Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
indyfan

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by indyfan »

kovs27 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:03 pm I'd rather Haskins vs. Rush for the title at Final Battle 2020. Haskins can play a great underdog babyface and you keep Rush undefeated the whole time.

Maybe this year Rush/Taven in some sort of gimmick match to blow off the feud.
They can't afford to wait until 2020. They need strike. Haskins vs Rush sounds amazing. If its Rush vs Taven, chances are it wont sell
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

indyfan wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:55 am
kovs27 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:03 pm I'd rather Haskins vs. Rush for the title at Final Battle 2020. Haskins can play a great underdog babyface and you keep Rush undefeated the whole time.

Maybe this year Rush/Taven in some sort of gimmick match to blow off the feud.
They can't afford to wait until 2020. They need strike. Haskins vs Rush sounds amazing. If its Rush vs Taven, chances are it wont sell
Well in this scenario I'd have Haskins winning. I'd want Rush to run through the roster for a year and just destroy everyone. I guess Rush could beat Haskins at this Final Battle and Haskins win the rematch a year later. I just don't think there is enough time to build Haskins into that credible challenger to a dominate champion for this year.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Way to early for Haskins in the world title picture, TV title fine he needs that gold but he just hasn't got the run yet to make him a world title guy, plus we've already had RUSH vs Haskins and it was fine and all but you are going to need more for a world title match.

Taven two sounds way more logical right now, I could see it being Jay Briscoe if ROH run it from a tag team angle, plus we still have Gresham that actually has a world title shot coming to him when he so chooses. Depending on who LOS are fueding with it Japan or Mexico it could be someone from there is maybe La Parka but the chances of a screwy finish are high and I don't know if I'm up for that whole crew coming in.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Before ROH meets its inevitable doom, I hope at the very least we get a Briscoes last match type of deal. And one for Jay Lethal too. Those HAVE to happen.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

inevitable doom...savage!
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

A bit early for talk of inevitable doom. I imagine step 1 will be moving to smaller cheaper venues and try to rebuild back to where they once were
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

SBGI reported a net income a net income of $ 341 million in 2018 . I think ROH is safe for now.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

It's tracy Williams and mark haskins vs pco and brody king in Atlanta
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Wrestlingisback wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:47 am A bit early for talk of inevitable doom. I imagine step 1 will be moving to smaller cheaper venues and try to rebuild back to where they once were
If ROH wants to rebuild the brand , they are going to have been become more aggressive in seeking out new talent. If the ROH office is depending on talent from the ROH Dojo , it is going to be a tough rebuilt.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Is there any real top talent that is not signed by wwe aew nwa impact or njpw
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:11 am It's tracy Williams and mark haskins vs pco and brody king in Atlanta
Great match and Wahoo consistent sensible booking that allows for a deeper story told, things are changing, please don't stop.

With regards to talent, it's going to be a wait and see really, the results from the WWE tryouts will be coming up soon and it's meant to be another set of very good talent depleated from the scene. The NWA is obviously making signings and then you've got AEW just becoming a hover too. In the end it's going to end up where everyone has to work with each because the talent isn't there if it continues this way

It may not be what people want but creating your own talent could be the way to get through all of this, It's why Future of Honor is a sensible move. In the end It's just got to be about making sure the talent is credible and the booking then enables them to have the longevity and connection with the fans. It’s Less Cheeseburger more Eli and we've seen w with Isom he is a very good talent but he needs the matches and the booking to get him towards the top, the same for SOS, they look like they can be something stronger to the table, just need a bit of work in ring, Primal Fear are another too once they solidify the characters and presentation. I have no problem with ROH looking in on it's self but if they are going to keep using the buildings they have been, they are going to have to make stronger signings to sumpliment it all. If you don't mind shrinking slightly in presentation but gaining again in traction and other your own talent becoming over then ROH will grow and become more stable than they have been for some time.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Has anyone been seeing the highlights with music from summer supercard
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

It will be chase owens vs pj black vs lsg in Atlanta for a shot at tv title in Nashville
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

Memphis Mark wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:11 am
Wrestlingisback wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:47 am A bit early for talk of inevitable doom. I imagine step 1 will be moving to smaller cheaper venues and try to rebuild back to where they once were
If ROH wants to rebuild the brand , they are going to have been become more aggressive in seeking out new talent. If the ROH office is depending on talent from the ROH Dojo , it is going to be a tough rebuilt.
Between the rumored next NXT class and Cody’s claims the AEW roster is at 40% announced, the Indies are about to be bare. Using the dojo and developing talent may be the only route left for anyone not WWE or AEW. It’s not like ROH, Impact and MLW are going to join forces or something. It’s a fight for survival
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

I think it will all happen a lot sooner than you guys think. They are not getting new guys. Future of Honor guys as a draw is laughable. If less and less people are watching, how do they build them up? How do they build anybody up? They will get more indy guys, sure. But can those guys draw? Does anybody really want to see that anyway? No. Nobody wants to see Josh Woods in ROH main events. They also didn’t want to see Matt Taven in main events either, and look at that Supercard attendance.

Remember guys, that show was a ”Supercard”

Where were all the people? They actually had a decent lineup and STILL the venue looked empty and sad.

