Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Montana »

They just announced on their new weekly YouTube series that Flip Gordon has resigned with ROH. That’s a pretty big deal.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:35 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:42 am The MSG event was a complete disaster from an ROH point of view and honestly should be forgotten about very quickly. It shouldn't be promoted as this great accomplishment as in the end it put ROH in the downward spiral that they found themselves in 2019. It could have gone very differently with just a few minor tweaks and changes but ROH should live with what they have done and now continue making the changes to the product they have.
10000000% agree.
BurningHammer wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:42 amOn the current product, how ROH is using Youtube (especially), and the continuing development of content they are providing, especially with the likes of the Flip Gordon doc, and the new 'day by day' with Quinn which would act as a great conduit for storylines, interviews etc when they can get back. The addition of the Podcast, has been a really welcomed addition and again can be put to good use for storylines and personality exploration while overall connecting the audience to the wrestlers more so than they have before. I also want to make a special mention of Brian Zayne who I think is a really welcomed staff member and again I have enjoyed his interviews. His latest with Maff was great, to see how emotional Maff became while he remembered the moment he experienced the night he signed was really significant to me and I think really showed how close these men and women are with each other.
The ROH podcast is really bad IMO. It's so generic and feels formulaic with a host with no clue of company history without it printed on paper.
The ROH podcast is not a nostalgia podcast though. It doesn’t matter if he has no clue about the company history. They can listen to your podcast for that right?
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

kovs27 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:17 am
Montana wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:41 am
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:23 pm I saw some clips on Twitter from the AEW main event that just concluded; I hope I never see bullshit like that in ROH and NWA. I don’t mind a little bit of “fun”, but makes wrestling look like a complete joke to anyone who isn’t a fan.
AEW runs dangerously close to the "too much fun" and not serious enough. To me, the worst was like Orange Cassidy in the Battle Royal. We are supposed to believe that he's think he can reach the belt 15 ft up by lifting his arms. I like some Cassidy... but i prefer him as a manager opposed to a wrestler. Guess if he sell merch, who cares though.

I thought the stadium match was great. Was it silly, very much so... but it felt like how a true "gang war" should feel like. Numerous great spots. I was laughing every few minutes. I think WWE & AEW are doing cinematic stuff like this because they don't have crowds now. To be honest... this is what AEW is great at. They don't have a strong roster of technical wrestlers. They have high flying, great tag teams, and entertainment.

I enjoy a good technical match, but i prefer variety. I like when shows have a mix of technical, strong style, hardcore, high flying, singles, tag, I do prefer ROH's formula with maybe 10% silly fun.
I have had such a hard time getting interested in AEW and that Stadium match is part of it. I would have preferred a real brawl rather then 40 minutes of comedy. I wouldn't have been bothered by a little bit of comedy mixed in to a serious fight, like the ladder match but that was too much for my taste.

On Orange Cassidy, he works best doing his gimmick for the first few minutes of the match and then turning it on and showing that his is a great wrestler.

I didn't mind the ladder match. It was entertaining. I like the Cage/Taz pairing, especially if it gets Taz off commentary. MJF and Jungle Boy had a nice match. My interest kind of drifted off after that until the Stadium match.
I only passingly watch AEW here and there. Maybe an episode of Dark, but I do not get TNT. I like some of the stuff I’ve seen, but like you, I do not like watching 30 minute “fake” matches.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:35 pm The ROH podcast is really bad IMO. It's so generic and feels formulaic with a host with no clue of company history without it printed on paper.

The only episode that I could consider bad would be the one with Jeff Cobb, as there seemed to very little chemistry from either side, Overall could Eck delve more into answers and allow the conversation to flow more natural, yes, certainly but when you have time restrictions with adds etc you had to find a balance somewhere. Unless he is doing a retrospective on the company his pinpoint knowledge about the company isn't entirely necessary, if he can research and then ask the right questions when its warranted there isn't any reason to complain about his knowledge or not.
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:35 pmI think Delirious knew what worked but couldn't execute it or find a way to see his vision to fruition.

