Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
IanRiccaboni

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by IanRiccaboni »

monster mafia wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:05 am So WrestleMania weekend is a "no" for roh next year?
This has been floating around today. It is not true.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

IanRiccaboni wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:10 am
monster mafia wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:05 am So WrestleMania weekend is a "no" for roh next year?
This has been floating around today. It is not true.

Thanks for the clarification Ian, you are great
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Updates about Lethal and King injuries:
Jay Lethal, who suffered a broken arm during the final night of the Honor United UK tour last weekend, is hoping to be back for the Final Battle pay-per-view on Dec. 13 in Baltimore.

Lethal and Jonathan Gresham are scheduled to challenge Jay and Mark Briscoe for the ROH World Tag Team Title at the show.

ROH World Television Champion Shane Tayor will replace Lethal at The Experience in Pittsburgh on Nov. 2. In a matchup determined by fan voting, it will either be ROH World Champion RUSH and Taylor against Matt Taven and Dalton Castle, or RUSH and Castle versus Taven and Taylor.

Coincidentally, masked luchador El Lethal also suffered an injury recently while competing on an “outlaw” show in Mexico. He had been scheduled to team with fellow masked luchador El Jefe Cobbo against Delirious and Mini Delirious in a Loser Loses Mask tag team match at ROH Unauthorized in Columbus, Ohio, Nov. 3.

El Lethal will be replaced by a mysterious masked luchador known as El Villainisto.

In even more injury news, Brody King of Villain Enterprises suffered a knee injury in the UK and will miss this weekend’s shows in Pittsburgh and Columbus. He will return at Final Battle.

Villain Enterprises will still defend their ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Title at The Experience against three opponents selected by fan voting. ROH officials are allowing “The Villain” Marty Scurll and PCO to select a one-night-only replacement for King.

The match pitting King and Scurll against Taylor and a mystery partner at Unauthorized will be replaced by a new match involving Taylor. Unauthorized host and matchmaker Colt Cabana will reveal the matchup the night of the show.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Overall thoughts from last night were that it was a show that ROH thinks about long term booking but in the wrong moments. A lot of the matches would have been well placed probably just after the Canada stop. I have certainly had a mixture of worried and as usual there is something there dammit. It’s like I am seeing a company try and break away from shackles to embody something new but it draws a fan base that had been far to use to something else and can’t relax into it or can’t quite connect with it because it doesn’t deliver this shock and awe wrestling.

Case in point the Gresham vs Haskins match, I have never felt a great wrestling feel so cold, not concentrated watching but cold, it was only for a minute or two but you can tell an ROH audience just isn’t used to it anymore. I still enjoyed the match it was maybe just too detailed. The finish I liked just because it should happen more often but again it might have been too clever. Gresham has a new entrance theme much more like his CCK one and it just about works, again there is a slow beginning portion that needs got away with.

Cobb and Lee made me want to see more from them both again for sure, was a great opener just needed a little bit longer or and to be a bit cleaner. Both Lee and RUSH work at a pace unlike any in ROH, it really stands out they just want to go, go, go.

Master and Machine talent wise are improving every time I see them but their gimmick is just too much, stick master under a mask and change their gear slightly and they could really go somewhere. Enjoyed the match which I didn’t think I would, the crowd just didn’t feel M&M unfortunately and it stuck too the match.

I enjoyed the choose the partner tag match and thought it built well, everyone looked good and I think RUSH is starting to get what works for a ROH audience to get the fans to believe in you. I Can’t deny how flat a crowd feels after Taylor wins unfortunately. Which really sucks as he deserves a much better reaction.

Flip vs Williams was very similar to the Las Vegas match. I think if you had this matches pacing and brawl in the crowd in the Las Vegas match, the matter would be a blow away great match. When they went too the crowd it felt almost unnatural as it so rarely happens but I think it’s a great way to connect the audience to the match and should happen more often. The interference from Bateman I thought was fine though I do kind of wish it was with someone else, say Haskins instead of Bully Ray, you then connect both members of LifeBlood with VE.

The heel turn of Vinny was nearly well done until his entrance song hit and they did that stupid camera shit (that was so cheap and bad). I think the idea of him being able to sucker people believing he was hurt is an interesting one for his character. Splitting up the Kingdom is the best thing possible or at least it will be if recreating it with talent that would really get over is on the cards. It should have happened long ago really, both the reaction here and in UK to Taven is a real positive recently.

Seeing Dan Maff last night was great and he looks in pretty great shape while also having awesome gear. Like so many entrance songs you could just cut out the beginning and rev up the middle portion and it would be a great theme. Have a feeling will be seeing more of him too. The 3 man tag match was well thought out considering all involved, PCO continues to worry me more and more these days, especially for his match with RUSH. I’m just wondering if they have something planned.

