Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Montana »

I guess the Gibson thing will always be an interesting, "what if" he stuck around for his championship run.

In the WCW thread, i was just saying how i was pissed at Hall/Nash selling out and going to WCW. A bit different, as i'm sure WWF made them fair offers, but clearly WCW was paying more. I'm sure they did it for their families too, and for 2 years or so, it was the right move so to speak, considering how they were used. I still don't like them jumping ship, but guess everything worked out.

As for Taven, i think you can certainly make an argument for him winning at MSG. Positives of Taven winning:
1) Storyline perspective, feuding with Lethal, "real" world champ, etc
2) What if Taven didn't win... he kinda gets shuffled back into the mix (like Kenny King) ... Marty had Villian Enterprises as a major angle.
3) Loyalty
4) True heel, that does his job well.
5) Building up a new main event player, Marty didn't need the belt to be over. So kind of long term value, over short term success.

Not saying i would have picked Taven to win, but i think there is enough to say it's not completely illogical choice. I applaud ROH for making a ballsy decision. Maybe Marty getting the booking job, more valuable than winning the ROH championship. Either way, i think i'm actually excited for Taven to return, which is something i've never thought i'd say.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Notes from the first episode of the ROHStrong podcast with first guest, booker "The Villain" Marty Scurll

*This period is currently the longest in-ring and travelling Marty has had off in almost ten years outside of an injury in 2014, but he's still doing office work as ROH booker

*Marty felt like the 18th Anniversary and Past vs. Present shows were going to be his "real first shows" as booker and he was really disappointed they were cancelled but he totally understood it wasn't worth risking anybodies health

*ROH taped several empty arena matches while in Vegas with the talent they had

*Marty felt loyalty to ROH for giving him chances when others wouldn't and he couldn't turn up the opportunity to be booker. Says everyone expected him to go to AEW but he wanted to do something different. "I could just be a wrestler in AEW or I could take something like ROH and make it my vision and take it to the next level."

*Marty says being booker is a 24/7 job, that he's wearing lots of different hats and is "essentially running a wrestling company", thanks Joe Koff for the opportunity and was super excited for what he had planned. Says his real vision was going to start in April/May

*"The goal is to not have anymore "B" shows and to really live up to the tagline "best wrestling on the planet"."

*Marty says he wasn't disappointed he didn't win the World title at MSG but he understands why fans were upset. Was happy for Matt Taven and thinks he still has potential to do more in ROH. "They [fans] didn't get it then but maybe they'll get it later."

*Says ROH made mistakes last year but their aware they did, they looked at what they were doing and they made changes

*Marty says that there are lots of changes coming, presentation ["more sports feel"], Pure title coming back, Women's title being relaunched, new talents coming in ["some of the best wrestlers out there are coming in, I want to have the best
matches because that's what ROH is known for."], says he's excited for what happens once they come back

*Marty says that there wasn't an issue between ROH and New Japan which was a misconception. Says one of the first things he did was speak with NJPW and wants to make the working relationship between the promotions stronger

*"I truly believe had we run Supercard of Honor it would have blown anything else that weekend out of the water."

*Marty does think that ROH and AEW can work together and that both parties are willing to work together. Says it's about timing and if it benefits both companies

*Marty says there'll be a renewed emphasis on the women's division and he was excited for the tournament. Says once shows can run again Quest for the Gold and the Pure title will be decided

*Marty says another goal of his is to make all of the titles on the same level. "I don't see why any of the titles can't be in the main event. They should all be as important as each other."

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/ ... rohstrong/
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Montana wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:04 am I guess the Gibson thing will always be an interesting, "what if" he stuck around for his championship run.

In the WCW thread, i was just saying how i was pissed at Hall/Nash selling out and going to WCW. A bit different, as i'm sure WWF made them fair offers, but clearly WCW was paying more. I'm sure they did it for their families too, and for 2 years or so, it was the right move so to speak, considering how they were used. I still don't like them jumping ship, but guess everything worked out.

As for Taven, i think you can certainly make an argument for him winning at MSG. Positives of Taven winning:
2) What if Taven didn't win... he kinda gets shuffled back into the mix (like Kenny King) ... Marty had Villian Enterprises as a major angle.
3) Loyalty
5) Building up a new main event player, Marty didn't need the belt to be over. So kind of long term value, over short term success.

