guys land? AEW can't scoop them all up. Impact & MLW won't have the money. Looks like NJPW will be the biggest benefactors of ROH's death.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

they pay talent the last 18 months and not releasing anyone until this point.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

MORE ON TODAY'S RING OF HONOR ANNOUNCEMENT, INCLUDING WHAT IT MEANS FOR ROH'S SIGNED TALENTS AND TV SERIES
By Mike Johnson on 2021-10-27 15:53:00
PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple talents who were on today's Ring of Honor Zoom call that they were informed that if their contracts were expiring at the end of the year, they will not be renewed. Talents who have deals beyond 1/1/22 will remain under contract for at least a certain period of time.

Ring of Honor is still slated to tape episodes of their weekly TV series this weekend in Baltimore and the 12/11 Final Battle PPV is still on.

We are also told that the promotion does have a venue currently locked in for Wrestlemania weekend 2022 in Dallas, Texas, which would be the announced Supercard of Honor.

Ring of Honor's weekly TV series will continue on during this announced "hiatus", using a mix of archival footage and more.

I just completed a 30 minute conversation with Joe Koff about today's decision for
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

bryan alvarez: ROH will do tapings in November and then run Final Battle on PPV. Nobody's contract will be renewed, but everyone under contract will finish out the year. They are, however, able to work anywhere they want immediately. We are told rumors Sinclair canceled the show are not true.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

A reminder that 2/23 is a Wednesday
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Shanahan wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:54 am Here is the big question...where do all these guys land? AEW can't scoop them all up. Impact & MLW won't have the money. Looks like NJPW will be the biggest benefactors of ROH's death.
New Japan isn't exactly swimming in profits either. They haven't been able to make money on the events in Japan and I highly doubt the America venture is doing better considering the talent they use and the lack of agendas attendance so far.

Unfortunately this may lead to a lot of talented wrestlers or of work.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

This all feels very end of days. If it is the end it’s a desperate shame. As someone that has been around watching and writing about this company since 2002 it is incredibly sad. But at the same time, having been around for so long it means I have been watching a company which has dramatically lost its way and drifted far from both its core vision/purpose - and also from what is relevant in the professional wrestling industry by 2021. The safety-first approach with which ROH/Sinclair approached the pandemic is admirable. But there’s no doubt this company has been haemorrhaging money - and after The Elite’s exodus and the breakdown of the NJPW relationship they’ve not had a cash cow to milk given the complete lack of a relevant, high quality, well-booked cutting edge in-ring product and at times cripplingly sanitised, corporate presentation.

And if it’s not the end - if they don’t return with a new booker, the ‘new ROH’, ‘ROH 2.0’ or whatever we’re calling it will fail again…
KL_

Post by KL_ »

I see that Joe Koff discusses this decision for PWInsiderElite. Has anyone here listened what he said?
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

KL_ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:48 pm I see that Joe Koff discusses this decision for PWInsiderElite. Has anyone here listened what he said?
Basically how times are tough,ROH should of listened to fans,sinclair didn't cancel them,he praised wrestlers/Hunter/others behind scenes,etc,etc,etc...nothing earth shattering. Alot of the same corporate speak by Koff.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Damn. Look how things can change. Can you imagine that less than 2 years ago ROH resigned Scurll with so high salary for him?
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

KL_ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:08 pm Damn. Look how things can change. Can you imagine that less than 2 years ago ROH resigned Scurll with so high salary for him?
COVID wrecked a lot of things. However, ROH could have taped “events” for HonorClub and shown them on months without PPVS, they chose not to. ROH could have run events with fans, they chose to run without even when things got better. When you don’t really try and put fourth effort, this happens.
Montana

Post by Montana »

monster mafia wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:57 am they pay talent the last 18 months and not releasing anyone until this point.
Most thoughts exactly. Not to mention, barely run any shows.

I knew something was coming or something was up.

Releasing all the talent is a major mistake, and no clue how they plan to rebuild without any top talent. All the top guys will get signed elsewhere, and ROH is be left with the second tier talent.

My guess is most of the top talent was leaving anyways. Pco and rush already said. I’m guessing a few other big names gave their notice as well that led to this decision.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

It's a big if but if roh doesn't come back i see njpw taking their place in America given how they are going after big or decent names and it's been reported new japan close to a real tv deal
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Geez, big news.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

There really is little point in telling fans that they will be back later next year if they aren’t going to be.

Financially they obviously can’t support such a roster with COVID restrictions both of their own doing and other areas. With doing this they can hopefully get back talent of a pay per appearance basis and rebuild from there. They definitely have needed to look at the roster as a whole, this certainly is a situation that allows it.

Overall if this is the end of ROH then I will be forever grateful to a company that saved my wrestling fandom while giving me something to care about in wrestling. There are hundreds of wrestlers, people in all aspects of the company that worked incredibly hard for the company and that will never go unnoticed. All I can really say is thank you to everyone who made me bang those F’N rails.

As much as I enjoy wrestling I certainly don’t have the passion I once did and ROH generally was keeping me going. If my interest in wrestling is to fade away it feels like the right time.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Don't be shocked to see Top ROH guys who haven't worked NJPW since 2019 announced for next months NJPW show.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Brilliant move. Draws attention to ROH without going thru the forbidden door. This decision may help Final Battle live attendance & recognition. Under no obligations to book talent until wrestlemania weekend. Supercard of Honor can be done similar to PWG (or GCW). Draws new crowds in April out of curiosity. But most important, Ring Of Honor can figure out how to restructure & differentiate itself from the rest of the market. Let everyone brainstorm how to create a customer first product, then work backwards, and reverse engineer how to operate...
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!