Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Shanahan

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Shanahan »

Now we just need Yehi and Rust to join Foundation and they are set.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Violence Unlimited are a huge highlight in ROH and they need to have the four of them locked down long term. I still can’t understand at all the point of the tag title reign they got though. I honestly can’t think of any good reason things played out like they did. That, they way Homicide is presented as a background in promos, and all the “hire Deppen” signs are really leaving me worried though.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

The thing with Violence Unlimited is all those guys make extra money with appearances in other promotions. Ring Of Honor should sign all 4 to contracts & let them work for other companies as side hustles. This would be incentive to stick with ROH.
I like Violence Unlimited & think they can be next the LIJ in terms of relevance in the Pro-wrestling world. They have an anti-hero vibe. Genuine guys that understand the history of man is a history of violence.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Sounds like Miranda alize will be getting help from amy rose and the segment with pj black trying to figure out how bad flip gordon memory was is kinda funny
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Dr Black is awesome.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Fite/Triller update:

The International Boxing Federation has declared Triller in default on their $6,000,000+ purse bid for Teofimo Lopez vs George Kambosos. Control of the fight falls to Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing, who is expected to announce a date and location shortly for the fight on DAZN.

The repercussions of this for Triller are:
1. They are banned from participating in future IBF purse bids for a minimum of six months
2. They lose the 1.2 million dollars they placed in escrow upon winning the purse bid (20% of the total); this sum will be split 65/35 between champion and challenger, who will both still receive the purses from the original Matchroom bid. Neither guy will ultimately make as much as Triller promised them, but they'll both still make career high paydays and more than they would've if Matchroom or Top Rank had won the original purse bid instead of Triller. But still, Triller jerked them around and cost these two young prime fighters eight months of their careers.

After how their Holyfield vs Belfort and Paul vs Askren events came off, this is pretty much the death nail of Triller ever being anything relevant in the boxing space.

We'll have to wait and see if this impacts Fite. Hopefully it influences these jokers to get out of the combat sports/wrestling business altogether and sell Fite to someone competent before it starts to hurt all the promotions that rely on Fite. Every major promotion outside WWE uses Fite to some degree and plenty of indies rely on it entirely.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Bobby fish is officially all elite
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:01 pm Bobby fish is officially all elite
AEW is killing MLW.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Shanahan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:17 pm
AEW is killing MLW.
One thing i can't stand is aew fans are keep cheering aew to sign even more talent
roacheyyy

Post by roacheyyy »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:48 pm
AEW is killing MLW.
One thing i can't stand is aew fans are keep cheering aew to sign even more talent
Yeah where do they get off wanting as many talented people as possible in the company? They should be happy having 12 good wrestlers only like ROH
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

roacheyyy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:55 pm

AEW is killing MLW.
Yeah where do they get off wanting as many talented people as possible in the company? They should be happy having 12 good wrestlers only like ROH
it's called hoarding talent but only wwe gets called out for doing thar
DougN

Post by DougN »

Signing Bobby Fish is not hoarding talent. It's signing a guy clearly to help elevate the abundance of young talent they have.

Hoarding talent is hiring every hot guy off the indies and making them a jobber on RAW, while pressuring them to sign 5 year deals and then cutting them all the same time to flood the market.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

AEW and MLW play play nice so I'm sure Fish will get to work both.

Is AEW hoarding talent, kind of. To me it feels like they are still figuring out the right amount of talent to have under contract with a bit of signing anyone who is friends with the EVPs. As long as they stop handing out contracts like a kid in a candy store at some point they'll find that right number for the amount of TV time they have.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I think some releases, or contract expirations, are gonna happen in bulk over the next year.

The big glaring guy on their roster that is not used is Joey Janela.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I don't see how/why AEW needed Bobby Fish. Good for Bobby, and he can be a good mentor; but you've got plenty of other guys on the roster, that also fill that role. Like Kaz.

To me, it's not hoarding ...if you USE the wrestler. But how many wrestlers do they have that just fall off the radar for 4-6 weeks at a time. Like Sammy G; who was red hot and barely did anything for a month or two. Or Lance Archer; beat moxley; and then like they've done nothing with him after that. Jake Hager, Shawn Spears, Kaz, QT's faction, Dark Order, Wing men, Acclaim, Brian Cage, Christopher Daniels, LAX... Meanwhile they continue to sign guys like Wheeler Yuta to be a cheerleader for Orange; and Lee Moriarty to be on youtube... I can see Bobby Fish going in yet another tag team.

Even guys like Pac , and Andrade really haven't done much. Maybe wrestle every 4 weeks if that. Tony Kahn seems to like to use the new shiny toy/ wrestler method. Which is exciting as a fan... but then your old favorites are like cast aways. What's going to happen when Kevin Steen comes in?? El Generico? I'm pretty sure they are already at MAX run-in's to get people on the show. Pretty close to Max valets/manager participation during matches.

I dont see a difference between what WWE does, and what AEW is doing. It's not like Rampage's ratings are on fire. Believe they were below 600K last episode... for their 3rd hour of TV. So why sign all of these guys?? Even with 4 hours of TV, you still wouldn't have a majority of them on.

