Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Montana »

This is kinda where ROH was at a fork in the road with their TV and Honorclub content, and decided to drive straight.

They could easily do 90/120 minutes. If you look count week by week, they are basically at 90 now. They barely showcase a majority of the roster. Just started doing women’s matches, AND you still have the UK/AU talent. Who knows if we’ll ever see again.

ROh needs to figure out, if they want to focus on TV or Honorclub. The Honorclub route will ALWAYS limit your audience behind the paywall. With where ROH is at, I’m not sure that’s the best strategy, with so much other free content out there. They probably need a live tv deal, on a cable channel, with a good revenue split. They can put all their supplemental content on the regional Sinclair networks.

Like if this was AEW, just put dark or elevation on the local channels.

I personally don’t see a change coming soon, but who knows. I think first ROH needs to get past the pandemic, cause it’s not getting any better in the next 6 months. Wearing mask could be the new norm. Not saying they need to tour, but at least figure out how to produce more content, to make more money, to get some buzz.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

DougN wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:24 am I don't think ROH has the roster to support two hours weekly to be honest. Some people like EC3 would get beyond stale after two weeks straight. 90 minutes would be a perfect time.
Considering that Lethal, Williams and others weren’t on DBD and they were able to do around three to four. With the three man tag belts, pure title TV title, Women’s world title, and the world title, they may need to add two or three more genuine names around the roster, but the likes of Dak, Keys etc would become far more meaningful with the time at their disposal.
DougN

Post by DougN »

To be fair, with the women's division, yeah, they probably could do 2 hours now. Completely forgot about that, but also, who is even signed in that division?
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

DougN wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:24 am To be fair, with the women's division, yeah, they probably could do 2 hours now. Completely forgot about that, but also, who is even signed in that division?
so far

rock c
miranda alize
max the impaler
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

monster mafia wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:59 am
DougN wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:24 am To be fair, with the women's division, yeah, they probably could do 2 hours now. Completely forgot about that, but also, who is even signed in that division?
so far

rock c
miranda alize
max the impaler
I believe Sumie, Kellyanne, Session Moth Martina, Vicky Haskins, and Quinn McKay are under contract as well.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Always forget about Sumie for some reason. How many are available to be booked right now?
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

DougN wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:01 pm Always forget about Sumie for some reason. How many are available to be booked right now?
As far as we know the UK, Irish, and Aussie contingent of the roster is still stuck overseas because of the quarantine period that would be involved in returning home.

That includes Doug Williams, Mark and Vicky Haskins, Kellyanne, Session Moth Martina, Joe Hendry, Slex, and Adam Brooks unless I'm forgetting someone else.

Nobody is sure if Maria Manic is still signed and simply stuck in Canada or if her deal is up.

I don't know who exactly is signed for what terms, but this seems to be the currently available roster:
Sumie Sakai
Angelina Love
Quinn McKay
Rok-C
Miranda Alize
Trish Adora
Mandy Leon
Vita VonStarr
Amy Rose (has only managed in ROH but has wrestled elsewhere)
Max the Impaler

Not sure which, if any, other names from the tournament are sticking around or for how long but they recently booked the likes of Allysin Kay, Nicole Savoy, Marti Belle, Willow, Mazzerati, Hollidead, etc. Chelsea Green has been around, Brandi Lauren was mentioned as an alternate for the tournament, as was Laynie Luck.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

It's pj black vs brian johnson in single match and in a fatal four way shane taylor vs kenny king vs jay lethal vs brody king next week
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:01 pm It's pj black vs brian johnson in single match and in a fatal four way shane taylor vs kenny king vs jay lethal vs brody king next week
Seems like it'll be a good show. I enjoyed the pure show tonight.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

I hope that Brian wins and PJ is sent packing. He is a good hand, but he literally adds nothing to the show.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Lynx wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:15 pm I hope that Brian wins and PJ is sent packing. He is a good hand, but he literally adds nothing to the show.
I've always thought black would be better as a heel with his hippie medicine gimmick. He tries to hypnotize a guy to help him get his chi back but then just kicks him in the balls.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

PJ is fine as a veteran tag guy. After Johnson pins him let him reboot the cycle and take a guy like Caballero, Keys, or Martin under his wing for a bit.

