Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:40 am
famicommander wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:54 pm So two ROH teams are gonna go take some pins to some 75 year old men. Great.
I really doubt the RnRE will be pinning two teams. Maybe 1, but I seriously doubt both of them will.
They're far from the only geezers in NWA.

Tim Storm is 56 and wasn't good at wrestling at any point in his life (or, at least, there's no video evidence of it)

Scott Steiner is 57 and I hope he retires after that heart scare at the Impact tapings.

CW Anderson is 49 and looked 55 when he was 35

Sandow and Ken Anderson aren't that old, but they are embarrassingly terrible

ROH should just poach the few decent talents and kick NWA to the curb.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Steiner I guess is doing Impact now and hasn’t been mentioned in weeks, like Ken Anderson who didn’t even appear on the last PPV.

Sandow is a great character and is nowhere near being considered an old timer.

CW Anderson is super part-time and isn’t in any major storyline right now.

Tim Storm will be in the Wild Card battle royal to determine the 8th team, so he might get involved in the Crockett tournament, but who knows.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

It's just a bad roster and their show is less than half wrestling. It's the complete opposite of the style of product that ROH should strive to present. Association with it only drags ROH down in every way.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:46 pm It's just a bad roster and their show is less than half wrestling. It's the complete opposite of the style of product that ROH should strive to present. Association with it only drags ROH down in every way.
Trust me, ROH is not being dragged down in anyway by being associated with the NWA. Marty, Flip, the Bouncers, and others have been seen by a different audience. I saw the crowds that ROH had last year when there wasn’t NWA involvement, and that’s on ROH, not anyone else.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:30 pm
famicommander wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:46 pm It's just a bad roster and their show is less than half wrestling. It's the complete opposite of the style of product that ROH should strive to present. Association with it only drags ROH down in every way.
Trust me, ROH is not being dragged down in anyway by being associated with the NWA. Marty, Flip, the Bouncers, and others have been seen by a different audience. I saw the crowds that ROH had last year when there wasn’t NWA involvement, and that’s on ROH, not anyone else.
Of course ROH can't blame NWA for their bad crowds last year. They did that to themselves.

But the worst crowd ROH drew last year was still more people than fit in the entire venue where Powerrr is taped. On their best day the NWA is maybe ninth biggest promotion in the US.
1. WWE (by a lot)
2. AEW (by a lot)
3. NJPW USA
4. ROH
5. Impact
6. MLW
7. CWFH (whom the NWA often leeches airtime from)
8. WOW

There's no upside to associating with NWA except Marty booking his buddies.

The number of people who watch NWA weekly that aren't already aware of ROH has to be extremely minuscule.

The relationship with NJPW makes sense because NJPW is a bigger promotion with a worldwide audience.
The relationship with CMLL makes sense because CMLL is a bigger promotion with a worldwide audience.
The relationship with RevPro make sense because RevPro is the biggest non-WWE affiliated promotion left standing in the UK.

The NWA relationship just associates them with a bad show run by bad people that lives on nostalgia.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'd put ROH at #3 at this point based on what we've seen this year. I'd probably put Impact and MLW ahead of NJPW USA even at this point. I could be wrong, but i thought NJPW-USA was already thinking about cancelling upcoming shows/tours. Either way, it's a early to put NJPW USA over ROH. I could see NJPW over ROH but not their LA Dojo.

I'd put NWA around 7ish. I'd have them over CWFH, and WOW. At least NWA has the chance to grow. CWFH and WOW have hit their ceilings.

As for ROH & NWA relationship.... It's not terrible... Gives a place for some ROH talents to work and vice versa. I agree ROH is like the big brother here.... but NWA has some good talkers. Both respect tradition. Could be worse. Now if we see more of NWA's old roster in ROH , i'd have a problem.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

No way they're over CWFH or WOW. Those promotions are on television. NWA is on Youtube, which doesn't even allow wrestling promotions to monetize their content in the same way that other content creators do. The only reason they'd put the show on Youtube is if nobody would pay them to put it elsewhere (MLW Fusion is on Youtube, but only after it airs on television in seven countries). CWFH is on TV in four countries and airs in the US in two different languages on LATV, which covers nearly 40% of the US by population over the air. That's why NWA buddies up to them.

Fite TV lets them monetize content (as they also do with ROH, MLW, etc) but we have no earthly idea how many people watch that service in general, let alone how many watch each specific show on it.

So NWA's entire revenue is essentially PPV and tickets, and they run most of their shows in a venue that seats fewer than 200 people and their ticket prices are very low. They run extremely few shows, too. Their women's world champion just had to sell off memorabilia online so she could fix her car in time to make her next booking.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Does anyone know the last woman in the tournament is
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:35 pm Does anyone know the last woman in the tournament is
Not yet, still waiting
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:31 pm No way they're over CWFH or WOW. Those promotions are on television. NWA is on Youtube, which doesn't even allow wrestling promotions to monetize their content in the same way that other content creators do. The only reason they'd put the show on Youtube is if nobody would pay them to put it elsewhere (MLW Fusion is on Youtube, but only after it airs on television in seven countries). CWFH is on TV in four countries and airs in the US in two different languages on LATV, which covers nearly 40% of the US by population over the air. That's why NWA buddies up to them.

Fite TV lets them monetize content (as they also do with ROH, MLW, etc) but we have no earthly idea how many people watch that service in general, let alone how many watch each specific show on it.

So NWA's entire revenue is essentially PPV and tickets, and they run most of their shows in a venue that seats fewer than 200 people and their ticket prices are very low. They run extremely few shows, too. Their women's world champion just had to sell off memorabilia online so she could fix her car in time to make her next booking.
it’s pretty obvious you have some sort of bias towards the NWA, and that’s fine, but to say it’s lower than WOW and CWFH is laughable.

