Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
kovs27

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by kovs27 »

I enjoyed Aldis/ Cody 2 far more than the original. The Starks match was good, I didn't think it was anything special but certainly not bad.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Aldis is awful and so is Starks.
Trevorofhonor24

Post by Trevorofhonor24 »

I really hope roh has no involvement In this show at all. Let wrestle dynasty be new japan only. If roh wants a part of the weekend, run Hammerstein on Friday night. Let new japan stand on their own.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Per @therealfredo on Twitter:

"Flip Gordon will be at CMLL's Homenaje a Dos Leyendas on 3/20."

https://twitter.com/therealfredo/status ... 6036626432
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Teddy Hart in jail again.

Thank god ROH didn't book that idiot again.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

famicommander wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:56 pm Teddy Hart in jail again.

Thank god ROH didn't book that idiot again.
Yeah that Teddy Annis is a real piece of shit.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I wonder if roh will offer a huge money contract to stay because everyone is reporting he not sign with aew
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Dan Maff seemed to indicate in his rohwrestling.com interview that he's not wrestled in Canada, Mexico, or Japan. He said those three places are on his bucket list. Pretty amazing for a guy that has been around so long.

Hopefully he accomplishes the feat this year.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Ecks Files:

Flamita and “The Maneater” Maria Manic were both injured at Free Enterprise this past Sunday in Baltimore.

Flamita suffered a torn meniscus during the show-stealing tag match that pitted him and Bandido against the Briscoes. He will not be able to compete at Bound By Honor in Nashville, Tenn., on Feb. 28 or Gateway To Honor in St. Louis on Feb. 29.

Manic suffered a neck injury when she was powerbombed through the announce table by Bully Ray during the 20-person battle royal. She is out of action indefinitely.

MexaBlood (Flamita and Bandido) were scheduled to compete in a four-way tag match with Dalton Castle and Joe Hendry, Mark Haskins and Tracy Williams, and Righteous (Vincent and Bateman) in Nashville.

In light of Flamita’s injury, PJ Black and Brian Johnson will replace MexaBlood in the bout. Bandido has been added to the match between Marty Scurll and Slex in Nashville, so that will now be a Triple Threat.

In St. Louis, MexiSquad (Flamita, Bandido and Rey Horus) were scheduled to defend the ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Title, but now Bandido and Horus will face Jay Lethal and Jonathan Gresham in a traditional tag match. If Lethal and Gresham retain the ROH World Tag Team Title against 2 Guys 1 Tag (Silas Young and Josh Woods) the night before in Nashville, this will be a Proving Ground Match.

Speaking of injuries, fortunately Matt Taven suffered no further damage to his ankle from the beating he took at the hands of Righteous in Baltimore on Sunday.

Taven, who is recovering from ankle surgery, was signing autographs and taking pictures with fans in the lobby at UMBC Event Center prior to the start of Free Enterprise when he was ambushed by Vincent, Chuckles and Vita Von Starr (Bateman was too busy shooting the incident on his phone to participate in the attack).

Australian star Adam Brooks, who recently signed with ROH, will make his debut at 18th Anniversary in Las Vegas on March 13. Stay tuned for an announcement regarding who his opponent will be.

There also will be a big ROH World Tag Team Title Match at Anniversary. The challengers will be announced this Monday on ROHWrestling.com and ROH’s social media channels.

Sumie Sakai has been announced as the first competitor in the upcoming 16-woman tournament to crown the inaugural ROH Women’s World Champion. Sakai was the first and longest-reigning holder of the old Women of Honor Title.

The tournament begins with eight first-round matches at Quest for Gold in Philadelphia on April 24. Tickets for the event go on sale Wednesday, Feb. 19 at 10 a.m. for HonorClub members and Friday, Feb. 21 at 10 a.m. for the general public.

Tickets also go on sale those same dates and times for Battlestarr 2020 on April 23 at Terminal 5 in New York City. The quarterfinals of the Pure Title tournament are among the featured attractions on that show.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Might be interesting to some, two of the Dojo guys wrestled and appeared at Warrior wrestling without their previous gimmicks and were simply set in Black trunks, while also being seconds to Gresham in his match.

Personally I think it’s a very good decision, allow fans to see you bare and just concentrate on wrestling and that will get you over. It’s obviously worked for NJPW for a long time and really there isn’t much reason for it not to now.