Not saying i would have picked Taven to win, but i think there is enough to say it's not completely illogical choice. I applaud ROH for making a ballsy decision. Maybe Marty getting the booking job, more valuable than winning the ROH championship. Either way, i think i'm actually excited for Taven to return, which is something i've never thought i'd say.
Couple things, it's not selling out, WWE had no guaranteed money, WCW did. Essentially what they did was ask Vince to match and they would have stayed.

With Taven, you don't do that switch in that moment with that audience for that guy. You end on a high note. The fact Joe Koff and Greg tried to get NJPW to let them finish the night with that moment is borderline malpractice. Matt Taven was on the wall of shame(aka won't be booked, ever) for years until Delirious took over. Even then, he didn't want to book him. I like Matt but he's not a centerpiece talent. His best role was as a tag guy with Bennett. If he was a true heel, he wouldn't have that weird set of ladies with the purple shirts and such. Weird, weird, situation. You end that show with Marty as champ, you set up so many more things for the year and give fans a reason to come to the shows to celebrate as opposed to booing. Keep in mind Taven was paid a ridiculous amount of money to stay with no added responsibilities. He out carnied, the carnies, so kudos to him.

Last point, you mentioned something worth discussing not just central to Taven. But does the belt make the wrestler or the wrestler make the belt. Right now the ROH Title has gone through Dalton Castle, Taven, PCO, and Rush 2x along with Jay Lethal over the last couple years. It hardly holds the prestige it used to have. Marty would have raised the status of the belt, and made a Rush win that much more meaningful. It's not about who has the belt during the run, but who'll have it next. Marty would have been the superior chain link to Rush.
Captain Podcast
roacheyyy

Post by roacheyyy »

Interesting to see who the next chain link after Rush will be. I like Cobb a lot but his contract status makes that a bit difficult. Marty is in a tough position to give himself the belt but he'd be another I'd really love to see with the belt. Haskins could have a solid run too, but Dragon Lee and Bandido are the two that could really bring eyes back to the product for mine. Both exceptional and so young with really bright futures
AnHonorableMention

roacheyyy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:38 pm Interesting to see who the next chain link after Rush will be. I like Cobb a lot but his contract status makes that a bit difficult. Marty is in a tough position to give himself the belt but he'd be another I'd really love to see with the belt. Haskins could have a solid run too, but Dragon Lee and Bandido are the two that could really bring eyes back to the product for mine. Both exceptional and so young with really bright futures
If I was booking, I'd get Cobb signed if he were interested. I'd make him the next, and he'd go on a year long path of rage until he gets to Rush. He's not signing, so moving on I think Bandido is the guy. Get him out of the tag division, and start giving him wins over EVERYONE.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:58 pm
Montana wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:04 am I guess the Gibson thing will always be an interesting, "what if" he stuck around for his championship run.

3) Loyalty

Couple things, it's not selling out, WWE had no guaranteed money, WCW did. Essentially what they did was ask Vince to match and they would have stayed.

With Taven, you don't do that switch in that moment with that audience for that guy. You end on a high note. The fact Joe Koff and Greg tried to get NJPW to let them finish the night with that moment is borderline malpractice. Matt Taven was on the wall of shame(aka won't be booked, ever) for years until Delirious took over. Even then, he didn't want to book him. I like Matt but he's not a centerpiece talent. His best role was as a tag guy with Bennett. If he was a true heel, he wouldn't have that weird set of ladies with the purple shirts and such. Weird, weird, situation. You end that show with Marty as champ, you set up so many more things for the year and give fans a reason to come to the shows to celebrate as opposed to booing. Keep in mind Taven was paid a ridiculous amount of money to stay with no added responsibilities. He out carnied, the carnies, so kudos to him.

