Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by AlexROH »

Via WON:

"ROH drew 1,000 fans on 12/13 in Baltimore for Final Battle, a show that had routinely sold out the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York well in advance in past years. It was an annual sellout in the building even before the company’s strong business run started a few years ago".

"The final show of the year was 12/15 in Philadelphia at the 2300 Arena, drawing just 350 fans. That would be the smallest crowd I’ve heard them do in that building, even during down periods in the past".

"Right now there are only two shows scheduled in January, in Atlanta and Charlotte, both cities New Japan is running two weeks earlier which certainly won’t help ROH. Right now they have two shows in February because they had the Japanese shows on the books before New Japan decided not to bring them in, so no word if they’ll do those dates in the U.S., but right now nothing is announced. But it’s been noted ROH has been offering great money and such a light schedule that some are looking at it that ROH is now a good money option, and while you get less notoriety, there is less physical wear-and-tear and that extends your career".
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

How is NJUSA already getting one in on ROH during their very first tour? I wonder if they do end up adding those phantom dates for Honor Rising elsewhere in the year if they can't work anything else out in February. 2020 could be an ugly, ugly year.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

According to roh website Shane Taylor is in negotiating to appear at roh events and Andrew Everett along with rey horus will appear next month and teased danhausen is coming in full time
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Wilson wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:22 am How is NJUSA already getting one in on ROH during their very first tour? I wonder if they do end up adding those phantom dates for Honor Rising elsewhere in the year if they can't work anything else out in February. 2020 could be an ugly, ugly year.
Daves actually wrong (quell surprise) New Japan are running the events two weeks later and only of them in January the other is in Febuary.

Also running limited dates is what ROH needs right now, gives them space and time to build towards the events which they have struggled to do for a while. If they are also looking for a live event planner as Vegas mentioned they might what to hold off on more venues until someone is in. Then when they feel they have enough steam and traction they will do more dates per month.

Its great to hear about Horus and DanHausen, If Everett can ever get over his knee injuries he would such an assist in ring wise to ROH. Shane Taylor coming back certainly won't be a bad thing but it might just be a ploy from ROH of that side of things
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Ecks Files

*Former ROH World Champion Matt Taven underwent successful surgery on his right ankle this week. He suffered the injury at the hands of former best friend Vincent (with an assist from Bateman) at Final Battle in Baltimore on Dec. 13 when Vincent placed a wooden block between Taven’s feet and smashed his ankle with a chair.
There is no timetable for Taven’s return to the ring at this time.

*Shane Taylor’s future in ROH is unclear following his loss of the ROH World Television Title to Dragon Lee at Final Battle. ROH officials are in negotiations with Shane Taylor Promotions to have him compete at upcoming ROH events.

*In case you missed this past weekend’s episode of “Ring of Honor Wrestling,” Taven’s former Kingdom teammate TK O’Ryan delivered a heartfelt message to the fans regarding his future in pro wrestling.

O’Ryan revealed that he suffered a head injury several months ago and isn’t sure if he will ever wrestle again. He said if he does return to the ring it will be in ROH and he’ll be “a man that everyone can be proud of.”

*Shane Taylor’s future in ROH is unclear following his loss of the ROH World Television Title to Dragon Lee at Final Battle. ROH officials are in negotiations with Shane Taylor Promotions to have him compete at upcoming ROH events.

*Dragon Lee will make his first title defense in Atlanta against an opponent to be determined.

*Former ROH World Champion RUSH, will get his title rematch against new champion PCO in Atlanta.

*Former Shimmer Champion Nicole Savoy came to Women of Honor to prove herself, but things have already gotten personal. After Savoy scored an impressive win over former WOH World Champion Sumie Sakai at Final Battle Fallout in her debut, both she and Sakai were attacked by The Allure (Love and Mandy Leon).

Savoy is signed to compete in Atlanta and Concord.

*Also signed for Atlanta and Concord are Rey Horus and Andrew Everett.

Horus had a strong showing in defeat in his ROH debut against Flip Gordon at Final Battle Fallout. Everett, a semifinalist in the 2014 Top Prospect Tournament, last competed in ROH at Survival of the Fittest in November 2018.

