Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
NewROHFan2020

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:30 am Still think he is working or will be working for aew or roh soon my gut feeling its roh
Since Lagana isn’t with the NWA anymore, I seriously doubt the NWA/ROH relationship has any future to it.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:53 pm
famicommander wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:21 am Billy doesn't own the NWA library. He only owns the stuff from the time he bought the promotion forward. And that content has no value. It's been up on Youtube for free since it came out.

There's no way a guy who is begging for money on Patreon to keep his promotion afloat has anything of value to sell the big promotions.
Technically that’s not true. He also owns the Paul Bosch tape library. He does own some old stuff. That being said, I can’t imagine his library being that valuable - to anyone
I'm not sure he bought those older tapes. I think the previous owner held onto hat stuff.

Nobody is buying the NWA. AEW needs Thunder Rosa to help make their currently weak womens division and can use the NWA Women's title to add another story. Let's see if that continues when more international talent is able to return after the pandemic. If Marty isn't in charge of ROH then they aren't working with the NWA. I'm willing to bet that Marty was the most instrumental piece to the ROH/NWA collaboration than Lagana.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

famicommander wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:21 amThere's no way a guy who is begging for money on Patreon to keep his promotion afloat has anything of value to sell the big promotions.
I think nobody is saying that Billy would get lots of money for NWA and whatever library he owns.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Lynx wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:27 pm
famicommander wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:21 amThere's no way a guy who is begging for money on Patreon to keep his promotion afloat has anything of value to sell the big promotions.
I think nobody is saying that Billy would get lots of money for NWA and whatever library he owns.
The point is that the person I'm replying to is engaged in wishful thinking. There's no reason to expect the big promotions to ride to the NWA's rescue in any sense. The NWA has even less to offer now than they did the last time ROH let them leech some air time, and even back then it was a decision that didn't benefit ROH in any way.

It just makes ROH look minor league to associate with NWA. It does them absolutely no good to bring in their worthless brand and give exposure to their titles over ROH's.

ROH is on TV and PPV in several countries around the world. They have TV, PPV, iPPV, subscriptions, merch, home video sales, and a touring business when the pandemic is over. NWA is currently begging for Patreon funds so that they can air matches that already aired on UWN Primetime Live, which nobody watches to begin with. NWA needs financial assistance to essentially yell into the void.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:38 am
The point is that the person I'm replying to is engaged in wishful thinking. There's no reason to expect the big promotions to ride to the NWA's rescue in any sense. The NWA has even less to offer now than they did the last time ROH let them leech some air time, and even back then it was a decision that didn't benefit ROH in any way.

It just makes ROH look minor league to associate with NWA. It does them absolutely no good to bring in their worthless brand and give exposure to their titles over ROH's.

ROH is on TV and PPV in several countries around the world. They have TV, PPV, iPPV, subscriptions, merch, home video sales, and a touring business when the pandemic is over. NWA is currently begging for Patreon funds so that they can air matches that already aired on UWN Primetime Live, which nobody watches to begin with. NWA needs financial assistance to essentially yell into the void.
They are not begging for Patreon funds. Their Patreon used to have access to the talent and you got their “programming” early. The NWA has a very passionate and loyal fan base. Since the NWA has very few employees - I’m sure Billy can pay their salaries.

Since most fans left ROH in 2019, the NWA and ROH have a lot in common. Afterthoughts by most fans, lucky to get 1,000 paid fans for live events, etc. When you live in a glass house, you shouldn’t be throwing rocks.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:21 am

They are not begging for Patreon funds. Their Patreon used to have access to the talent and you got their “programming” early. The NWA has a very passionate and loyal fan base. Since the NWA has very few employees - I’m sure Billy can pay their salaries.