I think It was very similar to what I had seen in the UK, there were bits that worked, bits that didn’t. ROH close to finding something but just not quit. If Maff is added along with Bateman, Flamita, Fletcher, Kidd, Lee and Rampage while keeping the much better talent in ROH you have a really well balanced roster.

We need the right decisions to made in management now, it would lift so many fans I think and create a much better atmosphere for everyone.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Personally i'd REALLY liked the show last night. Cobb/Lee as an opener probably had a 3.25+ match, and that could have been the worse match of the night. Just about every match, got a little better, or at least something different. The fans were pretty into it the whole night, despite a small crowd. Also all my stipulations won (except the 6 man contenders, only had Colt)

Very surprised with the main event... I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this,
Spoiler: show
Villain Enterprises retained the 6 man championship!!!
I find that very interesting and hopefully leads to some big news for ROH.

Cobb/Lee - 3.25+
Briscoes vs. Master & Machine - 3.5+
4 Way (Guerrero, Isom, Black, King) 3.75+ (Even Kenny King got a chant!)
Gresham/Haskins 4.25 (Loved the booking in this match)
Rush/Taylor vs. Castle/Taven - 3.5+
Flips/ Williams 3.5 (Fun car crash)
6 man - 3.75 - Good all around

Kingdom storyline
I really liked this... not often in wrestling can you say you are generally surprised, AND makes sense. Leads to a hot storyline for Final Battle, (that the company really needs). How will TKO play into this... this could be a pretty good storyline the next few months.
Other Final Battle thoughts
So far we have:
Rush/PCO (lacks storyline/build)
Briscoes vs. Gresham/Lethal (Should be really good... Main event potential)

Likely
Matt Taven vs. Vincent - No DQ potentially
Shane Taylor vs. Dragon Lee (Or Maybe Joe Hendry)
Batman vs. T. Williams -
Haskins vs. Bully Ray
Klein vs. Mandy/Love/Maria??

Remaining Top Talent:
Marty? , Brody King? FLip
Cobb?
Bandido? & PJ Black
Castle
Shelly
Colt Cabana
Kenny King
Silas Young/Josh Woods
Bouncers

How awesome would Mexablood vs. Marty/Flip be. I'll take another round of Cobb/King.

Overall it's an alright card, but i REALLY think with SO MANY free agents heading into 2020, ROH's booking really suffered. Clearly, they are sure if Marty/Cobb/ and some others not in major storylines, would be on the show. For what we have seems like a solid PPV, but not an annual blowoff PPV. Death Before Dishonor was booked poorly because of the talent status, and looks like Final Battle will be the same way. The good news is that DBD was actually a pretty damn good show, and HOPEFULLY going into to 2020 ROH knows who's in vs. out, and can get back to focusing on some solid storylines.

AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

What a great show. I wasn't expecting such a good and easy to watch show. No bad match, everybody worked hard and the crowd has more energy thanks to streamer guy.

ROH The Experience

Cobb vs. DLee ⭐⭐⭐1/2+

Briscoes vs. Máster & Machine ⭐⭐⭐1/4+

Black vs. Guerrero vs. Isom vs. King ⭐⭐⭐1/2

Rush & Taylor vs. Castle & Taven ⭐⭐⭐1/2

[2/3 Falls] Gresham vs. Haskins ⭐⭐⭐⭐ - ⭐⭐⭐⭐1/4

[Last Man Standing] Gordon vs. Williams ⭐⭐⭐3/4

Scurll, PCO & Maff vs. Cabana, Cheese & Cobb ⭐⭐⭐1/4

Final rating: 8/10.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Interesting... I could be wrong but i don't see Marty, Cobb, Shane Taylor, Taven, PCO, Jay Lethal, Gresham,
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Montana wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:52 pm
Interesting... I could be wrong but i don't see Marty, Cobb, Shane Taylor, Taven, PCO, Jay Lethal, Gresham,
https://twitter.com/IanRiccaboni/status ... 7673928704
Montana

Post by Montana »

monster mafia wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:32 pm
Makes sense... Ian is awesome. He feels the complete opposite of SBG management. They feel more corporate, soulless, issuing blanket statements to cover their ass (at least that's the perception they give off). Where as Ian's is like the peoples champ, heart and soul of the company trying to uphold the image and keeping fans open minded.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Are they setting Marty to screw pco at final battle
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

I hope so. I'm not a fan of PCO in this match at all.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

Montana wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:45 pm
monster mafia wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Makes sense... Ian is awesome. He feels the complete opposite of SBG management. They feel more corporate, soulless, issuing blanket statements to cover their ass (at least that's the perception they give off). Where as Ian's is like the peoples champ, heart and soul of the company trying to uphold the image and keeping fans open minded.
Could not agree more strongly that Ian is a huge asset for ROH in pretty tough times right now. I hope Sinclair/management are doing all they need to ensure he is made to feel appreciated and acknowledged as an utterly vital part of the ROH product (and I’d say that even if he wasn’t on the message board!)
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:19 pm Are they setting Marty to screw pco at final battle
This what I've been thinking for a long time, I could be very wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Marty as champ sooner than later.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Unauthorized was such a funny show. Crowd was hot, and, again, the talent worked hard. The talent is there, you just gotta improve the booking and change the office to get some buzz again.