Will be interesting to see if this translates to ROH shows too and they if will be in openers at ROH events going forward. It could mean that ROH as a whole will be taking a new approach to a lot going forward.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Lynx

Post by Lynx »

BurningHammer wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:43 amPersonally I think it’s a very good decision, allow fans to see you bare and just concentrate on wrestling and that will get you over. It’s obviously worked for NJPW for a long time and really there isn’t much reason for it not to now.
It worked in Japan, might not work at all in USA.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Lynx wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:32 am
BurningHammer wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:43 amPersonally I think it’s a very good decision, allow fans to see you bare and just concentrate on wrestling and that will get you over. It’s obviously worked for NJPW for a long time and really there isn’t much reason for it not to now.
Why wouldn't it, the whole reason someone like Narita is in the possition he is in, is because of his status as dojo guy and how they bleed them into the fold. it actually creates a serious and authentic attitude to the idea of being in a 'Dojo'. If you want to create that type of authenticity this is the way to go about it. I'd much rather have someone raw without any gimmick than to try and push and push a gimick that will never get over, focus on the wrestling and things will fall into place from there.
SandsShifter

Post by SandsShifter »

BurningHammer wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:45 am
Why wouldn't it, the whole reason someone like Narita is in the possition he is in, is because of his status as dojo guy and how they bleed them into the fold. it actually creates a serious and authentic attitude to the idea of being in a 'Dojo'. If you want to create that type of authenticity this is the way to go about it. I'd much rather have someone raw without any gimmick than to try and push and push a gimick that will never get over, focus on the wrestling and things will fall into place from there.
My first thought was to really like the approach, but I worry. What helps the NJPW Dojo students is the amount of shows NJPW run with getting experience in front of crowds. ROH doesn't run nearly as many shows. So, would they be making the difference up by working other indie shows?
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

SandsShifter wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:08 am
BurningHammer wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:45 am

My first thought was to really like the approach, but I worry. What helps the NJPW Dojo students is the amount of shows NJPW run with getting experience in front of crowds. ROH doesn't run nearly as many shows. So, would they be making the difference up by working other indie shows?
Right now they are both being used for MCW in their previous gimmicks, that could change soon say if they are signed under ROH contracts or they leave that environment completely. They could also create a story of using their new attitude through Future of Honor events, which may start to become more frequent.

Maybe wherever Gresham is book outside of ROH in the US they get a match on the card either as a tag match or singles somewhere, then say once they get their name out positively, through what ROH and Gresham hopefully they get more bookings. You never know, ROH towards the end of the year may increase they amount of shows per month too.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

BurningHammer wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:45 amWhy wouldn't it, the whole reason someone like Narita is in the possition he is in, is because of his status as dojo guy and how they bleed them into the fold. it actually creates a serious and authentic attitude to the idea of being in a 'Dojo'. If you want to create that type of authenticity this is the way to go about it. I'd much rather have someone raw without any gimmick than to try and push and push a gimick that will never get over, focus on the wrestling and things will fall into place from there.
I'm not sure, but I think that NJPW has been doing young lions thing for couple of decades. People understand that these guys one day, barring injuries and things like that, are likely to become important parts of the larger NJPW structure so they are willing to go with repetitive young lion matches where they either elbow each other for 10 minutes or get trashed by some older wrestler.

In USA mindset is a bit different, especially in indies. Every card needs to have dream matches and "main event in any arena" matches. Singular young lion match is irrelevant, they start mattering only when takes as a whole. Or when years later people remember that wrestler X was abused by wrestler Y when he was young lion 3 years ago and they start to build a story around it. Does regular USA wrestling fan have patience for such things? He wants big matches that matter on every show. If you start doing dojo guy vs dojo guy matches then I think you'll get lots of "RoH doesn't have talent depth, have to use people that nobody else is using on their shows" comments.

I actually really like young lions system and I agree with stuff that you wrote, but I'm very sceptical about it working in USA. I guess I should clarify that by saying USA I mean USA based promotions since NJPW are now doing shows in USA as well, but it is not like they are starting from nothing, their trust built in Japan translates, to some extent, to USA as well.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Lynx wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:18 am
BurningHammer wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:45 amWhy wouldn't it, the whole reason someone like Narita is in the possition he is in, is because of his status as dojo guy and how they bleed them into the fold. it actually creates a serious and authentic attitude to the idea of being in a 'Dojo'. If you want to create that type of authenticity this is the way to go about it. I'd much rather have someone raw without any gimmick than to try and push and push a gimick that will never get over, focus on the wrestling and things will fall into place from there.
I'm not sure, but I think that NJPW has been doing young lions thing for couple of decades. People understand that these guys one day, barring injuries and things like that, are likely to become important parts of the larger NJPW structure so they are willing to go with repetitive young lion matches where they either elbow each other for 10 minutes or get trashed by some older wrestler.

