Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Montana »

Not sure what type of deal they have but Lee Moriarty and Nicole savoy are with MLW now.

Also… it would be awesome if Chris Hero is in that Trio.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think Walters, Williams, and Hero are all pretty decent possibilities. If it's not one of the three I'll be pretty shocked.

Walters would be the least exciting since we've seen him most recently but he did put in some good performances so I wouldn't be upset to see him back. Hero or Williams would be a bigger deal, though.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I wouldn't rule out Alex Shelley. He is starting to do shows again and doesn't have to quarantine in the bubble this time.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

DougN wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:25 pm
famicommander wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:41 am Samoa Joe on the "forbidden door" nonsense:
"I understand some fans want for that and they want to see that, but at the same time, just with the whole politics of that type of situation, it wouldn’t be a good outcome anyways. Nobody wants to look bad in that situation, everyone’s getting pushed and pulled in a certain way and it becomes a convoluted mess."
His other quotes were worse. Toeing-the-line is so bad in WWE that he forgets it was Joe-Kobashi that cemented Samoa Joe as a top-to-bottom superstar.
Or maybe he's been paying attention to how AEW has made TNA look, or how the ROH-NJPW relationship ceased to mean anything once it became clear that New Japan would never let their top guys do a job, so we would up with a bunch of meaningless tag matches booked around who wouldn't have to lose rather than being able to productively elevate anyone.

And it was a lot harder to see Kobashi in the US back in 2005 than it is to see Tanahashi and friends in US in 2021, so any compromises you would be willing to make in the name of novelty aren't really much of an option anymore.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Don’t know if it’s been said yet, but Bandido’s promotion is having an event putting ROH guys against talent he uses. Hopefully it’s a chance for ROH to have a look at Bandido’s crop of trainees as one or two may have some futures and getting in early wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Delirious vs Skayda is one which if you like the Toryumon, Chikara as a style of wrestling.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:42 pm
Or maybe he's been paying attention to how AEW has made TNA look, or how the ROH-NJPW relationship ceased to mean anything once it became clear that New Japan would never let their top guys do a job, so we would up with a bunch of meaningless tag matches booked around who wouldn't have to lose rather than being able to productively elevate anyone.

And it was a lot harder to see Kobashi in the US back in 2005 than it is to see Tanahashi and friends in US in 2021, so any compromises you would be willing to make in the name of novelty aren't really much of an option anymore.
You make a good point especially on 2005 vs 2021, but Joe was also in NXT when they brought in Jushin Liger so I don't really know the point of degrading a forbidden door concept when WWE did it.

To be honest though, I don't think AEW has made TNA look better or worse. It's just been status quo. Omega as champ got more eyes on their product. Unfortunately, that product ran off the big audience Omega brought in. It's not like AEW has done anything FOR Impact though. They popped two ratngs, one buyrate, and that was it. Nothing in Impact hooked the people coming in.

Now, the NJPW-ROH relationship was definitely bad. It wasn't just that NJPW refused to let their guys lose -- it's that ROH relied too heavily on NJPW for their big/important shows and it made everything in between feel weak or skippable.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

It's not just that AEW has failed to bring people into Impact, it's that it has actively driven people away. They're down big year over year in both TV ratings and Youtube viewership.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Impact is just Impact. They've got some talent there for sure, but the product has no real identity and just looks low-rent. Everything people used to criticize ROH for in the early 2010s, Impact does week in and week out.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

When the aew champion becomes the impact champion that diminishes the impact talent roster. When the Never Openweight Champ shows up & his promo skills make that same aew/impact champion look like an indie wrestler. That makes the impact roster look bad.

So when's Switchblade Jay White coming back to ROH?
Him showing up & giving someone a shot at the Never title is a nice PPV moment.
Last edited by tigermask7.0 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:55 am When the aew champion becomes the impact champion that diminishes the impact talent roster. When the Never Openweight Champ shows up & his promo skills make that same aew/impact champion look like an indie wrestler. That makes the impact roster look bad.

So when's Switchblade Jay White coming back to ROH?
Him showing up & giving someone a shot at the Never title is a nice PPV moment.
*Starts breathing with the Switchblade.*
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
DougN

Post by DougN »

Honestly? I'm enjoying ROH just existing by itself without any forbidden door BS. I just wish it wouldn't feel like Brody King or Dragon Lee have one foot at the door.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:17 pm
monster mafia wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:59 pm ECK'S FILES

*Violence Unlimited’s open challenge to face any Pure wrestlers past, present or future in a six-man tag match at the Death Before Dishonor pay-per-view on Sept. 12 in Philadelphia’s 2300 Arena has been answered.

Three Pure wrestlers -- one from the past, one from the present and one who is considered part of the future -- wasted no time in stepping up to face Tony Deppen and ROH World Tag Team Champions Chris Dickinson and Homicide.

The identity of the Pure wrestlers will be revealed on the next episode of ROH Week By Week, which premieres Tuesday at 1 p.m. Eastern on YouTube.
I thought it was gonna be something good but now i think it will be Walters,LSG,Yehi...
I almost nailed it but happy i was wrong. Not because I dont like Yehi, I do, but because Lee is awesome. My ideal team would of been Williams/Haskins/Moriarty but I'm starting to think UK/Aussie guys are never coming back. If they are, Wtf is taking so long.
DougN

Post by DougN »

They don't want to deal with the mandatory quarantine coming back. You can come in fine but when you go home, it's two weeks sitting in your house or hotel room.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

DougN wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:06 am They don't want to deal with the mandatory quarantine coming back. You can come in fine but when you go home, it's two weeks sitting in your house or hotel room.
I thought if you were vaccinated and had proof of negative test it was only a few days. Even if it is 2 weeks....suck it up. Your getting paid to sit home for over a year now.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Are they though? I have no idea what ROH contracts are for the international talent.

And I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I know that's how it was for Japan coming and going to America and England which is why so many foreigners complained.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Rush is said to be in serious condition after emergency surgery. Specifics are sparse. Hopefully he's okay.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

famicommander wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:42 pm Rush is said to be in serious condition after emergency surgery. Specifics are sparse. Hopefully he's okay.
They are really playing this up. It was planned knee surgery. I bet they will announce planned matches for 2022 after his ROH deal expires. That tag match last week was his last ROH match. Hes got a giant ego for a dude who's not that great. His little brother is the star of the family.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/14 ... 6934353926

I don't know, I like Dragon Lee and Rush, but if thats how things are maybe they should be sent packing once their contracts end?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Im confused....are people thinking hes faking?