Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Its behind a pay wall by fightful talks on there plans for roh to have a revamp
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

According to a report by Fightful Select, sources within Ring of Honor (ROH) have stated that the company is planning a program revamp. This includes company officials informing new talent that the plan is to rejuvenate the brand and overhaul it “from top to bottom.Per the report, ROH’s plan includes revamping the women’s division, which Jonathan Gresham previously took over at the start fo the year. Some of these plans were said to be in motion before the COVID-19 pandemic hit. As a result, they won’t start to take affect until closer to the end of 2020.

Additionally, Delirious has reportedly been reaching out to wrestlers to speak with them about working in ROH. Also, company officials have taken heavy feedback from wrestlers over the course of the last year in order to implement upcoming changes to the show’s overall presentation and production. Some of those recommendations from wrestlers have already been implemented for the weekly ROH TV show for the Pure Championship Tournament.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Good Update...

But... when i think of overhaul top to bottom.... i don't think of using the same people, in the same positions. IE ...Delirious head booker/talent scout. Gary Juster in his same role... Joe Koff...same role.... Greg the finance guy etc etc. No major update on the women's division as they have to revamp it; as they haven't had a champion in like a year. Still going with the original plan they had 6+ months ago.

Not sure who ROH plans to sign... that would really "move the needle" for them per say. Don't think the talent is the issue.

The other concern, would be their TV product and HonorClub live event model. Improving the TV presentation is great; but look to get it on a stable network and the same date/time weekly. Then have a plan for HonorClub & PPVs. Doesn't seem like rocket science.

Then there's the elephant in the room with Marty's 6 month investigation.

Guess that's the things about the vague/generic reports that the dirt sheets need to come up with. I could literally make all of that up, just based on current info. Doesn't really say what they are actually doing other than revamping programming; which is basically what they've already started, and likely continue post-Pure tournament.

I give ROH credit for improving presentation, HonorClub, and Youtube Content.... all steps in the right direction. Still need better/clear reporting on the direction of the company.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I still think Sinclair just needs to go all in on ROH TV.

They currently have:
dozens of local ABC/NBC/CW/Fox/CBS/MyNetwork stations
The regional Fox Sports Networks
Charge
Comet
Stadium
TBD
STIRR
Honor Club/ROH Wrestling.com

Just pick one night of the week and put the TV show on all of those networks plus Fite TV on that night. Simple. Doesn't have to be the same timeslot, but just being able to say that ROH is on, for instance, every Thursday night would be a big boost. On the local OTA networks it could simply air after the evening news; on the sports networks a regular slot unless bumped by a live sporting event, in which case just air it after the postgame coverage ends. The digital subchannels like Charge and Stadium could air it in a regular slot.

It's really frustrating that, despite complaining about it for years at this point, when I go to ROH's website and type in my zip code it STILL says the show isn't on in my area despite me having Stadium and Charge. There's simply no excuse for a Sinclair product like ROH not having accurate, up to date listings for when and where the show airs on their own damn platforms.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Talent in general has been an issue for ROH especially how most of it felt like square pegs in round holes. Looking at PCO’s make over there has been a deep thought into how someone like him can fit into ROH going forward. That said there needs to be better more focused idea of talent especially in ring wise, those can deliver a high quality in ring wrestling show while also giving ROH a more youthful edge, which again has been sorely lacking Right now the Indies have started to find a quality similar to what ROH found in the era with Nigel, Aries etc.

They also have two to three talents, (Eric Martin is one to keep an eye on especially) at the Dojo that can really make it along with Isom, so hopefully they can get a real and productive break in ROH.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I'm not going to judge what the Fightful Select report says until we start seeing these changes. I have really enjoyed how the Pure tournament has been presented. We don't have enough known quantity information to judge what changes will happen in the womens division or the overall product but te fact that management recognizes an overhaul was needed is a strong start.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Do you think how gresham head of the women grace will end up in roh next year
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

ROH better sign Fred Yehi. the guy is gold and deserves to be in ROH more than most guys already signed. Please sign Rust Taylor too.

And if Tracy isnt under contract...lock him down. his promos have been good too. The more he talks, the more i want the Pure Title on him
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

indyfan wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:04 am ROH better sign Fred Yehi. the guy is gold and deserves to be in ROH more than most guys already signed. Please sign Rust Taylor too.

And if Tracy isnt under contract...lock him down. his promos have been good too. The more he talks, the more i want the Pure Title on him
I 2nd all of this.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

marty scurll it is no longer on the roh roster page.

he gone???
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Hope so, should have happened long ago and hopefully ROH has found out there other ways now to draw an audience and name value can actually matter very little when things are done right.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i was really looking forward for the villain era in the booking of roh...such a shame

now we have a lot of questions, the relantionship with njpw, the direction of the product, the roster...

lizard man here we go again.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Many of your questions are already being asked as Delirious has been in charge of all these tapings and it’s delivered overall.

We can only hope the Pure title tournament and the reaction it’s had has given Delirious and much better idea of where to take the product in general.

I would think more people sign with ROH than at any other time as they have shown great commitment to their wrestlers and in handling this situation very well. With no fans there is far less pressure of trying to sign names like PCO who create that attraction draw, and name value like Kenny King can hopefully slowly be done away with as in the end it matters little now. Focus on truly talented wrestlers and you’ll standout far more than the rest.

The relationship with New Japan matters very little now considering the likelihood of talent coming over for a good while. Plus many signed ROH talents have been used for their power series so I doubt the relationship is in anyway bad.
Montana

Post by Montana »

BurningHammer wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:22 am Many of your questions are already being asked as Delirious has been in charge of all these tapings and it’s delivered overall.

