Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by monster mafia »

SweetDaddy wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:10 pm TNA's looking better than ROH these days.
go to the tna forum.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

I dont watch TNA and have no desire to. Im just saying they have the better roster hands down. Im not quitting ROH. Im just calling it like it is. The product is down.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

If it was hands down there shows would have better matches and honestly they don't, they are very fan friendly matches i.e. they are very spotty and get you out of the seat but that really isn't a match that I desire to. Take for instance the recent Haskins vs Taven match, I've yet to see an Impact match get anywhere near that for a long time, especially without any gimmicks involved.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Hell even MLW has signed the Von Erich's and Austin Aries in the last week.

You telling me ROH couldnt have used those 3?

Someone will Im sure.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Honestly the Von Erich kids really aren't anything special, if the available matches to watch are anything to go by, the bothced Shooting star press is something else.. It's a media stunt from MLW and a sad one, I personally find it really bad taste that MLW did something like that.

Aries is another matter, certainly a talent I would have on board but again he carries his issues, A locker room with Ki and Aries is certainly something.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

BurningHammer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:22 am Honestly the Von Erich kids really aren't anything special, if the available matches to watch are anything to go by, the bothced Shooting star press is something else.. It's a media stunt from MLW and a sad one, I personally find it really bad taste that MLW did something like that.

Aries is another matter, certainly a talent I would have on board but again he carries his issues, A locker room with Ki and Aries is certainly something.
On Cornette's post WM weekend podcast he mentioned that he saw a different Ki than he used to know. Saw a more responsible, helpful veteran that weekend. Could that be the case or does Ki know MLW is his last chance to have any shred of exposure because he's burned so many bridges that nobody will touch him, I mean this was the guy who just burned one on WM 34 weekend when he fucked GCW by pitching some tall tale as to why he couldn't work bloodsport.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Von Erich what??? ok

austin aries is a problem for the locker room so please no.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

dhads7161 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:17 am
BurningHammer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:22 am Honestly the Von Erich kids really aren't anything special, if the available matches to watch are anything to go by, the bothced Shooting star press is something else.. It's a media stunt from MLW and a sad one, I personally find it really bad taste that MLW did something like that.

On Cornette's post WM weekend podcast he mentioned that he saw a different Ki than he used to know. Saw a more responsible, helpful veteran that weekend. Could that be the case or does Ki know MLW is his last chance to have any shred of exposure because he's burned so many bridges that nobody will touch him, I mean this was the guy who just burned one on WM 34 weekend when he fucked GCW by pitching some tall tale as to why he couldn't work bloodsport.
I think Ki with MLW has what he has always wanted, the power and the authority. He is in a position where is the man and his ego has always needed that. I think the Bloodsport issue is the fact that it would have shown him up to be in a certain class of fighter instead of the one he shows the world he is. I totally realise Ki could probably break me but then I think there are plenty that could do the same to Ki.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

SweetDaddy wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:45 pm Hell even MLW has signed the Von Erich's and Austin Aries in the last week.

You telling me ROH couldnt have used those 3?

Someone will Im sure.
The Von Erichs aren't good and Aries is an asshole. So now they were not of use. ~JS
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Shane Taylor ain't got a Wikipedia article but he does have a belt.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

That shows the level of talent ROH has on the roster right now.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

dont watch it.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Shane Taylor has been having very good matches lately. He deserves his title run, and if he left ROH he'd get signed somewhere else.

He'll always be compared to Keith Lee because of their former association. And that's a shame, because Keith is absolutely fantastic and very few will measure up to the standard he sets. But Taylor has made his own way in ROH and he has earned his spot.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I'm not a big fan of Shane Taylor as TV champ (he has good chemistry with Cobb, but I struggle to think of other good matches he's had). Generally speaking, I appreciate their booking of the TV title, where they mostly keep it on established / over guys so that when they want to try giving someone a push using the TV title, it has some prestige to share. But Shane Taylor might be the toughest ask of that belt to date. Taven in 2013, Kenny King in 2017 and Punishment Martinez in 2018 were slightly surprising. But Taven was brand new, King was brand new to singles competition and Martinez had been pretty well protected, even if he was kept near the bottom of the card. But Taylor has been a glorified jobber for two years with no consistent character psychology, switching back and forth between face and heel on an "as needed" basis and rarely wrestling on big shows. It will be interesting to see whether ROH has actual plans here or if this will be a short transitional reign to Bandido or whomever.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Worrying

BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

monster mafia wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:18 am Worrying

I really don't find it that worrying, there are so many underlying and contributing factors that all make sense and are easily fixable. I'm ROH knows it's going to be taking a hit throughout the year and with the talent they have on board it really isn't costing them too much financially. They will have to at some point finally end problematic feuds and invest in better talent across the board to get those numbers up on a consistent basis in all areas of America.

I think one major factor that doesn't seem to be talked about as a positive is that ROH is drawing midweek numbers and sizes of crowds they weren't getting on weekends even at their lowest point. The fact that ROH can run midweek and still draw a number that's considered a good draw for a weekend show needs to be highlighted and I would hope it encourages ROH to work towards having midweek TV tapings to allow for a two hour weekly show.

With Taylor, I think he is one of the most consistent and underrated talents out there, I've yet to not enjoy one his matches and he delivers in whatever capacity he is needed. He is put in the effort to loose weight and find his formula too a match, I think he still needs to get in better shape but hopefully that happens over time.

Do I think he has major drawing power no but that could be said for a lot of the ROH roster and that's all due to people being rather ignorant of ROH right now. I think one thing that over the years that has been lost in wrestling is the idea of individual styles, like even the big guy now has to able to dive, to kip up, for me I'd rather see less dives from people and more variance in what people can do. Fans across the board need to be re-educated as to what makes a wrestling company and wrestler as a whole.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I do not believe MLW has ever drawn 2000. I would like to be proven wrong but no show I have seen them run has looked anywhere close to that.
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

famicommander wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:39 am I do not believe MLW has ever drawn 2000. I would like to be proven wrong but no show I have seen them run has looked anywhere close to that.
Their first show in Chicago, where Ki dropped the belt to Tom Lawlor, reportedly “shattered all MLW attendance records” which was around 1,500. No official numbers though.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/repo ... e-and-gate
Montana

Post by Montana »

Seems very odd Mlw would outsell in Chicago... I mean , Roh had lethal vs, Cobb vs. rush vs pco. And mlw had low ki vs Tom lawler?!?

I gotta imagine there is more to it than that, other than maybe the Chicago crowd is getting burned out on Roh after 15+ years.

Also Grand Rapids is a brand new market. I drove from metro Detroit which is about 2.5 hours from where they normally run, and I’d estimate closer to 900. The last show in royal oak Michigan did around 1500ish.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Montana wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:36 pm Seems very odd Mlw would outsell in Chicago... I mean , Roh had lethal vs, Cobb vs. rush vs pco. And mlw had low ki vs Tom lawler?!?

I gotta imagine there is more to it than that, other than maybe the Chicago crowd is getting burned out on Roh after 15+ years.

Also Grand Rapids is a brand new market. I drove from metro Detroit which is about 2.5 hours from where they normally run, and I’d estimate closer to 900. The last show in royal oak Michigan did around 1500ish.
I would argue that MLW's cards are regularly stronger than ROH's. This tour, especially. Seemed like just a random mish-mash of guys. Very miss-able shows. MLW isn't anything special, either. But their cards still have a unique feel to them. Different guys getting pushed.... Low Ki, who you can't really see anywhere else.... Lucha Bros.... and they make the matches themselves feel special on every show. ROH treats non-PPV shows like house shows that don't really matter.