Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
EvanKnight

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by EvanKnight »

Montana wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:43 am I think no matter how you slice it... it hurts ROH not running live events.

Crowd or not; how good is the build to final battle going to be over the next 8-10 weeks of TV. Maybe they can pull together something decent; but seems like episodic shows; lead to better build for storylines. Filming TV every 6 weeks or so; only get so involved with storylines. For example; Jay Lethal will likely have 1 match recorded at the tapings; and maybe a backstage segment or promo. Nothing else to build the storylines/feuds. So you may see Lethal once over the next 6 weeks. (Or anyone else on the roster) The Taven/Vincent feud is over. LFI looks like they may be disbanding soon. Just feels like a lot of uncertainty ahead for ROH. Really they should be brainstorming and focusing on what to do for the 20th anniversary show.

The one area; with the least uncertainty is the women's division which seems where a majority of their focus has been.
With Week-by-week and a women's show along with the weekly TV, they really need to be doing a better job keeping things involved. Unless I missed something, there has been nothing of Vincent showing up at the end of DBD. You can't have someone interject themselves in the top of the card main event, and then have 8 shows go by with no advancement...
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Montana wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:19 pm
monster mafia wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:27 pm No way taylor is better than brody, no fucking way 🤣🤣🤣

To be fair; i think you could make the argument that Shane Taylor has better better matches and promos in ROH since 2019. Brody seems to have a bigger name around the wrestling world. They have a lot of similarities in the way they wrestle.

In a way; i think these two guys are in similar positions to Taven and Marty in 2019. Brody may or may not have one foot out the door; but more "buzz" similar to Marty; Or someone like Shane Taylor; like Taven, which you would hope would be more loyal to the brand.

Personally; i think with Marty and PCO leaving; it's only a matter of time for Brody to go.

Another name; that just has kind of faded out of the picture is Flip Gordon. He's another guy; that if he commits to ROH; i think would be in line for title run. That being said; he might have one foot out the door as well. He resigned in May 2020 i believe; with a multi-year deal; so it's too bad his potential push never really came through. I assume it's a 2 year deal; which puts him under contract until May 22.
This is pretty much a fair on point assessment. Shane does many things better than Brody, but Brody comes across with a bit more of the IT factor, although to be fair booking does play some part in that. It's the age-old wrestling argument though about what makes "better", it's kind of like comparing Bam Bam Bigelow to the Ultimate Warrior.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

ECK'S FILES:

* Former ROH Pure Champion Jonathan Gresham will make a major announcement on ROH’s YouTube channel on Monday at 9 a.m. Eastern.

Gresham, whose one-year reign as champion was ended by Josh Woods at Death Before Dishonor a few weeks ago, hasn’t indicated what the announcement will be about.

There’s backstage speculation that Gresham is going to announce when and where his rematch for the Pure Title will take place and that there will be a special stipulation for the bout. Another rumor is that a new member or members are joining The Foundation.

* ROH Women’s World Champion Rok-C has wasted no time making good on her promise to be a fighting champion. She’s also making it clear that her potential challengers aren’t limited to the ROH roster and her title defenses don’t necessarily have to take place on ROH events.

Rok-C made her first successful title defense by defeating international star Killer Kelly in Houston on a New Texas Pro Wrestling show last weekend.

The 19-year-old “Prodigy’s” next title defense will be against Laynie Luck at a Warrior Wresting event in Chicago on Oct. 16.

* Speaking of Women’s Division Wednesday, “The Hot Mess” Chelsea Green will face the returning Ashley Vox on next week’s episode, which premieres at 7 p.m. Eastern on YouTube.

*Joe Hendry was my guest on the latest episode of The ROHStrong Podcast, which drops this Monday morning on ROHWrestling.com and most podcast platforms.

I’ll have another international star -- one we haven’t seen in ROH in some time -- as my guest on the following week’s podcast.

* PJ Black, who asked that I refer to him as Dr. Black, told me he has been working with Flip Gordon in an effort to study, treat and rehabilitate him.

As a result of being on the receiving end of a Jay Driller on a chair from Mark Briscoe at Glory By Honor last month, Gordon has been suffering from retrograde amnesia and thinks it’s 2018.

A video of one of Black’s sessions with Gordon will air on the next episode of ROH Week By Week, which premieres on Tuesday at 1 p.m. Eastern on YouTube.

* Also on the next ROH Week By Week, promising competitors Ativalu and Matt Makowski will face each other in their ROH debuts.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I like ROH going after potential prospects but it's still frustrating they are not signing any male talent it seems
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Makowski’s improved a fair bit the last couple of years, still needs to grow improve etc. He is someone I think can improve more with much better people around him. I think he’s a better prospect than Zayne.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:53 pm I like ROH going after potential prospects but it's still frustrating they are not signing any male talent it seems
Still plenty of free agents out there...

Big Men: Braun , Bronson Reed, Bray Wyatt

Hybrid: Buddy Murphy

Veterans: Chris Hero & Bobby Fish

Then again, they've brought in EC3 & Mike Bennett; and they really haven't been able to sink their teeth into anything just yet. I think it's more just the lack of shows. But if PCO and maybe Rush are leaving; you'd think they would free up some cap space. It really feels like ROH is in a "wait and see" mode. We know Baltimore does not have any restrictions; as WWE ran SD with a sold out arena. To be fair, the ROH roster, it fairly full, considering the TV time they have now.