He executed it with a lot of poor decisions and a certain amount of redundant, cliched tropes that needed doing away with a long time ago, he allowed certain wrestlers a cart blanche when they needed reigning in and turned ROH into a complete waste for a lot of talent. Signed and promoted multiple wrestlers that should never had been in ROH for a long time.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Just on Flip, I'm surprised at that one as I feel his personality and general ability is more suited to AEW than anywhere else, that said if he can find the bravery, and comfortable idea of pushing his body again while not being pre-occupied with the injured he suffered, then forgotten everything Cody taught about what he should be doing to be a top guy he could really have a chance.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:06 am
Montana wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:41 am

AEW runs dangerously close to the "too much fun" and not serious enough. To me, the worst was like Orange Cassidy in the Battle Royal. We are supposed to believe that he's think he can reach the belt 15 ft up by lifting his arms. I like some Cassidy... but i prefer him as a manager opposed to a wrestler. Guess if he sell merch, who cares though.

I thought the stadium match was great. Was it silly, very much so... but it felt like how a true "gang war" should feel like. Numerous great spots. I was laughing every few minutes. I think WWE & AEW are doing cinematic stuff like this because they don't have crowds now. To be honest... this is what AEW is great at. They don't have a strong roster of technical wrestlers. They have high flying, great tag teams, and entertainment.

I enjoy a good technical match, but i prefer variety. I like when shows have a mix of technical, strong style, hardcore, high flying, singles, tag, I do prefer ROH's formula with maybe 10% silly fun.
I have had such a hard time getting interested in AEW and that Stadium match is part of it. I would have preferred a real brawl rather then 40 minutes of comedy. I wouldn't have been bothered by a little bit of comedy mixed in to a serious fight, like the ladder match but that was too much for my taste.

On Orange Cassidy, he works best doing his gimmick for the first few minutes of the match and then turning it on and showing that his is a great wrestler.

I didn't mind the ladder match. It was entertaining. I like the Cage/Taz pairing, especially if it gets Taz off commentary. MJF and Jungle Boy had a nice match. My interest kind of drifted off after that until the Stadium match.
I only passingly watch AEW here and there. Maybe an episode of Dark, but I do not get TNT. I like some of the stuff I’ve seen, but like you, I do not like watching 30 minute “fake” matches.

Well if you're going to use the word fake, in regard to wrestling, I'd like to break kayfabe and let you know ROH isn't real either.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:03 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:35 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:42 am The MSG event was a complete disaster from an ROH point of view and honestly should be forgotten about very quickly. It shouldn't be promoted as this great accomplishment as in the end it put ROH in the downward spiral that they found themselves in 2019. It could have gone very differently with just a few minor tweaks and changes but ROH should live with what they have done and now continue making the changes to the product they have.
10000000% agree.
BurningHammer wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:42 amOn the current product, how ROH is using Youtube (especially), and the continuing development of content they are providing, especially with the likes of the Flip Gordon doc, and the new 'day by day' with Quinn which would act as a great conduit for storylines, interviews etc when they can get back. The addition of the Podcast, has been a really welcomed addition and again can be put to good use for storylines and personality exploration while overall connecting the audience to the wrestlers more so than they have before. I also want to make a special mention of Brian Zayne who I think is a really welcomed staff member and again I have enjoyed his interviews. His latest with Maff was great, to see how emotional Maff became while he remembered the moment he experienced the night he signed was really significant to me and I think really showed how close these men and women are with each other.
The ROH podcast is really bad IMO. It's so generic and feels formulaic with a host with no clue of company history without it printed on paper.
The ROH podcast is not a nostalgia podcast though. It doesn’t matter if he has no clue about the company history. They can listen to your podcast for that right?
You would need to have knowledge of where you were to know where you're going especially with the older talent like Jay Lethal.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

BurningHammer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:50 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:35 pm The ROH podcast is really bad IMO. It's so generic and feels formulaic with a host with no clue of company history without it printed on paper.

