Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by monster mafia »

not much interesting news in this eck files...maybe the only one was about a tournament for final battle.

https://www.rohwrestling.com/news/final ... ss-returns
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Saw article being passed around in some places about Summerslam weekend attendance and it looks like lots of promotions had really bad attendance with RoH, as it looks, having one of the better ones. But thats not really the point. What I found interesting is that people started explaining why it was a bad weekend and how you know, those promotions drawing 200 people with stuff like Walter/Sekimoto did nothing wrong.

And sure, most of those reasons are valid: too many shows, Summerslam much smaller than WM, happening in Canada, smaller travelling crowd. So funny thing here is that when people started talking about RoH's attendance nobody brought up these reasons, it was oh my RoH is soooo bad, they can't draw for shit, close the shop and things like that. But when others drew bad? Well then, there were some outside reasons for that surely!
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I think supersonic mentioned it in a different thread but while AEW is hot it may make more sense to start piggybacking off their shows rather than WWE.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

According to CageMatch, there was thirteen shows (four of those from WWE) from the 7th to the 13th in Toronto, that's hardly saturation. Looking at those thought, it's not difficult to see why they did abysmal numbers : OWE had two cards with AEW midcarders, wXw's Ambition isn't even that big of a deal when they do it during 16-Carat weekend, Shimmer has been pretty irrelevant for years and of course took a hit from everyone signing whoever was worth anything, and the Smash/wXw/Progress cards didn't have much in terms of big matches besides WALTER/Sekimoto (and I love the guy, but he's not exactly the most well-known even among the hardcore fans).

I mean, what's the excuse for the current pathetic ticket sales in the UK?
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Montana wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:55 am
alexsmellzzz wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:54 am BOLA is such a good look for anybody who is in it. It is THE tournament on the indies. 2nd most important tournament in wrestling, honestly, after the G1.

And these guys will all show out. If you want to see the real talent of all those guys, don't watch ROH, watch BOLA. I think every single one of those matches will be great.
BOLA is a great tournament, with some of the best wrestlers in the in world... the only problem is that in the grand scheme of the wrestling world, it doesn't really hold a ton of weight now a days. PWG barely runs any shows these days, and its basically a good match for the sake of a good match.

ROH on the other hand, actually runs more than a bakers dozen shows in a year. Their belt, actually means something. That's why when someone Like if Matt Taven holds it, people like Alex post about how much he doesn't like it.
Lmaooooooo

On the ROH forum, the ROH belt holds more weight than BOLA.

Buddy, go look at what the prices for BOLA were. And how they sold. Taven can't do that. He'll never be able to sell tickets like that. PWG has a strong brand, that's why. That's also why you would never see Taven in PWG.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:54 am BOLA is such a good look for anybody who is in it. It is THE tournament on the indies. 2nd most important tournament in wrestling, honestly, after the G1.

And these guys will all show out. If you want to see the real talent of all those guys, don't watch ROH, watch BOLA. I think every single one of those matches will be great.
BOLA is a great tournament, with some of the best wrestlers in the in world... the only problem is that in the grand scheme of the wrestling world, it doesn't really hold a ton of weight now a days. PWG barely runs any shows these days, and its basically a good match for the sake of a good match.

ROH on the other hand, actually runs more than a bakers dozen shows in a year. Their belt, actually means something. That's why when someone Like if Matt Taven holds it, people like Alex post about how much he doesn't like it.

As sad as it is, the ROH World Title means literally nothing. It has not meant anything since Cody had it, and even that began the decline once it was very obvious Dalton was winning. Lethal's second run was the last time the belt had significant value.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:35 pm

As sad as it is, the ROH World Title means literally nothing. It has not meant anything since Cody had it, and even that began the decline once it was very obvious Dalton was winning. Lethal's second run was the last time the belt had significant value.
So the Roh title had significant value a few months ago and now it means literally nothing . Ok, got it.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Do you mean Lethal's first run? If any one match was the exact definition of Cody's run if was the Suzuki match. Absolute garbage.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

To be fair they were running out of time, but I doubt that it would have been great match even if they had 20 minutes.
Thelone wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:39 amI mean, what's the excuse for the current pathetic ticket sales in the UK?
Thats not really the point. What I wanted to say is that when RoH fails it is because they are bad, but when other companies fail it is due to some outside reasons.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Cody’s matches were terrible and too me put far more stink on the title than Castle or Taven ever have. If ROH is meant be in an in ring product Cody never showed it, Ive never been more bored than a Cody title match and don’t get me started on the Final Battle main event one of the worst matches I’ve ever seen.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Fénix had travel issues so Taven had a match last Friday for NEW. He defended the ROH World Title against JT Dunn. It was a strong and entertaining match if you ask me. Also it was fun to see Taven working as a babyface.
AnHonorableMention

kovs27 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:30 pm

Do you mean Lethal's first run? If any one match was the exact definition of Cody's run if was the Suzuki match. Absolute garbage.
The long one during the Briscoes feud, so yes the first run. My mind is a tad distracted with work and moving deals. So yes the first run.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Lynx wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:04 pm To be fair they were running out of time, but I doubt that it would have been great match even if they had 20 minutes.
Thelone wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:39 amI mean, what's the excuse for the current pathetic ticket sales in the UK?
Thats not really the point. What I wanted to say is that when RoH fails it is because they are bad, but when other companies fail it is due to some outside reasons.
What other companies are failing at this rate right now?
Captain Podcast
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Dalton had the trigger pulled on him a year too late. He had lost so much steam by the time he won it. Let's throw it on a guy who's leaving instead and then sacrifice our most over babyface for a run that's only good for the 15th Anniversary PPV win.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:09 am
Lynx wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:04 pm To be fair they were running out of time, but I doubt that it would have been great match even if they had 20 minutes.
Impact is pulling 20K viewers per week between TV and Twitch combined, and they just basically put all their eggs in the AXS TV basket and failed.

There are probably more old people falling asleep in front of their TV with ROH on than people watching Impact intentionally.
AnHonorableMention

famicommander wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:55 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:09 am

Impact is pulling 20K viewers per week between TV and Twitch combined, and they just basically put all their eggs in the AXS TV basket and failed.

There are probably more old people falling asleep in front of their TV with ROH on than people watching Impact intentionally.

Impact never had the ceiling ROH did. I wouldn’t include them at the level of wwe, aew and roh where exclusive talent is locked in.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

what do you guys think can be that tournament for final battle... a new tittle? a tournament to determinate a number 1 contender?
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Cobb signed for Honor United, somewhat surprisingly. So I guess unless he has NJPW bookings he'll still be around for Global Wars and Death Before Dishonor at least.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

monster mafia wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:57 pm what do you guys think can be that tournament for final battle... a new tittle? a tournament to determinate a number 1 contender?
I think I remember when ROH was advertising the tournament for Honor ReUnited last year that they had said it was going to be more than a one-off. So maybe they do another one during the UK tour in October this year and the winner gets a World or TV title shot at Final Battle instead of the last night of the tour like last year.