Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
The Dragon Saga

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by The Dragon Saga »

And for what I came in to say initially.

Dragon Lee is the next expected announced signing.

RUSH, Dragon Lee and Bandido all in the same US promotion at the same time. Fuckin' A+.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:31 pm I just remembered why I had you on my ignore list.
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:00 pm
So what? They have a big video screen and a speaker set that they lug to every show. There is no reason you can't play a pre-taped video.

And, for the record, in 2009 ROH put on almost forty "house shows" as you dismissively call them, plus had a one-hour weekly TV show for most of the year and did three PPVs.
WWE don't do backstage skits at their house shows. ROH don't do backstage skits at their house shows.

Nobody does backstage skits at house shows. Why? Because their fucking house shows.
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:00 pm1. How the hell can you have a show that's partly canon and partly not? If it happens in front of a crowd or airs on TV or is put up on the website, it's canon.
Last week John Cena dressed in a purple mask, called himself Juan Cena and had a match at a house show. Do you see WWE referencing that he did this? No. But if a title changes hands at a house show, they reference it. When they were doing the Sheamus/Cesaro best of series, they referenced it. When they did Starrcade, they referenced it.

But most of the shows don't matter. Some things are important to sell to the local audience as to why they should come to the show and the rest are just there so the guys can have good matches and entertain the audience. It's what makes a house show a house show, no long backstage interviews or skits, it all happens in the ring where everyone can see it.
2. WWE does not "advertise MSG shows on their weekly TV shows."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ6t_rxj778

So this video that they didn't advertise on RAW that they didn't reference on TV from the house show they did at MSG that they streamed, like how ROH streams there's only happened in a local market. I didn't know London was a local market to New York, suppose it is only a £200 flight, good to know for the future.

From here I'm going to skim through this because I'm bored. I'll remember not to look at your comments again because, well, their not worth reading.
The Dragon Saga wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:27 pm And don't start about things being ridiculous, I can pretty much quote anything you say call it ridiculous and continue to tell you to stop watching ROH because you can't get over the fact the promotion has changed, makes more money and isn't some little indie that could anymore that you still yourn for.
I will call anything ridiculous that I damn well please. For example, I find it utterly ridiculous that you are telling me that I am wrong for being unhappy that ROH has changed from what it used to be in a discussion that started with you telling someone that backstage interviews "isn't really something that fits into the promotions presentation" because " ROH has always been about less talking and more wrestling."
So promos are a no-go because they supposedly don't fit into ROH's wrestling-focused presentation (even though ROH always did them, even at their most wrestling-focused), but when I call for other concepts that were part of ROH's appeal like intelligent storytelling and a focus on clean finishes I should learn to accept change?

And while we're on the subject...
As I have challenged you to do MANY times and you have yet to ever do so, please explain to me why a style of booking where the results of the "house shows" are used to enhance the storylines by providing illustrative examples of the ideas the TV show is pushing (like a tag team not getting along or someone having momentum via being on a winning streak to set up for a title shot) and a focus on clean finishes is inherently only suited for a "little indie" and could never work for a mainstream wrestling promotion.
If you would like me to provide more details about this booking scheme, please just ask.
Do whatever you want. I find it sad that you stick around here bitching non-stop about a show you don't like yet keep watching. It's sad. I've already said it and it goes for anyone else with a similar "begrudged" attitude towards the promotion nowadays too, just stop watching. Go watch something else. Tennis or I don't know, EVOLVE. Gabe still books, go watch whatever it is he does nowadays, but give this a break man.

I could care less what you think or don't think, I wasn't coming in to discuss how you view the booking, I was responding to flat out tell you you're getting worked up about a house show that they streamed. If it's not on TV and it's not on PPV and it's not explicitly referred to as an iPPV than they are house shows. You want Man Up level events every single show? Find a time machine and ask Cary Silkin how much money pandering to the lowest common denomenator of fans was making him.
Wow. Starting off the New Year with an old feud. Glad to see you two have missed each other. Please continue...
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:31 pm I just remembered why I had you on my ignore list.
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:00 pm
So what? They have a big video screen and a speaker set that they lug to every show. There is no reason you can't play a pre-taped video.

And, for the record, in 2009 ROH put on almost forty "house shows" as you dismissively call them, plus had a one-hour weekly TV show for most of the year and did three PPVs.
WWE don't do backstage skits at their house shows. ROH don't do backstage skits at their house shows.

Nobody does backstage skits at house shows. Why? Because their fucking house shows.
Actually, there were a few ROH shows over the past year that had backstage promos cut before the matches (Honor for All and Glory By Honor XVIdefinitely did, and I believe Global Wars Tour 2018: Day 4 did as well).
But even if this weren't true, the mere fact that something hasn't been done is not proof that it shouldn't be done.
The Dragon Saga wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:31 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:00 pm1. How the hell can you have a show that's partly canon and partly not? If it happens in front of a crowd or airs on TV or is put up on the website, it's canon.
Last week John Cena dressed in a purple mask, called himself Juan Cena and had a match at a house show. Do you see WWE referencing that he did this? No. But if a title changes hands at a house show, they reference it. When they were doing the Sheamus/Cesaro best of series, they referenced it. When they did Starrcade, they referenced it.

