Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
indyfan

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by indyfan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:32 am
indyfan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:28 am The US averages more cases a day than india.
The pandemic is running wild in the US

Also ROH has been drawing fans to their shows. Look, i get you dont really like ROH but cmon atleast check shit out before you post
They have been “drawing” fans to their shows. Like 500 or 1,000? Better for them to hide behind closed doors than show off the empty seats.
What do you think they should be drawing? 500 is a good number for ROH. What? You think every wrestling company draws over 10k fans.

How long have you been wrestling again? You do know only 2 companies in North America draw more than 2000 fans regularly right
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

indyfan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:38 am
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:32 am
indyfan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:28 am The US averages more cases a day than india.
The pandemic is running wild in the US

Also ROH has been drawing fans to their shows. Look, i get you dont really like ROH but cmon atleast check shit out before you post
They have been “drawing” fans to their shows. Like 500 or 1,000? Better for them to hide behind closed doors than show off the empty seats.
What do you think they should be drawing? 500 is a good number for ROH. What? You think every wrestling company draws over 10k fans.

How long have you been wrestling again? You do know only 2 companies in North America draw more than 2000 fans regularly right
500 is a good number for a company that sold out MSG a few years ago? If drawing 500 is a good number, run the damn shows in bingo halls that seat 500 people. The UMBC arena holds way more than 500, don’t run a show there if you expect 500 people. 500 people isn’t good when one of your officials is claiming 300,000 to 500,000 weekly television viewers on a podcast.

I have never wrestled. I have been a fan for 35 years off and on. Again, which other companies are claiming 300,000 TV viewers? Surely not Impact, MLW, or NWA. You’re saying it’s okay to draw the same amount or less than these companies, despite doing at least triple the amount of TV viewers.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

All over social media for roh is how Matt taven got his title rematch in Mexico even though he lost to Vincent
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:23 am All over social media for roh is how Matt taven got his title rematch in Mexico even though he lost to Vincent
Yuup. ROH just posted about it in the Facebook group. Okay for talent to travel to foreign country where COVID is running wild, but not to have live shows in front of 500 people for “safety reasons”.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:23 am All over social media for roh is how Matt taven got his title rematch in Mexico even though he lost to Vincent
What happens in Mexico, stays in Mexico.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Literally seen nothing about Taven getting a shot at the title despite loosing it previously. All I saw with regards to that was how good the match was and that Banks reared his ugly head.

Im just hoping that Big Lucha and Wrestle Carnival become a strong branch for ROH, to have Bandido’s trainees and others be available to ROH to garner interest and build Luchadores from the ground up would be fantastic. There are two or three that really could be something and I hope Gravity (Bandido’s brother is one of them)
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I am genuinely concerned about the survival of Fite TV right about now. Not because of the service itself but because of their new owners, Triller.

Triller bid way too much for a simple mandatory title defense for Teofimo Lopez. There was a purse bid for his defense against George Kambosos, meaning any promoter can place a bid on the fight and whichever bids the highest gets to stage it with the purse being split at a 60/40 cut in favor of the champion. Triller bid between 2-4X what any of the major promoters (Bob Arum's Top Rank, Frank Warren's Queensberry, Eddie Hearn's Matchroom, Al Haymon's PBC, Kathy Duva's Main Event, Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy, etc) thought the fight was worth. So Triller put themselves on the hook for a huge sum of money and then decided to put the fight on PPV when it would be a basic cable fight at best for any of the others. The fight has been rescheduled an absurd 5 times and Triller is once again considering pushing back its current October 4 date.

Triller has also been accused of stiffing the fighters on some of their pay, most notably for their most successful event. Both Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Junior said Triller didn't pay up all the way.

Then they put a 58 year old Evander Holyfield out there in a boxing match over 10 years after his last fight, on short notice, without a training camp, against a 44 year old. Holyfield got blown away in less than a round, could barely keep his legs even before he started getting hit, and Triller defended the decision to put him out there and plan to allow him to do so again, saying he still has fights left on his contract even though the fight only did about 150K buys which wouldn't even come close to covering the purses of the undercard fighters, let alone the main event or any of the other massive costs involved with staging an event like that.

They also promoted the Holyfield vs Belfort, Ortiz vs Silva, and Haye vs Fournier fights as legitimate professional fights but they all turned out to be exhibitions that didn't count on any of their pro records.

