Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Captain_44

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Captain_44 »

famicommander wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:17 pm ROH should continue to focus on ROH. Keep investing time and resources into their own talent, not everybody else's.
I agree with this. I used to be open to working with Puro promotions. Develop what you have get back on track, then branch out and do working agreements.
Last edited by Captain_44 on Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

famicommander wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:17 pm ROH should continue to focus on ROH. Keep investing time and resources into their own talent, not everybody else's.
Very much agreed, even more so having seen the promo package they put together for the big eight man coming up, if that had been the first thing after the PPV it would have been great, regardless RUSH has fantastic presence now with his English, genuinely felt he got it, so excited to see how it all pans out.

If it ever were to happen though, Mox vs RUSH I could see being the American equivalent of La Parka vs RUSH and that was obviously money.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Yeah, relationships or no relationships, RoH needs to focus on what they got.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Agree 100% ROH should focus on ROH. Id like to see how NJPW handles this arangement.
Montana

Post by Montana »

With AEW having the rights to Moxley; it seems they kinda forced NJPW to play ball for a bit. I imagine both sides can work it out. It will be interesting to see for what they means for ROH & NJPW/AEW in the future. Seems like ROH may be the odd man out; but may or may not be a bad thing.

As for ROH now; I'd give them a B. They are doing a lot of things right/better. Certainly the lack to following up on Final Battle... the lack of promotion the next big show to looking forward too. They have established some key players for the future in a short period of time. Guys like Brody King, Flip Gordon, Jonathan Gresham, and Josh Woods. They still need more "buzz/hype" though. They really do need to find lighting in a bottle; to really continue to grow. I don't think working with other promotions would really hurt/help ROH that much at the moment. They still really need to sort out their TV distribution. What's the future of ROH look like. While i think Joe Koff has quietly made nice moves; you really gotta market and promote your product...much like AEW/Tony Kahn. Then HonorClub kinda taking a pause on completing the library is strange. I would expect to at least acknowledge the progress; and when fans can expect it to be complete. Doesn't seem that monumental to put EVERY piece of film on honorclub, every DVD, straight shooting, compilation, etc.

I'd still be a bit bummed if Honor Club subscribers only get 3 free months; despite airing maybe only 2-3 live shows from (MAR 2020 - June 2021) I know i'm not the only one that did a 1 year subscription in March before the anniversary show.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

I dont want a relationship between ROH and NjPW
Montana

Post by Montana »

indyfan wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:15 am I dont want a relationship between ROH and NjPW
Technically they still have one....but what it looks like in say 2022; it's anyone's guess.

With the way that ROH runs; with being a "live event' centric promotion; having some NJPW talent/ Dream matches... helps. Focusing on building ROH guys right now during the pandemic is great.... but when you have to sell tickets; and your product is still on the rebound...it might be hard to sell tickets...especially with what they've been charging historically. I like how ROH switched it up to a tour with CMLL in 2019. Maybe in 2022 they do RevPro or something... but like ROH and NJPW OVER did the working relationship. I'd be fine with a much more scaled back version. Its going to be hard selling tickets in 2022; with WWE/AEW/Impact/MLW/GCW all touring presumably. So not saying they NEED it; but it certainly helps in some areas.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Bringing in outside stars for short term bumps is how ROH got into this mess in the first place. Even if it takes longer to rebuild solo, that is what they should do. Put out another few PPVs as good as Final Battle and maintain the recent quality of the TV show and the fans will come back. And it will be organic which means they won't jump ship to the next hot thing.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

If ROH hasn’t made significant strides in getting fans to watch the product attend shows etc by 2022 then might they might as well close up. We are talking about a year away and so much can happen by then there’s is no real point in getting invested in something that may or may not happen. Right now ROH is producing consistent television and a general product that is overall better than probably for the last five years, keep it up while building new stars that people want to see (not SLEDGE) and ROH want be struggling for fans.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Is Sledge even any good?
Montana

Post by Montana »

famicommander wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:12 am Bringing in outside stars for short term bumps is how ROH got into this mess in the first place. Even if it takes longer to rebuild solo, that is what they should do. Put out another few PPVs as good as Final Battle and maintain the recent quality of the TV show and the fans will come back. And it will be organic which means they won't jump ship to the next hot thing.
There is various reasons why ROH is in this position; and using NJPW talent is NOT one of them. Biggest factors to me:

