Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
NewROHFan2020

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:45 am
Shanahan wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:03 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:08 pm

Then I would take what I said as fact. He's probably reached with what's taped and what's left the maximum number of matches he was contracted for.
You're just pulling that out of your ass to shit on ROH. Par for the course.
Feels like it's not worth it to watch or support wrestling anymore because most products feel the same and the products you do like are not growing or you are being told just to give up on mlw or roh
How old are you? If someone is telling you to "give up on MLW or ROH", you don't have to listen to them. You know that right? Watch what you like, even if people like fammico tell you it's shitty. People like that read dirtsheets all day and think they know it all.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:24 am

Feels like it's not worth it to watch or support wrestling anymore because most products feel the same and the products you do like are not growing or you are being told just to give up on mlw or roh
How old are you? If someone is telling you to "give up on MLW or ROH", you don't have to listen to them. You know that right? Watch what you like, even if people like fammico tell you it's shitty. People like that read dirtsheets all day and think they know it all.
It's hard to enjoy wrestling when you want to talk about with other people but with fans nowadays it all or nothing
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

If ROH bends the knee to AEW like Impact and AAA have, I'll just stop watching wrestling altogether.

If the current WWE/AEW style is going to infect the whole business then it's a lost cause.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

If ROH hot-shotted the tag titles off of VU onto Dragon Lee to make him a double champ for him to walk out the door without them getting something out of him, they seriously need to re-evaluate, because even with him staying its a highly questionable thing. Dragon Lee is a top-notch performer and he's being wasted in tag and multi-man matches.

ROH has the talent and foundation (no pun intended) to put out a top notch event, hands down. I've said it before the last 2 PPVs, but they really need to go into the next PPV trying to hit a home run when they seem content trying for singles. WWE is WWE and will be for the foreseeable future, AEW has now firmly entrenched themselves as the #2 US company. Impact, MLW, GCW, NWA, PWG, NJPW of America, among others are all to some degree vying for their piece of the pie, and honestly creating more buzz currently doing it.

They have been way too complacent, IMO, and I get that their main focus seems to be as a TV distribution product, but if they don't get back to telling compelling stories and booking to put butts in seats, they will lose the audience.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Then I would take what I said as fact. He's probably reached with what's taped and what's left the maximum number of matches he was contracted for.
Really? I think they are all very different. They may share a few guys but they all have different things going for them. I think it's a great time to be a wrestling fan. You have to give credit to AEW and sadly the pandemic for causing this.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

WWE, AEW, MLW, and Impact are completely indistinguishable and NJPW is trying their hardest to join them.

The only way to tell them apart is that the former two look about 25 times more expensive.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:53 am WWE, AEW, MLW, and Impact are completely indistinguishable and NJPW is trying their hardest to join them.

The only way to tell them apart is that the former two look about 25 times more expensive.
That’s cute putting MLW in the same sentence with those other 3.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:26 am
famicommander wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:53 am WWE, AEW, MLW, and Impact are completely indistinguishable and NJPW is trying their hardest to join them.

That’s cute putting MLW in the same sentence with those other 3.
According to the viewership statistics Variety posted yesterday, MLW draws 2% of US adults per month while Impact draws 4%, ROH 5%, NJPW 3%.

So yeah, MLW is the smallest of them, but that's not even what we were comparing. We were comparing the style of wrestling they present.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

ROH loosing the reigns on talent is the best thing they could have done in ages, I’m sure the hope is to gain a larger fan base back because of it, but for everyone involved I feels like a win win.

It also gets trusted people from ROH eyes on talent from areas they may not get a lot of access too which again is Beth sensible.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I posted a bit about this in the other section, but Women of Wrestling signed a syndication deal with both ViacomCBS and Sinclair Broadcast Group to distribute their TV show to 167 markets starting next fall.

So it seems pretty obvious that ROH would let the women's division appear on WOW TV with that in mind. Maybe they'll even do a two hour block for ROH and WOW on Sinclair stations.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

monster mafia wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:47 pm It is roh dragon lee.