In USA mindset is a bit different, especially in indies. Every card needs to have dream matches and "main event in any arena" matches. Singular young lion match is irrelevant, they start mattering only when takes as a whole. Or when years later people remember that wrestler X was abused by wrestler Y when he was young lion 3 years ago and they start to build a story around it. Does regular USA wrestling fan have patience for such things? He wants big matches that matter on every show. If you start doing dojo guy vs dojo guy matches then I think you'll get lots of "RoH doesn't have talent depth, have to use people that nobody else is using on their shows" comments.

I actually really like young lions system and I agree with stuff that you wrote, but I'm very sceptical about it working in USA. I guess I should clarify that by saying USA I mean USA based promotions since NJPW are now doing shows in USA as well, but it is not like they are starting from nothing, their trust built in Japan translates, to some extent, to USA as well.
Isn't that what most wrestling fans want though, to have story lines that make sense and connect for a numbers, surely most fans want to invest in wrestlers for the long term, or am is that becoming less of desire now. I think what really helps is that you have someone with a blank slate set in a certain role like a young lion, there would be a level of expectation compared to someone out there with a gimmick trying to get over, especially if they aren't showing enough in the ring it's going to be hard for them. You give these guys a sense of developing the basics and allow the crowd to connect and it's much easier as a whole I would presume.

I think that would obviously set about what wrestling fan you want to attract, if ROH is wanting to change the perception of what they are as a wrestling promotion and focus on creating a more japanese centric style, like it used to have, I think that would attrack a certain wrestling fan. Right now like a lot of years previously they are stuck in between styles of a wrestling promotion trying to cater to all tastes when they just need to focus on one. It's why having someone like PCO, Vinny to a lesser extent and even guys like Draper right now just don't fit in with a lot of others around them. Yes it obviously makes them stand out but it also singles them out in quality compared to others around them and that's a bad thing. New Japan can get away with because of the quality of those stars have, like say Evil. In the end If you show you are sticking to that one style it should draw that particuler fan base, you would hope anyway.

I would also think it gives your relationship with New Japan a much more symbotic one, you can have a dojo wars style set up between New Japan and ROH. You could then hopefully send ROH dojo talent across to Japan on an exercusion.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

ROH is starting wildcard Wednesdays that will be random multi tag team matches that will be filmed before roh events and air on Wednesdays on their YouTube channel
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Think one interesting note coming out of the article is Conors, Narita and Shibata are going to in for the Past vs Present. Wonder how far that will go, especially if ROH is taking their Dojo more seriously now. Also nice to see London coming in for Past vs Present.

I do wonder who will the new talent will be coming in for the TV title match, especially when we haven't seen them in ROH before.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Ecks Files

*Ring of Honor will soon be debuting a new weekly feature called Wildcard Wednesday, which will consist of multi-person tag matches between teams selected at random.

Think ROH’s annual Christmas Surprise match, only without the Santa hats.

The matches will be taped at ROH events before the live stream begins and then air on ROH’s YouTube channel and HonorClub. The first matches for Wildcard Wednesday will take place at Bound By Honor on Feb. 28 in Nashville, Tenn., and Gateway To Honor on Feb. 29 in St. Louis.

Everyone on the ROH active roster is eligible to be selected to compete in Wildcard Wednesday matches, which means friend and foe could be on the same side and friends could be on opposite sides.

*The participants in the tournament to crown the ROH Women’s World Champion and Pure Champion will start being revealed next week

It was announced last week that Sumie Sakai, the first Women of Honor World Champion, will compete in the women’s tournament, which begins with eight first-round matches at Quest for Gold in Philadelphia on April 24. The tournament will feature some new faces who have never competed in ROH.

The Pure Title tournament kicks off with first-round matches at Pure Excellence in Columbus, Ohio on April 10 and Pittsburgh on April 11. The quarterfinals are set to take place at Battlestarr 2020 in New York City on April 23.

Competitors in the Pure Title tournament include newcomers to ROH, international talent and some former holders of the old Pure Championship.

*The Villain” Marty Scurll will be available for free photo opportunities with fans at Bound By Honor in Nashville on Feb. 28 prior to the start of the show.

*Clark Connors and Ren Narita, both products of New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s Los Angeles Dojo, will compete in matches taped exclusively for ROH television prior to the live stream portion of ROH Past vs. Present in Las Vegas on March 14.

Also, Japanese pro wrestling legend Katsuyori Shibata will participate in the meet and greet at Past vs. Present. Shibata, who broke into NJPW alongside Hiroshi Tanahashi and Shinsuke Nakamura, was one of the top wrestlers in the sport for nearly two decades. He is currently the head coach at the L.A. dojo.

*Paul London will make a special appearance at Past vs. Present.

London competed in ROH in 2002 and 2003 before returning in 2013-2014. He was a top contender to the ROH World Title during the company’s early years.