Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by famicommander »

Think about it

Singles matches, 20 minute time limit, 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw. You may end up with some duds like Bubba vs Milonas but I'd be all about:
King vs PCO
Maff vs Taylor
Taylor vs Cobb, because that's awesome every time
Bruiser vs Maff
Bruiser vs Taylor
Cobb vs Maff
Cobb vs Bruiser
Bruiser vs Milonas
Taylor vs Bruiser
Taylor vs Bubba
King vs Bubba
King vs Bruiser
King vs Taylor

etc

I think ROH has the deepest roster of super heavyweight workers in the business right now and they should showcase it.

EDIT:

also you could maybe bring in an Ultimo Guerrero or a Bad Luck Fale or a Lance Archer
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

famicommander wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:27 pm Think about it

Singles matches, 20 minute time limit, 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw. You may end up with some duds like Bubba vs Milonas but I'd be all about:
King vs PCO
Maff vs Taylor
Taylor vs Cobb, because that's awesome every time
Bruiser vs Maff
Bruiser vs Taylor
Cobb vs Maff
Cobb vs Bruiser
Bruiser vs Milonas
Taylor vs Bruiser
Taylor vs Bubba
King vs Bubba
King vs Bruiser
King vs Taylor

etc

I think ROH has the deepest roster of super heavyweight workers in the business right now and they should showcase it.

EDIT:

also you could maybe bring in an Ultimo Guerrero or a Bad Luck Fale or a Lance Archer
Anyone but Bubba.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:22 pm
Lynx wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:06 pm If Bubba gets squashed by Cobb in first round then I'm ok with it. If Bubba wins a match then fuck it.
I said round robin, so everybody faces everybody once and then the top two in a rematch for the trophy.

I'm more than sick of Bubba from a creative standpoint but he's still in shape (by his standards) and if they're going to keep him around, they may as well get some use out of him. Give him a token win over Milonas but everybody else pins him clean.
Round robin with Bubba/Bully means we'd have to watch a bunch of matches with Bubba/Bully

No way he'd enter a tournament and get beaten by everyone except Milonas. Also, he's much more interested in doing sports entertainment stuff rather than actual wrestling; so I'm sure we'll see more of him pushing down the announcer or putting a woman through a table in the future.

I'd much rather see WWE re-hire him for something (anything).
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Sumie turning heel is pretty puzzling.

Who really wants to boo Sumie?
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

famicommander wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:04 pm Sumie turning heel is pretty puzzling.

People boo'ed Daniel Bryan. All depends on how you go about it.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Shanahan wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:36 pm
famicommander wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:04 pm Sumie turning heel is pretty puzzling.

People boo'ed Daniel Bryan. All depends on how you go about it.
Sumie is a natural underdog due to her size and age, she lacks the language skills to really cut heel promos, and her contributions to ROH both in kayfabe and the real world are well known to the hardcore fans, and that's pretty much all that is left at these shows.

Not impossible to get people to boo her, but it seems like a fool's errand.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

do you guys think la faccion ingobernable needs a fourth member?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I feel like people definitely saw ROH's half of MSG as the beginning of a serious downgrade in the relationship between New Japan and ROH, but recent developments over the last month clearly have swung things the other way. I guess you can say it sort of started with Dragon Lee winning the ROH World TV Title right after it had come out that he signed a contract of New Japan.

Obviously a lot of people will contribute all of this good news to Marty. The timing of the announcement over the weekend, coupled with the NWA stuff and this news with New Japan, he's looking great right now.

Personally, I never thought the ROH relationship with New Japan was totally dead. The big litmus tests for me would've been Mania Weekend (especially when The Bullet Club announced they were doing another one of their party gimmicks in Tampa), and the Best Of The Super Juniors lineup, given that ROH contracted talents like Bandido and Jonathan Gresham had very strong showings in that tournament (and I don't see any reason why New Japan wouldn't want to bring them back for the tournament this year).

It could be true that the era of the joint tours with ROH (War Of The Worlds, Global Wars) are over (for obvious reasons), but these announcement for Supercard Of Honor are a clear indicator that New Japan is ok with their talents working bigger ROH shows like this.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Yeah, I think it is fair to assume that stuff regarding Supercard show had to be started before Marty signed new contract.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Willing to admit I may have been wrong when I insisted for years they should give up on Josh Woods.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 2Fpage-171

Ospreay tweets about the Pure title, ROH asks the question, then Ospreay gets announced for Supercard.

A tease maybe?
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I don't think there is a need for a third singles title. I certainly wouldn't mind the occasional Pure Rules match though.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I wouldn't mind three singles titles as long as it means longer reigns in general.

ROH world title has changed hands far too often the last five years.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

famicommander wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:58 pm I wouldn't mind three singles titles as long as it means longer reigns in general.

ROH world title has changed hands far too often the last five years.
Yeah it’s sad. The world title means next to nothing. They put the belt on midcarder Matt Taven.

Honestly though... whatever Ospreay wants, they should do. He’s 100% one of the best in the world. And ROH doesn’t get talent like that as much nowadays.

I thought they used him well in the match vs Lethal a while back. They need to make the most of it. I feel like ROH’s storylines are just pointless nowadays and rarely lead to anything. Fuck it, put all the belts on Ospreay, who cares. Lol.

No but seriously, I’m guessing they do Ospreay/Scurll at some point. If they really give it their all, that match could legit be the best match ROH has had in a loooooong time.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

If they bring back the Pure title need ZSJ to come in.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Do you think TV will ever go back to actual TV Show or are we stuck with this clip show crap?
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Shanahan wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:46 am Do you think TV will ever go back to actual TV Show or are we stuck with this clip show crap?
You know as much as I'd like to see it get back to a regular episodic program, I think it may be a better idea to keep it as a clip show as more or less an infomercial for Honor Club.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

If they bring back Pure title then I hope that they figure out an interesting match layout for them because last one that we got, Young vs Gresham, wasn't very interesting, at least to me.

I'm also not sure about Ospreay being involved with it, to me his style doesn't really look suitable for Pure rules matches.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Just on the TV side of things, I saw a rumour (certainly from a source that I have never heard of or seen of previously so this is being taken a with a huge pinch of salt) that suggested both Sinclair and Bushiroad were actively seaking a TV network to co-produce a TV show that would also include Stardom. Now considering who speculated this I couldn't say there was a truth in it what so ever but it would be interesting from both sides if they were to do something like this.

As for ROH's own TV product, I haven't watched any recent TV nor live shows, but have they been using any live interviews or pre recorded backstage bit's in the portions of the TV tapings that do go live?. If they are then maybe they are working towards a live TV. Considering how much work is needed for live TV and all that comes with it they maybe trying to fine tune the work before even attempting it. Just a thought.

As for the TV title I really welcome it, it gives certain wrestlers a chance to really show they their wrestling skills in a specific match environment. It's a title that would allow someone like Josh Woods to really explore himself as the true wrestler he actually is, you can also bring in guys that are very techincally based. It's a title that could also condition an audience that has been very used to a highspots mentality to engage and respond to something if the title is given the time. I don't know if they current rules could apply with todays wrestling fan but when the rules have the right apponenets you can create so much drama or intruige with it. Personally I think Gresham and Silas were the wrong guys for it, put the title on the line against say Gresham and Zack and you will have a much different reaction.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Mentioned this last year, but I still feel pretty confident this is the best path forward.

They should have an annual pure rules tournament, and the winner get like a trophy or something, and be considered the best pure rules wrestler/champ. No need for another title. They can build in the best technical wrestlers in the world to compete.