Main event was great, way better than their match last year at WHAT, and it was the tag match; Rush and Dragon Lee should be a regular team because they are so so good.

Comedy matches were fine, specially the ROH All Stars one, with Ian doing the big Elbow Drop and Sinclair emulating Ricky Steamboat hahah.

Guerrero vs. Gresham ⭐⭐⭐1/2

[Loser Must Unmask] El Villainisto & El Jefé Cobbo vs. Delirious & Mini Delirious ⭐⭐3/4

Gordon/Castle/King vs. Cheese/Bouncers ⭐⭐⭐

Mark Briscoe vs. Josh Woods ⭐⭐

Rush/Lee vs. Haskins/Williams ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Cabana/Riccaboni/Gator/Sinclair/Juster vs. Taylor/SOS/Hunt/Jonhson - NR

[Unsanctioned] Maff vs. PCO ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Final rating: 6.75 / 10.
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

McXal wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:36 am
Montana wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:45 pm
Could not agree more strongly that Ian is a huge asset for ROH in pretty tough times right now. I hope Sinclair/management are doing all they need to ensure he is made to feel appreciated and acknowledged as an utterly vital part of the ROH product (and I’d say that even if he wasn’t on the message board!)
I appreciate it! I, for better or worse, get to be the public face of a lot of things. When I came on board, I mentioned I would never talk about anything that involves being creative. This situation right now - I just hope it all sorts out quickly and everybody gets what they want or need out of it. This going to sound diplomatic but there is always room for growth and improvements. That is about as deep as I can go into it. I know as well as anyone that I don't know the full story from any angle so my opinion on whatever percentage of the story I have is not helpful. I like everyone involved in what is going on, too, which makes it extremely difficult.

All I can do, and something I think our locker room is aligned to do, is believe in each other, do our best, and stay positive.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

RING OF HONOR NOW AVAILABLE ACROSS SINCLAIR BROADCAST GROUP’S NEWLY PURCHASED REGIONAL SPORTS NETWORKS

Baltimore, MD (November 1, 2019) –Beginning Friday, November 8, Ring of Honor Wrestling will now air at midnight in the applicable time zones for wrestling fans who receive any of the 21 RSNs that Sinclair acquired earlier this year – and on Marquee when it launches in early 2020.

“The one thing that has always made Ring of Honor so special and able to overcome any hurdle over the past 17 years, is our undeniable commitment to wrestling fans,” said Ring of Honor Chief Operating Officer, Joe Koff. “Gaining distribution with a fixed time every week is a major breakthrough that makes it easier for our audience to find and follow Ring of Honor. We are constantly endeavoring to bring more to our fans, so we are thrilled to have the opportunity to expand our offerings to reach more viewers geographically and offer more programming time for our existing viewers.”

“This is a significant step for Ring of Honor and the Regional Sports Networks and we look forward to delivering more original content to our viewers ” said Jeff Krolik, president of Sinclair’s regional sports networks.

Stay tuned to rohwrestling.com to find out how you can watch Ring of Honor Wrestling every Friday at Midnight in your area on the RSNs!
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Midnight isn't Great but having a set time every week is a step in the right direction.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I wonder what day and time it will be on marquee when it launches since it's going to be on major providers
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:08 pm RING OF HONOR NOW AVAILABLE ACROSS SINCLAIR BROADCAST GROUP’S NEWLY PURCHASED REGIONAL SPORTS NETWORKS

Baltimore, MD (November 1, 2019) –Beginning Friday, November 8, Ring of Honor Wrestling will now air at midnight in the applicable time zones for wrestling fans who receive any of the 21 RSNs that Sinclair acquired earlier this year – and on Marquee when it launches in early 2020.

“The one thing that has always made Ring of Honor so special and able to overcome any hurdle over the past 17 years, is our undeniable commitment to wrestling fans,” said Ring of Honor Chief Operating Officer, Joe Koff. “Gaining distribution with a fixed time every week is a major breakthrough that makes it easier for our audience to find and follow Ring of Honor. We are constantly endeavoring to bring more to our fans, so we are thrilled to have the opportunity to expand our offerings to reach more viewers geographically and offer more programming time for our existing viewers.”

“This is a significant step for Ring of Honor and the Regional Sports Networks and we look forward to delivering more original content to our viewers ” said Jeff Krolik, president of Sinclair’s regional sports networks.

Stay tuned to rohwrestling.com to find out how you can watch Ring of Honor Wrestling every Friday at Midnight in your area on the RSNs!

This literally means nothing. As long as creative is shit, and the fan perception is shit, it's a hamster on a wheel.
Captain Podcast