The only episode that I could consider bad would be the one with Jeff Cobb, as there seemed to very little chemistry from either side, Overall could Eck delve more into answers and allow the conversation to flow more natural, yes, certainly but when you have time restrictions with adds etc you had to find a balance somewhere. Unless he is doing a retrospective on the company his pinpoint knowledge about the company isn't entirely necessary, if he can research and then ask the right questions when its warranted there isn't any reason to complain about his knowledge or not.
It just shouldn't feel like he's reading.
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:35 pmI think Delirious knew what worked but couldn't execute it or find a way to see his vision to fruition.

BurningHammer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:50 pmHe executed it with a lot of poor decisions and a certain amount of redundant, cliched tropes that needed doing away with a long time ago, he allowed certain wrestlers a cart blanche when they needed reigning in and turned ROH into a complete waste for a lot of talent. Signed and promoted multiple wrestlers that should never had been in ROH for a long time.
I think he played to weaknesses as opposed to strengths so I'd say the guys that could work out their own stuff should have been left alone. Instead Delirious appeared overreact and over correct.
Captain Podcast
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:17 pm

Well if you're going to use the word fake, in regard to wrestling, I'd like to break kayfabe and let you know ROH isn't real either.
Well obviously. The last time I watched ROH, I didn’t see the Briscoes “drowning” PCO multiple times and him changing outfits as a Quebecer or Amazing French Canadian. It’s lame AF when I saw Omega do a “move” from a video game and have his opponents fall to the mat like they got hit with something. That’s trash. 99% of adult wrestling fans know it’s “fake”, but it doesn’t have to be ridiculous.
AnHonorableMention

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:10 pm

Well obviously. The last time I watched ROH, I didn’t see the Briscoes “drowning” PCO multiple times and him changing outfits as a Quebecer or Amazing French Canadian. It’s lame AF when I saw Omega do a “move” from a video game and have his opponents fall to the mat like they got hit with something. That’s trash. 99% of adult wrestling fans know it’s “fake”, but it doesn’t have to be ridiculous.
Did you not see FInal Battle with Rush and PCO?
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:25 pm

Yea....everyone shit on it.
AnHonorableMention

Cool, I'm gonna go watch PCO get electrocuted before he wins the ROH belt again. LOL
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:40 am

Exactly, because it doesn't fit the ROH style product. The Stadium Stampede fits American DDT/FMW which is what AEW is intended to be.
Captain Podcast
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:24 pm It just shouldn't feel like he's reading.
I don't really think it feels like it's reading at all just that he has set out a series of questions that he wants to meet, there is nothing wrong with that. It's the ROH's first venture into this arena I'm sure once they feel comfortable doing it they will explore the format more. Right now it's and enjoyable listen.

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:24 pmI think he played to weaknesses as opposed to strengths so I'd say the guys that could work out their own stuff should have been left alone. Instead Delirious appeared overreact and over correct.

Depends, when left to their own devices they were bringing in business bears and all other sorts of nonsense.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:16 pmExactly, because it doesn't fit the ROH style product. The Stadium Stampede fits American DDT/FMW which is what AEW is intended to be.

So hang on this company, that expressed to changing the world of wrestling, of being this all inclusive, white knight wrestling company for the people did so by being DDT/FMW, sorry I can't by that, really they are WWF/WCW early to mid 2000's, with a hint of WCW in the 90's hyped up on steroids. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, but at least own up to it. It's hilarious to see people go wrestling shouldn't be laughed at and you see Tom siguerra was lambasted for tacking the piss out of us as group, then you've got people cheering along at two young stars ridding a horse and running away from one. It just shows us that as a group we are fickle bunch that will just say a lot of shit to look like something else.

If this is what wrestling is going to be in the long term, I'll be checking out of it because I shouldn't be laughing more than other emotion that I am investing.