Last point, you mentioned something worth discussing not just central to Taven. But does the belt make the wrestler or the wrestler make the belt. Right now the ROH Title has gone through Dalton Castle, Taven, PCO, and Rush 2x along with Jay Lethal over the last couple years. It hardly holds the prestige it used to have. Marty would have raised the status of the belt, and made a Rush win that much more meaningful. It's not about who has the belt during the run, but who'll have it next. Marty would have been the superior chain link to Rush.
Agree on the high note with MSG. That's why it was such a ballsy call. As for Taven, i think had a great 2019, and think when a majority of fans think of Taven they think 2013-15 version. Or 15-17 Taven. He undoubtedly stepped his game up in 2019. Was he put in that role/position to have great matches? Yes. At the end of the day Taven had a decent run, with the biggest downside, was the attendance drop off, which would have happen with Taven or Marty as champ in my opinion.

In terms of the belt making the champ or the other way around, i think ideally you want both. Looking back at Morishima, guy came in as a main eventer. The belt made him, and ROH was able to capitalize on his reign by having Nigel finally win the belt. Ideally you establish the belt and meaning something, then you can give it to a Morishima, and make it work. You can't do too many of these insignificant reigns, or else it hurts the value. I agree the ROH belt has lost some prestigious, but still a very important belt. Arguably the most important championship of the last 20 years.

In terms of Castle/Taven/PCO/Rush holding the title... maybe it's perspective, but like the WWE/ universal titles don't mean much of anything anymore either. So i think you could argue guys like Cody in 2017 and Lethal in 2018 were some of the best world champs in the US. Now for 2019, it's a rebuilding year. I was OK with Taven, think they needed to get the belt to Rush. The only one i question would be the PCO win at Final Battle. To me, it felt like they needed a big moment, to get some attention back on ROH. Marty even eluded to it, in not as many words and not as direct. Now the belt is back on Rush to elevate it again.

