Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Shanahan

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Shanahan »

If hes not champ at Final Battle we know he'll be gone.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

I have zero problems with Bandido being champion. However, Brody King has momentum outside of ROH & can bring attention to Ring Of Honor as champion. How much attention? Unknown.
But he and violence unlimited members work alot of new japan strong & independent shows, this may help with viewership & live attendance (when that happens).
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I would rather Bandido get a longer reign than force the belt into Brody by Final Battle. I also don't think Brody is leaving by the end of the year because he's good friends with Black. It's way too early to speculate on these things.
Montana

Post by Montana »

kovs27 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:47 am I would rather Bandido get a longer reign than force the belt into Brody by Final Battle. I also don't think Brody is leaving by the end of the year because he's good friends with Black. It's way too early to speculate on these things.
Agreed... i feel like Bandido and Brody King have a similar buzz across the wrestling landscape. Wouldn't want to cut bandido's reign short, to hopefully keep Brody. I do think the next in line for the championship` should be Brody and Gresham.

Hopefully ROH runs live events at some point in the future. Who knows if 2022 will look any better than it does today. Vaccine's and Boosters are already out there and numbers continue to trend up.
DougN

Post by DougN »

They need to do Greshman v Bandido before Final Battle, but Bandido vs Brody King feels like the rightful Final Battle main event. Him and Gresham are the only ones who feel truly main event special. Everyone else just feels like placeholders.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

DougN wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:46 am They need to do Greshman v Bandido before Final Battle, but Bandido vs Brody King feels like the rightful Final Battle main event. Him and Gresham are the only ones who feel truly main event special. Everyone else just feels like placeholders.
I actually feel like Gresham vs Bandido is the rightful Final Battle main event. Gresham has carried ROH in the pandemic era and has been one of the best in ring performers in all of wrestling.

I feel like there is more time to tell Brody's story and get him into that spot where the fans are begging for him to win the title. Just no more title matches until then. You don't want to run the risk of him being like Elgin where he lost so many title matches that by the time he won it didn't matter anymore.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Rok-C defending the ROH Women's Championship against Killer Kelly premieres tonight on IWTV's New Texas Pro "Olajuwon" show. (Taped Sep 25)
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Shane Taylor is better than Brody King. Sorry, but he is. He should have been the one to dethrone Rush; he should be the one to dethrone Bandido.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

No way taylor is better than brody, no fucking way 🤣🤣🤣
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I love both guys.
Montana

Post by Montana »

monster mafia wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:27 pm No way taylor is better than brody, no fucking way 🤣🤣🤣

To be fair; i think you could make the argument that Shane Taylor has better better matches and promos in ROH since 2019. Brody seems to have a bigger name around the wrestling world. They have a lot of similarities in the way they wrestle.

In a way; i think these two guys are in similar positions to Taven and Marty in 2019. Brody may or may not have one foot out the door; but more "buzz" similar to Marty; Or someone like Shane Taylor; like Taven, which you would hope would be more loyal to the brand.

Personally; i think with Marty and PCO leaving; it's only a matter of time for Brody to go.

Another name; that just has kind of faded out of the picture is Flip Gordon. He's another guy; that if he commits to ROH; i think would be in line for title run. That being said; he might have one foot out the door as well. He resigned in May 2020 i believe; with a multi-year deal; so it's too bad his potential push never really came through. I assume it's a 2 year deal; which puts him under contract until May 22.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

monster mafia wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:27 pm No way taylor is better than brody, no fucking way 🤣🤣🤣
He can talk circles around Brody, his facial expressions and body language are far superior, and in the ring Shane has a distinct style that he stays within. Brody is great but he doesn't really have a distinct style. Instead, he seems to switch between distinct styles without much of a transition between them. One minute he's a luchador, the next minute he's a brawler, the next minute he's a power guy and he doesn't seem to have the skillset to smoothly get from one to the other yet.