If ROH can upgrade certain elements of their product and keep looking at personalities that they are, while driving the idea of wrestling as their key element I'll prefer them over anything the US is producing at the moment.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

I haven’t. I have only seen G1 Supercard and Summer Supercard from 2019 in full. Seen some matches here and there, but I haven’t watched FB2019 yet. If what you said in the other posts happened, then that sucks too.
Montana

Post by Montana »

A few thoughts....

Not that i listen to many podcast, but it ain't that bad. Gives you a nice look into some of the wrestlers real personalities outside of the ring. In terms of not liking the host.... he does fine. Better than no podcast.

If ROH can upgrade certain elements of their product and keep looking at personalities that they are, while driving the idea of wrestling as their key element I'll prefer them over anything the US is producing at the moment.
I agree... i think the more mainstream a wrestling company will be, the more "entertainment" they'll add to it. This is where ROH toes the line... because they more often than not, stick to the in ring product, meanwhile, having enough entertainment to be ready if needed for a mainstream product. As it looks now, plenty of "entertainment" wrestling out there between WWE/AEW/IMpact, and ROH needs to set itself part. I'm perfectly OK with the current ratio of wrestling to entertainment.

As far as PCO and Final Battle goes..... Was it a little cheesy.... yes..... was it a fun brawl.... Yes... I get this is what the ROH wrestling purist dislike. Personally i look at it, like the glass is half full. To be fair....PCO was doing this stuff before ROH, and arguably part of what made him popular. It's not like he's going out there every show doing it. I imagine it would have looked better, had everything worked properly too. Think the other issue people had with it, was him beating RUSH for the belt. It was a "jerry Lynn" like moment, for sure. But think most people thought, RUSH should have been the champ after Final Battle. I try not to get too worked up about wins/losses..... but i thought Rush should have won. Plus it's not like it was 40 minutes of comedy. It was about 1-2 minutes of a "entertainment" .
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:19 pm A few thoughts....

Not that i listen to many podcast, but it ain't that bad. Gives you a nice look into some of the wrestlers real personalities outside of the ring. In terms of not liking the host....he does fine. Better than no podcast.

The latest episode with Dalton and Hendry is a lot of fun and If you cant enjoy that well you know.
Montana wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:19 pmI agree... i think the more mainstream a wrestling company will be, the more "entertainment" they'll add to it. This is where ROH toes the line... because they more often than not, stick to the in ring product, meanwhile, having enough entertainment to be ready if needed for a mainstream product. As it looks now, plenty of "entertainment" wrestling out there between WWE/AEW/IMpact, and ROH needs to set itself part. I'm perfectly OK with the current ratio of wrestling to entertainment.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Thu May 28, 2020 4:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:19 pm A few thoughts....

Not that i listen to many podcast, but it ain't that bad. Gives you a nice look into some of the wrestlers real personalities outside of the ring. In terms of not liking the host.... he does fine. Better than no podcast.

The latest episode with Dalton and Hendry is a lot of fun and If you cant enjoy that well you know.

Montana wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:19 pm I agree... i think the more mainstream a wrestling company will be, the more "entertainment" they'll add to it. This is where ROH toes the line... because they more often than not, stick to the in ring product, meanwhile, having enough entertainment to be ready if needed for a mainstream product. As it looks now, plenty of "entertainment" wrestling out there between WWE/AEW/IMpact, and ROH needs to set itself part. I'm perfectly OK with the current ratio of wrestling to entertainment.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:16 pm
Shanahan wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:40 am

Exactly, because it doesn't fit the ROH style product. The Stadium Stampede fits American DDT/FMW which is what AEW is intended to be.
This is news to me and everyone i know. At no time has AEW been described as "wacky..goofy....off the wall league...think American version of DDT". It was marketed as a real "wrestling" company where in ring performance coupled with coherent storylines would set it apart from the badly booked silliness of WWE. It's now turning into a comedy show that i'm losing internet in.