Or ya know I've actually spoken to people about how their deals are structured and Dragon Lee would likely have a similar situation. Either way, it's a bad look cause your tag team champion is losing on national television.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:11 pm

Or ya know I've actually spoken to people about how their deals are structured and Dragon Lee would likely have a similar situation. Either way, it's a bad look cause your tag team champion is losing on national television.
So you are just assuming. "would likely".....thanks for admitting that. Everything is a bad situation to you. Months ago it was AEW wouldn't deal with ROH because they had nothing for them but now that ROH guys are branching out it's now a bad look. You just flip flop so you can shit on ROH non stop. I don't have a big problem with that if you would just admit that but you still make excuses about it.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

the "I've actually spoken to people about" shit again hahahahahahaha
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

From that Variety link Chris posted the other day, just because I think it's interesting

Percentages of US adults to have watched each of these promotions or shows in September 2021:
Smackdown - 18%
Raw - 17%
Dynamite - 6%
Rampage - 5%
Ring of Honor - 5%
Dark Side of the Ring - 5%
Impact Wrestling - 4%
NJPW - 3% (presumably includes the highlight show on Roku, NJPW Strong, and the main NJPW shows on NJPW World and Fite)
Elevation - 3%
Dark - 3%
MLW - 2%
GCW - 2%

No numbers given for NXT, NXT UK, Main Event, 205 Live, CWFH, NWA, AAA/CMLL US broadcasts, etc.

Big takeaways:
-WWE, ROH, Impact, NJPW, and MLW all need to do way better with young people. AEW is clearly destroying all of them in people under 18 and people under 50 given the relative differences between these numbers and the Nielsen numbers. For AEW to be this close to the others in adult viewers but so much higher in total viewers and the demo-rating they must have an extremely young skewing fanbase which is a very healthy sign.

-ROH's audience would have to be pretty ancient looking at this, which isn't all that surprising when you see all the old people products advertised on their show. Also really hard for any kids to watch when it airs at 1:00 AM.

-Streaming, DVR, and VOD have to be a big factor here. Clearly the overwhelming majority of people watching AEW are doing it on TNT while WWE and the others are picking up a ton of (probably very low monetary value) viewers through their various apps and streaming services.

-GCW is doing absolutely great comparatively. I wonder if someone with some cash will take a shot on taking them to the next level.

-Vice's digital presence is obviously a lot bigger than their cable presence for DSOTR to be where it is on the list

-AEW's Youtube shows being where they are just demonstrates the difference I always try to highlight between Youtube views and TV viewers. And of course the huge international bend on Youtube.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Shanahan wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:12 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:11 pm

So you are just assuming. "would likely".....thanks for admitting that. Everything is a bad situation to you. Months ago it was AEW wouldn't deal with ROH because they had nothing for them but now that ROH guys are branching out it's now a bad look. You just flip flop so you can shit on ROH non stop. I don't have a big problem with that if you would just admit that but you still make excuses about it.

Who is saying it’s bad talent are able to work other places? These people are all independent contractors. That means someone like Roman Reigns should legally be allowed to work for CZW and someone like Dragon Lee should be able to work for WWE and someone like Jon Gresham should be able to work for AEW. Join us in modern society.
monster mafia wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:38 pm the "I've actually spoken to people about" shit again hahahahahahaha
This tends to happen when you don’t hide behind a computer and you’ve been around a long time. You make friends, and some people exchange information with you. It’s a social construct you’d understand if you weren’t, well, you.
Captain Podcast
DougN

Post by DougN »

famicommander wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:46 pm Omega vs Danielson was a dead ass average match by Danielson's ROH standards.
You have to be a special kind of moron to write that sentence.

Again, let's be clear. You don't have to think Danielson-Omega was his best match. I don't. You don't have to have it in your top 5. I might not, I haven't put too much thought into it. You don't have to have it in your top 10. But to say it was "dead ass average" by ROH standards is the must idiotic statement to make on a match like that. It's a statement that comes from someone only being a contrarian, wanting just to downplay it because everyone else raves about it.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

DougN wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:49 pm
famicommander wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:46 pm Omega vs Danielson was a dead ass average match by Danielson's ROH standards.
You have to be a special kind of moron to write that sentence.

Again, let's be clear. You don't have to think Danielson-Omega was his best match. I don't. You don't have to have it in your top 5. I might not, I haven't put too much thought into it. You don't have to have it in your top 10. But to say it was "dead ass average" by ROH standards is the must idiotic statement to make on a match like that. It's a statement that comes from someone only being a contrarian, wanting just to downplay it because everyone else raves about it.
Struck a nerve I see.

Sorry, but it was nothing special. Not by Omega's standards and CERTAINLY not by Danielson-ROH standards.
DougN

Post by DougN »

No, you didn't strike a nerve. You just showed everyone here how far you can fit your head up your ass, which is pretty impressive so kudos to you.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

DougN wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:36 pm No, you didn't strike a nerve. You just showed everyone here how far you can fit your head up your ass, which is pretty impressive so kudos to you.
You need to get a grip on reality if your reaction to someone calling a wrestling match average is to screech insults at them.

Everyone is looking at AEW through rose tinted glasses. Everyone wants so badly for it to be so much better than it actually is because it's something besides WWE that's actually succeeding.

To me nothing about that match was special except the crowd.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Okay, Principal Skinner.