Besides, he's only 40. He's still got like 10 more years before he's old enough to be an AEW prospect.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Lynx wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:15 pm I hope that Brian wins and PJ is sent packing. He is a good hand, but he literally adds nothing to the show.
I thought he had a really good dynamic going with Johnson when they were first put together where he was the veteran who saw the potential in Johnson and was trying to teach him to be less abrasive. I think there is a good story to be told in having the babyface with the friend who isn't quite a morally bad person, but is absolutely an asshole and the babyface has to clean up the messes the friend causes and eventually either the babyface gets hurt because of it and the friend changes, or the babyface gets sick of the heel's sh*t and says he/she won't help them out of things anymore and the friend then blames and attacks the babyface to start a feud. I always envisioned that as a good way to break Sonya Deville away from Mandy Rose, but you could do the same sort of thing replacing the friend relationship with a mentor/student one with Johnson and PJ (and I would have Johnson stay heel and just turn on PJ rather than trying to turn Johnson babyface). It would be a good first feud for him to make him heel like a real part of the roster, like how the Delirious feud marked Rhett's transition from student to roster-member.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Not new news, but I heard recently that ROH plans for a taping in Nov with no fans, no live events the rest of the year, and Final Battle plans are up in the air, at the moment.

Credit for ROH thinking safety first, but think it will come at the expense of a few wrestlers that may prefer to work elsewhere, where they run shows with Fans.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:27 am
I thought he had a really good dynamic going with Johnson when they were first put together where he was the veteran who saw the potential in Johnson and was trying to teach him to be less abrasive. I think there is a good story to be told in having the babyface with the friend who isn't quite a morally bad person, but is absolutely an asshole and the babyface has to clean up the messes the friend causes and eventually either the babyface gets hurt because of it and the friend changes, or the babyface gets sick of the heel's sh*t and says he/she won't help them out of things anymore and the friend then blames and attacks the babyface to start a feud. I always envisioned that as a good way to break Sonya Deville away from Mandy Rose, but you could do the same sort of thing replacing the friend relationship with a mentor/student one with Johnson and PJ (and I would have Johnson stay heel and just turn on PJ rather than trying to turn Johnson babyface). It would be a good first feud for him to make him heel like a real part of the roster, like how the Delirious feud marked Rhett's transition from student to roster-member.
I agree that it worked, but due to Covid they had to stop it and Johnson managed to elevate himself on his own. So I'm not sure if going back to that team dynamics would really be good or would it just regress him.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Montana wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:50 am Not new news, but I heard recently that ROH plans for a taping in Nov with no fans, no live events the rest of the year, and Final Battle plans are up in the air, at the moment.

Credit for ROH thinking safety first, but think it will come at the expense of a few wrestlers that may prefer to work elsewhere, where they run shows with Fans.
Safety? LMAO. 75,000 - 100,000 people are packing football stadiums every weekend, but ROH is scared to have 1,000 in an arena. It has nothing to do with safety.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:12 am
Montana wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:50 am Not new news, but I heard recently that ROH plans for a taping in Nov with no fans, no live events the rest of the year, and Final Battle plans are up in the air, at the moment.

Safety? LMAO. 75,000 - 100,000 people are packing football stadiums every weekend, but ROH is scared to have 1,000 in an arena. It has nothing to do with safety.
What does it have to do with it?

Stop acting like theres no more pandemic.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

indyfan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:03 am
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:12 am

What does it have to do with it?

Stop acting like theres no more pandemic.
ROH knows they can’t draw crowds, so better to hide behind closed doors and fly the safety flag, than to be seen as “less than” everyone else. Every other promotion is running with fans.

Yes, COVID-19 is still going on, but we’ve had 3 weekends of college football. Where are the all the new cases in cities and schools where 100,000 fans are congregating? AEW and WWE can fill arenas, where’s all the new cases of fans catching COVID there?

It’s not about “safety”. Anyone with a brain and doesn’t have a ROH tattoo on their lower back can figure that out.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

The US averages more cases a day than india.
The pandemic is running wild in the US

Also ROH has been drawing fans to their shows. Look, i get you dont really like ROH but cmon atleast check shit out before you post
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

indyfan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:28 am The US averages more cases a day than india.
The pandemic is running wild in the US

Also ROH has been drawing fans to their shows. Look, i get you dont really like ROH but cmon atleast check shit out before you post
They have been “drawing” fans to their shows. Like 500 or 1,000? Better for them to hide behind closed doors than show off the empty seats.