It almost feels like something is up. No clue what it is; but maybe we get some major announcement in the next 6-12 months. Could be a merge / being sold. Could be ROH trying to get a live cable show (Less likely). OR ROH simply just doesn't care to run events / generate interest in the product for now... and just focusing on TV. Or maybe even close up shop. Time will tell i guess.
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Montana wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:29 pm It almost feels like something is up. No clue what it is; but maybe we get some major announcement in the next 6-12 months. Could be a merge / being sold. Could be ROH trying to get a live cable show (Less likely). OR ROH simply just doesn't care to run events / generate interest in the product for now... and just focusing on TV. Or maybe even close up shop. Time will tell i guess.
I think of it more as a rebuilding phase. I'm glad they're focusing on developing talent from within and could see guys like Woods, Isom, Draper, etc... becoming important talents. The question is whether they'll stick around when the offer from somewhere bigger comes.

Things do seem quiet. Not sure if that's unintentional or if there just isn't much to talk about. I generally enjoy the current product and root for ROH to succeed, but it's hard to get super-excited about the company when there's a giant signing or dream match seemingly every week on AEW. Might be good for ROH to lay relatively low and continue to produce a solid, enjoyable television product while they continue to build up a roster...
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Bandido looking like the new belt collector these days:
https://youtu.be/8zmkY3_Aea0?t=54
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

EvanKnight wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:51 pmWith Week-by-week and a women's show along with the weekly TV, they really need to be doing a better job keeping things involved. Unless I missed something, there has been nothing of Vincent showing up at the end of DBD. You can't have someone interject themselves in the top of the card main event, and then have 8 shows go by with no advancement...
This is major problem for me. We are close to month after DBD and I have no idea whats next for Bandido or in general whats the "main" storyline at the moment. Where are we going?

Sure, Vincent and Zyan have title shots but Flip had his for 18 months so its not like it really means anything.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

This is why they just have to do more than an hour, they’ve got a lot of story to tell and very little time to do it, especially with the roster as big (in a sense as it is).

The likes of Vincent, Dak, etc would do so well with that extra hour, all those minor matches that feel to low for just an hour TV would sit so well in a larger show.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Not much of a spoiler but roh is already building to final battle on this week show
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

The tv presentation looks so much better with these tapings.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

The TV out of the 2300 arena in Philadelphia does look nice. Smaller venue has a more intimate feel especially with the lighting rig & video screens. Plus the old school metal guard rails ... i still prefer the clean guard rails used in Baltimore. But this isn't about me..
The vibe from the TV show might also be from the energy (of the live crowd) left from the nights before & the urban location.

Thinking the lack of live audience may be more about logistics than the pandemic. ROH ran Baltimore, Philadelphia, and then (canceled Florida) back to Philadelphia. They would have burnt out the Balto & Philly markets with too much too soon...

It may best to close out the year focusing on the booking & media aspects of Ring Of Honor while plotting the return to live action.

Baltimore, Philadelphia, Nashville, Atlanta, Boston, New York, Las Vegas, Dallas, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, etc...

Return to live action with Final Battle, TV tapings in Philadelphia. Possibly book first event of 2022 in Nashville or Atlanta (or North Carolina). 🤔
20th anniversary in Viva Las Vegas. Supercard of Honor in Texas (with the help/collaboration of other promotions). Then reboot the War of The Worlds tour in the Northeast U.S. ... on route to Best In The World.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:57 pm The TV out of the 2300 arena in Philadelphia does look nice. Smaller venue has a more intimate feel especially with the lighting rig & video screens. Plus the old school metal guard rails ... i still prefer the clean guard rails used in Baltimore. But this isn't about me..
The vibe from the TV show might also be from the energy (of the live crowd) left from the nights before & the urban location.

Thinking the lack of live audience may be more about logistics than the pandemic. ROH ran Baltimore, Philadelphia, and then (canceled Florida) back to Philadelphia. They would have burnt out the Balto & Philly markets with too much too soon...

It may best to close out the year focusing on the booking & media aspects of Ring Of Honor while plotting the return to live action.

Baltimore, Philadelphia, Nashville, Atlanta, Boston, New York, Las Vegas, Dallas, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, etc...

Return to live action with Final Battle, TV tapings in Philadelphia. Possibly book first event of 2022 in Nashville or Atlanta (or North Carolina). 🤔
20th anniversary in Viva Las Vegas. Supercard of Honor in Texas (with the help/collaboration of other promotions). Then reboot the War of The Worlds tour in the Northeast U.S. ... on route to Best In The World.
The plan is no crowds for next 5 months. Crowds back for 20th Ann show in March. TV & FB taping Mid Nov. Another TV taping early Jan.
DougN

Post by DougN »

famicommander wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:08 pm
They literally had a god damn blindfold match. They destroyed the lineage of the IWGP Heavyweight title and they've been bouncing their top title around like a hot potato for years.

They're supposed to be the King of Sports. The gatekeepers of Strong Style. They're quickly becoming DDT.
I can't disagree with any of that sadly. The KOPW title is such a negative in the company too, but really, the whole fiasco with the IWGP belt is just indicative of what NJPW has been since COVID hit.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Shanahan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:33 pm
tigermask7.0 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:57 pm
The plan is no crowds for next 5 months. Crowds back for 20th Ann show in March. TV & FB taping Mid Nov. Another TV taping early Jan.
Where did you hear this? Last i heard Final Battle was undecided.

Wouldn't surprise me. I figured either Final Battle or the Anniversary show would be the returns. Still seems odd; whenever most all of forms of entertainment are trying to run live events; and regenerate some of the lost revenue. ROH is kinda like whatever. Major stars are announcing when their contracts are up... ROH...whatever. Something has to be in the works; unless they just doing a slow rebuild.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Gresham submitting to be in the heavyweight division and josh woods is part of the foundation now
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Yeah i just watched it. i loved it. The Foundation needs more people on board too.

Gresham vs Bandido would fuckin rule
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Awesome news.
DougN

Post by DougN »

That segment was really well done. Quinn's shocked face was a little much, but I love the respect between former and current champ well after the match.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.