But most of the shows don't matter. Some things are important to sell to the local audience as to why they should come to the show and the rest are just there so the guys can have good matches and entertain the audience. It's what makes a house show a house show, no long backstage interviews or skits, it all happens in the ring where everyone can see it.

The idea that things only matter if the company says it matters in hindsight is in extremely stupid one. Just because WWE has a stupid policy doesn't mean that ROH should adopt it.
Furthermore, it has never been ROH's policy to pretend such events have not happened. WWE's house shows and these ROH shows you like to refer to as "house shows" are completely different. WWE's house shows are basically the same card each night of the loop and their existence is basically ignored on TV. Neither the wrestlers nor Michael Cole ever tell us what happened at the Saturday night show in Grand Rapids during Monday's Raw. ROH, to contrast, delivers a different card every night which they make an attempt to build up on their website, they post the results on the website, and you'll often hear Ian Riccaboni mention "our great event in *insert city name here* last weekend.
The Dragon Saga wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:31 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:00 pm2. WWE does not "advertise MSG shows on their weekly TV shows."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ6t_rxj778

So this video that they didn't advertise on RAW that they didn't reference on TV from the house show they did at MSG that they streamed, like how ROH streams there's only happened in a local market. I didn't know London was a local market to New York, suppose it is only a £200 flight, good to know for the future.

That wasn't a "house show." That was a WWE Network Special, similar to Beast in the East, the first Roadblock show, and every single TakeOver. They might not have been on PPV, but they were promoted on WWE TV as big events that you the wrestling fan should make sure you watch on the WWE Network.
The Dragon Saga wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:27 pm And don't start about things being ridiculous, I can pretty much quote anything you say call it ridiculous and continue to tell you to stop watching ROH because you can't get over the fact the promotion has changed, makes more money and isn't some little indie that could anymore that you still yourn for.
Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:00 pmI will call anything ridiculous that I damn well please. For example, I find it utterly ridiculous that you are telling me that I am wrong for being unhappy that ROH has changed from what it used to be in a discussion that started with you telling someone that backstage interviews "isn't really something that fits into the promotions presentation" because " ROH has always been about less talking and more wrestling."
So promos are a no-go because they supposedly don't fit into ROH's wrestling-focused presentation (even though ROH always did them, even at their most wrestling-focused), but when I call for other concepts that were part of ROH's appeal like intelligent storytelling and a focus on clean finishes I should learn to accept change?

And while we're on the subject...
As I have challenged you to do MANY times and you have yet to ever do so, please explain to me why a style of booking where the results of the "house shows" are used to enhance the storylines by providing illustrative examples of the ideas the TV show is pushing (like a tag team not getting along or someone having momentum via being on a winning streak to set up for a title shot) and a focus on clean finishes is inherently only suited for a "little indie" and could never work for a mainstream wrestling promotion.
If you would like me to provide more details about this booking scheme, please just ask.
Do whatever you want. I find it sad that you stick around here bitching non-stop about a show you don't like yet keep watching. It's sad. I've already said it and it goes for anyone else with a similar "begrudged" attitude towards the promotion nowadays too, just stop watching. Go watch something else. Tennis or I don't know, EVOLVE. Gabe still books, go watch whatever it is he does nowadays, but give this a break man.

I could care less what you think or don't think, I wasn't coming in to discuss how you view the booking, I was responding to flat out tell you you're getting worked up about a house show that they streamed. If it's not on TV and it's not on PPV and it's not explicitly referred to as an iPPV than they are house shows. You want Man Up level events every single show? Find a time machine and ask Cary Silkin how much money pandering to the lowest common denomenator of fans was making him.
1. How much money they were making back then is not the right question to ask. The right question to ask is how much money the style of product ROH was booking back then would make in the current environment with the exposure, TV support, production values, and streaming technology that was never available to that product back in the day.

2. You might have come here to tell me that I was wrong, but I came here to point out to you how insanely hypocritical your assertion that ROH shouldn't be doing backstage promos because it's a wrestling-focused product is when ROH always did backstage promos even at its most wrestling-focused and when you have in the past consistently insisted that other principles that were the very foundation of ROH's reputation as a wrestling-focused product (such as the insistence on clean finishes, logical storytelling, and a lack of comedy) should be abandoned and that anyone who insists on them being an important part of the promotion's identity in this day and age (which happens to be one when mainstream wrestling audiences are more interested in workrate and less tolerant of dirty finishes) is stuck in the past. Do you even understand why your statements are logically incompatible?

