Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Shanahan

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Shanahan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:19 pm
famicommander wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:25 pm
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:04 pm

You can wear a mask or bring your vax card if you want to enter. Take temperatures. No reason to cancel events for a few wussies.
The reason you cancel the event is because you don't want to make a hundred or more of your employees fly/drive to that hotspot. This isn't complicated at all.
And current ROH employees are banned from traveling to Florida right now?
I just think it's a major pain in the ass that they wanna avoid. I'm not mad or shocked by this as long as it's not back in baltimore with those dumb "pods".
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I'm only up to the main event of the 7/23 TV, and I am baffled that this show is being booked by the same person who booked ROH in the 2nd half of 2010 and 2011. I am exactly the kind of fan that all of this stuff with the Pure division and structure and attempted "real-sports" atmosphere is trying to cater to, and at this point I have no faith that Delirious can do anything right when the Briscoes aren't involved, and it will take at least a year of sustained good direction for me to even start to be able to regain faith.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:18 pm I'm only up to the main event of the 7/23 TV, and I am baffled that this show is being booked by the same person who booked ROH in the 2nd half of 2010 and 2011. I am exactly the kind of fan that all of this stuff with the Pure division and structure and attempted "real-sports" atmosphere is trying to cater to, and at this point I have no faith that Delirious can do anything right when the Briscoes aren't involved, and it will take at least a year of sustained good direction for me to even start to be able to regain faith.
In one month it will be a full year of awesome TV and PPV's. Is everything perfect? No, perfection doesn't exist in wrestling but ROH has put out the most consistent product.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

ROH is still very, very far from perfect but in my view they're the only reasonably competent promotion putting out English language content every week. And the product is the best it has been in the television era of the company in my book. Orders of magnitude better than 2019.

I truly believe we're at a low point in terms of quality major wrestling. Impact, AEW, WWE, NJPW, and MLW are all really, really bad right now. Give me the mid 2000s with ROH and TNA tearing it up any day of the week. I'd rather have two great companies than one good one and five bad ones.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:37 pm ROH is still very, very far from perfect but in my view they're the only reasonably competent promotion putting out English language content every week. And the product is the best it has been in the television era of the company in my book. Orders of magnitude better than 2019.
I would have said that a few weeks ago, but I am struck by how little movement there seems to be in any of the stories. Sure, belts are changing hands, but it feels more like things are going in circles than actually going somewhere.

And I appear to be alone in this sentiment, but I actually liked a few chunks of 2019 (the summer in particular). I didn't think it was nearly as bad as 2017 or 2018.
Big Red Machine

Shanahan wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:33 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:18 pm I'm only up to the main event of the 7/23 TV, and I am baffled that this show is being booked by the same person who booked ROH in the 2nd half of 2010 and 2011. I am exactly the kind of fan that all of this stuff with the Pure division and structure and attempted "real-sports" atmosphere is trying to cater to, and at this point I have no faith that Delirious can do anything right when the Briscoes aren't involved, and it will take at least a year of sustained good direction for me to even start to be able to regain faith.
In one month it will be a full year of awesome TV and PPV's. Is everything perfect? No, perfection doesn't exist in wrestling but ROH has put out the most consistent product.
I strongly disagree that the TV is awesome.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Let's get to the real issue here, are Big Red Machine show reviews coming back? Sometimes I loved them, sometimes I hated them but I always read them.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:41 pm
famicommander wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:37 pm ROH is still very, very far from perfect but in my view they're the only reasonably competent promotion putting out English language content every week. And the product is the best it has been in the television era of the company in my book. Orders of magnitude better than 2019.
I would have said that a few weeks ago, but I am struck by how little movement there seems to be in any of the stories. Sure, belts are changing hands, but it feels more like things are going in circles than actually going somewhere.

And I appear to be alone in this sentiment, but I actually liked a few chunks of 2019 (the summer in particular). I didn't think it was nearly as bad as 2017 or 2018.
It just doesn't get lower than PCO as world champion.

