Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AnHonorableMention

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Wilson wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:23 pm Whatever is actually going on with Shane, at the very least they are doing well in promoting the angle. (Hope he is getting paid now more than he was before.)
There's a theory that was floated to me today is that he's doing what Keith Lee did to ROH and they're not smart enough to catch it. Playing it up like he's staying with ROH to drive his payoff from Impact/NJPW USA. Would not shock me to see ROH open up their wallets to keep him just so they can wag their finger and call out those who doubt them. 40 dates a year for six figures is a hell of a deal even if you're doing it in front of 300-500 people.
Captain Podcast
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

That ballroom at the Hilton New York Midtown was a nice looking venue when Wrestlecon ran it this year. Actually seemed like a near perfect space for wrestling. It would check all the boxes for ROH's needs it seems. Spacious enough for the ring area, small enough so ROH wouldn't have too be too big of a space. The venue's availability seating can be reduced or expanded as needed. The stage can also be tiered as well. The way they set it up for Wrestlecon's events reminded me.of the setup for WMs 4 and 5. Heck, ROH could even save on bringing in some of their equipment and just use the venue's video screens and just open the stage curtain like Wrestlecon did for their entrance.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

wow, really high prices for njpw usa.

https://twitter.com/NJPWofAmerica/statu ... 6425295874
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

monster mafia wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:41 pm wow, really high prices for njpw usa.

https://twitter.com/NJPWofAmerica/statu ... 6425295874

wow is right. I was thinking of taking a vacation in jan to go to fla to see my mom and hit up njpw.....guess i'll be skipping njpw.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Most likely have to cover the costs of transporting the natives to the U.S. as well as the authentic New Japan ring and that kind of stuff. Doesn't help that these are smaller venues either so there won't be an abundance of low end priced tickets.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:16 pmThere's a theory that was floated to me today is that he's doing what Keith Lee did to ROH and they're not smart enough to catch it. Playing it up like he's staying with ROH to drive his payoff from Impact/NJPW USA. Would not shock me to see ROH open up their wallets to keep him just so they can wag their finger and call out those who doubt them. 40 dates a year for six figures is a hell of a deal even if you're doing it in front of 300-500 people.
A wrestler doing a leverage play during contract season. Next level stuff. What a crazy theory.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

If PCO can be world champion in 2020 and the RNRE can be NWA Tag Champs without being laughed off the internet entirely, I want another damn Rhino world title run. Don't care which promotion.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Rhino can work, and he's in better shape now that he's away from WWE's touring schedule again. He's still shy of his 45th birthday and I've always considered him extremely underrated. Won 9 belts including 2 world titles across ECW/TNA/WWE, but I didn't think his world title reigns got enough time to breathe. His ECW title run was ended by the death of the company and his NWA/TNA reign lasted like 2 days.
AnHonorableMention

famicommander wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:30 pm Rhino can work, and he's in better shape now that he's away from WWE's touring schedule again. He's still shy of his 45th birthday and I've always considered him extremely underrated. Won 9 belts including 2 world titles across ECW/TNA/WWE, but I didn't think his world title reigns got enough time to breathe. His ECW title run was ended by the death of the company and his NWA/TNA reign lasted like 2 days.
Yeah I completely agree with peak Rhino, 2000-2007ish, but I'm just not sure there's much I would care to see him do. That's the thing, does someone like PCO mean more now than the first time he was doing this gimmick? I want to see him less now than ever before. Same with Bubba Dudley. Less is more with guys that age.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:07 pm
famicommander wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:30 pm Rhino can work, and he's in better shape now that he's away from WWE's touring schedule again. He's still shy of his 45th birthday and I've always considered him extremely underrated. Won 9 belts including 2 world titles across ECW/TNA/WWE, but I didn't think his world title reigns got enough time to breathe. His ECW title run was ended by the death of the company and his NWA/TNA reign lasted like 2 days.
Yeah I completely agree with peak Rhino, 2000-2007ish, but I'm just not sure there's much I would care to see him do. That's the thing, does someone like PCO mean more now than the first time he was doing this gimmick? I want to see him less now than ever before. Same with Bubba Dudley. Less is more with guys that age.
Rhino in 2019 is still a better wrestler than Bubba or PCO were in 1997.
AnHonorableMention

famicommander wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:09 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:07 pm
Rhino in 2019 is still a better wrestler than Bubba or PCO were in 1997.
I can't say I agree in either regard but that's why they make different flavors of ice cream.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:25 pm BIG LOL at rovert doing a run in. Back to psychotherapy for you weirdo.

As for Rhino, hard no there. PCO is a joke, and the RNR's are a novelty in an environment where workrate is the last on the list of importance.
Still waiting for anthony henry in roh.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Rhino is in tna anyway.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

monster mafia wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:02 pm Rhino is in tna anyway.
I specifically said I don't care what promotion, I just want another Rhino world title run.

ROH, Impact, MLW, WWE, AEW, AAA, CMLL, NJPW, NOAH, AJPW, Dragon Gate... as long as it's one of the big leagues. Those are the 11 major promotions in the world (not in that order, obviously), and some have multiple world titles each like WWE and CMLL. By my count Rhino wouldn't even be the 3rd oldest current world champion among major promotions (1. PCO 2. Jericho 3. Guerrero).
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Rhyno is a burnt-out husk, dude.

His IMPACT matches have been so sad they've barely used him after the first matches. He's SO slow now. Was a big fan of him but times move. His post-WWE matches have been super depressing.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

rovert1 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:48 pm Rhyno is a burnt-out husk, dude.

His IMPACT matches have been so sad they've barely used him after the first matches. He's SO slow now. Was a big fan of him but times move. His post-WWE matches have been super depressing.
He has a singles match on the next PPV...
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

famicommander wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:18 pm
rovert1 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:48 pm Rhyno is a burnt-out husk, dude.

He has a singles match on the next PPV...
That changes nothing that I said it will be the worst reviewed match onthe show.
Montana

Post by Montana »

On the Rhyno subject.... I think he still has a few good years left. He probably just needs to get his legs back. He's been on WWE's bench for a while, so i'm sure with some cardio, and getting back into wrestling regularly he'll be fine. He's a great fit for Impact. (especially compared to the other ECW wrestlers) That being said, i'm not sure i'd want his as world champ for Impact. He's in that veteran role, to help get the younger talent over. Although im really not a fan of Sami or Tessa as world champ for them either... so who knows.
Montana

Post by Montana »

On a side note.... Impact revamped their website and looks great. ROH needs an refresh badly.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Lol tna thread is in other side

Thanks...