Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Here’s a preview of this weekend’s episode of “Ring of Honor Wrestling:”

Jonathan Gresham, Tracy Williams and Fred Yehi vs. Jay Lethal, Rhett Titus and Wheeler Yuta

The Foundation (Gresham, Lethal, Williams and Titus) looked on in disgust as the eight-man tag match pitting La Faccion Ingobernable (RUSH, Dragon Lee, Bestia del Ring) and Flip Gordon against Brody King, PCO and the Briscoes degenerated into chaos on last week’s episode of “Ring of Honor Wrestling.”

“This is not Ring of Honor,” Gresham said.

The Foundation members went to the ROH Board of Directors and proposed this six-man tag match, which they believe defines what ROH is all about. They wanted Yehi and Yuta to participate in the match because they share The Foundation’s philosophy on the sport of professional wrestling.

Yehi and Yuta gave a good account of themselves in the Pure Title Tournament last year. Yehi knocked off Silas Young in the first round before falling to Williams, and Yuta nearly upset eventual tournament winner Gresham in their first-round match.

This bout will mark the first time Gresham and Lethal, who are best friends and the current ROH World Tag Team Champions, have faced each other since Gresham defeated Lethal at Death Before Dishonor in September 2019.

Tony Deppen vs. LSG

This match will have a major impact on the ROH World Television Title division, as Deppen is No. 1 in the rankings and LSG is No. 3.

The last time these two were in the ring together was at Final Battle in December, when they competed in a Four Corner Survival Match along with Josh Woods and Dak Draper for a shot at the ROH World Television Championship.

It appeared that LSG was on his way to victory after hitting a splash off the top rope onto Woods, but Woods managed to roll out of the ring to avoid being pinned. The opportunistic Deppen immediately pounced on LSG and rolled him up for the three count.

The result left a bitter taste in the mouth of LSG, who has been grinding in ROH since 2015 only to see Deppen score a huge win in just his third match in ROH.

“This was my first opportunity to wrestle at Final Battle. Tony Deppen, you swooped right in and took what was mine,” LSG said. “If you think that I’m going to let the flavor of the month just walk on in and take what’s mine, you are so, so wrong.”

Deppen, who spent 11 years on the independent circuit before finally making it to ROH, isn’t apologizing for capitalizing on his opportunity at Final Battle.

“I know you’re coming to avenge your loss at Final Battle, but I have the momentum, you don’t,” Deppen said. “My main focus is to cement my spot on the Ring of Honor roster. So there’s nothing you can do to take that away from me. So bring it.”
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:05 pm Looks like yuta and fred yehi might be joining the foundation given this week episode
Eh I don’t think they’re joining, they’re just a part of the match because they’re in the Pure division.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

next week matches look great.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

The Sledge match was nothing special, but as an online exclusive match built as highlighting two dojo guys, it wasn’t offensive. In ring, O’Shay looked like the better prospect. I’d argue a 10 minute draw was the perfect finish for that match, neither guy could be put down, nor had the ability to put the other guy down.

Sledge has a good look and presence, but he should not be dominating CB or bodyguarding the Righteous, maybe the muscle and part-time tag partner for a newly smug LSG?
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

I agree about the Pure Wrestling identity. But i also think tag wrestling should be a huge focus as well
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

indyfan wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:42 am I agree about the Pure Wrestling identity. But i also think tag wrestling should be a huge focus as well
AEW really cornered that market. I do think more focus should be on the other division as well but for focus to be on the tag division more teams need to be built up. OGK seems to be getting a push in that direction and SOS could be focused on at any moment. Besides the Briscoes who they are still teasing being on the outs as a team there really isn't anyone else that could quickly be built to challenge Lethal/Gresham.

Having 5 different division and so much talent under contract there just isn't enough time on a 1 hour show a week to give all of these the proper time. Week to Week helps but ROH needs to get to a point where there are more events before proper time can be given to each division. I doubt that can happen until we get past this pandemic.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

With aew adding another hour soon and impact 3 hours now its best for roh to remain 1 hour
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:03 am With aew adding another hour soon and impact 3 hours now its best for roh to remain 1 hour
Isn't Impact still just two hours?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Zhuge1 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:14 am
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:03 am With aew adding another hour soon and impact 3 hours now its best for roh to remain 1 hour
Isn't Impact still just two hours?
They just announced a weekly Impact pre-show, that's probably what he means.

