Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by famicommander »

Memphis Mark wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:35 pm I don't know about all that . It is a free country , people have the right to free speech and their own personal views..

. I just try to be a good person, cannot control anyone else. In my book , getting rid of Delirious is all that matters. I just hope he takes Bubba with him.
Delirious isn't going anywhere. He's staying on to assist Marty.

And of course people have their free speech. And I am free to react with utter disgust when people exercise their right to free speech to say vile, bigoted, and/or outright insane things.

It should be common sense for any public entity in 2020 to try not to associate with people that hate LBGT people as Corgan does, or people who retweet straight up white nationalist propaganda like Lagana, or people who go to bat for people with decades worth of racist comments like Marquez.

These people are poison and ROH will have nobody to blame but themselves when it blows up in their faces.

EDIT:
Not to mention the reason Lagana isn't in WWE anymore is because of sexual harassment claims.

Think on that one. This dude is too much of a creeper for WWE, who is run by Vince McMahon and who still employs Pat Patterson, Ryan Ward, and Randy Orton.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I'm excited about Marty being signed and taking over as the Booker man.. Been enjoying the re-vamped NWA too.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

famicommander wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:56 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:56 pm
famicommander wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:15 pm Tell him "no"

Associating with White Power Wrestling is a bad idea through and through.
Lot of minorities and non-white folk work there. Not sure where the gate comes from
Dave Lagana, Billy Corgan, and Dave Marquez are all massive bigots.
Uh, not really. Marquez said something very inappropriate a few weeks back but that was in very poor taste. I know Dave, that’s not his M.O all things considered would be weird coming from his background. As for billy, don’t know him, know he’s a bit of a wacko but definitely not a bigot.

In addition ROH is owned by the most right wing, corrupt, conservatives on the planet. So I guess that’s that.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:44 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:56 pm

Lot of minorities and non-white folk work there. Not sure where the gate comes from
Uh, not really. Marquez said something very inappropriate a few weeks back but that was in very poor taste. I know Dave, that’s not his M.O all things considered would be weird coming from his background. As for billy, don’t know him, know he’s a bit of a wacko but definitely not a bigot.

In addition ROH is owned by the most right wing, corrupt, conservatives on the planet. So I guess that’s that.
https://www.bitchmedia.org/post/billy-c ... -attention
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/ ... ?CMP=fb_us
https://cultaholic.com/news/nwa-present ... st-remark/
https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertai ... story.html

These dudes all knew exactly who Cornette was when they hired him.

Then they edited that episode, didn't see anything wrong with it, and aired it.

Then they defended him.

Then they realized people were mad and sort of apologized, but still gave Cornette a respectful and fond farewell.

These are the people in direct control of the wrestling operations of the company. These are not faceless billionaires way, way up the corporate ladder who don't even watch the show.
AnHonorableMention

famicommander wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:54 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:44 pm

https://www.bitchmedia.org/post/billy-c ... -attention
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/ ... ?CMP=fb_us
https://cultaholic.com/news/nwa-present ... st-remark/
https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertai ... story.html

These dudes all knew exactly who Cornette was when they hired him.

Then they edited that episode, didn't see anything wrong with it, and aired it.

Then they defended him.

Then they realized people were mad and sort of apologized, but still gave Cornette a respectful and fond farewell.

These are the people in direct control of the wrestling operations of the company. These are not faceless billionaires way, way up the corporate ladder who don't even watch the show.
In addition to those points, I'm not sure Lagana understood the full message. Hard to explain why he's not a bigot without saying something that isn't my place to say. But yeah I don't buy all of this. I also have been in private conversations with Dave where his views are the polar opposite in discussion of what you described.

As for Corgan, dude is nuts, always has been. Most artists are, but he was critical of Trump and Alex Jones during his Stern Show interview last year. Which is the last time I've heard from him publicly.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Did he understand Cornette's message(s)?

Or are we just going to ignore the fact that they knew he was a racist, hired him, listened to him say something racist, edited, aired it, and defended him?
AnHonorableMention

famicommander wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:49 pm Did he understand Cornette's message(s)?

Or are we just going to ignore the fact that they knew he was a racist, hired him, listened to him say something racist, edited, aired it, and defended him?
No argument from me there. But let's not pretend that was first time Cornette used that exact line. No reaction ever before that. Cornette is a real shit bag, but still the fault lays in allowing the editing to let that get by.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I guess MLW is racist for using Cornette too. Come on...move on.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Shanahan wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:53 pm I guess MLW is racist for using Cornette too. Come on...move on.
Did MLW put a racist comment of his up on worldwide media after the top two guys in the company approved and edited it?

No?

Didn't think so.

Does Court Bauer retweet white nationalist propaganda or hate trans people?

No?

