Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
dhads7161

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by dhads7161 »

So ROH is partnering with the NWA for the Crockett Cup.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

dhads7161 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:11 am So ROH is partnering with the NWA for the Crockett Cup.
What? I had to have read that wrong.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

On April 27th, 2019, The National Wrestling Alliance (in association with The Crockett Foundation) will partner with Ring of Honor Wrestling to bring the classic tag-team tournament, The Crockett Cup, back to North Carolina at the Cabarrus Arena in Concord, NC.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

ROH had NWA titlematch last year, guest of The Crockett Cup is not strange.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Britt baker signed with aew
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Kevin Kelly has strong feelings about NJPW's relationship with ROH.

Appearing on the Super J-Cast, NJPW announcer Kevin Kelly was helping preview Wrestle Kingdom 13 event. The discussion moved to the bout between Zack Sabre Jr and Tomohiro Ishii for the RPW British Heavyweight Title. NJPW and RevPro established a working relationship in 2015 and Wrestle Kingdom 13 will mark the first time the RPW British Heavyweight Title will be defended at a Wrestle Kingdom event.

While previewing the match, Kelly discussed the difference between NJPW's working relationship with RPW compared to their agreement with ROH.

"When I was in ROH, (RevPro promoter) Andy (Quinlan) was trying to get ROH to sort of listen to him, and he has some really good ideas. For whatever reason, they weren’t interested," said Kelly. "I always looked at Andy as this is a guy with a vision, this is a guy who sees the importance of this relationship other than just selling tickets. It’s not just, let’s just use NJPW like a girl that you call when you’re drunk and you need to get laid. That’s kind of what I always felt like ROH did with New Japan."

Kelly continued, "They never really did anything with them, they just needed them to sell tickets, but I think Andy sees the benefit of this, and sees growing his brand and also helping New Japan grow in terms of the UK, which is a saturated market to begin with. And yes, he’s doing it to sell tickets, but there’s a mutual benefit for the New Japan stars, who are treated like gods in the UK. It’s amazing to see, the fans love them and they love the fans."

NJPW has working agreements with multiple companies and the newly formed All Elite Wrestling are now vying for their services as well. NJPW and ROH are scheduled to hold a joint Supercard event at Madison Square Garden the night before WrestleMania 35.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Quinlan's vision as I've heard and witnessed live by alot of fans, isn't exactly doing a lot for Rev Pro, really it's starting to hurt it more than it being benificial now. Case in point Rev Pro recently had the chance to make David Starr even bigger than he is right now and they didn't, Ishii retained, the same happened for Aussie Open and for the crowd and Rev Pro it was a huge let down. They now have a saving grace of Zabre being aligned with both but that works more for New Japan. Overall Rev Pro is helping New Japan than themsevles because of how dominent they are, they also got into a situation where they know if they didn't have the New Japan talent and Dream Matches they wouldn't be selling out York Hall so regularly.

In all honesty I would rather ROH loose the relationship than to be beholden to New Japan for talent and booking decissions,
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

All Elite Wrestling, Ring of Honor, and New Japan are scheduled to meet in hopes of working together in the future.

Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer reports that AEW, ROH and NJPW officials will meet after Wrestle Kingdom to discuss a working relationship moving forward. ROH and NJPW currently have a working relationship and are set to hold a joint Supercard event at Madison Square Garden in April.

Meltzer says that his "strong impression" is that all three want to work together, but political issues could get in the way. He says a working relationship between the three parties is "not impossible by any means."

AEW and ROH have already begun competing for the same talent as both companies, along with WWE, made offers to Bandido, who eventually signed with ROH.

Meltzer also reports that WWE has made a "fantastic offer" to Kenny Omega, who is set to become a free agent this month. Omega is the current IWGP Heavyweight Champion and will wrestle in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 13. He has ties to All Elite Wrestling due to his friendship with Cody and the Young Bucks and is a regular on the Being The Elite series.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

It would be nice if AEW just slotted right into the NJPW/ROH/CMLL/RevPro partnership.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:27 pm It would be nice if AEW just slotted right into the NJPW/ROH/CMLL/RevPro partnership.
This would be ideal but you would think that if AEW and ROH were going to play nice then a working agreement could have been worked out in the finals months of the Elite leaving.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

I imagine that the Elite did not believe Sinclair would actually spend money on ROH . Now that ROH has added some big time free agents, they know otherwise. Sinclair a.k.a David Smith , the Khan family and NJPW all have access to large amounts of working capital , so there is a stalemate.

These three groups would be all playing right into the WWE hands if a promotional war broke out . That was how McMahon took over wrestling, the NWA members got greedy and turned on each other. If these companies worked together they could take significant market share from the WWE over the next decade.

It is a real shame that it took so long for Sinclair to begin properly funding ROH .
Last edited by Memphis Mark on Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

It's going to leave places like impact and mlw out in the cold if these three start working together
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

MLW has money behind them. The BeIN Tv network is owned by Al Jazeera Media , which is a large broadcasting company based in the oil rich nation of Qatar . MLW should continue to grow.

Anthem has resources to put into Impact, but the company appears to be risk averse . Unless ROH , NJPW or a new player step in it looks like the valuable TNA video library will eventually end up on the WWE network
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

According to a story I saw the other day, Bein Sports only averages 7,000 viewers per hour of primetime. Compare that to former ROH broadcaster Comet, which overages over 82,000 per hour.

MLW's viewership has to be a tiny fraction of even Lucha Underground's. El Rey gets close to 50,000 per hour of primetime.

So I really don't see how MLW could possibly be close to profitable. Not unless they're paying dudes 8 bucks per show.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

famicommander wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:26 pm According to a story I saw the other day, Bein Sports only averages 7,000 viewers per hour of primetime. Compare that to former ROH broadcaster Comet, which overages over 82,000 per hour.

MLW's viewership has to be a tiny fraction of even Lucha Underground's. El Rey gets close to 50,000 per hour of primetime.

So I really don't see how MLW could possibly be close to profitable. Not unless they're paying dudes 8 bucks per show.
I never said MLW was profitable or had good ratings in the USA. MLW has investors and their TV partner is worth billions , BeIN is owned by the Emir of Qatar , he has a net worth of of $16 billion. .. MLW has capital that is being invested to create a long term value. MLW has overseas TV deals that in place. The BeIN network primary market is the Middle East not North America. What I said is that MLW has money behind them and they should continue to grow.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Just because their parent company has money doesn't mean they are spending it on MLW, nor does it mean that they are willing to lose undefined amounts of it indefinitely.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Yes , investors are willing to lose money for 5 or 6 years to build a brand. It takes years to build a customer base and brand identity . The investors always know this going to any new venture . The investors usually use the short term losses as a tax write off until the business turns the corner.

The Khan family is fronting AEW $ 100 million to get the company off the ground. Tony Khan knows he is going to show losses in the short term. That really how it works. You have sink investment capital into a project and watch the new venture slowly grow. If you have a short term outlook and /or under fund the business , failure is certain.

I did this for a living for almost 20 years , so I got some insight.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:48 am It's going to leave places like impact and mlw out in the cold if these three start working together
Not true in MLW's case. Let things play out and it is very early in all this. But MLW is friendly with AEW.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

roh needs to do things like this to hype ppvs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owX6Wvb ... e=youtu.be
Montana

Post by Montana »

I wouldn’t mind ROH doing this for special shows like MSG, or final battle. Wouldn’t do it for every PPV.

Personally I think ROH needs to improve their app and have Honor club on on every device, PS4, Xbox, Amazon, roku, chromecast, etc.