Since most fans left ROH in 2019, the NWA and ROH have a lot in common. Afterthoughts by most fans, lucky to get 1,000 paid fans for live events, etc. When you live in a glass house, you shouldn’t be throwing rocks.
Their only source of revenue was the fewer than 200 people that fit in their old Power studio, and however few people bought the two PPVs they cobbled together. They didn't make any money from Youtube, which was pretty much their only platform to deliver content. At the very peak of Billy's NWA run the limit of their reach was a few hundred thousand views on a platform which no longer allows wrestling promotions to monetize content. The very bottom of ROH's popularity is still orders of magnitude bigger than that. What ROH considered a disaster for attendance was still 2-3 times as many people as even fit into the NWA's studio. ROH still had television deals in multiple countries. ROH still had the Honor Club subscriptions, the merch, the PPVs and iPPVs.

And it's hilarious that they charge people to offer "early access" to matches that aired last month. Matches that they had to tape at the charity of an indie promoter who can't even charge for tickets to his own shows.

Just because ROH fell a long way from their peak doesn't mean NWA was anywhere close to their level. At no point since Corgan bought them have the NWA had any clear path to making money. They provide no value to anybody. In the absolute worst case scenario for ROH during the pandemic they were still able to pay their entire roster their full wages, including the people they had no contractual obligation to pay.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Their only source of revenue was the fewer than 200 people that fit in their old Power studio, and however few people bought the two PPVs they cobbled together. They didn't make any money from Youtube, which was pretty much their only platform to deliver content. At the very peak of Billy's NWA run the limit of their reach was a few hundred thousand views on a platform which no longer allows wrestling promotions to monetize content. The very bottom of ROH's popularity is still orders of magnitude bigger than that. What ROH considered a disaster for attendance was still 2-3 times as many people as even fit into the NWA's studio. ROH still had television deals in multiple countries. ROH still had the Honor Club subscriptions, the merch, the PPVs and iPPVs.

And it's hilarious that they charge people to offer "early access" to matches that aired last month. Matches that they had to tape at the charity of an indie promoter who can't even charge for tickets to his own shows.

Just because ROH fell a long way from their peak doesn't mean NWA was anywhere close to their level. At no point since Corgan bought them have the NWA had any clear path to making money. They provide no value to anybody. In the absolute worst case scenario for ROH during the pandemic they were still able to pay their entire roster their full wages, including the people they had no contractual obligation to pay.
I’m not trying to argue that the NWA is some kind of financial juggernaut. That’s great ROH has been paying their employees, is that going to make anyone of fan because of that? No. WWE fired people during the pandemic and are the #1 wrestling promotion and will be for the foreseeable future.

If there were no COVID, Final Battle would have hundreds in attendance, not thousands. That’s why NWA and ROH are similar. Way behind #1 and #2. Trying to be the biggest slice in the #3 pie.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:50 pm
famicommander wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:11 pm

I’m not trying to argue that the NWA is some kind of financial juggernaut. That’s great ROH has been paying their employees, is that going to make anyone of fan because of that? No. WWE fired people during the pandemic and are the #1 wrestling promotion and will be for the foreseeable future.

If there were no COVID, Final Battle would have hundreds in attendance, not thousands. That’s why NWA and ROH are similar. Way behind #1 and #2. Trying to be the biggest slice in the #3 pie.
Just because both are much smaller than WWE doesn't mean they're similar in size. Just because ROH was struggling doesn't mean NWA was close. Again, the worst attendance ROH ever reported was still more people than would even fit into a taping of Power. Not to mention the difference in ticket prices.

It's a very clear hierarchy right now in the US.
1. WWE
(massive gap)
2. AEW
(massive gap)
3. ROH and 4. Impact
(large gap)
5. MLW
(large gap)
indies, of which NWA isn't even the biggest. They currently produce content at the discretion of Dave Marquez's United Wrestling Network, which is more or less Championship Wrestling From Hollywood. CWFH doesn't even come close to registering as competitor to MLW, and NWA isn't even on CFWH's level.

The fact that networks, streaming outlets, and PPV carriers in multiple countries pay ROH, MLW, and Impact for their content while nobody pays NWA for their content is all that should have to be said. It's easy to say you have a loyal fanbase when all you ask of them is a click of the mouse which you can't even monetize. ROH, MLW, and Impact fans actually spend money on the product, and the products produce money for content carriers which is why they continue to air on their platforms.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

I believe we’ve been over this before and I posted on this board saying something like “some wrestling fans just love to shit on other companies and wrestlers”. You’re definitely in that group.

