Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
indyfan

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by indyfan »

i dont get how MLW sold out 2300 arena but ROH hasnt. Apparently MLW has already sold out the more expensive seats for their show in October at the same arena...
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

indyfan wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:56 am i dont get how MLW sold out 2300 arena but ROH hasnt. Apparently MLW has already sold out the more expensive seats for their show in October at the same arena...
MLW has worked very hard to cultivate that market and ROH worked hard to torpedo it. They were starting to eat ROH's lunch in Chicago much the same way pre-pandemic.

The GBH shows are on pace to get anywhere from 600-900 each when you consider the current seat maps, 10 more days of sales, walk ups, and comps. That's a hell of a lot better than the announced 350 total the last time they hit the venue.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

indyfan wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:56 am i dont get how MLW sold out 2300 arena but ROH hasnt. Apparently MLW has already sold out the more expensive seats for their show in October at the same arena...
That tells you how bad ROH is. They don’t even have an affiliate showing ROH TV in Philadelphia. Apparently 300,000 - 500,000 watch ROH every week, but not in Philly.
Montana

Post by Montana »

famicommander wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:03 am
MLW has worked very hard to cultivate that market and ROH worked hard to torpedo it. They were starting to eat ROH's lunch in Chicago much the same way pre-pandemic.

The GBH shows are on pace to get anywhere from 600-900 each when you consider the current seat maps, 10 more days of sales, walk ups, and comps. That's a hell of a lot better than the announced 350 total the last time they hit the venue.
Well...let's see... in 2019 ROH was charging like 35-100$ per ticket ; where as MLW was charging like 10-15$ for most tickets . ROH fell away behind, because they fell asleep at the wheel. Thought fans would continue to support them , and did very little to hype/promote the shows. MLW was a fraction of the cost; and ROH's product didn't connect with the fans. ROH was barely using youtube in 2019.

Also; ROH runs more shows; compared to MLW. Thus ; If MLW runs philly 4x a year; they can get invested in storylines; and continue to support. ROH is trying to run 3 shows in philly, within 3 weeks.

ROH needs to establish their core 6-8 markets. Baltimore was never a ROH thing; and they turned it over slowly. You got plenty of other towns ... Boston, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, starting building some of these markets back up in my opinion... but who knows if the next wave of COVID is on it's way. Not sure why they choose lakeland after all this time as well. Between AEW & NXT; i don't think they are craving more wrestling. Even try more west coast markets.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Montana wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:52 pm
famicommander wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:03 am

Well...let's see... in 2019 ROH was charging like 35-100$ per ticket ; where as MLW was charging like 10-15$ for most tickets . ROH fell away behind, because they fell asleep at the wheel. Thought fans would continue to support them , and did very little to hype/promote the shows. MLW was a fraction of the cost; and ROH's product didn't connect with the fans. ROH was barely using youtube in 2019.

Also; ROH runs more shows; compared to MLW. Thus ; If MLW runs philly 4x a year; they can get invested in storylines; and continue to support. ROH is trying to run 3 shows in philly, within 3 weeks.

ROH needs to establish their core 6-8 markets. Baltimore was never a ROH thing; and they turned it over slowly. You got plenty of other towns ... Boston, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, starting building some of these markets back up in my opinion... but who knows if the next wave of COVID is on it's way. Not sure why they choose lakeland after all this time as well. Between AEW & NXT; i don't think they are craving more wrestling. Even try more west coast markets.
ROH was going to do Lakeland Wrestlemania weekend that got canceled. I guess in a way they owe Lakeland a big show.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think maybe they picked Florida because they guessed there was a low chance of the government imposing any regulations on them there, but then things got worse than they thought so they bailed.

I also think maybe they anticipated this cancellation a couple weeks back and that's why they didn't announce much for DBD.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:46 pm I think maybe they picked Florida because they guessed there was a low chance of the government imposing any regulations on them there, but then things got worse than they thought so they bailed.

I also think maybe they anticipated this cancellation a couple weeks back and that's why they didn't announce much for DBD.
Yeah, no reason to build any matches or excitement for it. Just throw it together at the last minute. That’s the way to do it.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

KL_ wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:40 am On "week by week" they announced that Josh Woods will challenge for the ROH Pure Championship at Death Before Dishonor against the winner of Jonathan Gresham vs Rhett Titus.
So Woods vs. Gresham, then. Sounds good to me.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:32 am
Montana wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:32 am
famicommander wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:46 pm

It just doesn't get lower than PCO as world champion.

I think the biggest failures of the years before that were relying too much on Bullet Club and being too late to pull the trigger on guys. I think Dalton Castle and Matt Taven both had their world title runs about nine months too late. Both guys were white hot about that timeframe prior to their runs, but by the time they got the belts it was a bit underwhelming. Imagine a babyface Taven winning his belt in Lowell in front of 2000+ Taven fans instead of winning it in front of 16,000+ Elite fans that wanted Marty.
Hmmm, i don't recall Taven being "hot" around the time of "all In" or late 2018. From my perspective his 1 hour match at the 17th anniversary show (i believe) was the match, where he went from potential contender; to maybe he's the guy we run with the belt for a bit.

Also, Taven was always more hated than anything else. He's a heel, who actually plays a heel role to get boo's; unlike some other wrestlers. I appreciate that. Not sure how Boston would react, i assume mixed. Don't think Boston is pulling in 2K fans either. Guess we'll never know, but i thought Taven title run was pretty good. Not sure i need to see him win it back in some redemption story. I think he's in a good spot to be a upper card guy for another year or two; and start putting new folks over.
1900 was the house they drew in Lowell for the one show they ran there in 2018. My timeline was a bit off but if you go back and watch the show Taven was insanely over.
I think it was isolated to that one tour.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I’m hearing that some talented wrestlers who were recently released from another organization could be appearing at Death Before Dishonor. From roh website
Montana

Post by Montana »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:05 am I’m hearing that some talented wrestlers who were recently released from another organization could be appearing at Death Before Dishonor. From roh website
So most likely some combination of: Bobby Fish, Jake Atlas, Alex Zayne, Mercdes Martinez, Tyler Rust

Maybe; Curt Stallation, Leon Ruff, Anthony Greene,

Wouldn't expect any others; but who knows.
Big Red Machine

Montana wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:23 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:05 am I’m hearing that some talented wrestlers who were recently released from another organization could be appearing at Death Before Dishonor. From roh website
So most likely some combination of: Bobby Fish, Jake Atlas, Alex Zayne, Mercdes Martinez, Tyler Rust

Maybe; Curt Stallation, Leon Ruff, Anthony Greene,

Wouldn't expect any others; but who knows.
I'd be happy with any of those names.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Jonah Rock, Atlas, Rust, Stallion, Green, Anthony Henry, Kalisto and Nese you add that to this current and you have a real male roster.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

this quote is on ecks files by the way...

very interesting.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Well Rust Taylor, Mercedes Martinez, Bobby Fish, and Curt Stallion have already been in ROH before. None of them would be shocking.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

So who’s ordering the Amy Rose and Amy Rose & Max the Impaler tshirts? Lol
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:17 pm So who’s ordering the Amy Rose and Amy Rose & Max the Impaler tshirts? Lol
me
Montana

Post by Montana »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:17 pm So who’s ordering the Amy Rose and Amy Rose & Max the Impaler tshirts? Lol
Had to look to see if this was an actual thing... .Yes, it's real. ROH has actually been putting out some decent t-shirt designs lately for the most part. I'm not really a wrestling shirt kinda of guy, but if i was, there's a few i'd be interested in.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Roh tweeted out if the forbidden was open which company would you like to see work with roh
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

None.