Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by monster mafia »

the International Cup? maybe.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

monster mafia wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:57 pm what do you guys think can be that tournament for final battle... a new tittle? a tournament to determinate a number 1 contender?
I really hope it isn't a new title. There are already too many titles.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

junior tittle or the return of the pure ch...that can be cool but maybe youre right.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

maxx_powerz wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:54 am Cobb signed for Honor United, somewhat surprisingly. So I guess unless he has NJPW bookings he'll still be around for Global Wars and Death Before Dishonor at least.
He really didn't get any wins in G1 that would lead to anything so I think that he is unlikely to return to NJPW any time soon.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Lynx wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:02 am
maxx_powerz wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:54 am Cobb signed for Honor United, somewhat surprisingly. So I guess unless he has NJPW bookings he'll still be around for Global Wars and Death Before Dishonor at least.
He really didn't get any wins in G1 that would lead to anything so I think that he is unlikely to return to NJPW any time soon.
Although Death Before Dishonor is being held at the same time as the NJPW US tour so if Cobb is out of contract there's probably a chance he would take the NJPW bookings depending on his plans.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

It looks like the CMLL Anniversario show will be on the same date as Death Before Dishonor, where one half of last year's Anniversario main event will main event an ROH PPV a year later. The weird wrestling timeline we live in strikes again.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

maxx_powerz wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:09 am
monster mafia wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:57 pm what do you guys think can be that tournament for final battle... a new tittle? a tournament to determinate a number 1 contender?
I think I remember when ROH was advertising the tournament for Honor ReUnited last year that they had said it was going to be more than a one-off. So maybe they do another one during the UK tour in October this year and the winner gets a World or TV title shot at Final Battle instead of the last night of the tour like last year.
I would have thought ROH would have already announced that this was going to a International Tournament like they did last time. I think if they are going to run a tournament like that again I imagine it will be a different country or at least announced already. I certainly could be wrong though

It could be a tournament outside of ROH from say CMLL, New Japan, maybe another promotion I don't know. But the title would be defended at the event.

A pure title or Junior Heavyweight title tournament would make sense, I would say I would be more for the Junior Title really as it's easier title to manage with create matches talent and grasping an audience. It also think it gives ROH a better link with New Japan and CMLL as both are in need of better/newer Junior's and the US has been forgotten about really, you also have to think about how much ROH losses during the New Japan's junior tournaments, it creates a large void of talent in that style of wrestling if you have exciting talent that can take the roles the likes of Marty, Bandido, Gresham leave ROH's roster and cards become much stronger. I would say it would allow ROH to create a possition for more smaller guys, newer guys as a stepping stone to TV then to the World, someone like Jay Lethal back in the day when he first debuted would have really benefited from something like a junior title run.

Signing guys like Williams and Hendry though may point to a pure or say something like a catch style title.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Weight divisions are stupid in wrestling. Especially in ROH, where many of the best world champions would have been considered junior heavyweights.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

BurningHammer wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:41 am
I think I remember when ROH was advertising the tournament for Honor ReUnited last year that they had said it was going to be more than a one-off. So maybe they do another one during the UK tour in October this year and the winner gets a World or TV title shot at Final Battle instead of the last night of the tour like last year.
I would have thought ROH would have already announced that this was going to a International Tournament like they did last time. I think if they are going to run a tournament like that again I imagine it will be a different country or at least announced already. I certainly could be wrong though

I mean, they've only announced one match for Global Wars and no matches for Death Before Dishonor. I get your point in that announcing a tournament will be happening doesn't necessarily give anything away story-line wise so there's no reason not to. But I think it's too soon to tell either way.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I hope it's a tournament for a returning Pure Wrestling Championship.