Oh, ok then.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Anyone else excited for Taven's Baby Face World Title run??? I'm being serious.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Shanahan wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:09 pm Anyone else excited for Taven's Baby Face World Title run??? I'm being serious.
I am excited for anything Taven does based on pretty much everything he's done since he came back from injury being good.
AnHonorableMention

famicommander wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:04 pm
Shanahan wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:53 pm I guess MLW is racist for using Cornette too. Come on...move on.
Did MLW put a racist comment of his up on worldwide media after the top two guys in the company approved and edited it?

No?

Didn't think so.

No?

Oh, ok then.
In terms of Lagana you’re way off base about his beliefs. It’s as if there’s something else at play.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:07 pm
famicommander wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:04 pm

No?

Didn't think so.

No?

Oh, ok then.
In terms of Lagana you’re way off base about his beliefs. It’s as if there’s something else at play.
He's the one who retweeted all of that and then deleted it when people started asking him about it.

He's the one who let those Cornette comments get to air and then defended him.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Roh offered cage a strong deal but he decided to sign with aew for the exposure
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:56 pm
famicommander wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:49 pm Did he understand Cornette's message(s)?

No argument from me there. But let's not pretend that was first time Cornette used that exact line. No reaction ever before that. Cornette is a real shit bag, but still the fault lays in allowing the editing to let that get by.
When did the outrage come in, before or after that line was edited out? I really have to think that if that line had been left alone, it wouldn't have received the controversy it got. Or it could have been cut out before airing, which would have the smarter thing to do, and that too would have gone unnoticed.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Shanahan wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:09 pm Anyone else excited for Taven's Baby Face World Title run??? I'm being serious.
I actually think it can work as a babyface.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Much like Taylor he has the fans or a selection behind him more so than ever before. If they are smart about it, they could really make him. I think there needs to be a title run or two from a more selected name like Marty or Bandido maybe both. I think Taven would make sense as a champ next year, build the feud with Ring Of Horror through out this year, give it time and more emotion and everyone by the end of it will come off much better.

The other news is also very good hear, finally there is a contemory voice in the booking team that doesn't have certain requirements and pre-requesites because of certain attitudes and beliefs. I just hope Marty thinks on the traditional side of things where wrestling is a wink and nod and all the other shit that goes on today.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

dhads7161 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:11 pm
I actually think it can work as a babyface.
Its funny cause he was being trashed for his title reign and the night he loses is the night a lot of fans finally realized Taven is really good. i think the way the Rush match was booked was perfect face turn...the cocky heel fighting for his life vs the undefeated stud. It was really hard hitting and brutal match (suplex to outside,the nasty slaps that cut his lip,just the tip knees over and over) along with some well placed shit talk...Taven showed a brand new fire..Halfway thru the crowd wanted Taven to retain. His promos following that and then the Vincent turn was icing on the cake. Hell, even TK's promo got him over more than ever.

Not sure when he gets back from injury but when he returns to beat shit out Horror....the pop will be real nice. Then after few months of fueding with Horror he can move on to chasing the belt. Maybe he gets it next Final Battle
AnHonorableMention

Reaper G wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:21 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:56 pm

When did the outrage come in, before or after that line was edited out? I really have to think that if that line had been left alone, it wouldn't have received the controversy it got. Or it could have been cut out before airing, which would have the smarter thing to do, and that too would have gone unnoticed.

Nothing about what Cornette said had any business making air. However, when you edit that many hours of audio nothing is going to be perfect. I know Dave and I know his views, he’s not what you’re accusing him of.
Captain Podcast
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Back to random thoughts, and something of a tangent to this, but -- who currently in ROH is actually a heel?

That's what I kept thinking during the Concord show.

-The Briscoes were heel, but they didn't play that role last night -- they acted and talked like baby faces.
-Dalton Castle turned heel on the boys... but now he's back to his old character seemingly (with new boys who are only part of the ring walk) with all of the heel turn stuff forgotten about.
-Brian Johnson is a heel, but only a comedic one with PJ Black (baby face) as his "mentor/partner" which sort of undermines his heel role.
-Silas Young and Josh Woods were both heels for a very short time (and Woods fared poorly with that overall). Now they are both faces and teamed with the Bouncers... the guys Silas turned on earlier.
-Matt Taven is apparently now a face
-Flip Gordon played a heel role (especially by taking Flamita's mask)... but he's with Villain Enterprises which is clearly not really a heel faction.

So, I guess that leaves us with:

-LFI (probably the main heels in the organization currently)
-Jay Lethal and Jonathan Greshman (faces who are now heels)
-Sumie Sakai (who doesn't make sense as a heel, but probably played the role the best of anyone last night)
-Vincent's horror faction
-Bully Ray (for anyone who still cares ... the angle with Maria Manic was the most boring part of the show)
-Dak Draper (if he's really even a consideration at this point?)
-Shane Taylor (maybe? sort of? Really more of a "free agent" sort of angle)