*Former WCW star Crowbar made a positive impression on ROH officials with his performance against Eli Isom at Final Battle Fallout in a match taped for an upcoming episode of “Ring of Honor Wrestling.” The door is open for the eccentric veteran (and his equally eccentric entourage) to appear at more ROH shows in 2020.

*ROH ended 2019 with a bang at Final Battle weekend, and 2020 undoubtedly is going to be a very exciting year for the company. We’ve already seen some new faces as of late, and I’m hearing that there will be more in the coming months.

In fact, you never know who might show up in Ring of Honorhausen in 2020.
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:47 pm
Wilson wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:02 pm My first instinct is to read the backstage production as "fly by seat of their pants" rather than it being in a toxic imbroglio of selfish creative control. I can believe four inexperienced (as showrunners) VPs and Tony and other producers would have a lot of struggle over in creating two hour shows indefinitely. And I think three months on TV is too short a time for very many workers on the roster to find themselves in low morale.
They’ve got too much planned as opposed to organic booking and seeing how fans react. That’s my view.
monster mafia wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:25 pm Dark order..

Lol
Yes... but at least the Smash Bros are good. I'm really worried about ROH's dark clown stable. Just the idea of Delirious booking a Vincent-led faction is exhausting to me.
Clowns are scary and so is the prospect of delirious booking another year.
[/quote]

Most bookers have stuff planned and go with it. Gabe did that with ROH and does it now. Talking to friends I have who are in the wrestling business. Most bookers plan things out.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

- PWInsider reports that ROH has been talking about using the Bullet Club, likely the Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tonga Loa), during their Wrestlemania week events in Lakeland, Florida.

– Speaking of ROH, there are currently no plans for a return to the Hammerstein Ballroom.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Captain_44 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:14 am
Wilson wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:02 pm My first instinct is to read the backstage production as "fly by seat of their pants" rather than it being in a toxic imbroglio of selfish creative control. I can believe four inexperienced (as showrunners) VPs and Tony and other producers would have a lot of struggle over in creating two hour shows indefinitely. And I think three months on TV is too short a time for very many workers on the roster to find themselves in low morale.
They’ve got too much planned as opposed to organic booking and seeing how fans react. That’s my view.
monster mafia wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:25 pm Dark order..

Lol
Yes... but at least the Smash Bros are good. I'm really worried about ROH's dark clown stable. Just the idea of Delirious booking a Vincent-led faction is exhausting to me.
Most bookers have stuff planned and go with it. Gabe did that with ROH and does it now. Talking to friends I have who are in the wrestling business. Most bookers plan things out.
[/quote]

Very true, and having sat in on those meetings of the like myself, I get it. No perfect process but sometimes you gotta dial it back and be flexible.
Captain Podcast
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:25 pm
Captain_44 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:14 am

Very true, and having sat in on those meetings of the like myself, I get it. No perfect process but sometimes you gotta dial it back and be flexible.
[/quote]

I fully agree 100 percent. You have to be flexible.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

This is sad, via PWI:

"There are no current ROH plans for a Hammerstein Ballroom return, according to a source at the venue".
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

welcome back terminal 5.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Whatever is actually going on with Shane, at the very least they are doing well in promoting the angle. (Hope he is getting paid now more than he was before.)
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I'm going to change my username to mr roh pr but anyways it really seem roh is keeping their major players and adding a few good names
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

AlexROH wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:55 pm This is sad, via PWI:

"There are no current ROH plans for a Hammerstein Ballroom return, according to a source at the venue".
This is a major bummer if true.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

maybe another venue in nyc?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

They can't sell 1800 seats right now so there's no reason to book Hammerstein. Doesn't mean they won't if business picks back up.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Selfishly, I hope ROH uses somewhere in New Jersey like the Rahway Rec Center. I'd love for them to use some if the venues that NXT uses like in Asbury Park or Toms River. They may look better on tv.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Impact and MLW run Melrose Ballroom. That could be an option.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:09 pm Impact and MLW run Melrose Ballroom. That could be an option.
Melrose Ballroom has 2 big negatives: you have to use a tiny ring to fit the floor and its a bit of a pain in the ass to get to.