Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:16 pm
Shanahan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:35 pm
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:28 pm When you have two matches a week, I think putting a younger guy in to lose is better than Delirious. It’s a shit character. What story is it advancing or paying off?
What story would have been told with random dojo guy losing??? Nothing. This told a story and was also really good match that i was shocked at how much i enjoyed.

I'm still not happy about lose follow up from PPV but i can forgive it if the TV is still good...which is it.
If you’re going to have random TV matches that don’t mean anything, I would put guys - who aren’t on TV there.
You declared the match didn't mean anything. People who watched it feel otherwise. I doubt any of the dojo guys would have delivered the same quality match and beating Delirious means much more to the fanbase than beating Eric Martin.

It's not like Delirious is out of shape or a bad worker or a mark for himself. He's barely 40 and he still looks lean and mobile. He gave Rocky a good match and a credible win and now Rocky is in a position to climb the Pure rankings and attempt to deliver on his goal of winning the Pure title and defending it in NJPW. I doubt they will put the title on him but either way, this was both page 1 of a new story and a callback to 17 years worth of history.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Yeah, you’re right. We need more matches with “17 years of history” on ROH TV.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:57 pm Yeah, you’re right. We need more matches with “17 years of history” on ROH TV.
And if it was Rocky vs Eric Martin you would be saying "why put a random jobber match on ROH TV"...a lot to bitch about with ROH but Rocky/Delirious isn't one of them.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Shanahan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:25 pm
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:57 pm Yeah, you’re right. We need more matches with “17 years of history” on ROH TV.
And if it was Rocky vs Eric Martin you would be saying "why put a random jobber match on ROH TV"...a lot to bitch about with ROH but Rocky/Delirious isn't one of them.
If you’re running 1 hour a week and going 15 minutes, yeah! Still better than a lame ass character who wrestles a few times a year.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Overall do I think the time could be better spent on the bigger angles, feuds etc that need the padding, that deserve a strong build, yeah for sure. With that said you need a way to build a strong undercard, you need to create legitimate wins for everyone across the card. We all know why Rocky is in ROH and if it keeps everything strong on that side of things then a match here and there like this works well. Rocky is someone that would be great for the dojo guys, Giovanni, Isom to work with, learn from etc. If the win Rocky’s time in ROH leads somewhere I really don’t mind.

The problem will always be the 1 hour and the limitations it brings but ROH is doing its best to maximise it more so than ever before. The TV currently really feels like night and day to what it used to be. The smaller moments are really developing especially charachter develop internally in matches and getting stronger outside. There still needs a better pace towards PPV’s and stronger story telling in bigger moments but that can come with better stronger stories.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Won't watch a Rocky Romero match for free, will pay money to watch Tyrus. Checks out.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Lynx wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:02 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:08 amWhy would you align with someone only to want their title?
At this point I'm not sure if you watch wrestling at all.
Yeah, lol I don't watch it at all. Nope.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

famicommander wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:47 pm
Shanahan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:35 pm

What story would have been told with random dojo guy losing??? Nothing. This told a story and was also really good match that i was shocked at how much i enjoyed.

I'm still not happy about lose follow up from PPV but i can forgive it if the TV is still good...which is it.
If you’re going to have random TV matches that don’t mean anything, I would put guys - who aren’t on TV there.
You declared the match didn't mean anything. People who watched it feel otherwise. I doubt any of the dojo guys would have delivered the same quality match and beating Delirious means much more to the fanbase than beating Eric Martin.

It's not like Delirious is out of shape or a bad worker or a mark for himself. He's barely 40 and he still looks lean and mobile. He gave Rocky a good match and a credible win and now Rocky is in a position to climb the Pure rankings and attempt to deliver on his goal of winning the Pure title and defending it in NJPW. I doubt they will put the title on him but either way, this was both page 1 of a new story and a callback to 17 years worth of history.
To be fair lol.
Captain Podcast
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:43 pm Won't watch a Rocky Romero match for free, will pay money to watch Tyrus. Checks out.
Was I complaining about Rocky? No. I do not subscribe to Powerrr to see Tyrus wrestle. Some of us have good jobs and lives, and spending $5 a month ain’t shit.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Not sure what's worse....Tyrus on NWA or Gutfeld's shows.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

The match with Rocky may be my favorite Delirious match ever. The only objective complaint I can see on it is that ROH has been spending too much time treading water, even if the water is enjoyable enough.

Honestly Delirious probably need a solid win soon just to not completely devalue him.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:30 pm
Shanahan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:25 pm
If you’re running 1 hour a week and going 15 minutes, yeah! Still better than a lame ass character who wrestles a few times a year.
I can honestly not think of any way how Rocky vs Eric Martin could be viewed as a better choice than the Match we got. With all due respect to Martin.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:48 pm
famicommander wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:47 pm

To be fair lol.
I meant that he isn't a mark for himself in the sense of using his booking power to put himself over in the ring.

How many active wrestler bookers out there never booked themselves (or their families) to win a single title? All the major examples I can think of did.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I can't wait until we get some fans back in the building.

The first time we see some damn streamers will be a beautiful sight.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

If anyone is interested, I spoke this week with Joe Koff. Interesting interview where he talked a little bit about everything.

Here you have the video in English: https://youtu.be/rkzmKg4hKYo

And the text version (it was written in Spanish, so this is a Google-Translated version): https://translate.google.com/translate? ... -de-roh-tv
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

I enjoyed Rocky/Delirious for what it was, but with 1 hour remaining it really does feel like that time could have gone to someone else.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Lynx wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:44 am I enjoyed Rocky/Delirious for what it was, but with 1 hour remaining it really does feel like that time could have gone to someone else.
Yes. It would have been a highly praised/hidden gem type match on a B or C show. When people are dying for PPV follow through it’s seems to have received a more “this is what we get?” reaction.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Fite TV has been bought by Triller. No word on how this will affect ROH or any of the other wrestling shows on the platform.

Triller is most famous for staging that Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr geezer fight. They are putting on that gong show this weekend with Jake Paul vs Ben Askren and old man Mir vs old man Cunningham.

Triller seems to have deep pockets and the desire to make a splash but rumors are they are operating far into the red. Will be interesting to see if they can stick around for the long haul. Boxing promotion is a tough business, as we have seen with the failures of RocNation and all of Dana White's attempts to break into the sport so far.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

EvanKnight wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:00 am
Lynx wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:44 am I enjoyed Rocky/Delirious for what it was, but with 1 hour remaining it really does feel like that time could have gone to someone else.
Yes. It would have been a highly praised/hidden gem type match on a B or C show. When people are dying for PPV follow through it’s seems to have received a more “this is what we get?” reaction.
Naw, you guys are wrong. The viewers want to see a match with 17 year history of two part-time wrestlers. When a random viewer comes across the match, they will stay to watch some guy in a Halloween costume and no shoes wrestle over a normal looking wrestler. ROH! ROH! ROH!
Montana

Post by Montana »

It amazes me how much discussion a Delirious vs Rock match is getting.

I thought it was semi-interesting because you got 2 solid veterans in the ring with a long ROH history; and two major pieces of ROH and NJPW strong.

I think everyone is right... but everyone is looking at it differently. Yeah, with only 1 hour, maybe not put two part timers; OR why not build off the PPV. But it was still a good satisfactory opening match. There has certainly been worse for sure.