I think the biggest failures of the years before that were relying too much on Bullet Club and being too late to pull the trigger on guys. I think Dalton Castle and Matt Taven both had their world title runs about nine months too late. Both guys were white hot about that timeframe prior to their runs, but by the time they got the belts it was a bit underwhelming. Imagine a babyface Taven winning his belt in Lowell in front of 2000+ Taven fans instead of winning it in front of 16,000+ Elite fans that wanted Marty.
Big Red Machine

kovs27 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:45 pm Let's get to the real issue here, are Big Red Machine show reviews coming back? Sometimes I loved them, sometimes I hated them but I always read them.
Yeah. I'm not going to go post stuff in old threads, but starting with Glory By Honor I will resume posting them here. For anything between then and whenever I was last here (sometime in 2019 when the Forum was having some technical issues, maybe), just go to (CHEAP PLUG) http://www.thewrestlingrevolution.com/r ... t.php?id=3
If you have thoughts you are inclined to share, you can do so on the forum over there, as we have no rules against necro-posting. I've also got a recently-updated thread ranking all of the ROH World Title reigns which I will import over here.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:46 pm

I think the biggest failures of the years before that were relying too much on Bullet Club and being too late to pull the trigger on guys. I think Dalton Castle and Matt Taven both had their world title runs about nine months too late. Both guys were white hot about that timeframe prior to their runs, but by the time they got the belts it was a bit underwhelming. Imagine a babyface Taven winning his belt in Lowell in front of 2000+ Taven fans instead of winning it in front of 16,000+ Elite fans that wanted Marty.
You're not wrong (even though, as I said elsewhere, I really liked Letha's second run), and the PCO thing probably qualifies as the worst individual move in a long time, but that summer was when certain people really started to bloom for me, plus you had Lethal, Taven, Gresham, etc. performing a a very high level.

Also, this is just a guess, but I'm willing to wager that I liked the Lethal vs. Taven broadway a lot more than most.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:10 pm

You're not wrong (even though, as I said elsewhere, I really liked Letha's second run), and the PCO thing probably qualifies as the worst individual move in a long time, but that summer was when certain people really started to bloom for me, plus you had Lethal, Taven, Gresham, etc. performing a a very high level.

Also, this is just a guess, but I'm willing to wager that I liked the Lethal vs. Taven broadway a lot more than most.
I think Taven's performances were top notch before and during his title run. I just think he was a lot hotter with the crowd months before he actually won the title.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Storylines can move faster. You are correct and i've been a bit negative about that the last few weeks but i have to give ROH a small pass because they had some bad luck with covid positives, remember EC3 missing FB extending the Jay feud into March, and some badly timed injuries to Dragon Lee and Hot Sauce.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

On "week by week" they announced that Josh Woods will challenge for the ROH Pure Championship at Death Before Dishonor against the winner of Jonathan Gresham vs Rhett Titus.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Hmmm, i don't recall Taven being "hot" around the time of "all In" or late 2018. From my perspective his 1 hour match at the 17th anniversary show (i believe) was the match, where he went from potential contender; to maybe he's the guy we run with the belt for a bit.

Also, Taven was always more hated than anything else. He's a heel, who actually plays a heel role to get boo's; unlike some other wrestlers. I appreciate that. Not sure how Boston would react, i assume mixed. Don't think Boston is pulling in 2K fans either. Guess we'll never know, but i thought Taven title run was pretty good. Not sure i need to see him win it back in some redemption story. I think he's in a good spot to be a upper card guy for another year or two; and start putting new folks over.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Montana wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:32 am

Hmmm, i don't recall Taven being "hot" around the time of "all In" or late 2018. From my perspective his 1 hour match at the 17th anniversary show (i believe) was the match, where he went from potential contender; to maybe he's the guy we run with the belt for a bit.

Also, Taven was always more hated than anything else. He's a heel, who actually plays a heel role to get boo's; unlike some other wrestlers. I appreciate that. Not sure how Boston would react, i assume mixed. Don't think Boston is pulling in 2K fans either. Guess we'll never know, but i thought Taven title run was pretty good. Not sure i need to see him win it back in some redemption story. I think he's in a good spot to be a upper card guy for another year or two; and start putting new folks over.
1900 was the house they drew in Lowell for the one show they ran there in 2018. My timeline was a bit off but if you go back and watch the show Taven was insanely over.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Death Before Dishonor has been moved to the 2300 Arena.

Apparently ROH wants me to attend every show with fans.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

kovs27 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:21 am Death Before Dishonor has been moved to the 2300 Arena.

Apparently ROH wants me to attend every show with fans.
That's a rather surprising move. I guess they're happy with the GBH sales so far.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://twitter.com/laviemarg/status/14 ... 36519?s=21
Fair. They had also only sold 152 tickets at my last count.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

supersonic wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:04 am https://twitter.com/laviemarg/status/14 ... 36519?s=21
Fair. They had also only sold 152 tickets at my last count.
I'm going to have to disagree with Lavie here, depending on when his last count was. I counted 188 sold before the map went down.

Not that there's a massive difference between the two numbers.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

a quickly back up plan, hope they can deliver

fuck covid.