- They didn't grow with their fanbase. Missed big opportunities.
- The absolute lack of marketing and promoting themselves. BTE marketed way more than ROH itself. Go look how much ROH posted on youtube from 2015-2019 and go look at 2020. I'm willing to bet; ROH did more in 2020; than the past 4-5 years combined.
- Stale Booking
- High Ticket Prices while they were hot
- Then obviously 1/3 of the roster leaving to form AEW.
- Cruise control from the roster stand point; although... to be fair... the roster was full; so limited new faces could come in.
- NXT/Evolve as well hurt.
- Lack of TV distribution

ROH and Working NJPW; had nothing to do with ROH have zero stars ready made ; to take over the spotlight when the Elite left. Matt Taven was pretty well groomed; but he flopped (in a sense) because the company had no traction; and was taking multiple steps backwards.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The point was that when you can rely on NJPW stars and trademarks (like Bullet Club) to move tickets you become complacent because you have an artificial measure of fan interest in your product. Most of what you listed would have been apparent to the people running the show a lot earlier than it was if they couldn't rely on Bullet Club and a guy like Kushida or Hiromu or Okada to put the asses in the seats.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

indyfan wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:53 am Is Sledge even any good?
lets wait next week roh tv.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

We'll always have that super dope SCOH card before COVID ruined everything and Marty probably sealed the relationship's fate. People who are saying ROH doesn't need New Japan are giving off major TNA Mecca vibes whenever anyone leaves. Spoiler, you can make your storylines coherent, build your talent AND use outside talent, blaming New Japan is an unrelated cop out.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I don’t blame New Japan whatsoever, I do blame ROH for using it as a crutch to pop a crowd, to gain likes, fan interaction etc. There have been many problems with ROH, a few things outside of this relationship for sure but in the end there were too many tours, too many lacklustre matches, so many times I wanted a situation like that’s happening now with Kenta and all that was possible was GOD and in the end that did nothing because of where ROH was overall.

If the relationship is still good, which it’s rumoured to be, then the only thing that should happen is one match interaction at a time. So at least then a lot of the card is still going to be based around your talent.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

In all honestly it's not like ROH could do something with New Japan right now anyway. The slow pace of the tv tapings and having so many guys on the roster right now, ROH doesn't need outside guys taking up time. Now when things open back up and touring begins again it's a different story. New Japan needs the belt back from Moxley and if the only way to do that is doing some crossover with AEW then so be it. They don't really have a choice.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

ROH LAUNCHES NEW AND IMPROVED SHOP EXPERIENCE

Ring of Honor is turning ordinary online shopping into an immersive experience with the launch of ShopHonor.com.

The new mobile-friendly design has been enhanced for better navigation and searching. There’s a “Recommended for You” feature that showcases products based on your unique preferences. You also can filter any category by your favorite wrestler, favorite color or size.

To begin your ROH shopping experience, visit ShopHonor.com now.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

ROH NEEDS the Pure division to be its identity. Nobody else is doing that right now. They don’t need New Japan for that. Use people from New Japan as necessary, hell, team with NJPW Strong and do some inter promotional stuff there. But keep using the Pure division as the main focus or else ROH will fade into obscurity.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

WRESTLER OF THE YEAR: JONATHAN GRESHAM

https://www.rohwrestling.com/news/wrest ... an-gresham
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

ECK'S FILES

*The date of the huge match between ROH World Champion RUSH and No. 1 contender Shane Taylor for the title will be announced on this Tuesday’s episode of “ROH Week By Week.”

*I’m hearing there’s likely to be some familiar faces returning for the upcoming 19th Anniversary pay-per-view. The date of the show will be announced soon.

*ROH fans continue to ask for more Tony Deppen, and ROH matchmakers continue to oblige.

Deppen will face LSG on “Ring of Honor Wrestling” the weekend of Feb. 13. Deppen pinned LSG in the Four Corner Survival Match at Final Battle in December to earn a shot against ROH World Television Champion Dragon Lee that night.