Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Memphis Mark

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Memphis Mark »

The ROH office should have given the book to Rhodes . Did Eddie Graham give the book to Bubba Douglas, Jack Hart or Gordon Nelson ? No , Graham gave the book to Dusty Rhodes. Dust was the man that drew money for Graham.

Did Jerry Jarrett make Plowboy Frazier, Don Bass or Tommy Gilbert the booker ? No he split the booking duties between his two top stars Jerry Lawler and Bill Dundee . Lawler was a partner in the promotion.

Rhodes and his elite crew were the top draws in ROH . It was the right business move to give Rhodes the book and a position in SBGI management.. Instead Joe Koff was loyal to a mid-card comedy act that never drew a dime. Well now ROH is paying for their foolishness . Wrestling is a business not the Boy Scouts. Rhodes had all of the leverage and he knew it. Cannot blame Rhodes and his crew if the the ROH office does not under the business.

Jim Cornette has been proven right about Greg and to a lesser degree Koff. These guys are outsiders that really do not seemed to understand the culture of the wrestling business. If , SBGI corporate was smart they would try to bring back Kevin Kelly to straight out this mess. They could make Kelly the ROH President and he could hire a team to turn the promotion around.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I have said Joe koff and delirious doesn't know how to present a wrestling company
Montana

Post by Montana »

My guess is we are doing a lot of speculating with ROH potentially giving Rhodes the book with lots of variables.

If i had to guess would be that Rhodes wanted a hell of a lot more than just the book. I'm thinking he wanted ROH to grow faster than what SBG wanted (On SBG dime). Creative control, and drive the company into more what AEW is. Move to a bigger network, etc. SBG wasn't ready to take a risk, on a company that's been healthy and growing for 17 years. I imagine Cary Silken also weighed in on this, and i don't think Cody's vision is the same as ROH's past/present vision. I'm guessing at least half the locker room did not want Cody/Elite to get control of the book. I'm also sure Rhodes/Bucks wanted a heavy cut of the merchandise , which they probably would have gotten.

Ironically, if ROH were to close, i would have to say Cody Rhodes is directly responsible. Kind of wish i had a crystal ball to see how AEW/ROH/WWE and all the others pan out in the future... but looking back into history it's easy to say what a company should have done. I'm not sold on Cody's AEW vision either. I'll give them a hell of a lot of credit for what they've done thus far. THey are def going big or going home, in my opinion. Part of me wants them to succeed, the other part wants me to see him/"cody" crash and burn.

Long story short... if the idea was discussed, i'm not it was not an easy decision.
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:41 am Aew having a very good day, roh’s office is not. That’s all I can say for now
So if you were just referring to AEW first show ticket sales, how would ROH's office be mad now and not the last 8 months? Double or Nothing and All Out both sold really well... and AEW has a ton of momentum. Why would ROH's office not think the first show on TNT not sell well? Seems like something you just could have said.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I think you are seeing a turnover in the office intentionally or not it's happening only question is if koff going to keep his job
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Montana wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:56 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:41 am Aew having a very good day, roh’s office is not. That’s all I can say for now
So if you were just referring to AEW first show ticket sales, how would ROH's office be mad now and not the last 8 months? Double or Nothing and All Out both sold really well... and AEW has a ton of momentum. Why would ROH's office not think the first show on TNT not sell well? Seems like something you just could have said.

The sense of entitlement and non-confidence in AEW succeeding is jarring from upper ROH management. Koff, not sure what his views specifically are but everyone under him was rather skeptical this would stay strong.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Shane Taylor cut a promo on t.v. this week knocking the lifeblood faction saying why is Tracy Williams in lifeblood because his previous company he worked for tried to put roh out of business and asked him if he couldn't evolve fast enough is that why he came to roh
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Taylor’s very good promo

https://youtu.be/-ZSXqMIUUw0
Last edited by Wilson on Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: reformatted youtube link
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:03 am I think you are seeing a turnover in the office intentionally or not it's happening only question is if koff going to keep his job
Clearly you don’t understand how this works
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

What I'm saying is people in the office are leaving for wwe or aew which means their going to have to replace them it's still be determined if their replace are better or not
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Lot's of interesting points being made recently. My 2 cents...
  • There has been a shift back to "RoH Classic" recently; however, an internal change is past due. I struggle to think of the last compelling story or character development that was office driven and not individual talent driven.
  • Current booking doesn't get the credit it deserves for the consistent (albeit bland) presentation; Lack of drive-you-away stupid is just as important as bring-you-in exciting, and often just as rare in pro wrestling.
  • A lessening of NJPW talent on the cards without a complete severing of ties may very well be for the best; ROH however, strongly needs someone who can spot and elevate talent, not just showcase those who are already over on their own accord.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Who takes over Joe job and the booking team
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:52 am I have said Joe koff and delirious doesn't know how to present a wrestling company
Delirious wants to present Chikara or DDT . Joe Koff wants to make money without investing serious capital into ROH . The fans want to see Baba's All Japan level work. IMOO, there is your disconnect .
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

People are under the impression sinclair doesn't want to spend money but I think it's available to roh but joe doesn't want to use it because to me either replace delirious and joe or sell it to some other than wwe to put the right people in charge
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

SBGI should sell part of ROH to either Tony Khan or NJPW. AEW and/or NJPW would have streaming , a cable TV deal , regional sports networks and free broadcast TV . SBGI could be a partner in the content present on SBGI platforms , however AEW and/or NJPW would handle the creative side of the business. Everyone wins.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I feel for the last few years joe not showing any drive to grow the company like unless sinclair stopping him roh should be getting international tv deals because if mlw can get them roh can to
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Joe has a full time job training the SBGI marketing team. Unless things have changed ,the day to day is in the hands of Jim Cornette's best friend, Greg.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

So basically roh is ran by people that know business but don't understand how to run a wrestling company
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:24 am What I'm saying is people in the office are leaving for wwe or aew which means their going to have to replace them it's still be determined if their replace are better or not
People have always left. It has nothing to do with Joe Koff. It happened in every era of ROH.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:06 pm People are under the impression sinclair doesn't want to spend money but I think it's available to roh but joe doesn't want to use it because to me either replace delirious and joe or sell it to some other than wwe to put the right people in charge
SBG spent a lot of money, on talent. They spent none of it on creative. Joe is still in charge, with Greg Gilleland as the next man up, and then Delirious. Joey and Bully come next on the totem pole.
Captain Podcast