I like ROH just as much as the next guy, but they’re giving me less and less reasons to care. I would love to get invested in the upcoming Vegas PPV since I’ll be front row. But guess what, they’re running out of guys to put on that show. New Japan will have everybody on the east coast tour. I can guarantee you it will be the weakest Sam’s Town card yet. And it sucks. I have been front row in Vegas since 2014 when the show had ACH vs AJ Styles on it. Now it’s Matt Taven. I want to care. It’s just so hard.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:01 am I think it will all happen a lot sooner than you guys think. They are not getting new guys. Future of Honor guys as a draw is laughable. If less and less people are watching, how do they build them up? How do they build anybody up? They will get more indy guys, sure. But can those guys draw? Does anybody really want to see that anyway? No. Nobody wants to see Josh Woods in ROH main events. They also didn’t want to see Matt Taven in main events either, and look at that Supercard attendance.

Remember guys, that show was a ”Supercard”

Where were all the people? They actually had a decent lineup and STILL the venue looked empty and sad.

I like ROH just as much as the next guy, but they’re giving me less and less reasons to care. I would love to get invested in the upcoming Vegas PPV since I’ll be front row. But guess what, they’re running out of guys to put on that show. New Japan will have everybody on the east coast tour. I can guarantee you it will be the weakest Sam’s Town card yet. And it sucks. I have been front row in Vegas since 2014 when the show had ACH vs AJ Styles on it. Now it’s Matt Taven. I want to care. It’s just so hard.
You do realise the likes of ACH and AJ Styles were ‘Indy’ guys at one point in their careers and found their way to ROH and stardom. I think even ROH will tell you Josh Woods isn’t going to main event material, he’s there to filll a role.

Honestly none of us know of if Future of Honor, it could be abject failure or they could find the next ACH, AJ, why not. I think we’ve just got to a point of you don’t like ROH you don’t like it, no one is forcing anyway to, ROH is trying new things and obviously wants a fan base of its own and is trying to find its way in this wrestling world without New Japan thankfully.

And if RUSH vs Taven isn’t a main event you want then that’s just on you really as overall it’s a great main event with history and value.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think ROH has been run so conservatively that they can absorb a tough year or two without much trouble.

Being so conservative is a big reason why they're in this mess in the first place, but it's also what's probably going to see them through it. Attendance is down but salaries have got to be down a lot too with how many people they've lost.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Wrestlingisback wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:43 am
Memphis Mark wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:11 am
Between the rumored next NXT class and Cody’s claims the AEW roster is at 40% announced, the Indies are about to be bare. Using the dojo and developing talent may be the only route left for anyone not WWE or AEW. It’s not like ROH, Impact and MLW are going to join forces or something. It’s a fight for survival
Well there is still talent out there. You just have to put out some effort and scout . Also , SBGI should just buy Impact from Anthem. That would help rebuilt the roster rather quickly . I suspect Impact could be purchase if SBGI just made a decent offer.

The real problem is not NXT or AEW , it is ROH 's bumbling booker and his " team " ROH needs new leadership. Also wrestlers are not loyal . Talent will work for whoever pays the most. Thee is no loyalty in wrestling. It just a business like anything else.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Talent . Bring back Jimmy Rave and Prince Nana. Add in Kyle the Beast and Alex Shelly and you have the return of the Embassy . Get your toilet paper ready.

You can bring in the Doom Patrol to work with Briscoes. Money feud.

Bring in Joey Lynch . Awesome and overlooked talent . That is off the top of my head .

More free agents. Eric Watts , Barrett Brown , Clayton Gainz , Schaff , Artemis Spencer , Jaxon Stone. , Tyler Bateman , Tony Deppen , AJ Gray , John Silver , Alex Reynolds, Steve Manders , Arik Royal , Dom Garrinni , Bear Country , Butcher and the Blade , Besties in the World , Alexander James , Alex Zayne , R.D. Evans , Nick Gage , Robert Anthony , Kobe Durst , Craig Mitchell , Pat Monix , Tim Donst , Logan Easton LaRoux , Daniel Makabe , Fred Yehi , AC Mack , O'Shay Edwards , Drew Adler , Harlem Bravado , Tracer X , Erik Stevens and many more. Also think the Dirty Blondes. Parrow and Odinson are available.

I am not saying all the guys are great . However they are bound to be keepers in the bunch . I spent about 15 minutes on this list. i sure they are twice as many guys that I did not list.

Plus all of the NXT and AEW signees will not survive. The release should start in the next 6 months or so.

My point is that the ROH office should be scouting talent on this level and bringing them in for tryouts . Just depending solely on the ROH Dojo for the future won't work. Just my take.
Last edited by Memphis Mark on Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

famicommander wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:01 pm I think ROH has been run so conservatively that they can absorb a tough year or two without much trouble.

Being so conservative is a big reason why they're in this mess in the first place, but it's also what's probably going to see them through it. Attendance is down but salaries have got to be down a lot too with how many people they've lost.
Financially yes, they can probably tolerate a couple down years, but from a fan base getting those fans back that become lapsed is a death sentence.
Captain Podcast