ROH has a bigger payroll than the NWA, so drawing a little better than them isn’t viable for the long haul. Have a good one!
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:54 pm I believe we’ve been over this before and I posted on this board saying something like “some wrestling fans just love to shit on other companies and wrestlers”. You’re definitely in that group.

ROH has a bigger payroll than the NWA, so drawing a little better than them isn’t viable for the long haul. Have a good one!
It's basic logic.

One company has content providers all over the world paying for their product.

One company asks for Patreon money and posts Youtube videos of month-old matches.

And again, 200 fans is the upper limit of what NWA could possibly draw. They don't even have that many chairs in their venue. The lowest ROH ever drew in the Sinclair era for a US show was 250 in November 2019, and they drew over 1000 in Maryland a few weeks after they hit that low mark. You took the best case scenario of one company and compared it to the worst case scenario of the other, and still came up short. 250 was an apocalyptic disaster for ROH, while for NWA it's literally more than they could hope for.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Roh might have to work with aew given how aew are getting partnerships with impact nwa mlw and possibly soon njpw leaving roh in the cold
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

i think Matt, Nick and Cody owe it to ROH to work with them
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

indyfan wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:22 pm i think Matt, Nick and Cody owe it to ROH to work with them
You're out of your fucking head.
Captain Podcast
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:49 pm Roh might have to work with aew given how aew are getting partnerships with impact nwa mlw and possibly soon njpw leaving roh in the cold
Doesn't the impact thing make NJPW less likely or is there news out there I missed? I mean, a year ago NJPW still hated impact so much that they decided they'd rather have no US TV than share a channel with impact, right?
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

The good bros are wanting impact to make up with njpw and omega wants a partnership with njpw so it leaves roh in the cold if they dont get involved so roh will have to make big move to stay revelant
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

The worst thing ROH can do right is to do what Impact is doing, for them I get it, they’ve needed that injection for a while after finally finding a footing and personality for itself. ROH is finally doing that and doing a good job of it too, let’s just focus on what ROH is doing first because chasing AEW, or New Japan’s rep got us into the mess ROH is in to begin with.

Make ROH a destination of feeling safe secure in all ways possible as well as creatively strong, appropriate while delivering strong matches and it really doesn’t matter who’s with who. F it’s Impact turn to go on that merry go round awesome but there’s only going to one winner, maybe two and it certainly isn’t going to Impact so I’d rather ROH actually, finally, made itself a valued company again.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I agree that ROH should stay out of entanglements. ROH has three singles titles, tag titles, trios titles, and a vacant women's title. Focus on those. Don't muddy the waters with other promotions' belts.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:27 pm
indyfan wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:22 pm i think Matt, Nick and Cody owe it to ROH to work with them
Owe is the wrong word..."willing" would be better. From what i've read there is no ill will...
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Shanahan wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:49 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:27 pm
Owe is the wrong word..."willing" would be better. From what i've read there is no ill will...
Yeah owe was the wrong word. It just rubs me the wrong way how they all left and started up a company. I know business is business but since it is....ROH should never sell the All In ppv footage
Montana

Post by Montana »

I could understand where the Cody & Bucks would feel some sort of debt to ROH...

ROH basically them helped them jump start their own company and stepped on their back in the process. Like it or not; No All In.... No AEW. Cody/Bucks/Omega; used their inside knowledge to talk to ROH & NJPW talent.... Now i'm not saying they were trying to be malicious.... but in their quest to "change the world" they kinda screwed over ROH & NJPW. I can see ROH & NJPW being a little salty with them. Plus since launching.... i'm sure AEW could have scooped up a lot more ROH talent than are currently doing. I gotta think; they don't want to be seen as the group that simply buys out everyone from ROH/NJPW/MLW/GCW. To their credit; they've brought in some really good young talent.

So no they technically don't OWE them anything; and nothing malicious was done.... BUT as people/friends/associates... i think they recognize they didn't get to that point ALL by themselves.