Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
kovs27

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by kovs27 »

monster mafia wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:41 pm so at this point, nobody cares about final battle, right?
As someone who will be attending Final Battle, I really don't care. The bigger picture issues with who is in charge of the company is a bigger deal.

There is a part of me that thinks I might be attending the last 2 ROH shows ever.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Ironically the best feud all year has been Joey vs Greg.... I say put them in a cage and have them main event Final Battle. That may sell some tickets. By the way they are promoting the event, you would think that would be the match to see.

Kidding aside... I'll catch Final Battle on Honorclub, then my membership runs down. Hard to invest in another year of Honorclub VIP at the moment with the current regime in charge. I don't know what their gameplan is, but it better be good to dig out of the hole they dug themselves.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

It wouldn’t be hard to gain focus back on the company in a good way.

Simply announce you’ve fired Gregg, apologise for how you dealt with the Kelly Klein situation and ‘rehire’ her, the pop she would get at Final Battle would honestly be awesome, say you are going to and actually implement the concussion protocols, medic and security at all events. Tell the fans we are going to do better.

Then announce a Marty match and that two or three people are staying. Bang everyone’s happier and can go about their business again. It would at least be a start.

There are things that must be happening because there have been no other matches announced for Final Battle or the Philly show.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Fact that higher ups are staying silent and they basically sent out talent (like Silas) to provide their side of the story is a bad sign, I think. At the moment I wouldn't be surprised if Greg is not fired and nothing changes.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

If they do nothing it’s done as a promotion, all of this is far to public. Attendance was bad enough when people didn’t know about this. If they think enough people will come with all of this going on they are deluded, if they think Silas young can appease people enough to come they are wrong. No one is going to take the managements side in this from outside of the company and that’s the most important view. They seem to think wrestling to a crowd of five is perfectly acceptable which I find for a business of any sort baffling.

You would think crisis management would kick in and Koff would simply just hang people out to dry. It’s much easier to do. I don’t know if it’s loyalty, laziness or stupidness either one isnt proper for this situation right now.

It’s sad too think that people’s hubris will end the 17 years of a promotion. Unfortunately people can be inherently selfish and stupid.

I hate this, especially after being a fan for so much of my life, but if they do nothing ROH deserves to end. I wouldn’t want it to go on.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:55 am
TYFDK wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:11 am
Montana wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:30 am Outside looking in, if looking for a good communicator Colt is probably the ideal guy for Joey’s role. Alex Shelley is another educated guy, that could do good things. ROH has tons of talent, they just need to utilize it.
They should hire Shelley literally to cut promos and stand at gorilla every show to make sure every wrestler is okay after their matches.
Alex is not going to want to do anything full time.
Who said anything about full time?
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

TYFDK wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:09 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:55 am
TYFDK wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:11 am

They should hire Shelley literally to cut promos and stand at gorilla every show to make sure every wrestler is okay after their matches.
Alex is not going to want to do anything full time.
Who said anything about full time?
You literally wrote “every show”
Captain Podcast
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

I'm not sure if 30 shows a year is really a full time gig.
AnHonorableMention

Lynx wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:35 am I'm not sure if 30 shows a year is really a full time gig.
When you factor in double shots, travel days it most definitely becomes a full time gig when you can’t find another job that gives you flex time. Many wrestlers suffer from this.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

BurningHammer wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:51 pm It wouldn’t be hard to gain focus back on the company in a good way.

Simply announce you’ve fired Gregg, apologise for how you dealt with the Kelly Klein situation and ‘rehire’ her, the pop she would get at Final Battle would honestly be awesome, say you are going to and actually implement the concussion protocols, medic and security at all events. Tell the fans we are going to do better.

Then announce a Marty match and that two or three people are staying. Bang everyone’s happier and can go about their business again. It would at least be a start.

There are things that must be happening because there have been no other matches announced for Final Battle or the Philly show.
Seems like a common sense/easy solution. Seems like Greg is the biggest culprit, and needs to be dealt with.

I’m on the fence with rehiring Kelly. Part of me, she crossed the line. The other part of me says ROH needs some good publicity.

Even with all these steps, I think that probably gets you back to where they were in say July/Aug 2019. Certainly a big step in the right direction, but they need to fix other areas too. The TV show, the website, and Honorclub are all not hitting the target. They need to run smaller venues and restructure ticket prices. Hunter had a decent run as booker, but they need some fresh ideas. Etc removing Greg seems like it will only fix half their problems.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

It might be good publicity, but she just isn't good enough to be the key player in WoH. She should be moved out of the title picture for good and if you do that then people will just start talking about how RoH is punishing her.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:49 am
BurningHammer wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:51 pm It wouldn’t be hard to gain focus back on the company in a good way.

Seems like a common sense/easy solution. Seems like Greg is the biggest culprit, and needs to be dealt with.

I’m on the fence with rehiring Kelly. Part of me, she crossed the line. The other part of me says ROH needs some good publicity.