An eight man field with:
Jonathan Gresham
Jay Lethal
Tracy Williams
PJ Black
Silas Young
Alex Shelley
Caprice Coleman
Colt Cabana

Would be fantastic to watch in my opinion.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

Even Mix tag title is better than Jr. heavyweight title in ROH.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

maxx_powerz wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:52 am
BurningHammer wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:41 am

I mean, they've only announced one match for Global Wars and no matches for Death Before Dishonor. I get your point in that announcing a tournament will be happening doesn't necessarily give anything away story-line wise so there's no reason not to. But I think it's too soon to tell either way.
I know ROH can delay a lot of announcements but from I can remember the international tournament was announced immediately as their second return to UK. It wasn’t just a random thing added to the tour it’s what the tour was about.

It could also be a tournament for WOH title too.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

ROH’s roster is so small. Does every guy need a title? Lol. There’s already titles, there is absolutely no need for more titles. Put the titles on better people and create a realistic hierarchy instead.

They’re definitely not announcing as many matches as they used to. I don’t think it’s a good sign. I’ve had to look on guys twitters to confirm they’ll be at the Vegas PPV. Marty Scurll said he’s going to be there. I’m REALLY hoping we get some special guests that aren’t on the regular roster. There’s a fairly high bar set for the Vegas PPVs and I really hope they don’t disappoint with the one coming up. FSW is running same building on that Sunday and they’ve already confirmed some huge names. Pentagon, Fenix, Matt Sydal, Michael Elgin. Card already sounds better than whatever ROH will do :/
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

What are you going on about, they’ve always been late on announcing cards in fact I’m surprised we already know Taven vs Valdor. Maybe just wait for the TV tapings and upcoming house shows to play because they actually might mean something to the PPV maybe....

Also when you say huge names and mention Elgin and Sydal in the same sentence it’s not exactly a great sign.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:40 am ROH’s roster is so small. Does every guy need a title? Lol. There’s already titles, there is absolutely no need for more titles. Put the titles on better people and create a realistic hierarchy instead.
No, that's definitely what ROH needs right now : MOAR TITLES!!!
BurningHammer wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:44 amAlso when you say huge names and mention Elgin and Sydal in the same sentence it’s not exactly a great sign.
Sydal is meh, but the other three are bigger stars than anyone not named Marty Scurll.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Michael Elgin isn't a star.

Nobody in Impact is a star. MLW Fusion gets 3X more views on Youtube alone every week than Impact gets between Pursuit and Twitch combined. If Elgin were a star, Impact would be pulling more than 20,000 viewers per week.

Jay Briscoe is a bigger star than the entire Impact roster combined.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Thelone wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:54 am
alexsmellzzz wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:40 am ROH’s roster is so small. Does every guy need a title? Lol. There’s already titles, there is absolutely no need for more titles. Put the titles on better people and create a realistic hierarchy instead.
BurningHammer wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:44 amAlso when you say huge names and mention Elgin and Sydal in the same sentence it’s not exactly a great sign.
Sydal is meh, but the other three are bigger stars than anyone not named Marty Scurll.
Ok if that’s what you want to believe no worries, but Elgin hasn’t been anywhere near a ‘star’
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:33 am
Thelone wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:54 am
Ok if that’s what you want to believe no worries, but Elgin hasn’t been anywhere near a ‘star’

Michael Elgin has never been a star and may be one of the worst ROH top guys ever in terms of how he was received by fans and ticket sales, not to mention how the locker room felt. There's a reason ROH didn't fight to keep him, and NJPW had enough.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'm having a hard time following this thread... which is probably bc a lack of information leaked, thus we are trying to guess.

- But a tournament to name a #1 contender for Final Battle is typically Survival of the Fittest, unless something changes.

- Unless i missed it, no where did i see ROH eluding to a new title. Would love a Pure Rules annual tournament, and have recommended it in the past, but like others said ROH doesn't need another Title.

- Last time i checked, Elgin and Sydal weren't draws or major stars. Even if Future stars of Wrestling has a bigger card, at the end of the day, nothing that happens there matters in the wrestling world. It just gives the Impact guys a place to work, as they work for impact every 4-6 weeks between tapings, and thats about it.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Heard this last night ROH signed Anthony Henry, no idea how accurate this is. Also heard the same from Conrad this morning on air with Tony.
Captain Podcast