Personally; i'd rather see some guys like Lee Moriarty and Wheeler in ROH/MLW/Impact, and cut their teeth a bit, before AEW. It'll be really easy to get lost in the shuffle now in AEW. But i see why wrestlers would want to go there. If im TK; i'm trimming the fat off the roster; but he's not doing that.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Sammy has had 12 matches in 2021. It's almost mid October. What was he doing the rest of the time? Catering? Imagine if WWE signed him and he had 12 fucking matches and won a title out of the blue. This AEW love fest is fucking weird. I get that they claim to be the anti-wwe but they are just a better version of a shitty product. A ton of matches get highly overrated and stop & go storylines or ones that make little sense are ignored because of the "greater good".
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AEW is killing MLW.
All we have heard for last year is how ROH has too many guys for 1 hour of TV a week, yet AEW can sign over 30 new people this year and thats just fine and dandy. They can have 3 min match on dark and a match on dynamite every 5 weeks.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:03 am
it's called hoarding talent but only wwe gets called out for doing thar
Hoarding talent is signing people and not using them you goof. When you have no job in your chosen field you go to where money is offered. AEW and MLW, as well as Impact are offering jobs, ROH is busy sleeping through the year. Am I thrilled to see Bobby Q. Fish signed with AEW? No. Do I understand that he was offered a job and accepted, yes. When you realize the goal of wrestling is to make money and pay your bills, and not please a guy with the grammar and common sense of a guy sleeping in an alley, you might understand that.

As for those complaining wrestlers are being used inconsistently at AEW. I don't think people recognize just how physical wrestling is. Nobody, and I mean nobody, should be wrestling every single week. That goes for WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, XYZ, ABC, and 123. The human body is not meant to take that kind of beating weekly for 10 minutes or whatever timeline. I also think a lot of these guys haven't been in the ring because they've been hurt. Sammy is an example of that. Not every injury must be played up and publicized to the entire internet wrestling community.

I've stopped posting here because so many of you have a very hard time grasping the concept of what Ring of Honor was supposed to be. You're still holding on to hope that it's going to be bigger than it is. In reality it's sadly shrinking because its management thought too little of their talent and there won't ever be a change in that theory. It sucks. There's a bunch of hard working, good hearted, talented folk at ROH both in the ring and outside of it. The brass got complacent and got beat. They clearly don't want to invest or can't invest in recruiting the large amount of free agents out there so why bitch and moan that someone else is willing to give a person a job?
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:27 pm
As for those complaining wrestlers are being used inconsistently at AEW. I don't think people recognize just how physical wrestling is. Nobody, and I mean nobody, should be wrestling every single week. That goes for WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, XYZ, ABC, and 123. The human body is not meant to take that kind of beating weekly for 10 minutes or whatever timeline. I also think a lot of these guys haven't been in the ring because they've been hurt. Sammy is an example of that. Not every injury must be played up and publicized to the entire internet wrestling community.
Not being in a match is one thing; and there are ways to keep someone involved like Ricky Starks. The problem is they simply just have too many wrestlers. People are figuring out their booking habits. Using a guy, only to be in a faction and do run in's... really isn't using a guy in my books. Like what has Dark Order accomplished in the ring in the last 12 months?

I like AEW as much as the next person; but WWE gets called out on everything; and AEW gets a pass on everything. AEW does a lot more right than wrong, imo... which is probably part of it.

The other downside to wrestling every 4-6 weeks; is AEW is grabbing some wrestlers in their early 20's... who need more ring time/practice. Or someone like Anthony Ogogo; who has vanished. Someone like DB; and CM Punk, 4-6 weeks between matches make sense. The other thing would be how physical the matches are. Ric Flair was able to wrestle 365 days a year; i'd imagine someone like orange cassidy could do the same with his style.

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:27 pm
I've stopped posting here because so many of you have a very hard time grasping the concept of what Ring of Honor was supposed to be. You're still holding on to hope that it's going to be bigger than it is. In reality it's sadly shrinking because its management thought too little of their talent and there won't ever be a change in that theory. It sucks. There's a bunch of hard working, good hearted, talented folk at ROH both in the ring and outside of it. The brass got complacent and got beat. They clearly don't want to invest or can't invest in recruiting the large amount of free agents out there so why bitch and moan that someone else is willing to give a person a job?
You really can't blame ROH fans for wanting more for the company. (not saying you are) ... but yeah Management doesn't clearly communicate what ROH's plan are. It's smoke and mirrors when leadership speaks. Like when they just stop running shows; with very little info/gameplan. Purely speculation on my behalf; but it doesn't feel like talent is happy either. At least not featured talent. Especially when PCO & Rush are talking about their contracts running out months before.

There was talks a while back about ROH and Forbidden door... but yeah; it's hard to root for ROH now; as it's like cheering for the team in last place. Personally still one of my favorite promotions; but like you said, leadership has no ambition to grow the product; and tell you one thing; and do another.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I think the main difference between AEW and WWE is they have stronger vehicles to carry such a large roster and I imagine enough cash right now that even the basic salary is enough to take a chance on. Now wether that is sustainable I don’t know, I feel overall it could become too much just because there aren’t the numbers that would say yes to sustaining such a roster and so much programming.

There is an easy fix for all of this, ROH partners with AEW and the likes of Garcia become in someway part of the roster. There is a win/win for everyone here, far more Impact could ever show. It just has to happen the right way.

Personally apart from some parts of the roster, I’m happy I’m general with a lot of the direction ROH is showing, the women’s division especially shows a real thought out process of using talent and their best qualities. I think there’s a much better use of talent and their qualities, from how you film them, presentation in general. I think ROH has gotten over a major hump with introducing and cementing guys like SOS and Dak and have them in good positions that can really be taken forward, while being protected. The worst part part is probably match making and general lack of time of help everyone on the roster.