Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by monster mafia »

REACH FOR THE SKY BOY.

indyfan

Post by indyfan »

did anyone watch it? was the match good?
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

The commentary team teased the titles being defended in roh
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:44 am The commentary team teased the titles being defended in roh
Oh man, can’t wait!!!!
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

indyfan wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:34 am did anyone watch it? was the match good?
Was an enjoyable wild brawl. About what I expected, enhanced greatly by Lenny & Rocky on commentary.
Captain Podcast
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:34 pm
indyfan wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:34 am did anyone watch it? was the match good?
Was an enjoyable wild brawl. About what I expected, enhanced greatly by Lenny & Rocky on commentary.
Lenny? So I was hearing Lenny Leonard calling that show? Hopefully he'll be working with GCW and others going forward because his voice should be heard on someone's broadcast.
AnHonorableMention

dhads7161 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:44 pm
Lenny? So I was hearing Lenny Leonard calling that show? Hopefully he'll be working with GCW and others going forward because his voice should be heard on someone's broadcast.
I got flustered re: The Rave discussion. Anger confused the dates. So War Ready, this show, had Lenny Leonard of ROH fame and Kevin Gill, Bloodspot 7 had Lenny Leonard and Rocky Romero. Dave Prazak also dips in and out on commentary there health permitting. GCW is a great company if you like what ROH should have been had they stucked to the formula.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:15 pm

I got flustered re: The Rave discussion. Anger confused the dates. So War Ready, this show, had Lenny Leonard of ROH fame and Kevin Gill, Bloodspot 7 had Lenny Leonard and Rocky Romero. Dave Prazak also dips in and out on commentary there health permitting. GCW is a great company if you like what ROH should have been had they stucked to the formula.
Doesn't GCW swim more on the hardcore side; more so than ROH ever did? I get GCW does a mix of hardcore and not; but like i feel like ROH built up to their hardcore matches as blow off style matches; where as GCW; would have a death match every show, every other; sometimes more than one.

They've certainly got some buzz at the moment; and running Hammerstein is great for them. I feel they are closer to an ECW/CZW in my opinion; but i've never actually watched their stuff... just follow it a bit. I'm not a big death match / hardcore guy anymore. Feels like they are starting to go more mainstream now though.. with guys like Cardonna/Mox/Briscoes.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Are they drawing more fans than ROH?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

indyfan wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:29 am Are they drawing more fans than ROH?
yep, they are touring a lot.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

monster mafia wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:20 am
indyfan wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:29 am Are they drawing more fans than ROH?
yep, they are touring a lot.
That looks bad on ROHs part
DougN

Post by DougN »

Unless something crazy happens or ROH stumbles upon 3-4 top young guys, I don't see that changing either. GCW can get away with using a lot of contracted guys since they are only running iPPV and live events with no TV and no real framework in place. MLW could have beaten GCW to be honest, but their quest to be on TV has robbed them of that so they're struggling behind ROH and Impact.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

This weeks TV isn’t up on the website yet?

I’d disagree that talent is what’s holding ROH back, they have more than enough capable workers to be delivering a buzz worthy product.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Montana wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:21 am

Doesn't GCW swim more on the hardcore side; more so than ROH ever did? I get GCW does a mix of hardcore and not; but like i feel like ROH built up to their hardcore matches as blow off style matches; where as GCW; would have a death match every show, every other; sometimes more than one.

They've certainly got some buzz at the moment; and running Hammerstein is great for them. I feel they are closer to an ECW/CZW in my opinion; but i've never actually watched their stuff... just follow it a bit. I'm not a big death match / hardcore guy anymore. Feels like they are starting to go more mainstream now though.. with guys like Cardonna/Mox/Briscoes.
I've been to a lot of GCW shows. It's not just the talent and style of matches that has created the buzz. It's a wild atmosphere. It's almost like being at a concert. I actually dislike watching their events on TV as the commentary usually stinks and the camera work is bad but being there live is an event unlike any other wrestling company right now.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Oh ROH has great talent, but none of them really have any buzz which is why I was suggesting 4 new guys to kind of shake things up. Not slighting the roster at all -- love Gresham, Bandido, Brody, Lethal, Hot Sauce, Rhett, Deppen, Dalton, and others -- I just think those guys are creating buzz so new fresh exciting names would.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:21 am

First off GCW does a little of everything, yeah they do the death matches, but there's an audience for that and in spite of me not being the target audience I find it acceptable to give fans variety. In fact, giving fans variety and a little something from columns A-Z is what makes GCW so special. It's what made ROH so incredibly special in 2002-2009. Secondly, when you have a product with a buzz you go out of your way to spend money on talent which is where Cardona, Moxley, and the Briscoes fall. This EXACT concept is what got ROH buzz in 2014-2018, they took chances on talent and spent money because they were capitalizing off the buzz. As long as GCW doesn't get complacent and cocky, there's no reason to think they cannot continue to be successful.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Thougs?

Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

RIP ROH. It was fun a majority of the time.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

questions about this....they sign or re-sign wrestlers at the end of the year? they let them go? allow their wrestlers to work the indies freely for the future?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Meltzer: ROH released everyone from contracts, more to come.