Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:58 am P. sure Texas shows aren’t happening
Dallas looks in rough shape, and San Antonio isn't much better. It's tough... ROH booked like 7 shows over like 14-16 days. They can barely market their next show, let alone 3 different weekend tours.

I'm sure ticket prices aren't helping. Maybe this will catch upper management's attention. These should be bigger markets, with a fairly recognizable ROH show. I'm sure they'll probably only announced a handful of talent too, for the tag team SOTF tournament.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

monster mafia wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:04 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:22 am
monster mafia wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:04 am please explain.
What is so hard to understand?
You are such a dumbbass..
Probably not a smart response. Tossing out insults is not cool.
Captain Podcast
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:41 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:22 am

What is so hard to understand?
He called me a “dumbbass” in the other thread too. Then edited it out from his post. He’s on one today.
AnHonorableMention

alexsmellzzz wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:29 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:41 pm

He called me a “dumbbass” in the other thread too. Then edited it out from his post. He’s on one today.

Insulting people is the last resort when you don’t have an intelligent response.
Captain Podcast
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Not doubting AnHonorableMention but Texas-based people involved with the tour haven't been told yet.

It was inevitable that ROH attendances would reach a point where it isn't feasible or wise to run them. Texas is obviously a cross country flight. That adds up. It is a real shame as San Antonio was a red hot live market for ROH at one point.

Don't waste your time with monster mafia, guys.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

By Mike Johnson on 2019-10-28 14:28:00

Multiple Ring of Honor sources have confirmed that former ROH Champion Jay Lethal suffered a broken arm at yesterday's Honor United event in Bolton, England.

The injury occurred towards the end of his match with PCO Looking at the bout, it appears to have happened as Lethal shifted as PCO was coming down on him, leading to his arm taking the brunt of the force.

There is no word yet how long Lethal will be out of action.

As previously noted, Brody King also suffered a knee injury over the course of the tour as well.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Shit.

Hopefully Lethal makes it to Final Battle okay.

How serious is King's injury?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Brody, bandido, lethal...shit!!

Really looking forward for that Tag tittle at FB...damn :(
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Hopefully Lethal takes all the time he needs to be healthy and 100%. Trying to turn a negative into a positive maybe ROH can get another member of Schadenfreude to fill in and team with Gresham.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Really sucks about Lethal. Hope recovery goes well.

Interesting comments by ACH. Never heard anyone complain that there was only one "TOP" African American in a company. First off the irony that making the comment, when there is one at the top. Secondly, it's not like ANYONE at the time was saying Cedric/ACH or anyone else on the roster at that point was better than Jay Lethal. Jay Lethal, was ALL AROUND better than ACH/Cedric/most anyone on the roster at the time. I literally can't think of one area of being a pro wrestler, that ACH was better than Jay Lethal at. I really don't care about his issues with WWE/t-shirts... but he should really think about what he says, and realize his opinion, is just his, and not the consensus.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

ACH makes that comment while TV Champ and former 2 time TV Champ Shane Taylor and Kenny King are on the roster
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Montana wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:08 pm Interesting comments by ACH. Never heard anyone complain that there was only one "TOP" African American in a company. First off the irony that making the comment, when there is one at the top. Secondly, it's not like ANYONE at the time was saying Cedric/ACH or anyone else on the roster at that point was better than Jay Lethal. Jay Lethal, was ALL AROUND better than ACH/Cedric/most anyone on the roster at the time. I literally can't think of one area of being a pro wrestler, that ACH was better than Jay Lethal at. I really don't care about his issues with WWE/t-shirts... but he should really think about what he says, and realize his opinion, is just his, and not the consensus.
At least Myles/ACH had the forethought to quickly delete his comments about Lethal, but yeah they were real gross while he knows people are especially reading into his posts. Despite how ROH consistently push some key Black talent, it doesn't mean that the workplace acted appropriately with other Black members on the roster. You would hear a lot of stories about ACH's behavior (to paraphrase: "immaturity," "hyperactivity") when he started really getting known, and it's tough to know if that kind of perception would have stuck if he were white. People like Darby, Janela, and Riddle are all outspoken and have different personalities than you would expect from wrestlers working in major promotions. No one ever talks about them as "bad fits" or unprofessional. Even the usually very sober Kevin Steen talked about him like he was a brat, so I imagine his general reputation wasn't that hot, which sucks to think about. Also, it feels foolish to tease out a deleted tweet, but maybe Myles/ACH never accepted that Lethal played the company role man because of the baggage he might associate with that, or maybe they have bad histories.