We can only hope the Pure title tournament and the reaction it’s had has given Delirious and much better idea of where to take the product in general.

I would think more people sign with ROH than at any other time as they have shown great commitment to their wrestlers and in handling this situation very well. With no fans there is far less pressure of trying to sign names like PCO who create that attraction draw, and name value like Kenny King can hopefully slowly be done away with as in the end it matters little now. Focus on truly talented wrestlers and you’ll standout far more than the rest.

The relationship with New Japan matters very little now considering the likelihood of talent coming over for a good while. Plus many signed ROH talents have been used for their power series so I doubt the relationship is in anyway bad.
I'm willing to give delirious some time; but it's say it's far too early to say ROH is back in the right direction with him. I dont love or hate his booking style, but more that it simply got stale. I imagine in 6 months they'll be in that same boat. There could be far worse people though than him. Missing out on Jimmy Jacobs when he was a free agent was a big miss in retrospect.

WIth Marty, all things aside, It seemed like he was giving the company a breathe of fresh air, they had a buzz going; and some momentum heading into COVID. We really didn't get to see what all he had planned, but certainly seemed like it was going in the right direction.

Now with the Pure tournament there is some positive buzz... but think Marty's creativity and vision will be missed, IF he is truly gone. At this point i would say this is doubtful, but maybe he's hanging up his wrestling boots for a while. I imagine if he is let go; he will find employment in another one of the major companies shortly after release.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Who can they bring in to help the creative team since i think it was early this year fightful reported roh was looking to build up their staff in all areas of the company
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I think Chris Hero would be a great creative mind.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:56 am
BurningHammer wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:22 am Many of your questions are already being asked as Delirious has been in charge of all these tapings and it’s delivered overall.

I'm willing to give delirious some time; but it's say it's far too early to say ROH is back in the right direction with him. I dont love or hate his booking style, but more that it simply got stale. I imagine in 6 months they'll be in that same boat. There could be far worse people though than him. Missing out on Jimmy Jacobs when he was a free agent was a big miss in retrospect.

WIth Marty, all things aside, It seemed like he was giving the company a breathe of fresh air, they had a buzz going; and some momentum heading into COVID. We really didn't get to see what all he had planned, but certainly seemed like it was going in the right direction.

Now with the Pure tournament there is some positive buzz... but think Marty's creativity and vision will be missed, IF he is truly gone. At this point i would say this is doubtful, but maybe he's hanging up his wrestling boots for a while. I imagine if he is let go; he will find employment in another one of the major companies shortly after release.
Apart from continuity Jacobs and I would guess character development, he hasn’t really shown he is anything to write home about as a Booker. I look at Impact and see nothing that I want in ROH. Delirious’ issues as a booker are eases fixes in general especially more so without house shows. Overall ROH’s issues have been talent and the ones that focus on.

If everyone is sensible Marty isn’t going to be used by anyone bar maybe WWE and considering how open Marty’s history is now I can’t see it happening. He should be done in wrestling really.

On possible people to help out, it really depends there we could be a ton of interesting ideas and ability in the lockeroom. I have no idea if many of the personalities in it are how they would be with their mentality to wrestling.

Hero would certainly be one, maybe Rocky, Lance Storm is another, depending on how his history is with ROH Truth could be one. Overall there is a real lack of anyone that stands as someone that could possibly be a good Booker. Greshams women’s division will be an interesting test of him to see what he can do, if he has total control.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

It's been pointed out in recent articles that Dan Maff is also no longer on the roster page. In checking today, i noticed Ryan Nova and Shaheem Ali aren't listed either. Oddly, LSG is back on the roster page. I could have it mixed up, but I thought Ali was still with the company and LSG was the one that left when C2C split up.
Montana

Post by Montana »

BurningHammer wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:29 pm
Montana wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:56 am

Apart from continuity Jacobs and I would guess character development, he hasn’t really shown he is anything to write home about as a Booker. I look at Impact and see nothing that I want in ROH. Delirious’ issues as a booker are eases fixes in general especially more so without house shows. Overall ROH’s issues have been talent and the ones that focus on.

If everyone is sensible Marty isn’t going to be used by anyone bar maybe WWE and considering how open Marty’s history is now I can’t see it happening. He should be done in wrestling really.

On possible people to help out, it really depends there we could be a ton of interesting ideas and ability in the lockeroom. I have no idea if many of the personalities in it are how they would be with their mentality to wrestling.

Hero would certainly be one, maybe Rocky, Lance Storm is another, depending on how his history is with ROH Truth could be one. Overall there is a real lack of anyone that stands as someone that could possibly be a good Booker. Greshams women’s division will be an interesting test of him to see what he can do, if he has total control.
While i agree with Jacobs, he's always been a pretty creative guy; especially his ROH career. Could only help the company creatively. He's never had the book so to speak, so it's unknown how he would actually do. Jacobs recently said on a podcast, that at Impact they are basically trying a lot of different things; and seeing what works/doesn't. IE: Mixed wrestling, Womens world champ, (didn't mention it, but i assume wrestle house)

Hero, Rocky and Storm would be good candidates. It's interesting on which wrestlers like, and grasp that creative side; where as other like the athletic in ring side of it.

Hopefully it all works out. ROH is on an uphill path to regain some market share of the wrestling fans. It's not going to be easy, but not impossible.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

monster mafia wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:41 am i was really looking forward for the villain era in the booking of roh...such a shame
Same here.