Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
kovs27

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by kovs27 »

Last I heard Woods was taking time away from wrestling to train for a BJJ match. That was a few months back.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

The really need to add backstage and Locker room interviews to the shows Honor Reigns Supreme was really irritating watching match to match without in segments in between hyping the matches.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

christopherclinton55 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:06 pm The really need to add backstage and Locker room interviews to the shows Honor Reigns Supreme was really irritating watching match to match without in segments in between hyping the matches.
This. This this this! I’ve been saying this literally for years. It would really help to see more of the wrestlers’ personalities and characters. And since we’re talking about live events/‘on tour’ shows only it’s not like it would get in the way of the sanitised, corporate, generic grunge music in the background, video snippet pre-tape interviews that populate the tv and PPV events. It would also make the on-tour shows feel a lot more unique and individual - whereas they can all blur together sometimes.

Of course, it also requires time to shoot, and effort to put together and edit (presumably has a cost implication too)...and I assume makes running the shows on live stream more challenging (and/or delays their upload onto Honor Club etc).

Depends what your priority is I guess.
Clearly Sinclair/ROH think the priority/money/majority of the fan base value live streams that are uploaded for VOD swiftly rather than investing the extra time/effort/cost/complexity in making it happen 😭
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

now roh needs to book Rush vs LA Park.
Montana

Post by Montana »

The house shows used sometimes do a ring in promo or two, but not as much lately. Seems like they save the backstage/hype stuff for TV, which makes sense to me.

Not mad about the Josh Woods thing. Rush vs. LA Park, would be cool... Lethal, Bandido, Cobb, Castle, etc would be pretty sweet too. : )
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

now i really want to see a tag team of rush and dragon lee.

(I did not know until recently that they are brothers in real life)
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

On the backstage interviews, ROH has always been about less talking and more wrestling so that isn't really something that fits into the promotions presentation.

Plus, Honor Reigns Supreme was a house show. They aren't using a ton of this info in Canon, it's the same as how WWE streams a show from MSG, they have big matches, they'll mention them on TV but their not as important as PPV matches. Their used to build local audiences and that was evident by how they had Aldis promote their return with a promo talking up the Crockett Cup as the Carrabus is a pretty large arena and selling it out with a themed event isn't out of the question, especially when Corgan and Aldis were on local news the next morning promoting it.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:45 pm On the backstage interviews, ROH has always been about less talking and more wrestling so that isn't really something that fits into the promotions presentation.

Plus, Honor Reigns Supreme was a house show. They aren't using a ton of this info in Canon, it's the same as how WWE streams a show from MSG, they have big matches, they'll mention them on TV but their not as important as PPV matches. Their used to build local audiences and that was evident by how they had Aldis promote their return with a promo talking up the Crockett Cup as the Carrabus is a pretty large arena and selling it out with a themed event isn't out of the question, especially when Corgan and Aldis were on local news the next morning promoting it.
Well to be honest old roh dvds from 2002 - 2009 we saw interviews in between matches and promo after big matches. I know that roh should be about the wrestling over the Talking however I believe they should add atleast three interviews in the shows. Like the Manhattan Mayhem show I remembered watching the embassy promo thinking wow! The Stable seems intriguing and that Stable gain my interest along with the alex Shelley promo after getting kicked out of generation next. Those little interviews add a lot to the shows
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I agree they add, but not to house shows. At house shows do it all in the ring.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

christopherclinton55 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:07 pm
The Dragon Saga wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:45 pm On the backstage interviews, ROH has always been about less talking and more wrestling so that isn't really something that fits into the promotions presentation.

Well to be honest old roh dvds from 2002 - 2009 we saw interviews in between matches and promo after big matches. I know that roh should be about the wrestling over the Talking however I believe they should add atleast three interviews in the shows. Like the Manhattan Mayhem show I remembered watching the embassy promo thinking wow! The Stable seems intriguing and that Stable gain my interest along with the alex Shelley promo after getting kicked out of generation next. Those little interviews add a lot to the shows
Agree, but in those days ROH only sold DVDs so they had to put everything there. Also, everything was added in post production.