In terms of what's next... I think Marty will try and push Flip Gordon into a title contender for sure. He already booked Rush vs Flip at SOH... and think that's a feud that could go on a few months, with maybe FLip beating Rush, and staying with ROH. Plus the whole VE vs LIJ Again, that's what i think, the direction they want to go. What i would do.... i really like both Cobb and Bandido... but hmm. There's 3 guys i'd consider dethroning Rush. (Dragon Lee, Jonathan Gresham, Marty) I'd book Rush strong getting wins against, Flip, Marty , Gresham and see the reactions these title matches get. IF Flip/Marty/Gresham are red hot, I'd have one of them win in a rematch. IF not, i have Rush vs. Dragon Lee ....where Lee wins a title shot. Rush doesn't take him as serious and losses the belt.
Also my booking style would be more on the safe side with wrestlers under contract, similar to what ROH has been doing. IF Cobb was signed i'd for sure consider him beating Rush. I like the idea of Bandido as champ, but idk if i would go from Rush to Bandido. If bandido wins it, i feel like him beating heel Taven Circa 2019 would have been better than Rush 2020. Part of me, wants Bandido to get a strong babyface rub by winning and i don't know if he'd fully get it from Rush.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:58 pm Agree on the high note with MSG. That's why it was such a ballsy call. As for Taven, i think had a great 2019, and think when a majority of fans think of Taven they think 2013-15 version. Or 15-17 Taven. He undoubtedly stepped his game up in 2019. Was he put in that role/position to have great matches? Yes. At the end of the day Taven had a decent run, with the biggest downside, was the attendance drop off, which would have happen with Taven or Marty as champ in my opinion.
There is a difference between upping your performance because you're champion and having great matches all the time. Matt Taven needed so much more of a resume' before winning the belt. If you had meant his title win, journey/conspiracy meant a face turn, I could buy into that a bit. How it was executed is one of the worst booking choices in company history. Delirious should have been fired before the building was cleared for his ideas that night. I don't think you lose that much of your audience if you still have an Elite guy on top. People wanted to celebrate ROH and celebrate Marty, not boo Taven, they clearly did not care enough to buy tickets.
Montana wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:58 pmIn terms of the belt making the champ or the other way around, i think ideally you want both. Looking back at Morishima, guy came in as a main eventer. The belt made him, and ROH was able to capitalize on his reign by having Nigel finally win the belt. Ideally you establish the belt and meaning something, then you can give it to a Morishima, and make it work. You can't do too many of these insignificant reigns, or else it hurts the value. I agree the ROH belt has lost some prestigious, but still a very important belt. Arguably the most important championship of the last 20 years.
Morishima losing to Joe was a mistake but coming out and squashing Homicide made him, it also by proxy made him champion. Morishima, live was the feared foreign monster and the audience were such diehards they played along, myself included. The belt didn't make him and I'd argue his best matches came after he lost the belt. Belts nowadays mean so little because in general most long term promotions have been booked by a bunch of idiots and halfwhits that didn't understand the audience. ROH's title might still mean the most but it's not by intention, more so default.
Montana wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:58 pmIn terms of Castle/Taven/PCO/Rush holding the title... maybe it's perspective, but like the WWE/ universal titles don't mean much of anything anymore either. So i think you could argue guys like Cody in 2017 and Lethal in 2018 were some of the best world champs in the US. Now for 2019, it's a rebuilding year. I was OK with Taven, think they needed to get the belt to Rush. The only one i question would be the PCO win at Final Battle. To me, it felt like they needed a big moment, to get some attention back on ROH. Marty even eluded to it, in not as many words and not as direct. Now the belt is back on Rush to elevate it again
Cody's legacy was his journey to getting the belt and some political things there. I'm biased, because I absolutely adore Cody the person, and Cody the wrestler. It was a nice moment, but his run was more about the chase, same as Daniels vs. the run with the title. Castle, Taven, PCO, all terrible execution, mediocre to bad matches, and nothing but apathy elicited from even the biggest ROH diehards(not these johnny come-latelys, from Honor Club).
Montana wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:58 pmIn terms of what's next... I think Marty will try and push Flip Gordon into a title contender for sure. He already booked Rush vs Flip at SOH... and think that's a feud that could go on a few months, with maybe FLip beating Rush, and staying with ROH. Plus the whole VE vs LIJ Again, that's what i think, the direction they want to go. What i would do.... i really like both Cobb and Bandido... but hmm. There's 3 guys i'd consider dethroning Rush. (Dragon Lee, Jonathan Gresham, Marty) I'd book Rush strong getting wins against, Flip, Marty , Gresham and see the reactions these title matches get. IF Flip/Marty/Gresham are red hot, I'd have one of them win in a rematch. IF not, i have Rush vs. Dragon Lee ....where Lee wins a title shot. Rush doesn't take him as serious and losses the belt.
Flip is definitely gonna get the shove, not sure I see him having the personality to be a top guy or being marketable. Right now, one they are running events, hopefully in July, they can give Rush a proper run for a year or two, and they spend that year or two also marketing someone who is as I said the chain link. It won't be Dragon Lee, because he's got NJPW commitments. Bandido is flashy, he looks the part, he's got a connection to the crowd, and is an ethnic babyface you can market. There's so much that goes into planning stories, characters, and shows, it's a very tough job. As critical as I am of Delirious and the ROH brain trust, I'm hopeful this time off has allowed them to completely reboot creative.

Montana wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:58 pmAlso my booking style would be more on the safe side with wrestlers under contract, similar to what ROH has been doing. IF Cobb was signed i'd for sure consider him beating Rush. I like the idea of Bandido as champ, but idk if i would go from Rush to Bandido. If bandido wins it, i feel like him beating heel Taven Circa 2019 would have been better than Rush 2020. Part of me, wants Bandido to get a strong babyface rub by winning and i don't know if he'd fully get it from Rush.
Well yeah, for a company with this much money I wouldn't use anyone not under contract. Rush when they come back needs to be absolutely vicious and violent. No more tranquillo, no more Rush jr, he needs to come back and be a human plague on hurting people. You make his reign about being violent, or replace tranquillo with violencia. You've got the bad guy to get slayed by a beloved Bandido who needs to be booked right in the mean time.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I have to ask with wwe aew and impact doing empty arena shows do you think roh should wait this pandemic out even if it last until next year or do they do empty arena shows by end of summer
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I've enjoyed IMPACTS empty arena shows, all of it makes me uncomfortable watch. It just isn't worth it.
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

Can ROH at least do small, arguably selected crowds like AEW? Just that little bit helps make Dynamite more fun than WWE.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I’m guessing at the earliest we won’t see ROH return until late July/August, especially with so many talents from so many different countries having there own laws coming in and out regarding coronavirus. Although I would hold off on any anything as there is going to be another heavy spike around the world pretty soon.

