Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by monster mafia »

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

monster mafia wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:16 am what dou you guys think?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/ ... _mediocre/
I've been pretty open about not being happy with ROH's direction, but company's cross-promoting to help each other's relevancy is something I will always want to see. Hopefully we'll see them open to even more promotions.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I know it’s a hell of a long shot, but I’d love to see ROH and GCW work together.

Imagine Nick Gage, Jimmy Lloyd, KTB, etc. in ROH.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Only promotions with actual brand awareness should be considered for ROH as a potential partner at this point.

NJPW - #2 promotion in the world, #1 in Japan
CMLL - #3 promotion in the world, #1 in Mexico
RevPro - one of the top promotions in the UK
STARDOM - arguably the top women's only promotion in the world

All of these make sense.

I don't see the benefit of the NWA or the Crash relationships. I think they devalue the stature that ROH has achieved.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

TYFDK wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:00 am I know it’s a hell of a long shot, but I’d love to see ROH and GCW work together.

Oh man. Like, during next year's mania weekend have New Japan and ROH collaborate on another bi-partner show, then let the undercard talent be used in a separate GCW-promoted "Throwback of Honor" show with special production, vintage merch, commentators, and unique callbacks.

(But yeah, to your point, Gage and Lloyd anywhere near today's already weird ROH would be really fascinating.)
Montana

Post by Montana »

A few thoughts on a few subjects:

1) ROH compared to Progress
- There are similarities, but those of those areas are stretching it. But ultimately a good comparison. Think there are some other companies that are comparable as well. ROH/ECW gets brought up time to time, but to me ROH reminds me the most of old school NWA, with Flair.

2) ROH working with other promotions / NWA
- I think NWA needs ROH and others more than the other way around, but NWA is bringing some value to ROH. Between the wrestlers (Aldas, Mack, etc) the championship legacy, and the "pinnacle" web series, i think the relationship works. It's also a great spot for the ROH dojo/ low card guys to work.

3) That reddit article
- Honestly the more i think about it... It's people's expectations of ROH is unrealistic at this point. The Crockett Cup has gotten more of less positive reviews... and in my opinion, compared to ROH shows of this year, it would be in the bottom 1/3 IMO. Yet, ROH shows are held to a higher standard/ thus rated much more harsh. WWE faces these same unrealistic expectations as well, and a lot of their issues come down to booking as well. I liked the Crockett Cup, and was entertained, but wouldn't say it was one of the best ROH shows of the year.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

ROH is definitely on a downward trend.

Is it falling off enough to be at risk of shutting down?

No but its definitely at risk of falling behind TNA for #2 in the US if it hasnt already and falling to 4th when AEW starts.

If that happens its no better than a local indy that just happens to be on TV here and there.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Wilson wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:37 pm
TYFDK wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:00 am I know it’s a hell of a long shot, but I’d love to see ROH and GCW work together.

Oh man. Like, during next year's mania weekend have New Japan and ROH collaborate on another bi-partner show, then let the undercard talent be used in a separate GCW-promoted "Throwback of Honor" show with special production, vintage merch, commentators, and unique callbacks.

(But yeah, to your point, Gage and Lloyd anywhere near today's already weird ROH would be really fascinating.)
That would be the time to run a Homicide/Colby Corino match.

Also, to that effect, this match was announced recently:

BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

In terms of the article people are making way to big a deal of the booking because when you break it down it really isn't that bad as a whole it's got way more to do with the people they book more than anything. I think what we are seeing with the Briscoes and GOD is more of what we are going forward with ROH from what I can see, it wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Cheeseburger are eventually pushed away, and the same with Vinny and TK.

It really depends on the direction that the NWA wants to head in, if they want to be like Rev Pro and simply use talent from the bigger company (ROH) and then supplement it with more original talent I don't think it really helps anyone. If the NWA focuses on looking at talent that is original to them but compliments ROH then it will be a great partnership. I do think overall where ROH is right now and the talent it has it makes more sense to be aligned with the NWA as it just feels a more natural fit where both companies are compared to NJPW. If ROH decides to actually get in quality atheltic wrestlers that still has personality and the general feel the bookers want then it will be a fit for everyone involved.