Shane is much more of a finished product. I think Brody right now is where Shane was two years ago.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

its a good debate, i respect you guys, in reality i think both are great, maybe i like brody more but stp is amazing.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Triller update: they did indeed move off the October 4 date for the Teofimo Lopez fight in favor of an October 16 date across town in Brooklyn.

However, they forgot to ask both fighters to agree first. They canceled the October 4 date, but now George Kambosos is asking for a six figure price increase to his purse in order to agree to a sxth(!) rescheduling of this fight that was supposed to have taken place by mid-March at the latest.

If Triller can't placate Kambosos they'll likely end up having to cede the fight to one of the other bidders; in this case it would either be Eddie Hearn of Matchroom who would stage the fight on DAZN or Bob Arum of Top Rank who would stage the fight on one of the ESPN channels.

That's assuming the governing body doesn't get sick of the gong show and just strip Lopez of the belt or strip Kambosos of his mandatory challenger status.

So, in short, total gong show.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Shane Taylor is fire on the mic, but he doesn't do it in the ring for me. He's compelling until the bell rings.

Brody King is compelling all around.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I think if Taylor had the same career path then he would obviously be viewed differently. There is a fan connection with Brody that (although Taylor has really developed this and displayed a brilliant aptitude to take himself forward on his own.) Taylor doesn’t have, Brody very obviously rose up the fan seats in California that grew to a wider community, his story is very gettable. Though I do think if you get PWG to book Shane vs Bandido and it will go down a treat Taylor would be seen in a new and brighter light.

Taylor is underrated as I think Brody can be overrated, I think overall there is a missing piece to both that are very easy fixes to take them on again. They just have to do it.

I just want both on the roster as they improve it considerably.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I just feel like they might miss their chance and put the belt on Taylor too late like they did with Taven and Castle.
Montana

Post by Montana »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:34 am Taylor is underrated as I think Brody can be overrated.

I think that's a fair way to look at it. Depending who the fan is; and what they watch. Shane is primarily focused on ROH; while Brody is doing PWG/NJPW, been in MLW; probably a few other bigger spots. I think Shane's done more in ROH the past 2-3 years; but also Shane was in a better position to do so as well.

Now i just want to see Brody King vs. Shane Taylor again ... They did have a TV match in late 2020; where Brody won to get the title shot at Final Battle. Plus the 4 way last week.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:17 am
BurningHammer wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:34 am Taylor is underrated as I think Brody can be overrated.

I think that's a fair way to look at it. Depending who the fan is; and what they watch. Shane is primarily focused on ROH; while Brody is doing PWG/NJPW, been in MLW; probably a few other bigger spots. I think Shane's done more in ROH the past 2-3 years; but also Shane was in a better position to do so as well.

Now i just want to see Brody King vs. Shane Taylor again ... They did have a TV match in late 2020; where Brody won to get the title shot at Final Battle. Plus the 4 way last week.

Yeah and that has hurt Taylor, with ROH how it is TV you need to get your name out there to the masses more. ROH needs to utilise Beyond, PWG, Defy, Shimmer, etc to develop their ‘brand’, they can’t raise the profile of their wrestlers really. That’s what made the Women’s tournament so good, it was everyone (nearly) it should have been.

I also don’t think you can take away how important PWG is. It has taken the mantle from ROH of making people and of you are a regular your gold for life nearly.

If I’m ROH, I would get Shane to win the TV title again and I mean totally clean in awesome match with Lee. Have him hold title for a good six months/year in that time have Brody win the title, Shane then goes for the main title, while holding the TV, we finally get to Shane vs Brody, make it good six month long feud, with VE and STP, in a multitude of different matches. Culminating in Shane wining and being a double champ. In that time Lee, Bandido, Flamita, Ely Isom and maybe one or two more have been building as challengers.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I take adora gets her contract tonight given how the description says Maria will have news on women division Wednesday