If ROH does come back in some fashion in the next couple of months I would look to have it in one location for a long period of time. I certainly wouldn’t tour, make sure it’s a small venue where you can shoot tightly and minimise the need of a crowd shot. I would maybe look to NWA TV as inspiration but less hokey, the best thing would be to try and shoot it outside considering how many are saying this is a vital element in helping the virus not spread and with the summer or hotter months coming upon us that maybe be easier to do. Try and make it live even if it’s just YouTube/Honor club, but with a focus on creative promos in house (literally) with at max three to four people in the promo if you have too, and at the building. Bring in selected talents per live episode each week, so you don’t have around a hundred or so different people milling around and multiple people having numerous days of having to be with possible people who are Infected.

I don’t think having a crowd matters we’ve seen shitty silent crowds in ROH so just pump some sound and in. Also Ian is generally so loud he can create much of the emotion anyway. Then obviously make sure the proper medical protocols are in place everyone needs to be tested in an isolated hotel three or four days prior to the event happening.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Since i don't think we are going to get crowds anytime soon, i don't think it's a great idea to hold off too long without any new content. Personally my gut is telling me, in June they should schedule a private taped show at Baltimore or their training site. Tape about 4 weeks of matches, with wrestlers who choose to appear at their own risk... and do the best testing possible.

I think they can even continue with stuff like different wrestlers/staff hosting best of episodes , in between some taped content.

The hard part will be what they do with the champs, if they cannot travel for extended periods of time. Rush, Dragon Lee, and Mexisquad all hold gold.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

They could probably do shows in Sandy Fork or the Dojo.
AnHonorableMention

I highly doubt they'll run shows before the pandemic is over. They lost so much money last year this pandemic is actually helping them lose less money. No travel costs, visas, hotels, if anything they are doing better financially than I expected this year to turn out(remember no MSG show to help with costs).

I do think they need to be pumping out video content for those who chose to stay loyal to honor club. More old content. Bring back the straight shooting series with your current talent. That can easily be done via any of the zoom/skype type products. Throw up some music videos highlighting your roster for honor club only. They have pre-show matches in the can they can upload, found footage including wild interviews with people like Teddy Hart in the archives. Release the video version of the ROH Strong podcast early to Honor Club. All it takes is effort and some creativity. Remember the Honor Post? Went the way of the dodo bird. They have zero infrastructure to keep up appearances. That's the biggest issue.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:16 pm I highly doubt they'll run shows before the pandemic is over. They lost so much money last year this pandemic is actually helping them lose less money. No travel costs, visas, hotels, if anything they are doing better financially than I expected this year to turn out(remember no MSG show to help with costs).

I do think they need to be pumping out video content for those who chose to stay loyal to honor club. More old content. Bring back the straight shooting series with your current talent. That can easily be done via any of the zoom/skype type products. Throw up some music videos highlighting your roster for honor club only. They have pre-show matches in the can they can upload, found footage including wild interviews with people like Teddy Hart in the archives. Release the video version of the ROH Strong podcast early to Honor Club. All it takes is effort and some creativity. Remember the Honor Post? Went the way of the dodo bird. They have zero infrastructure to keep up appearances. That's the biggest issue.
The pandemic and mass crowds isn't going away this year, and likely won't have a vaccine that tested until mid-late 2021. By that time, most of the ROH roster will no longer be under contract until they renew. I could be wrong, but the sense i get from a few of the wrestlers, is that they want to wrestle. Wouldn't wrestlers rather go to a place where they could actually work, when their contract is up? The other thing being, ROH's popularity dropped in 2019,a dn they were building it back up quickly in 2020... lt's say they take 1.5 years off... they have to regain and kind have to start back over. I'm pretty sure they are paying a handful of wrestlers 6 plus figures , to be on the roster.

I agree in a sense that video packages can help get you through the hump...but it's going to be very hard for ROH to start back up with crowds, after going cold for potentially 1.5 years. THey have to strip all the belts/ new roster. That's a tough call. The other consideration is if Impact is running over the next 1.5 years and ROH is not, gotta think Impact would take over that #3 spot.

