Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Shanahan

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Shanahan »

I like when you don't know the outcome....that was really effective.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Great matches signed for January so far, with great fucking talents and it looks like Willaims won't go out, hope the can sign Everett, Horus and Savoy. I've always said that the problem in ROH is the office and the booking, but the talent is fantastic, so they just need to book it in the good way.

Atlanta:
- PCO (c) vs. Rush
- Horus/Flamita/Bandido vs. Scurll/Brody/Flip
- Dragon Lee (c) vs. Andrew Everett
- Woods vs. Gresham
- Savoy/Sakai vs. The Allure

Concord:
- Scurll/PCO/Brody (c) vs. Rush/Lee/King
- Flip vs. Flamita
- Bandido vs. Alex Zayne
- Horus vs. Everett
- Haskins/Williams vs. Bateman/Vicent
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Holy shit Bandido vs. Zayne. That's awesome
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

what a cards!
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Killer cards so far....no one can bitch about those cards. You can critique some little things but overall....WOW...

And Williams booked.....I'm gonna thank ian....i think he read my sad tweets about williams being gone and threw me a bone.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AXS TV will no longer produce episodes of NJPW World Pro Wrestling Returns for international distribution, nor air the show on its channel.

This effectively kills NJPW television everywhere except in Japan.

Suddenly they may need ROH in a big way again. Last I heard NJPW World still had less than 20,000 subscribers outside Japan.

No AXS TV show, no free ride on ROH TV, how do they promote NJPW US shows now?
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Stadium was airing world of sports until it got cancelled I see Njpw may air on there which could strength the partnership to roh and njpw
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

As far as I am aware, NJPW is still contracted with AXS through 2021.

But NJPW is choosing not to produce the episodes anymore because their ad split revenue doesn't cover production costs.

AXS TV had been paying the production costs. But since Anthem bought them, Anthem apparently doesn't want to pay up front to cover production on a competitor's wrestling show, especially since that competitor refuses to work with Impact.

Anthem has been shown to be willing to air the content of competing promotions (for example, they air ROH on Fight Network in Canada and the UK), but they don't seem to be willing to foot the bill anymore.

So NJPW probably won't be able to strike a deal with any other US broadcasters until 2021.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

If Anthem is changing the deal I’m pretty sure NJPW can claim a breach and move on without waiting but that’s just my 2 cents.
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:38 am Killer cards so far....no one can bitch about those cards. You can critique some little things but overall....WOW...

And Williams booked.....I'm gonna thank ian....i think he read my sad tweets about williams being gone and threw me a bone.
I'll caution you with the caveat of knowing nothing about Tracy or anyone else's status but my own: please, please believe almost nothing you read on the internet about anyone's contract unless it comes from that person themselves.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

IanRiccaboni wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:55 pm
Shanahan wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:38 am Killer cards so far....no one can bitch about those cards. You can critique some little things but overall....WOW...

I'll caution you with the caveat of knowing nothing about Tracy or anyone else's status but my own: please, please believe almost nothing you read on the internet about anyone's contract unless it comes from that person themselves.
I know, you are 100% correct but the end of the year "whos staying,whos going" saga is so stressful.
Montana

Post by Montana »

AlexROH wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:49 am Great matches signed for January so far, with great fucking talents and it looks like Willaims won't go out, hope the can sign Everett, Horus and Savoy. I've always said that the problem in ROH is the office and the booking, but the talent is fantastic, so they just need to book it in the good way.

Atlanta:
- PCO (c) vs. Rush
- Horus/Flamita/Bandido vs. Scurll/Brody/Flip
- Dragon Lee (c) vs. Andrew Everett
- Woods vs. Gresham
- Savoy/Sakai vs. The Allure

Concord:
- Scurll/PCO/Brody (c) vs. Rush/Lee/King
- Flip vs. Flamita
- Bandido vs. Alex Zayne
- Horus vs. Everett
- Haskins/Williams vs. Bateman/Vicent

These shows are quite stacked. I really like that ROH seems to be going after more high flyers, as that will help draw some younger fans, as it's an exciting fast style of wrestling.

As for ROH & NJPW, I'd really like to see a joint NJPW World & Honor CLub service. (Add CMLL too) These three companies need to stick together in my opinion, unless NJPW changes their direction.

(i'm also sad about the AXS thing, because i just got the channel like 2 months ago... when i got it, it was no Impact and had NJPW, now it flipped. It was pretty nice having both, but hard to watch it all. )
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Great cards. I really hate the current state of ROH, but I still want the company to do well.
MOOSE!
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

Not including the CMLL 86th Anniversary, I called matches for 92 wrestlers I have never called before this year and I was exclusive to ROH. Would have never guessed that number was this high!

Here is the list:

https://twitter.com/IanRiccaboni/status ... 86145?s=19

Some surprises:

Never thought I'd ever call anything with Muta, Haku, or the Rock N Roll Express. Always thought it would be cool to call something for Kojima, Nagata, and Ishii.

Had some real blue-chip talent come through that I feel like will be in the next wave in 2-3 years of breakout names (LA Dojo trio).

There are a few names (Geddy Cahoon, Joe Keys, Dante Caballero, etc) that I have called in Future of Honor or even the Monster Factory that I did not include.

Genuinely surprised I had never called a Finlay or Hikuleo match prior to last year.

Even including 2016 (first half dozen main shows plus all Future of Honor) and 2017 (first year in the main chair plus Future of Honor), I don't recall ever calling this many new-to-me talents in one calendar year, which is pretty wild!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

If Tracy Williams staying (which I hope he is), he ought to be booked like 2006 Bryan Danielson.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Those new cards are pretty great. 2019 wasn't ideal, but 2020 is already looking like it's off to a great start.

Now ROH needs to book strong cards consistently if they want to get back to being known for having the best wrestling. I feel like guys give only about 75% effort nowadays on most ROH shows. If they can get it back to a place that's known for good wrestling, maybe all the new guys will want to have their star-making performances in a ROH ring. I've been pessimistic about ROH in the last year or two, but the new cards do give me some hope. I'm just glad they're bringing in some new talent that people are actually hyped about.
Montana

Post by Montana »

This could change.... but looks like ROH will be putting on the full show of Final Battle 2019 for free on YouTube. Looks like it’s a live premier New Year’s Day.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Montana wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:33 pm This could change.... but looks like ROH will be putting on the full show of Final Battle 2019 for free on YouTube. Looks like it’s a live premier New Year’s Day.
One of the worst shows of the year given away for free. SMH.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Atlanta.

JAY & MARK BRISCOE vs. LIFEBLOOD (MARK HASKINS & TRACY WILLIAMS) vs. JEFF COBB & DAN MAFF
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:05 pm
Montana wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:33 pm This could change.... but looks like ROH will be putting on the full show of Final Battle 2019 for free on YouTube. Looks like it’s a live premier New Year’s Day.
One of the worst shows of the year given away for free. SMH.
[cornette]