Also I haven't heard anything about AEW going to three hours either.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I mean aew adding more shows to tv
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Don’t know how many people have an IWTV account but there’s a pretty strong ROH representation on a recent OWA release ‘Good Trouble’. Included is a really nicely paced match with O’Shey and Lee Moriarty (showed what O’Shey could be with someone with real talent), Eli Isom had a good showing against Tre Lamar, while Gresham and Myron Reed delivered and built to something more for them later.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

BurningHammer wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:44 am Don’t know how many people have an IWTV account but there’s a pretty strong ROH representation on a recent OWA release ‘Good Trouble’. Included is a really nicely paced match with O’Shey and Lee Moriarty (showed what O’Shey could be with someone with real talent), Eli Isom had a good showing against Tre Lamar, while Gresham and Myron Reed delivered and built to something more for them later.
The Lucha Memes show that featured Gresham, Yuta, Deppen and Caballero will air tomorrow night. I've been looking forward to that one.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

kovs27 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:10 am
BurningHammer wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:44 am Don’t know how many people have an IWTV account but there’s a pretty strong ROH representation on a recent OWA release ‘Good Trouble’. Included is a really nicely paced match with O’Shey and Lee Moriarty (showed what O’Shey could be with someone with real talent), Eli Isom had a good showing against Tre Lamar, while Gresham and Myron Reed delivered and built to something more for them later.
The Lucha Memes show that featured Gresham, Yuta, Deppen and Caballero will air tomorrow night. I've been looking forward to that one.
Yeah I saw that today, been really looking forward to It too.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Thank you Eck Files for posting some future matches!!! I literally was complaining about that like a week ago.

Looks like an awesome lineup for February. Looking forward to all of these matches.

FEB 13th ROH TV

Tony Deppen vs. LSG
Foundation 6 man - Gresham, Tracey , Yehi vs. Lethal , Yuta & Rhett.

Feb 20th ROH TV

Grudge Match - Mike Bennett vs. Bateman (Announced on Eck Files)
Trios Title - Mexasquad vs. STP
Briscoes vs. Dragon Lee & Kenny King (Announced on ROH TV)
*** I'm assuming they won't have 3 matches on TV next week; but maybe ***

FEB 27th ROH TV (Championship Edition)

Tag Team Championship Lethal/Gresham vs. ??

ROH World Championship Rush vs. Shane Taylor

*** Coming soon *** Dalton Castle vs Josh Wood Pure Rules II -
Week by Week - Dak Draper vs Joey Keys.

19th Anniversary show coming to PPV in March (Then i assume there just will never be a 18th anniversary show)
Last edited by Montana on Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

I hope that Flip doesn't get his title shot for Anniversary event.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Lynx wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:38 am I hope that Flip doesn't get his title shot for Anniversary event.
No? Who do you want the champ (Rush/Shane Taylor) to face?

Personally i think Flip makes sense here; because he can have a really good match, take a loss; and continue cementing his heel persona. While ROH builds between a rematch of Rush and Brody King. Then maybe hold off on a Rush/Gresham match for a bit.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Really happy with the matches coming out over the next couple of weeks a lot that really interesting me and tie in with a lot of things happening.

So looks like the new set of tapings recorded will start from the 20th, I’m guessing ROH will tape again on the 20th March,and will see the Anniversary show a week later. Like Final Battle. So that gives us 6 weeks of TV to come if they air another episode on the week of the PPV.

Will be interesting to see how Keys and Dak go.

Kind of hope that STP don’t win the three man belts just because we haven’t seen Mexi-Squad in so long but hopefully they work it into a stronger feud between the groups. Kind of hope one of MexiSquad cheats to win shocking the group and create a tease for a later turn. STP are going to need some gold soon just give their voice some truth.

I think it will either be Taylor vs RUSH, or King vs RUSH at the Anniversary show. I could see Flip vs Lee for the TV title (going back to how LFI treated him in that tag match) although they may do Deppen again there. I guess there could be a three way for either title also.

Unless ROH picks someone for the tag title match my guess would be OGK but seeing Rhett and Tracey or say Yuta and Yehi in a tag team would be cool.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Per WO, ROH has applied for work permits for RUSH, Lee, Bestia, Bandido, Flamita and Horus.

Hopefully that means Flamita and Horus are sticking around too, as we haven’t heard about their contract status yet.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

BurningHammer wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:56 am Per WO, ROH has applied for work permits for RUSH, Lee, Bestia, Bandido, Flamita and Horus.

Hopefully that means Flamita and Horus are sticking around too, as we haven’t heard about their contract status yet.
Pretty sure Flamita and Horus are already under contract for 2021.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Impact fans are already mocking roh because i guess impact has a partnership with njpw examples roh doesnt have a reason to exist anymore or roh is dead is mlw and nwa