I Will give ROH credit, that they are doing a great job with ROH on youtube lately.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:34 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:16 pm I highly doubt they'll run shows before the pandemic is over. They lost so much money last year this pandemic is actually helping them lose less money. No travel costs, visas, hotels, if anything they are doing better financially than I expected this year to turn out(remember no MSG show to help with costs).

The pandemic and mass crowds isn't going away this year, and likely won't have a vaccine that tested until mid-late 2021. By that time, most of the ROH roster will no longer be under contract until they renew. I could be wrong, but the sense i get from a few of the wrestlers, is that they want to wrestle. Wouldn't wrestlers rather go to a place where they could actually work, when their contract is up? The other thing being, ROH's popularity dropped in 2019,a dn they were building it back up quickly in 2020... lt's say they take 1.5 years off... they have to regain and kind have to start back over. I'm pretty sure they are paying a handful of wrestlers 6 plus figures , to be on the roster.

I agree in a sense that video packages can help get you through the hump...but it's going to be very hard for ROH to start back up with crowds, after going cold for potentially 1.5 years. THey have to strip all the belts/ new roster. That's a tough call. The other consideration is if Impact is running over the next 1.5 years and ROH is not, gotta think Impact would take over that #3 spot.

I Will give ROH credit, that they are doing a great job with ROH on youtube lately.
I'm assuming this is where several legal factors come into play. Without being privy to the wording, they may be legally able to freeze the contracts similar to how WWE did. Unfortunately there's a difference between getting into law school, and going(slaps my own forehead).

I'm sure the guys and gals want to wrestle, it's their passion and the commitment to living out their dreams. But they chose to sign with a company that made so many poor decisions in the last four years they can't afford to run empty buildings. I'd actually strip the belts before they come back and rid the ROH universe of several belts, there's no need for a six man belt for example. If the Marty era isn't a facade to cover for the Adam West Batman-Robin relationship between Koff and Delirious, complete blank slate. Quite a few six figure guys on the team now, and several close I'd guess. Marty and fuckin Taven up higher than just low six figures.

The company can't get any colder than it is right now with zero shows. That's why all the content I pitched needs to be given to your customers, be it the paying ones or the television audience.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

I haven't seen ROH's contracts, but considering they are already paying wrestlers for scheduled appearances... I don't think they are bleeding money that bad. Also i think if ROH the company decides to take 18 months and freeze contracts, without paying talent, don't think that will go over well and it's the next Lucha Underground 2.0.

All i know, if i ran the company.... I'd figure out a way to tape content in front of no crowd. Even if it's something completely different than what we are used to. Imo, they could run a Top Prospect Tournament , with like a tough enough type concept. Maybe run a G1 like tournament over all of 2020 with a limited roster, while the belts are frozen. I just think they aren't in a good position to take a break. Now would be a great time to soley focus on the TV product, and Honorclub is "Unlocked" for everyone until they resume live shows.

IF ROH is truly considering an extended break.... they need to come up with a plan leading up to the return. Something like a rebranding / complete overhaul in terms of TV / PPV /HonorClub. Maybe it's even a live prime time show they return with. They really need to market and strategize if that is the route. Agree it's a 18 month break... they don't need a six man, and the TV or Pure championship isn't really needed. I'd hold off on the womens belt too to be honest.

