Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

How pathetic that Adam Page only has one championship run to show for his ROH tenure.

Delirious really, really fucked up with Page. Should have had a TV title run, but for whatever reason Delirious didn't have the balls to pull the trigger.

Losing Page is probably the one that's gonna sting the most. His star is rising.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Story of Page's time in ROH dating back to his Decade days. Is a star no doubt but for some reason he loses every big match he's in. I think the only big match he ever won in ROH was vs. Jay Briscoe.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I’d say it took page a few years to get to the level he’s at now. He was pretty green early on. 2018 would have been a good year for a run, but if he was expected to leave, why give him the opportunity.

Its all about timing. Im sure if page stayed on ROH he’d be champ in 2019.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Idk I'm not on the Adam Page bandwagon. I thought he was very out of place in the G1 Climax this year.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Montana wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:41 am I’d say it took page a few years to get to the level he’s at now.
Its all about timing.
Which makes me wonder what happened in the alternate timeline where he didn't join Bullet Club after his babyface turn just a few months prior. I really think he was ready to step out and shine as a top babyface, not immediately at World title level but certainly could have been the one to take the TV title off Fish or Strong after their 2016 feud. Then he became the Bullet Club ROH fall boy more or less which regressed his progress right back to 2014. Heck, at least there was a good story behind him being The Decade's young boy, there was no story or ever any explanation for him joining the Bullet Club except for Bullet Club aggressively recruiting on that tour. Outside of storytelling and booking though it was great for the man that we know as Adam Page because he got to make wrestling his full time career from that decision but he's where he's at now because of The Young Bucks, Cody, and Gedo seeing something in him. I give Delerious ZERO credit for making him the star he's become, he forfeited any credit he could have gotten when he passed the buck on him in 2016 because he's a lazy Booker and the least effort he has to put in the better for him.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Montana wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:41 am I’d say it took page a few years to get to the level he’s at now. He was pretty green early on. 2018 would have been a good year for a run, but if he was expected to leave, why give him the opportunity.

Its all about timing. Im sure if page stayed on ROH he’d be champ in 2019.
And probably getting a decently long run as well.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

My dream card for 17th anniversary

lethal vs gordon ( world ch)
briscoes vs king / scurll ( tag team ch)
jeff cobb vs pco vs shane taylor ( tv ch)
kingdom vs rush /dragon lee/ volador ( six man ch)
gresham vs zsj ( rematch and maybe for the new pure ch)
kelly klein vs britt baker ( woh ch)
bandido vs kushida
silas young vs mark haskins
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I am all on board for a KUSHIDA/Bandido match, thank you for making me think of that.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

monster mafia wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:31 am My dream card for 17th anniversary

lethal vs gordon ( world ch)
briscoes vs king / scurll ( tag team ch)
jeff cobb vs pco vs shane taylor ( tv ch)
kingdom vs rush /dragon lee/ volador ( six man ch)
gresham vs zsj ( rematch and maybe for the new pure ch)
kelly klein vs britt baker ( woh ch)
bandido vs kushida
silas young vs mark haskins
I'd make one alteration: Ultimo Guerrero with Dragon Lee and Volador since they're all faces, throw Rush in there with Haskins, add Silas to the hoss TV title match.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:08 am How pathetic that Adam Page only has one championship run to show for his ROH tenure.

Delirious really, really fucked up with Page. Should have had a TV title run, but for whatever reason Delirious didn't have the balls to pull the trigger.

Losing Page is probably the one that's gonna sting the most. His star is rising.
Given how much he has improved this year, it seemed like he would've been champion in the very near future. Page never even had a ROH Title shot. He was barely given a bone until late last year and of course this one.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Looking back at this year's live events a few markets they didn't run this year that they usually do were St. Louis/Collinsville and Milwaukee. With those markets there may be the question of a larger venue for the entrance set they use now but there is that venue ECW used in Milwaukee and maybe in the St. Louis area it may actually be time to suck it up and accept the losses to actually run in the city. Can go run at the Chaifetz Arena that houses the Saint Louis University Basketball team if they really do need an arena.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

Wilson wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:21 am
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:08 am How pathetic that Adam Page only has one championship run to show for his ROH tenure.

Given how much he has improved this year, it seemed like he would've been champion in the very near future. Page never even had a ROH Title shot. He was barely given a bone until late last year and of course this one.
He did get some momentum going for himself before he was Bullet Club, like that Jay Briscoe match everyone is talking about. I was there for that, great match.