I really don't want ROH to be constantly looking back the past especially in wrestlers, you can still focus on your history and roots without digging up wrestlers who have more than aged and got worse since they were last hear.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

please roh, bring back willie mack.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Thinking Mack's headed to AEW after dropping the National title.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Lucha Underground doing LU bullshit. via Lucha Central
It appears Lucha Underground’s tough year is about to get even tougher. Only a month after El Rey Network and Baba-G Productions (LU’s network and production company respectively) settled a class action lawsuit with El Hijo del Fantasma, Ivelisse, Joey Ryan and Kobra Moon (Thunder Rosa), another trip to court seems in the works. Lucha Central has learned that LU performers Matanza Cueto (Ring of Honor star Jeff Cobb), Famous B and XO Lishus (All Elite Wrestling’s Sonny Kiss) have all sought legal representation in order to get their release from the promotion.

The biggest shock of these names is Cobb, mostly because we’ve all assumed that Cobb received his release from Lucha Underground after season four, when his character was killed off in the Ultima Lucha finale. Despite that, and signing a one year deal with Ring of Honor this past fall, sources tell Lucha Central that LU higher ups have continued to insist he is under contract with them, and have even gone as far to try and block him from working Ring of Honor. There is no word on the situations regarding Famous B or Sonny Kiss, who is scheduled to debut for AEW at Double or Nothing as part of the Over Budget Battle Royal. Though it’s possible Lucha Underground may try to block him from working with AEW following the show, Kiss’ appearance at Double or Nothing doesn’t seem to be in jeopardy. Lucha Central can also confirm that, while he hasn’t officially sought legal representation at this time, Willie Mack will likely be joining these three in trying to get out of his LU contract as well. Speculation about Mack’s future has been rampant after he dropped the NWA National Championship to Colt Cabana this past Saturday at NWA’s Crockett Cup and posted a cryptic tweet about having to pick a side.

Update: So Cal Uncensored has revealed on Twitter that Lucha Underground (through Dorian Roldan) has threatened to send a Cease and Desist to both Ring of Honor and the NWA due to them using Willie Mack at recent events, indicating further that Mack is likely to try and get his release alongside Cobb, Kiss and Famous B.

Lucha Central will keep you updated on this developing story.
https://luchacentral.com/lucha-central- ... -expected/
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

What petty nonsense, considering there is very little chance of Lucha Underground even getting another season.

Regradless, if they can get Mack signed that would be incredible.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

dhads7161 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:00 pm Thinking Mack's headed to AEW after dropping the National title.
source?
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

dhads7161 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:00 pm Thinking Mack's headed to AEW after dropping the National title.
It's more likely NWA being threatened with a law suit as seen in this thread after your post. Now you could say since the owner of AAA is the one in charge of Lucha Underground then maybe they are forcing Mack towards working for Impact and AEW, sure it's possible.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

a shame for willie mack, nwa and roh..hope they can make things work

fuck lucha underground, just die already!
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

monster mafia wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:01 pm
source?
None but just what I was figuring before the details came out with more Lucha Underground hostage situation. TBH I can see Mack everywhere. NWA/ROH, Impact he works sometimes, sure AEW would love to have him. Could be one of the guys that get to call his moves as he wants in this time period.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Billy corgan said that nwa is looking to have a weekly show on honorclub or fite tv this fall
Montana

Post by Montana »

I think i heard the same interview, i took it more as they were pretty confident of having a weekly episodic show in the fall, and it "could" be on honor club. Sounds like they would try and get a TV deal first, and they would also look at streaming options as well.

Overall i like the way Billy Corgan thinks and runs NWA. No sense throwing around money to try and match Tony Kahn or Vince. Seems to be more down to earth than Tony as well. It's great having so many promotion now, but it's just so hard to try and keep up and follow. It's really impossible, unless its your full time job, or you invest a majority of your free time.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Sounds like billy and Dave will be working with roh more closely now