As far as on-screen material goes, ROH does comparatively well pushing Black talent. Some of that earns ROH praise, but mostly I find it damning from the wrestling industry.

Lethal getting injured now is such unforgiving timing.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Titus O'Neill supported ACH's overall point but specifically condemned his comments about Jay Lethal and ROH.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wilson wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:20 pm

As far as on-screen material goes, ROH does comparatively well pushing Black talent. Some of that earns ROH praise, but mostly I find it damning from the wrestling industry.
Do they give Black talent belts at higher percentage rates than other promotions? Yes. But I don't think they've done a good job of pushing anyone put Lethal. King has flip-flopped way too many times, and Taylor has been a singles wrestler for three years now and still has no real character and confusing storylines, ACH and Lio Rush, never got anything storyline-wise or character-wise, Cedric's angles were all bad after the Roddy feud ended. Moose never really went anywhere, either.

I don't think that has to do with race as much as it does with general ROH incompetence (the same can be said for many Caucasian wrestlers who were in similar positions on the card), but I don't think it's fair to say that ROH has done a good job of pushing Black wrestlers.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Watched PCO/Lethal to try to see where Lethal's injury happens. As far as I can tell, it looks like it's when Lethal is laid on the mat and PCO does a "PCO bomb" and lands with all of his weight right on top of Lethal.

Hate to be that guy but uhhhhh maybe signing the 51 year old insane person wasn't the best idea?? A guy that wasn't going to get signed anywhere else, except for maybe MLW?

I was worried he'd hurt himself which would be bad enough, but hurting other people, cmon.

We've all SEEN PCO matches, though... is anybody really surprised?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

After breaking his arm yesterday in Great Britain, Jay Lethal was placed in a soft cast and had to delay his flight back home to the United States until he was medically cleared to fly. We are told he was cleared to fly earlier today and will be flying home sometime soon.

Once he returns to the United States, Lethal will be meeting with an orthopedist to set the bone and get him on the road to recovery.

Internally, the hope is Lethal will be able to return for the 12/13 Final Battle PPV, but that is not set in stone.
https://www.pwinsider.com/article/13084 ... e.html?p=1
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

If all works out with Lethal he'll still need a cast at Final Battle but be good to go. With him and Gresham now as heels the cast can help with storytelling.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

The fact that Lethal just carried on, still jawing with the fans, actually making the injury part of his cocky attitude, showed how good the guy is. Still one of the most consistent wrestlers I’ve had the pleasure of watching for a long time now. Having broken my arm before I was told I could get back to real physical contact sport after around a month, it will just depend on how bad the break is and how much muscle waste he will have once the cast comes off. He will likely just be in a cast at a Final and Hell you could even work the cast into the character and story line of him against the Briscoe's or anyone for that matter. Draw it out for a long time.

With PCO I don’t think there is harm in reevaluating how he can be used. As incredible as he is for his age, asking him to work three nights in a row is a lot and I think his body and mind found a tough point to do things safely. ROH is in a slightly tough position now where he is over and he needs and I’m sure wants to used on every show, but I think it’s time to just say let’s make you more special, have him wrestle once maybe twice a month and never exceeding one match in a three/four day tour. I don’t think fans are going to be upset that he can’t work every show. It should be pretty normal for a 51 year old not to be going this shit so many nights a year. It would be more advantageous to create a better roster and matches that people want to enjoy rather than relying on a 51 year old PCO.

Seeing him live for the first time in London I had no idea how quick he could actually move when fresh. So a fresher PCO is the best for everyone.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

With PCO they need to find the right way to use him to limit these kinds of accidents. Night one of a loop, give him a singles, night two/three a tag or four/six way where partners/opponents can carry the load or even a squash.
AnHonorableMention

Will monster mafia apologize? Or will he have “operational conflict”? https://www.rohwrestling.com/news/roh-m ... an-antonio
Captain Podcast