Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

[/quote]
Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:51 am
DXvsNWO1994 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:55 pm Out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in participating in a ROH Draft here on the forum (inspired by the annual DKP Christmas Draft Podcast on the WO/F4W Network)? Basically it'd be drafting a roster of talent (in this case, the all-time ROH roster) for a major supercard, and then people would vote on which one is the best. I think it'll be something cool to do during this down time for ROH, especially since (based on the current schedule), the first Pick 'Ems of 2018 won't be until February.
F*CK YES!
ActionJeffson wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:13 pm
DXvsNWO1994 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:55 pm Out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in participating in a ROH Draft here on the forum (inspired by the annual DKP Christmas Draft Podcast on the WO/F4W Network)? Basically it'd be drafting a roster of talent (in this case, the all-time ROH roster) for a major supercard, and then people would vote on which one is the best. I think it'll be something cool to do during this down time for ROH, especially since (based on the current schedule), the first Pick 'Ems of 2018 won't be until February.
I'm in
Cool! Again, I'm only looking to do four for this first one (myself and three others), but I'd be more than willing to do this multiple times if more people want to participate (so I can be fair to everyone). I'll go with the first three who responded, and I'll send a general DM to the three of you sometime tomorrow.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Does anybody on social media ever bother ROH about the Year 6 DVD?
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

I wish they didn't do a Top Prospect Tournament every year. Every few years is fine but trying to shoehorn 8 guys onto your roster with no buildup really takes away from the shows, especially if only one or two of them are actually top prospects.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
Jimthy

Post by Jimthy »

Mike Adamle wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:39 am I wish they didn't do a Top Prospect Tournament every year. Every few years is fine but trying to shoehorn 8 guys onto your roster with no buildup really takes away from the shows, especially if only one or two of them are actually top prospects.
Have they announced a 2018 tournament yet? I was just thinking about this today, and looked around, and I don't see anything yet.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Mike Adamle wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:39 am I wish they didn't do a Top Prospect Tournament every year. Every few years is fine but trying to shoehorn 8 guys onto your roster with no buildup really takes away from the shows, especially if only one or two of them are actually top prospects.
Totally agree with Mike. Gabe seems to be getting all of the good young talent. Other than Curt Stallion, nobody from last year's TPT was worth a shit.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

With the Top Prospect Tournament talk going on, I looked it up on Wikipedia, I could not believe that JONATHAN GRESHAM WAS IN THE VERY FIRST TPT BACK IN 2011. He was eliminated in the first round by KYLE O'REILLY!
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

King of Indy Style wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:44 pm With the Top Prospect Tournament talk going on, I looked it up on Wikipedia, I could not believe that JONATHAN GRESHAM WAS IN THE VERY FIRST TPT BACK IN 2011. He was eliminated in the first round by KYLE O'REILLY!
Pretty interesting lineup. You had:

- Jonathan Gresham
- Kyle O'Reilly
- Adam Cole
- Michael Elgin
- Mike Bennett

But you also had...

- Grizzly Redwood
- Bobby Dempsey
- Andy Ridge

Hit and miss, really.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I thought John Skylar last year was a good choice to pick up, but they didn't for whatever reason. He and Corey Hollis are two guys who seem to pop into ROH here and there but never do anything of note.

I think some here discredit the TPT a bit too much though. The current World Champion is a product of the TPT and he didn't even win it. And if someone chimes in with, "but oh, he was Ashley Remington in CHIKARA", don't bother. Being someone in CHIKARA is like saying you were the star football player on the youth team when you were 6-years-old, but you hadn't done shit since so it someone validates you have talent.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:26 am I thought John Skylar last year was a good choice to pick up, but they didn't for whatever reason. He and Corey Hollis are two guys who seem to pop into ROH here and there but never do anything of note.

I think some here discredit the TPT a bit too much though. The current World Champion is a product of the TPT and he didn't even win it. And if someone chimes in with, "but oh, he was Ashley Remington in CHIKARA", don't bother. Being someone in CHIKARA is like saying you were the star football player on the youth team when you were 6-years-old, but you hadn't done shit since so it someone validates you have talent.
I was surprised they didn't pick up Skylar (yet have continued to use Milonas a few times). Also odd that they booked Brian Fury to the finals in 2016, yet never used him again (whereas Martinez, and Coast 2 Coast were also in the tournament).
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Wildcat Belts has posted the new ROH belts! With a good light, the look even better ahahah. The have similar designs (TV-Tag-World), I really like this new "identity". Here you can watch some photos

- http://www.wildcatbelts.com/roh-tag-tea ... p-belt.php
- http://www.wildcatbelts.com/roh-six-man ... p-belt.php
- http://www.wildcatbelts.com/roh-televis ... p-belt.php
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

My local indy company is now the official sponsor of ROH TV in our market. Considered the same market as Carbondale, IL where ROH did one of the Road to Best In the World 2014 cards.
Wonder if that sponsorship could get an ROH live event back in the market? But this time in the Southeast Missouri part of the market that historically draws better than the Southern Illinois part.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

oh my

September 1st

https://twitter.com/ALL_IN_2018
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

I found this on reddit

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-do ... oplay=true

It's Ian Riccaboni on this Podcast called The Dope Show (admittedly I know nothing about the show besides Ian Riccaboni is on an episode. It's a fun chat. They talk about Ring of Honor, Riccaboni getting into wrestling and how he got involved in ROH.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

One year later...who misses Steve Corino on color commentary?

I enjoy Cabana light years ahead of Corino. Thoughts?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Cabana is very good but I'd still prefer to have him wrestle. Put Brutal Bob Evans on commentary.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Cabana and Ian Riccaboni IMO may be the best commentary team in wrestling, for my money, but if you swap Cabana out for Whitmer, Ian falls. Ian isn't strong enough to not have Colt beside him, which speaks volumes of Colt but not so much of Ian. I still feel like Ian has picked up a lot of Kevin Kelly's bad habits which of course came from Jim Ross, the difference being Ross knew how to verbalize his shock ("BAH GAWD AS MY WITNESS, HE IS BROKEN IN HALF"!) so that it excited you, while Ian and Kevin would use a shocked tone but their verbiage would be unconvincing ("OH MY!").

I like Ian as the straight faced play-by-play but I'd enjoy him more if he was a bit more rough around the edges.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:34 pm Cabana and Ian Riccaboni IMO may be the best commentary team in wrestling, for my money, but if you swap Cabana out for Whitmer, Ian falls. Ian isn't strong enough to not have Colt beside him, which speaks volumes of Colt but not so much of Ian. I still feel like Ian has picked up a lot of Kevin Kelly's bad habits which of course came from Jim Ross, the difference being Ross knew how to verbalize his shock ("BAH GAWD AS MY WITNESS, HE IS BROKEN IN HALF"!) so that it excited you, while Ian and Kevin would use a shocked tone but their verbiage would be unconvincing ("OH MY!").

I like Ian as the straight faced play-by-play but I'd enjoy him more if he was a bit more rough around the edges.
Excellent. Don't disagree with any of this. Ian just seems flat with Whitmer. Is it because Cabana was a better promo guy, does stand-up (developing ad lib skills), and has a long running podcast?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think it's just because Whitmer is not very good. Ian sounded fine with Bob Evans and Veda Scott when they did commentary together.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I really miss Corino, i loved his character. Ian and Colt are great, but IMO kelly-callis are the best team, KK has become my favourite PBP commentator over Leanny Leonard
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I liked Corino but too often him Kelly would miss telling the story the wrestlers are trying to tell in the ring. It would get frustrating because you could see what they should be talking about and they would blow it off to make stupid jokes.