Even with all these steps, I think that probably gets you back to where they were in say July/Aug 2019. Certainly a big step in the right direction, but they need to fix other areas too. The TV show, the website, and Honorclub are all not hitting the target. They need to run smaller venues and restructure ticket prices. Hunter had a decent run as booker, but they need some fresh ideas. Etc removing Greg seems like it will only fix half their problems.

Oh there is a huge amount to be done to ROH regardless with of him leaving. I do think there a few things that are happening with regards to TV etc, just looking at certain instagrams and who’s now apart of TV production I think we are going to see new things. Ideas Like the special with Briscoes on Fox, which just came at the wrong time os a great use of Fox. At the moment you are just looking to gain some positive vibe for the show and hopefully actually create a positive culture in ROH for all talent rather than being run on favourites. If he is replaced with a strong experienced name, they may be able to show Koff that other changes need to be made in certain areas.

I’m certainly not a fan of Kelly Klein as a wrestler (now matter much I support her in this situation) but if you want to actually create a positive star in ROH use this. It could actually be a women’s match in ROH with legitimate emotion in her next title defence which I imagine would be Maria. I think that’s something that is really missing in women’s match in ROH genuine emotion, Kelly would carry it for a good while in her matches.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

chances are she'd reject the offer and just go to AEW.

They need to push FB every chance they can. The lack of build is garbage.
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

Looks like Klein is the feature of a story in SI next week.

https://www.si.com/.amp/wrestling/2019/ ... ssion=true
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

Joey’s latest. Sounds like he’s running out of steam.

https://twitter.com/JOEYnRetrograde/sta ... 65985?s=20
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Wrestlingisback wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:22 am Joey’s latest. Sounds like he’s running out of steam.

I think he’s probably spoken to a couple of people and they feel he might be hurting the situation now. He also might be regretting his ‘attack’ towards an ‘innocent’ party last night.

Wether or not Joey’s role in this end publicly, he’s done something which no one in the media so far have dared do. I’m grateful, I know that, It’s up to Newsweek and the other worrying stories to be told by other people now. Hopefully he can get healthy and feel like he has done something right.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Colette Arrand's one of the best critics in wrestling. She's now written two pieces on Joey's leaks about the management of the company.

From her most recent piece on Fanbyte:
https://www.fanbyte.com/wrestling/what- ... or-part-2/
A significant amount of coverage on this subject has focused on whether or not Joey Mercury is well—his Twitter feed now is a sea of derogatory messages about drug use, mental instability, and negative feedback—but his tweets about wasted talent read to me like somebody with a significant amount of experience handling talent expressing justifiable frustration in his employers’ lack of vision, coupled with his rage over how Klein’s concussion and other injuries were handled by the company. Klein, for her part, has continued to tweet that she hopes fans continue to support Ring of Honor and her comrades who worked there, but as the instigating whistleblower of this story, Mercury is under no obligation to be polite in his misgivings about the company.

As a subsidiary of a broadcast conglomerate that uses it as a cheap means of filling hours in syndication, Ring of Honor isn’t likely to change things up too much. If the company does well, that’s great news, but otherwise it’s a toy sitting in the darkest corner of Sinclair Broadcast Group’s closet, gathering dust when it could be making money. What’ll be interesting to watch, beyond the Twitter accounts of those involved, is how ROH reacts now that its problems are in a venue like Newsweek. If the only consequence is that Klein had her contract pulled while recovering from a concussion, that’s not simply going to disappear. But Ring of Honor has had a habit of making these errors before, and as long as it can survive them, the question is whether or not they care enough to correct course. Right now, that answer appears to be no.
AnHonorableMention

BurningHammer wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:35 am
Wrestlingisback wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:22 am Joey’s latest. Sounds like he’s running out of steam.

I think he’s probably spoken to a couple of people and they feel he might be hurting the situation now. He also might be regretting his ‘attack’ towards an ‘innocent’ party last night.

Wether or not Joey’s role in this end publicly, he’s done something which no one in the media so far have dared do. I’m grateful, I know that, It’s up to Newsweek and the other worrying stories to be told by other people now. Hopefully he can get healthy and feel like he has done something right.

He’s slowed down because SI and other mainstream media have picked up the story. If he gave all the cheese away for free nobody pays for the wine.
Captain Podcast
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:31 pm

He’s slowed down because SI and other mainstream media have picked up the story. If he gave all the cheese away for free nobody pays for the wine.
I'm not saying that wasn't one of the reasons, I just think he may have felt regretful how far it went the other night. Could be wrong and he is simply going to let others take the course of action needed. My hope is that there will be a position that cant come back from soon, but think it could take a while.
AnHonorableMention

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:02 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:31 pm

I'm not saying that wasn't one of the reasons, I just think he may have felt regretful how far it went the other night. Could be wrong and he is simply going to let others take the course of action needed. My hope is that there will be a position that cant come back from soon, but think it could take a while.
He clearly was in an extended manic state during the bulk of the tweets, we’ll see if he’s shifted downwards. All I know is I wish Joey the best in his time of struggle.
Captain Podcast