Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by AlexROH »

David Finlay injured his shoulder during today's main event.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

Does anyone else get the miz vibe from taven? Not comparing workrate but meaning his promos are 10x better than his matches.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Its not that I think Taven is dog shit as much as I think the Kingdom gimmick is horrible.

Hell if they'd drop Marseglia and the Prince vibe it might not be as awful either.

He has no business in the main event though.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

To me the Miz is good for 1-3 promos per yer and nothing else he does is worth watching in any context.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Matt Taven couldnt lace Miz's boots and no one in the world thinks any different.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

SweetDaddy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:38 pm Its not that I think Taven is dog shit as much as I think the Kingdom gimmick is horrible.

Hell if they'd drop Marseglia and the Prince vibe it might not be as awful either.

This. They are goofy dorks who say goofy things, and that is NOT a main event heel act.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Yeah. If he actually wins the belt, it will be a really disappointed groan from the whole crowd. Last two title changes we saw in Vegas were Adam Cole winning the belt back and then Chris Daniels winning it for the first time. Two great moments.

Matt Taven??? Who is ROH kidding?
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Taven blows.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:17 pm
SweetDaddy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:38 pm Its not that I think Taven is dog shit as much as I think the Kingdom gimmick is horrible.

This. They are goofy dorks who say goofy things, and that is NOT a main event heel act.
Fine for what they are. Six Man tag team champions. Perhaps even tag or Taven's singles ceiling the TV.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

They single handedly make ROH look second rate.

Taven and O'Ryan are both good enough to be on the roster but not shining in any way.

Marseglia should be working at the Dollar General store.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I can't wait for Taven's title reign.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

SweetDaddy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:12 pm They single handedly make ROH look second rate.

Taven and O'Ryan are both good enough to be on the roster but not shining in any way.

Marseglia should be working at the Dollar General store.
Dollar General is giving him too much credit. The Dollar Tree may be better for him.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Personally I can't wait for Taven's win, it feels fresh and different to really be something I can get into, (I've really enjoyed Taven especially this last year or too) and you have the easy set up of a feud with RUSH and then have RUSH win the title in the end.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:38 am Personally I can't wait for Taven's win, it feels fresh and different to really be something I can get into, (I've really enjoyed Taven especially this last year or too) and you have the easy set up of a feud with RUSH and then have RUSH win the title in the end.
So many title changes, yikes. Lethal vs Rush would 100% be a better match, even if Taven and Rush have familiarity. If Taven wins the belt and they're going to do a bunch of title changes, Rush should honestly win it the next night, so they can immediately go into a different direction

But seriously, I hope Taven doesn't win.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

alexsmellzzz wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:35 am
BurningHammer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:38 am Personally I can't wait for Taven's win, it feels fresh and different to really be something I can get into, (I've really enjoyed Taven especially this last year or too) and you have the easy set up of a feud with RUSH and then have RUSH win the title in the end.
So many title changes, yikes. Lethal vs Rush would 100% be a better match, even if Taven and Rush have familiarity. If Taven wins the belt and they're going to do a bunch of title changes, Rush should honestly win it the next night, so they can immediately go into a different direction

But seriously, I hope Taven doesn't win.
Well you could have the title change happen in about six, seven months and that would be a decent first reign for Taven (and I think long enough to have credibility) and build a big win in the end for RUSH who you can build the company around if you want too.

I can't see anything but a win for Taven really.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Might be enough to push me away for good.

I can still watch The Briscoes promos.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

SweetDaddy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:27 pm Might be enough to push me away for good.

I can still watch The Briscoes promos.
Same.

Still doesn't make sense to me that these people are so high on Taven. His like, entire career has been a joke where nobody has ever taken him seriously.

The only good match he's ever been in was with Will Ospreay.

I don't even know off the top of my head what his finisher is, and I'm not kidding. I feel like it's some kind of reverse DDT move? I know he can do a moonsault and can dive over the top rope, because I've seen him do that stuff before. Does he do anything else? Seriously, the guy is so unremarkable that I feel like I have memory loss thinking about his career right now. And I've watched a TON of wrestling.

If he wins the belt, there will be people going viral all night and the next day just by saying something about how "this is the state of ROH... wow, it's really bad". And that will be the talk of the internet. They will say "AEW is running Omega vs Jericho and ROH just made MATT TAVEN the World Champ... wow".

Idk, I guess I just think of ROH history as meaning something. But really, ROH has been on the decline for a long time. Just looking at the world title... Lethal current run is definitely lackluster. There's just nothing to it. And Castle before that was great... up until he got hurt. Lethal/Castle the last time ROH ran Sam's Town was a crazy match. They did a suplex to the floor that was brutal.

Part of me thinks that Matt Taven has some kind of paid fans that just flood the internet with pro-Taven opinions. If you're on twitter, there's like 8 or 9 girls that regularly get retweeted by everybody. And they're all in some Matt Taven fanclub lol. Either he pays them or ROH does. That's the only possible explanation.

Art is subjective... but Matt Taven is objectively bad. He just is.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Taven was fine during his 2013 TV title run with Truth Martini but outside of that nope. Guess he was okay with Bennett but that was an extremely shitty tag team.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Taven had an awesome match against Castle at Final Battle and a really fun brawl with Ultimo Guerrero at the Hammerstein not too long ago. Given the chance, he can work a pretty decent main event match. Honestly, the bar to clear is Cody, which he comfortably hovers above.

Shithead champions are good. Taven will probably get a lot of honest heel reactions if he's champion. Though I still wish the make-up of the Kingdom were different, I think everyone is going to live.

(Idk if anyone here remembers what it was like when Briscoe first won the World Title, but these conversations now are a lot like then. Should be real interesting to read comments if Taven does win.)
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I understand not everybody likes Taven but if you truly believe he's only had one good match in his entire career, why are you even watching wrestling?