Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by famicommander »

To be fair to LuFisto, there's nearly a decade's worth of age difference between her and Sumie Sakai.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

famicommander wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:38 pm To be fair to LuFisto, there's nearly a decade's worth of age difference between her and Sumie Sakai.
and it’s still too long in the tooth for me, this is a real problem with ROH in general as we’ve got half the roster having to shave their heads because they are going bold, many are starting to grey/bodies looking beat up stiff unable to move. It’s not going to attract any young viewers at all. Plus it makes matches overall that much more mundane because people can’t go. ROH genuinely has the perfect set up for young talent now, there are a lot of experienced quality heads in that locker room that could get talent through the roof, we’ve seen how Woods has made great strides imagine someone without half the learning curve he has had and where they could go.

It’s not like there isn’t young talent out there I mean really should a 35 year Sledge, 32 year old Johnson etc be dojo signings, no, get people in their early 20’s. Men and women that have real talent and in the end our connection with them becomes stronger and so does their longevity in ROH.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

In honor of Scrap Iron being scheduled to face Roman Reigns at the Rumble for now (kayfabe, brother), what is everyone's second favorite singles match of his in ROH (assuming everyone has Albright at DBD as #1).

Candidates as best as I can remember:

- Double title match versus Nigel
- Rematch with Albright
- Dog collar match with Delirious
- Cage match with Homicide
- Cabana farewell match

Any other good ones?
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

maxx_powerz wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:22 pm In honor of Scrap Iron being scheduled to face Roman Reigns at the Rumble for now (kayfabe, brother), what is everyone's second favorite singles match of his in ROH (assuming everyone has Albright at DBD as #1).

- Rematch with Albright
- Cabana farewell match

Any other good ones?
As #1 Adam Pearce fan, Pearce/Albright in NYC is tops, Pearce/Homcide in the Cage, Pearce/Delirious pretty much every match was solid to great, Cabana farewell, 100th show 6 man, cage of death at DBD 4
Captain Podcast
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:56 pm
maxx_powerz wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:22 pm In honor of Scrap Iron being scheduled to face Roman Reigns at the Rumble for now (kayfabe, brother), what is everyone's second favorite singles match of his in ROH (assuming everyone has Albright at DBD as #1).

- Rematch with Albright
- Cabana farewell match

Any other good ones?
As #1 Adam Pearce fan, Pearce/Albright in NYC is tops, Pearce/Homcide in the Cage, Pearce/Delirious pretty much every match was solid to great, Cabana farewell, 100th show 6 man, cage of death at DBD 4
Jeff’s list is bang on the money. The first Pearce/Albright match at DBD6 trumps the rematch.

Even if the CZW feud is of limited interest - Pearce/Joe/Whitmer vs Hero/Necro/Super Dragon at the 100th Show is one of my favourite ROH matches ever. By 2021 it feels like a lost/forgotten classic. Just a brilliant, aggressive, bloody brawl. Hero, Joe and Pearce are all brilliant (by far Joe’s best contribution to the CZW feud).

As an extra I’d throw in the ‘rematch’ to that 100th Show classic - Pearce/Cabana/Steel/Whitmer vs Claudio/Necro/S-Drag/Webb at Weekend Of Champions Night 1 as it’s a great match too (although I’ve not seen it in years so can’t remember if Pearce specifically contributes loads!)
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

A talent can only be in one bracket or division at time and if you want to switch divisions it has to be approved by board of directors and the top three talent in the division can get a title shot
Mavsfan41

Post by Mavsfan41 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:36 am A talent can only be in one bracket or division at time and if you want to switch divisions it has to be approved by board of directors and the top three talent in the division can get a title shot
So basically only the top three per division can be granted a title shot. Which isn’t terrible in theory, but who’s determining these “rankings”?

Also why would any talent decide to be in the TV title division? We’ve been told for years that the World title is everyone’s goal, but if you’re in the tv title division you can’t get a shot at it ever.

There’s so many things wrong with this idea. Plus the silly board of directors nonsense too.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Mavsfan41 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:18 pm
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:36 am A talent can only be in one bracket or division at time and if you want to switch divisions it has to be approved by board of directors and the top three talent in the division can get a title shot
So basically only the top three per division can be granted a title shot. Which isn’t terrible in theory, but who’s determining these “rankings”?

Also why would any talent decide to be in the TV title division? We’ve been told for years that the World title is everyone’s goal, but if you’re in the tv title division you can’t get a shot at it ever.

