Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Sinclair officially completed buying the fox regional networks
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:21 am Sinclair officially completed buying the fox regional networks
idk much about it....the same fox of smackdown?, can someone explain to me, im not american, thanks.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

It's basically 22 channels dedicated to different parts or region of the States and it's not the same one wwe going on that one is the national channel that you can pick up with antenna
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Sinclair should really just commit to airing ROH on all their platforms unless it really, really wouldn't make sense (like Tennis Channel).

All these RSNs, all their local channels, Stadium, Charge, Comet, TBD, Fite TV, and Honor Club should all air ROH TV on the same night. Same exact timeslot isn't doable but if ROH was on all of those platforms every Sunday or Thursday or whatever, it would be much easier to find.

NJPW basically used ROH's platform to launch their US expansion and it worked.
The Elite used ROH's platform to launch their own promotion and it worked.
Even nutjob Billy Corgan claims to be launching a weekly TV show soon after using ROH's platform.

Maybe Sinclair should use ROH's platform to, I don't know, benefit ROH?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

More local channels that will air ROH at 1am.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Thelone wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:23 pm More local channels that will air ROH at 1am.
ROH's TV penetration prior to this deal was enough to essentially launch NJPW on AXS and also AEW. So more penetration can't be a bad thing even if the timeslots aren't ideal.

Hard to get a primetime slot when your show is available for free, legally, to everybody in the world online.
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

Thelone wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:23 pm More local channels that will air ROH at 1am.
Pretty much. Those networks have deals with regional NBA, NHL and MLB teams to air their games-plus NCAA sports (which can be added to the NCAA conferences Sinclair already had deals with on Stadium). They got the prime time hours covered content wise
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

famicommander wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:29 pm
ROH's TV penetration prior to this deal was enough to essentially launch NJPW on AXS and also AEW. So more penetration can't be a bad thing even if the timeslots aren't ideal.

Hard to get a primetime slot when your show is available for free, legally, to everybody in the world online.
ROH TV did neither of those things. NJPW got AXS because AXS had a key exec who was a huge fan of wrestling and Japanese wrestling in particular. Being the Elite did more for AEW than ROH TV outside of Sinclair footing the production bill for All In
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

It's interesting because Roh has decent time slots on charge and stadium
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I wonder if Byron Allen going to have anything to do with roh if they land on these networks and Allen seems to be over see the content that put on the channels
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Wrestlingisback wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:59 pm
famicommander wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:29 pm

ROH TV did neither of those things. NJPW got AXS because AXS had a key exec who was a huge fan of wrestling and Japanese wrestling in particular. Being the Elite did more for AEW than ROH TV outside of Sinclair footing the production bill for All In
Where do you think all the American Bullet Club fans who started watching Being the Elite first saw the Bullet Club?

Where do you think all the NJPW World subscribers were first exposed to NJPW?

I would bet that the overwhelming majority, in both cases, was that they saw them on ROH.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

famicommander wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:29 pmROH's TV penetration prior to this deal was enough to essentially launch NJPW on AXS and also AEW. So more penetration can't be a bad thing even if the timeslots aren't ideal.
NJPW/Elite sure did penetrate ROH alright.
Granted, NXT isn't free on the Network, but they just got a primetime slot on USA.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

There a few factors it's been suggested sinclair would be moving a lot of the stadium programming to these networks leaving space that needs to be filled on stadium which roh would get that space than when they renegotiate with providers they would make sure stadium and that cubs network would be including in the negotiations
Montana

Post by Montana »

Don't see how this is a bad thing for ROH.... IT's not like a major primetime deal, but im not sure now is the time for that anyway. Hopefully with the increased distribution, they invest more back into the product. Having the TV hype Honor Club seems like the best bet.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

They said those fox channels is projected to bring in 1.9 billion in revenue by the end of the year
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I think for ROH it’s about getting a dedicated time slot, they struggle from having 10-11am to anything from 9-1:00pm that’s hard for any to get viewing traction and a general product, especially in today’s society. I realise regional sports, from College to local NBA, NFL is hard to dislodge from time slots but if they can get a select day and time for these of channels say before 11pm they’ll have a real chance of getting something out of this.

This really should be across the board on all of Sinclair broadcasting as the reach is there people just struggle to find it or like NESN which struggles to show complete episodes. I realise live sport is a different animal especially bigger franchises but ROH should get something better out of this.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:13 pm There a few factors it's been suggested sinclair would be moving a lot of the stadium programming to these networks leaving space that needs to be filled on stadium which roh would get that space than when they renegotiate with providers they would make sure stadium and that cubs network would be including in the negotiations
I did remember hearing/reading Stadium would have a much bigger role to play in ROH’s future in the coming year. What that entails I don’t know, but if Stadium is going to take on a bigger role in Sinclairs packages as a whole ROH being at the front of that won’t be a bad thing.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

They're probably just going to rebrand all these Fox Sports channels to "Stadium Wisconsin" and "Stadium Arizona". Then leave the current Stadium channel alone as the national feed.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I think no matter what roh will benefit