These Triller people are sleazy even for boxing people, and boxing people are even sleazier than wrestling carnies. Red flags all over the place.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:06 am I am genuinely concerned about the survival of Fite TV right about now. Not because of the service itself but because of their new owners, Triller.

Triller bid way too much for a simple mandatory title defense for Teofimo Lopez. There was a purse bid for his defense against George Kambosos, meaning any promoter can place a bid on the fight and whichever bids the highest gets to stage it with the purse being split at a 60/40 cut in favor of the champion. Triller bid between 2-4X what any of the major promoters (Bob Arum's Top Rank, Frank Warren's Queensberry, Eddie Hearn's Matchroom, Al Haymon's PBC, Kathy Duva's Main Event, Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy, etc) thought the fight was worth. So Triller put themselves on the hook for a huge sum of money and then decided to put the fight on PPV when it would be a basic cable fight at best for any of the others. The fight has been rescheduled an absurd 5 times and Triller is once again considering pushing back its current October 4 date.

Triller has also been accused of stiffing the fighters on some of their pay, most notably for their most successful event. Both Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Junior said Triller didn't pay up all the way.

Then they put a 58 year old Evander Holyfield out there in a boxing match over 10 years after his last fight, on short notice, without a training camp, against a 44 year old. Holyfield got blown away in less than a round, could barely keep his legs even before he started getting hit, and Triller defended the decision to put him out there and plan to allow him to do so again, saying he still has fights left on his contract even though the fight only did about 150K buys which wouldn't even come close to covering the purses of the undercard fighters, let alone the main event or any of the other massive costs involved with staging an event like that.

They also promoted the Holyfield vs Belfort, Ortiz vs Silva, and Haye vs Fournier fights as legitimate professional fights but they all turned out to be exhibitions that didn't count on any of their pro records.

These Triller people are sleazy even for boxing people, and boxing people are even sleazier than wrestling carnies. Red flags all over the place.
Those are legitimate concerns for FITE. Wouldn’t effect ROH too much though. A medium to view the program would go away, but without stats on how many view it on there, impact would be undetermined.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:10 pm
famicommander wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:06 am I am genuinely concerned about the survival of Fite TV right about now. Not because of the service itself but because of their new owners, Triller.

Those are legitimate concerns for FITE. Wouldn’t effect ROH too much though. A medium to view the program would go away, but without stats on how many view it on there, impact would be undetermined.
I'm not saying it would be a crippling blow for ROH to lose Fite. But Fite going down could only be a bad thing, for ROH in specific and for the pro wrestling and combat sports industries in general.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Nwa and GCW would be hurt the most. I better watch some of stuff I bought on there that I forgot about before they disappear
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Shanahan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:08 pm Nwa and GCW would be hurt the most. I better watch some of stuff I bought on there that I forgot about before they disappear
To be clear, there is no news of their imminent demise. I'm just pointing out the warning signs as I see them. The boxing business eats a lot of people up and these dudes are clearly in over their heads on that front.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Roh guy showed up for rampage main event.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Shanahan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:58 pm Roh guy showed up for rampage main event.
Wonder if he will sign with aew
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Felt like more of a one-off to help Eddie. He got a good pop tho
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:09 pm
Shanahan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:58 pm Roh guy showed up for rampage main event.
Wonder if he will sign with aew
No
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Looking at the women’s division if Willow is on board with a couple of others it’s really a well put together division. Could do with a couple of real stars Deonna but apart from that I see real thought has been put into it.

If the same can be done for ROH’ male roster they could really rebuild strongly again.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

I know this is rather not ROH related but I was searching at forum and honestly I have no idea where to put it.
Former ROH wrestler and Joint Head Booker Marty Scurll has been announced for an independent wrestling event.

Puerto Rico's CWA have announced Scurll will return to the promotion on Saturday, October 23 at their 'Halloween Fan Fest' show in San Juan.

Scurll posted about his booking on Instagram and Matt Cardona, Tessa Blanchard, Pro Wrestling Tees and Nerds Clothing have all commented on the post.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

DougN

Post by DougN »

I really don't want Brody to leave Ring Of Honor. I think him as ROH champ would be super, SUPER interesting.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

DougN wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:12 pm I really don't want Brody to leave Ring Of Honor. I think him as ROH champ would be super, SUPER interesting.
x2