I think you could very well argue that AEW's most successful/popular period was from Jan-fall 2019. The hype leading up to the first show. The mystery and hype of a new company. In my opinion, that was all perfectly done.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:19 am I haven't seen ROH's contracts, but considering they are already paying wrestlers for scheduled appearances... I don't think they are bleeding money that bad. Also i think if ROH the company decides to take 18 months and freeze contracts, without paying talent, don't think that will go over well and it's the next Lucha Underground 2.0.
WWE does it, ROH has more money than WWE without the other overhead. If it goes over bad, that's their bed and they made it. They are paying everyone, from those booked as one or two offs to contracted talent. WWE doing the same. Lucha Underground's deals were worded like acting deals, and that's a whole other animal.
Montana wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:19 amAll i know, if i ran the company.... I'd figure out a way to tape content in front of no crowd. Even if it's something completely different than what we are used to. Imo, they could run a Top Prospect Tournament , with like a tough enough type concept. Maybe run a G1 like tournament over all of 2020 with a limited roster, while the belts are frozen. I just think they aren't in a good position to take a break. Now would be a great time to soley focus on the TV product, and Honorclub is "Unlocked" for everyone until they resume live shows.
I'd actually be working on everything I am going to do coming out of the quarantine. Like what is the mission statement and what are they DAY 1. Who are they and what is the product? That has been slept on during the break. I'd recommend they continue the personality profiles but they don't have the production depth to help with that.
Montana wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:19 amIF ROH is truly considering an extended break.... they need to come up with a plan leading up to the return. Something like a rebranding / complete overhaul in terms of TV / PPV /HonorClub. Maybe it's even a live prime time show they return with. They really need to market and strategize if that is the route. Agree it's a 18 month break... they don't need a six man, and the TV or Pure championship isn't really needed. I'd hold off on the womens belt too to be honest.

I think you could very well argue that AEW's most successful/popular period was from Jan-fall 2019. The hype leading up to the first show. The mystery and hype of a new company. In my opinion, that was all perfectly done.
I won't comment on AEW's best period because I don't put my co-hosts position in jeopardy. But I think they've handled this pandemic better than any other entertainment entity. At this point ROH with the belts is a sober Herb Abrams UWF. It's too much. Women's title, six man belts all useless the last year. Pick one, TV or Pure. Without the depth and the poor booking of the last few years they've demoralized so many talents value. It sucks to see. I wish they would continue to find their pillars and build outward. Maybe that would have come, in 2020. We'll never know.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:19 pm
I'd actually be working on everything I am going to do coming out of the quarantine. Like what is the mission statement and what are they DAY 1. Who are they and what is the product? That has been slept on during the break. I'd recommend they continue the personality profiles but they don't have the production depth to help with that.
Part of the problem with the quarantine, is we dont know exactly when it will end. States are opening back up, but not large crowds. A 6/12/18/24 month break could mean different reboot scenarios. Long story short, i think your plan works well if it's a shorter break, not for 18-24 month break. From what it seemed like what we saw in early 2020.. they've already figured out their mission statement, who and what is the product. It seemed like they were doubling down on "The Best Wrestling on the Planet" Between the moves that they've already done, it seems like they are heading in the right direction. Signing hot mexican talent like Rey Horus, Dragon Lee, signing top Australian top like Slex/Brooks resign Marty and Brody. They realized they probably aren't the undisputed best wrestling on the planet, so improve the roster, to get back there. Freshen up creative. I think ROH took the end of 2019, to set up for a "re-opening" of ROH for 2020 with renewed focus.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:05 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:19 pm
Part of the problem with the quarantine, is we dont know exactly when it will end. States are opening back up, but not large crowds. A 6/12/18/24 month break could mean different reboot scenarios. Long story short, i think your plan works well if it's a shorter break, not for 18-24 month break. From what it seemed like what we saw in early 2020.. they've already figured out their mission statement, who and what is the product. It seemed like they were doubling down on "The Best Wrestling on the Planet" Between the moves that they've already done, it seems like they are heading in the right direction. Signing hot mexican talent like Rey Horus, Dragon Lee, signing top Australian top like Slex/Brooks resign Marty and Brody. They realized they probably aren't the undisputed best wrestling on the planet, so improve the roster, to get back there. Freshen up creative. I think ROH took the end of 2019, to set up for a "re-opening" of ROH for 2020 with renewed focus.
You plan for multiple scenarios. It's that simple. You make sure the day you get the all clear to run, you know who you are and where you're going. "Best wrestling on the planet" is subjective and I don't view them as such and truly have not since Gabe was fired. Absolutely lot of good matches, talents, and shows since but NJPW and PWG have lapped them tenfold in ring. I think AEW's PPV's have also lapped them compared to ROH's big shows. I have not seen enough Slex to judge his work, but Horus doesn't even belong in the same discussion as Dragon Lee. They need to find a unique slant, identity. Maybe change the color schemes, definitely change the entry way. Reborn was a concept used several times in Gabe's era. I'd hope Marty goes to that.
Captain Podcast