Now they have YouTube and a weekly TV show for promos and segments and on live events they prefer to focus on the in ring side.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I seem to remember a report from PWInsider that said Amy Rose was being filmed doing backstage bits for TV in Philly, wether that sees the light of day I don't know. She is working on that side of things for the Future of Honor tapings, so maybe once she is a bit more TV ready will we start to see her more on TV then on the live events. She has a really good voice from what i've heard so could be a really interesting step for her and ROH.
IanRiccaboni

Post by IanRiccaboni »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:30 am I seem to remember a report from PWInsider that said Amy Rose was being filmed doing backstage bits for TV in Philly, wether that sees the light of day I don't know. She is working on that side of things for the Future of Honor tapings, so maybe once she is a bit more TV ready will we start to see her more on TV then on the live events. She has a really good voice from what i've heard so could be a really interesting step for her and ROH.
Amy is definitely doing things for Future of Honor and trains at the new Dojo. When time permits to have someone available to produce her, we are trying to work her and Nick Lendl in the role I used to have of social media interviewers.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

IanRiccaboni wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:51 am
BurningHammer wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:30 am I seem to remember a report from PWInsider that said Amy Rose was being filmed doing backstage bits for TV in Philly, wether that sees the light of day I don't know. She is working on that side of things for the Future of Honor tapings, so maybe once she is a bit more TV ready will we start to see her more on TV then on the live events. She has a really good voice from what i've heard so could be a really interesting step for her and ROH.
Amy is definitely doing things for Future of Honor and trains at the new Dojo. When time permits to have someone available to produce her, we are trying to work her and Nick Lendl in the role I used to have of social media interviewers.
Awesome, thanks Ian, glad to hear things are moving forward with that side of things. Just a quick question would there ever be the chance of the videos `and backstage bits that are run through Social Media streamed through Honor Club, I just rarely use Social Media platforms when watching a live event so feel I am slightly missing out at times.

I thought Nick did a great Job at Honor Reigns, it felt his most comfortable and confident showing yet.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Welp, hate to say it, but the PWG show I'm going to Friday got better with Flip needing to be replaced. lol. They were doing the same match as ROH was, Flip Gordon vs Bandido. Well, now I get to see Bandido vs ACH instead.

Any word on what ROH will do about that Dallas show? Guessing that something else gets bumped up?
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

Rush vs Bandido?
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Is roh still on comet
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

SandsShifter wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:21 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:19 pm
kovs27 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:31 pm

Since winning Tag Wars earns that team a spot in the Crockett Cup I'm going to say the other teams won't be in it. The Crockett Cup is a NWA show that will be featured by ROH since the NWA can't really run shows on their own. It's possible a couple of these teams get in besides the winner because I have no idea who else Corgan is going to find to be in this tournament.
I agree with what you're saying, though I do think it's a little silly that the qualifier tournament will have more teams in it than the tournament itself.
Actually, that makes sense. The Crockett Cup is supposed to be a Big Deal and having only 8 teams to compete for that honor, especially with Tag Wars being more populated, helps with the prestige, I think.
I think it would make more sense to me if this were just one of many qualifying tournaments. At the moment, though, only ROH seems to be doing a tournament of any reasonable size for a berth.
Big Red Machine

BurningHammer wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:12 am
dhads7161 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:35 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:07 pm If Flips injured I would go with Dalton as Cabbana’s partner if he isn’t taking time off too.
The problem there may be with the Boys also in the tournament.
Wouldn't that add an interesting dynamic to it all, it would put him in a situation he never wants to be which to me is pretty cool.

I, too, support this idea. The Colt thing would also add another good element to it.
Big Red Machine

BurningHammer wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:16 am
kovs27 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:49 am I'm sure it's a long shot but I'd love to see Austin Aries return to be Kenny King's partner. It would make complete sense with Kenny's path the past 6 months. What kills the idea is how does that team lose while making Aries happy. I'm sure he wouldn't want to come in just to lose in the second round and have no follow up.
Now this would make the most sense, as King referenced ages ago how he learnt so much from Aries after what happened in their mini feud, in many ways Aries created this Kenny King. Think it would be a great tag team and add another good talent to the roster.
YES!

Also, I'm not sure King & Titus are allowed to team up anymore due to the "losing faction must split up" stipulation of the Seek & Destroy vs. Rebellion blow-off.
Big Red Machine

Yeah. But Gabe and Pearce still let the wrestlers cut backstage promos, so I don't see how you can claim that "isn't really something that fits into the promotions presentation."
The Dragon Saga wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:45 pm Plus, Honor Reigns Supreme was a house show. They aren't using a ton of this info in Canon, it's the same as how WWE streams a show from MSG, they have big matches, they'll mention them on TV but their not as important as PPV matches. Their used to build local audiences and that was evident by how they had Aldis promote their return with a promo talking up the Crockett Cup as the Carrabus is a pretty large arena and selling it out with a themed event isn't out of the question, especially when Corgan and Aldis were on local news the next morning promoting it.
Dude... they put the match to determine who would challenge for the ROH World Title on this show on TV. You can't possibly tell me the show isn't "canon."
Your WWE also fails, as WWE only mentions their house shows in localized market promos. These ROH shows are advertised on their national TV show and we are told they will have implications for the wrestlers involved. WWE only ever mentions a house show if there is a title change. Quite frankly, I find the idea of claiming that anything they put on TV, PPV, or Honor Club isn't "canon" to be ridiculous.