Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
tigermask7.0

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by tigermask7.0 »

What's next? 🤔
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Ring of Honor is currently taping TV in Philadelphia before a closed set.

For those who have asked about Jake Atlas, we are told he was OK at the hotel last night after the show but was absolutely banged up after his match with Taylor Rust.

ROH Ambassador Cary Silkin was not at last night's PPV following the death of a long-time friend.

No word yet on what is slated for this weekend's edition of ROH TV.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Condolences to Cary but I'm glad he's okay personally. Shame he wasn't able to present the new champions with their belts
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:09 am Condolences to Cary but I'm glad he's okay personally. Shame he wasn't able to present the new champions with their belts
Agreed. It was weird not seeing him. It just didn't feel right.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

It's a special 'Pure Wrestling' episode! Six men take part in a grueling, 'Pure Rules' Gauntlet!
And in the main event! The OGK's Mike Bennett goes head-to-head with 'The Foundation's' Rhett Titus!
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Man im really not optimistic about the outcome of DBD. it was real mediocre show.

I cant believe the overbooking of the pure title match. it ruined the match. i dont know what they were thinking.

Taking Shane out of the trios match was annoying too.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

indyfan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:08 am Man im really not optimistic about the outcome of DBD. it was real mediocre show.

I cant believe the overbooking of the pure title match. it ruined the match. i dont know what they were thinking.

Negative!
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Felt the main selling point of the PPV was the women’s title match and that delivered in every way. There were pluses and minuses throughout the show, maybe there wasn’t anything to go out if your way to see but enough to enjoy. I’m not feeling like there is anything to worry about compared to other months and years. Nearly every champion has quality and range with history in many forms, plus the steps have been taken for everyone to move forward apart from the Foundation really.

I personally liked that O’Shea got some time out there, he’s a progressing talent that I’m happy to get behind. My only problems with the PPV were there were too many multiman matches and there weren’t really any surprises that could have really left everyone with something to talk about.

I do wonder if there will be some surprises during the tapings as they did say it was one of the main reasons for not having fans during these closed sets.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Speaking on Sean Waltman's Pro Wrestling 4 Life, PCO discussed the momentum lost by ROH due to the pandemic and losing a potential TV deal.

"It was really tough for Ring of Honor. We were one of the more secure companies as far as testing and (in the bubble). Not having fans and working in an empty arena of 5,000 seats with no one there has been super tough. We lost tons of steam and I think at one point we were supposed to go live against, not against, but with all the AEW events. We were supposed to be on Thursday or Friday nights. They had a deal going on with TV stations and when the pandemic hit, I feel like we were going for the (Stanley) Cup and now we're starting back. It's a tough go for the company, but it's part of life. It doesn't always go the way you think," he said.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Final Battle should be the return to action in front of a live audience. Preferably the 3rd weekend in December. Then experiment filming television episodes with a live studio audience.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:37 pm Final Battle should be the return to action in front of a live audience. Preferably the 3rd weekend in December. Then experiment filming television episodes with a live studio audience.
Sounds like roh wants to do live tv with Sinclair local stations like Sinclair using the local stations to produce their own news for the morning
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Been thinking ROH needs to rebuild with a territory mentality. The difference is that the territory isn't physical distance, but broadcast television distance. If they create a compelling hour of television, they may be able to syndicate the show to areas in the country that Sinclair doesn't have access/own stations. ROH may be leveraged to give Sinclair an entry point to television content creation in the syndicated TV market. Possible endgame may be selling Ring Of Honor programming to ESPN.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

A live two hour show is what’s needed right now, it would help immensely with everything. There’s enough in the roster to deliver each week.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Wondering if Sinclair has the studio in Baltimore to host a weekly show? Or in Philadelphia? Where would you host a show that can draw a regular audience? What is the audience size? On what night of the week? Lots of ???
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:52 pm A live two hour show is what’s needed right now, it would help immensely with everything. There’s enough in the roster to deliver each week.
Well we at least kinda know roh game plan when it comes to tv basically use most of Sinclair channels like their doing now but have roh come on at the same time on all the networks
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Do they build off the Monday 7pm EST watch along? Thinking that's the only time there is a show being broadcast for everyone. How do you leverage that? Does this all lead back to the Honor Club app & ROH being a niche on its own system ... Watching live ROH behind a pay wall? This won't exactly help with growing the viewer audience.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

indyfan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:08 am Man im really not optimistic about the outcome of DBD. it was real mediocre show.

Especially at this point in time, when the spent promo time talking about the importance of the division in was a disappointment of a match.

Probably worse though was the pure rankings that they put out during DBD. That was not a highlight of the best of ROH.

I thought with Rush being out, taking out Shane was actually good for the match, furthered the Kenny storyline that we’ve apparently stumbled back into, and helped build up other talent, so I’d take it normally, just not as well during that PPV.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:52 pm A live two hour show is what’s needed right now, it would help immensely with everything. There’s enough in the roster to deliver each week.
I’d agree with that. DBD needed some hype work. Between the bells most matches are solid, they are just coming across flat due to PR a lot of the time.

A couple minutes of even self shot talking from Rust and Atlas would have done wonders. Shane and Kenny really needed some more recent hostility to build up the take out. He’ll even something showing LSG picking his team would have gone a long way to giving needed context.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I don't think ROH has the roster to support two hours weekly to be honest. Some people like EC3 would get beyond stale after two weeks straight. 90 minutes would be a perfect time.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

DougN wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:24 am I don't think ROH has the roster to support two hours weekly to be honest. Some people like EC3 would get beyond stale after two weeks straight. 90 minutes would be a perfect time.
For sure they do. STP went a long time without being on TV and they’re the 6 man champs. How many times has Dragon Lee defended the “tv title” on TV since being champ?