BUT since he aligned with Bullet Club, it seems like he chose that over a singles push.

Bucks had their degree of control over ROH booking (cmon, we all know this) and so Page was on their "team". I think had he not partnered up with him, if he instead made moves like Jay Lethal or Dalton Castle, they might have seen him in the main event. I don't think Page wanted to be champion, though. And I mean, you can also blame ROH. ROH's booking sucks, it's SO bad that I think Page being with Bullet Club is a better spot than to be "champion"

We think of the world champion as being a big deal, but cmon. ROH is such a joke nowadays. Lethal carries the belt nicely, sure. I'd still argue the last time people genuinely cared about that belt was when Cole and O'Reilly were fighting over it. It just doesn't mean anything anymore
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Pretty sure everybody genuinely cared when Daniels won it, and everybody genuinely cared during Cody's run.

You're just projecting. ROH is orders of magnitude more popular and successful than they have been at any point, and the glory days that you can't let go of nearly destroyed the company. To the point where Sinclair picked it up for a six digit number.

That doesn't mean I'm defending the booking but your bitterness clouds your ability to assess what you're seeing.
Big Red Machine

dhads7161 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:16 am Looking back at this year's live events a few markets they didn't run this year that they usually do were St. Louis/Collinsville and Milwaukee. With those markets there may be the question of a larger venue for the entrance set they use now but there is that venue ECW used in Milwaukee and maybe in the St. Louis area it may actually be time to suck it up and accept the losses to actually run in the city. Can go run at the Chaifetz Arena that houses the Saint Louis University Basketball team if they really do need an arena.
My understanding with St. Louis is that the Missouri commission is a HUGE pain to work with, which is why they've always run in Collinsville, IL.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:19 am Pretty sure everybody genuinely cared when Daniels won it, and everybody genuinely cared during Cody's run.

You're just projecting. ROH is orders of magnitude more popular and successful than they have been at any point, and the glory days that you can't let go of nearly destroyed the company. To the point where Sinclair picked it up for a six digit number.

That doesn't mean I'm defending the booking but your bitterness clouds your ability to assess what you're seeing.
Define "genuinely cared." The only emotions I saw when Cody was the champion were people wanting the belt off of him as soon as possible because he was having atrocious matches. Fans reacted to Cody the same way, with or without the belt (and I'd say the same about the Bucks and the tag belts, or any group of them and six-man titles). I don't really think people cared too much about Dalton's reign, either- or at least certainly didn't care going into his title defenses, and Dalton (and his opponent, and this is partially due to the fact that the booker did give them an appropriate amount of time) made people care during the matches by having such excellent title bouts.
With Lethal... I think people are starting to care again.
alexsmellzzz

Post by alexsmellzzz »

famicommander wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:19 am Pretty sure everybody genuinely cared when Daniels won it, and everybody genuinely cared during Cody's run.

I was actually there live for Daniels. And yeah, actually a big pop. But it was more or less just people celebrating that he FINALLY won something. It was like him getting a trophy for his contributions to wrestling, not really what a world title win should be.

I mean, I made my case. I said that Page gained more from NOT being world champ. And then you're saying that ROH is more popular, successful.... uhhh ok? My argument literally had nothing to do with that, but congratulations for.. bringing.. it up... for some reason??? :lol:
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

You said nobody cared about the belt and that's demonstrably not true. The majority of ROH's audience isn't like the people who frequent this message board.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:20 am
dhads7161 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:16 am Looking back at this year's live events a few markets they didn't run this year that they usually do were St. Louis/Collinsville and Milwaukee. With those markets there may be the question of a larger venue for the entrance set they use now but there is that venue ECW used in Milwaukee and maybe in the St. Louis area it may actually be time to suck it up and accept the losses to actually run in the city. Can go run at the Chaifetz Arena that houses the Saint Louis University Basketball team if they really do need an arena.
My understanding with St. Louis is that the Missouri commission is a HUGE pain to work with, which is why they've always run in Collinsville, IL.
It's getting less strict. More independents keep popping up in the state and doing well for themselves.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Did anyone hear when Coleman was doing a interview teasing Roh could be negotiating a cable deal
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:49 pm Did anyone hear when Coleman was doing a interview teasing Roh could be negotiating a cable deal
They've had a couple opportunities I'm aware of but at the end of the day it comes down to nobody in today's climate wanting to deal with SBG. One particular broadcast company went with another company.
Captain Podcast