There’s so many things wrong with this idea. Plus the silly board of directors nonsense too.
Probably be like only so many are in world title bracket and if you lose matches you lose your spot where others can move up into it.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

From what roh said its the board of directors that determine which of the three wrestlers in each division gets the title shot or the fans can help pick and wrestlers are put in particular divisions based on the style of wrestling or the quality of wins or losses a talent has but a talent can request to switch divisions
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

ROH released two sets of inaugural rankings during the latest edition of ROH Week by Week. Quinn McKay explained that wrestlers will only be ranked in one singles division at a time, but they are allowed to be ranked simultaneously as part of tag teams or six-man squads.

The ROH board of directors placed wrestlers in specific singles divisions. If a wrestler wants to switch divisions, then they must submit a request to the board for evaluation and approval. Rankings criteria include wins and losses, caliber of wins and losses, strength of opponent, resume, style, and influence from fans. Any wrestler in the top three is eligible to challenge for the respective title at the discretion of the board.

The rankings for the Pure Championship and TV title were revealed.

ROH Pure Championship rankings

5. Fred Yehi
4. Rhett Titus
3. Josh Woods
2. Flip Gordon
1. Tracy Williams
Champ: Jonathan Gresham

ROH World Television Championship rankings

5. LSG
4. Kenny King
3. Dak Draper
2. Tony Deppen
1. Rey Horus
Champ: Dragon Lee
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The TV Title would be attractive because, at least in theory, it's supposed to be defended far more often than the World Title. You could climb the rankings in the TV division inside a month and get your title shot, for example. But even if you earn a World Title shot you could be waiting a long time for that shot to actually come to pass. Obviously the pandemic is a big factor as to why, but just look at how many people have a title shot in hand right now. Shane Taylor, Flip Gordon, Mark Haskins, and Matt Taven just off the top of my head all have a World Title shot in the bank.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

After watching Week by Week I felt Quinn put forward a strong argument as to how and why the rankings were built. What I do like in a sense is that it’s out of the wrestlers control, there are rule makers above the wrestlers which I think for any company helps establish strength in those in power. What it will do is help with giving someone who wants to step out of those rules something to work off.

I would say it would be better to give us a top 10 as it gives us a clearer idea where everyone is, considering ROH has a good size talent pool and there quite a few names unaccounted for. Also can tell us who can move up the rankings and or take spots. Even more important when there can be a top 3 challenger, which I’m guessing will be based off on certain circumstances like performance of the month/night, wins in a row, obviously voting as well will be a factor.

It’s great to see Yehi and Deppen in there, hopefully that’s a good sign. Would love to Yuta in there sometime. Probably my biggest concern is having so many from the Foundation in the top ranks of the pure division especially when Gresham stated he was sending out his partners to purify each division. Will one of Rhett or Williams petition to leave to go for the TV title. I’m assuming Lethal is going for the world title.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Not a fan of the rankings in wrestling, but oh well. We'll see how it plays out I suppose. I wonder who they'd have at the top of world title rankings? Taylor?
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I like Board of Directors. You give heels the built in storyline of always blaming the man for your problems. Rankings done right can give structure.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

so yehi and deppen are roh regulars ? i hope so
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

monster mafia wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:16 am so yehi and deppen are roh regulars ? i hope so
Hopefully we will hear an announcement of them being signed soon. It seems like ROH is taking their time announcing signings.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Roh Bubble this weekend...great!
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

A lot of the recent pages of this thread is *really* embarrassing.

No wonder the MyPillow guy advertises on ROH TV.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

- Rematch with Albright
- Cabana farewell match

Any other good ones?
Hangmen Three vs. Delirious, Steen, & Generico @ FB2007 might be a gem, but I don't remember a thing about it.

The cage match against Homicide has no substance, BUT it does show just how over Homicide was two weeks prior to FB2006, making it a highlight of the otherwise disappointing storyline that led up to it in that regard.

From my reviews years ago:

Jack Evans, Jimmy Yang, & Matt Sydal vs. Jimmy Jacobs, BJ Whitmer, & Adam Pearce - Tag Wars 2006 ***1/2
Bryan Danielson & CM Punk vs. Jimmy Rave & Adam Pearce - Unscripted II ***1/2
Samoa Joe, BJ Whitmer, & Adam Pearce vs. Chris Hero, Super Dragon, & Necro Butcher - The 100th Show ****3/4
BJ Whitmer, Adam Pearce, Ace Steel, & Colt Cabana vs. Super Dragon, Nate Webb, Necro Butcher, & Claudio Castagnoli - Weekend of Champions Night 1 ***1/2
Cage of Death - Death Before Dishonor IV *****
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Soooooooooo....Omega and Good Brothers with Bullet Club gear on at Hard to Kill. They had to have gotten permission so things just got more interesting.