You talk crap about NWAs small studio audience, have you ever seen CWFH’s? It’s probably 4 times smaller. What PPVs does CWFH run? How much is their TV deal worth? I would say that being on YouTube puts more eyes on the NWA than the CWFH being on LATV does.

Same questions for WOW. What PPVs are they running and how much is their TV deal worth?

It’s also ludicrous to say that NJPWUSA is above ROH or NWA. It’s only more over to people that love Japanese wrestling and they could never run countless US based shows and PPVs and be successful here. Not unless they’re bringing over their top guys every single time. Like at the G1 supercard.

I’m not even sure I would put MLW over the NWA. Most marginal wrestling fans over 40 probably couldn’t tell you one wrestler there or what MLW stands for.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

No this nwa thing again...
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:55 am
famicommander wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:31 pm No way they're over CWFH or WOW. Those promotions are on television. NWA is on Youtube, which doesn't even allow wrestling promotions to monetize their content in the same way that other content creators do. The only reason they'd put the show on Youtube is if nobody would pay them to put it elsewhere (MLW Fusion is on Youtube, but only after it airs on television in seven countries). CWFH is on TV in four countries and airs in the US in two different languages on LATV, which covers nearly 40% of the US by population over the air. That's why NWA buddies up to them.

it’s pretty obvious you have some sort of bias towards the NWA, and that’s fine, but to say it’s lower than WOW and CWFH is laughable.

You talk crap about NWAs small studio audience, have you ever seen CWFH’s? It’s probably 4 times smaller. What PPVs does CWFH run? How much is their TV deal worth? I would say that being on YouTube puts more eyes on the NWA than the CWFH being on LATV does.

Same questions for WOW. What PPVs are they running and how much is their TV deal worth?

It’s also ludicrous to say that NJPWUSA is above ROH or NWA. It’s only more over to people that love Japanese wrestling and they could never run countless US based shows and PPVs and be successful here. Not unless they’re bringing over their top guys every single time. Like at the G1 supercard.

I’m not even sure I would put MLW over the NWA. Most marginal wrestling fans over 40 probably couldn’t tell you one wrestler there or what MLW stands for.
Eyeballs that don't translate to dollars are meaningless.
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

Fami talks about NWA Power the way [cornette] talks about AEW.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Amy rose shared a picture with the set would have looked like for the cancelled ppv and it looks like roh upgraded the set
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Reaper G wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:12 pm

You'd think the NWA killed his territory or something. Yikes.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:18 pm

Not to beat a dead horse here... but look at NWA's roster compared to CWFH... I don't really even watch NWA but i know they have:

Nick Aldis
Marty
Bouncers
Eddie Kingston
Eli Drake
Damien Sandow
Maybe Mr. Anderson?!?

Who the hell does CWFH have? Does public access TV really matter?

Im terms of the ranking... i'd probably put NWA up there with Evolve in the tier after ROH/Impact/MLW. Evolve is kind of a shell at the moment, and trying to build back up. Their use of NXT talent, has kept them afloat. Their new talent is working hard, and they have good shows. All in all, Evolve is a good show, but needs to figure out how to be relevant, and not just a developmental to the developmental.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Montana wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:27 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:18 pm

Not to beat a dead horse here... but look at NWA's roster compared to CWFH... I don't really even watch NWA but i know they have:

Nick Aldis
Marty
Bouncers
Eddie Kingston
Eli Drake
Damien Sandow
Maybe Mr. Anderson?!?

Who the hell does CWFH have? Does public access TV really matter?

Im terms of the ranking... i'd probably put NWA up there with Evolve in the tier after ROH/Impact/MLW. Evolve is kind of a shell at the moment, and trying to build back up. Their use of NXT talent, has kept them afloat. Their new talent is working hard, and they have good shows. All in all, Evolve is a good show, but needs to figure out how to be relevant, and not just a developmental to the developmental.
Calling Marty and the Bouncers part of the NWA roster is like calling NJPW talent on loan part of the ROH roster. Completely disingenuous.

And again, Youtube doesn't actually make NWA money.

CWFH is on TV all over the country:
https://www.hollywoodwrestling.com/television-schedule/

That doesn't include LATV in both English and Spanish or Fight Network in the UK, Canada, and Ireland.

The fact that CWFH is getting paid to air their product while NWA airs theirs explicitly on the ONLY platform where they can't make money doing it should be enough proof.

Powerrr gets about 200,000 weekly viewers worldwide on a platform that doesn't let them monetize those viewers.

CWFH uses roughly the same TV syndication strategy as ROH, except they're not owned by a massive broadcasting conglomerate. The fact that newer and more TV outlets sign up to do an ad split with CWFH every year tells you that the arrangement is successful for both the TV partners and CWFH itself.
Montana

Post by Montana »

just give up... It's a local promotion that has a syndication TV deal that does like one tv taping every 4-5 weeks. Your entitled to your opinion, myself and a few others disagree with it. It's OK. CWFH been around for at least a decade and only have 4K Youtube subscribers. Where has NWA has been around a few months and have almost 200K. I get YT isn't everything, but that's pretty telling in my opinion on their relevance. I get NWA doesn't make money off the deal, but they are a new company, and building a fanbase. CWFH has hit their ceiling. This is why we are in disagreement.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Success is gauged by dollars. NWA doesn't make any of those. Simple.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:15 am Success is gauged by dollars. NWA doesn't make any of those. Simple.
Please list any articles that indicate CWFH is a profitable organization and how much they have made.