If you like fewer backstage promos and more f*ck finishes then that's fine, but then just say "that's the way I like it" rather than trying to claim that there is any sort of actual logic behind your statements.
Last edited by Big Red Machine on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big Red Machine

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:58 am

Wow. Starting off the New Year with an old feud. Glad to see you two have missed each other. Please continue...
Sorry, but if there is one thing I cannot abide, it's hypocrisy.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

O M G ! The roster page have been updated ! (screams in surprise)
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AlexROH wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:50 pm O M G ! The roster page have been updated ! (screams in surprise)
PJ Black, Rush, Dragon Lee still not listed.

Also no sign of Luchasaurus, though I don't know if he's actually signed or just being booked.

Bandido, Brody King, David Finlay, Jay White (was he still listed from his young lion stint?), Juice Robinson, Mark Haskins, PCO, Tracy Williams, and Zack Sabre Jr have been added, though.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

famicommander wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:01 pm
AlexROH wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:50 pm O M G ! The roster page have been updated ! (screams in surprise)

Also no sign of Luchasaurus, though I don't know if he's actually signed or just being booked.

Bandido, Brody King, David Finlay, Jay White (was he still listed from his young lion stint?), Juice Robinson, Mark Haskins, PCO, Tracy Williams, and Zack Sabre Jr have been added, though.
Dragon Lee hasn't even been confirmed for the company hahaha
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AlexROH wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:38 pm
famicommander wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Dragon Lee hasn't even been confirmed for the company hahaha
Well Lavie Margolin retweeted a story that said they had the exclusive on Lee signing... so they might as well just announce it already.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

An MRI exam revealed that Ring of Honor star Flip Gordon suffered a full MCL tear in his right knee during a match at Honor Reigns Supreme in Concord, N.C., on Jan. 13.

The good news is that the timetable for Gordon’s recovery means he should be able to compete at Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s historic G1 Supercard show at sold-out Madison Square Garden on April 6.

The injury occurred when Gordon hit a running dropkick in the corner on his opponent, Tracy Williams. Gordon tried to continue the match, but his knee gave out and the referee called for the bell

https://www.rohwrestling.com/news/flip- ... d-mcl-tear
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

He's lucky to be out for such a short period with full MCL tear, could have been much worse. That's great new for everyone involved, he's been risking the possibility of this since he injured his knee at CMLL so it's good he can get it cleaned it up and rehab it perfectly.

I wonder what the plans will be now he's out until then, be interesting to see who he gets at Supercard, I guess the Bandido rematch.
Last edited by BurningHammer on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

BurningHammer wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:37 pm He's lucky to be out for such a short period with full MCL tear, could have been much worse. That's great new for everyone involved, he's been risking the possibility of this since he injured his knee at CMLL so it's good he can get it cleaned it up and rehab it perfectly.

I wonder what the plans will be now, he's out until then, be interesting to see who he gets Supercard, I guess the Bandido rematch.
I think it could make sense to do Flip vs. Ishimori for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship using Flip's win over Ishimori in BOSJ last year as reasoning.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

dhads7161 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:55 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:37 pm He's lucky to be out for such a short period with full MCL tear, could have been much worse. That's great new for everyone involved, he's been risking the possibility of this since he injured his knee at CMLL so it's good he can get it cleaned it up and rehab it perfectly.

I wonder what the plans will be now, he's out until then, be interesting to see who he gets Supercard, I guess the Bandido rematch.
I think it could make sense to do Flip vs. Ishimori for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship using Flip's win over Ishimori in BOSJ last year as reasoning.
I would I imagine that will be done in Japan but yeah it's certainly a match that they should make, depends on everyones plans considering Flip is meant to be in contention for the World Title.
Big Red Machine

Good to hear that Flip won't be out for too long. I'd be perfectly happy with either the Bandido match or an Ishimori match at MSG. BurningHammer raises a good point about the title shot, but I think they should just have Flip go over Bandido, then do the title shot at some point in April, then you can book a Flip vs. Bandido rematch after that with Bandido getting his win back.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Well... The MRI didn't go well for the good old Sabin:
Constellation Chris Sabin
@SuperChrisSabin
Complete ACL tear. 8 - 12 months.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

so sad...i hope he returns in the future.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I have two questions one has anyone heard about bounce network being available on stirr and two Roh debuting on bounce tomorrow night
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Why would ROH debut on Bounce? Aren't they owned by one of Sinclair Broadcasting's competitors?

Not to say I wouldn't welcome it, but it seems strange.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Because someone posted about it but they admitted they read it wrong but said it's on charge which it's been on that channel for a while I just don't understand since its on a specific time and date every week why don't they hype it up every week on their show and social media
Montana

Post by Montana »

Wasn't Rush supposed to debut on ROH TV this week?
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:29 am Wasn't Rush supposed to debut on ROH TV this week?
He did and they have showed his debut on all the last three events and built to it on every episode of TV for a while.