Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
User avatar
AlexROH
Posts: 1288
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:41 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Contact:

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by AlexROH » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:47 am

Yes. During the post-WK TV Episode, they showed the film match in three 5minutes fragments.

famicommander
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 am

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by famicommander » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:21 am

Some time last year I said that Dragon Lee was the best and most complete 21 year old wrestler I had ever seen.

Dragon Lee is now the best and most complete 22 year old wrestler I have ever seen.

I need am extended Dragon Lee vs Kushida feud. Make it for Lee's CMLL World Lightweight Championship, Kushida's ROH TV title, Kushida's IWGP Jr title, or even all three.

Let these two guys travel the globe and expose WWE's Cruiserweight Division for the light beer version that it really is

User avatar
Wilson
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1287
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 am
Location: US Northeast

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Wilson » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:55 am

famicommander wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:21 am
Some time last year I said that Dragon Lee was the best and most complete 21 year old wrestler I had ever seen.

Dragon Lee is now the best and most complete 22 year old wrestler I have ever seen.

I need am extended Dragon Lee vs Kushida feud. Make it for Lee's CMLL World Lightweight Championship, Kushida's ROH TV title, Kushida's IWGP Jr title, or even all three.

Let these two guys travel the globe and expose WWE's Cruiserweight Division for the light beer version that it really is
Dragon Lee is definitely a gifted wrestler at 22, but, with only minor attempts at math, I would say Bryan Danielson, Chris Benoit, and Satoru Sayama were better than him at that age. Even though the praise that Lee receives at times can be hyperbolic, I am still in agreement that he is ready-made star pretty much unseen in someone in their early twenties, already with so much travel on them.

And, yeah, it would be really something special to have KUSHIDA and Dragon Lee in a title for title feud, especially in New Japan or CMLL.

famicommander
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 am

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by famicommander » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:34 am

I didn't see Benoit or much of Sayama at that age but I would say Danielson was a better specialist then while Dragon Lee is more complete.

There is nothing that happens in between the ropes that Dragon Lee isn't fantastic at. High flying, striking, throws, submissions, mat wrestling, counters... he has great timing, his moves are convincing, he understands storytelling, he sells well and at appropriate times.

He would be perfect in Chaos in my opinion.

User avatar
King of Indy Style
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by King of Indy Style » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:40 am

Really wanna see Lee vs. Rey Fenix at some point. My two favorite young guys in the business.

famicommander
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 am

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by famicommander » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:47 am

Fenix has almost five years on Lee. Not really a "young guy" at this point but still fantastic.

User avatar
King of Indy Style
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by King of Indy Style » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:56 am

famicommander wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:47 am
Fenix has almost five years on Lee. Not really a "young guy" at this point but still fantastic.
Really? Huh. I thought Fenix was still 23-24. Then again I keep thinking Okada is 27 so maybe ages aren't my strong suit heh

Big Red Machine
Posts: 3292
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:07 pm

King of Indy Style wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:56 am
famicommander wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:47 am
Fenix has almost five years on Lee. Not really a "young guy" at this point but still fantastic.
Really? Huh. I thought Fenix was still 23-24. Then again I keep thinking Okada is 27 so maybe ages aren't my strong suit heh
Or, like me, you first heard the guys' ages a few years ago and were shocked at how young they were so the number has stuck in your head and forget to keep adjusting for the fact that time has passed.

User avatar
King of Indy Style
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by King of Indy Style » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:24 pm

Big Red Machine wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:07 pm
King of Indy Style wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:56 am
famicommander wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:47 am
Fenix has almost five years on Lee. Not really a "young guy" at this point but still fantastic.
Really? Huh. I thought Fenix was still 23-24. Then again I keep thinking Okada is 27 so maybe ages aren't my strong suit heh
Or, like me, you first heard the guys' ages a few years ago and were shocked at how young they were so the number has stuck in your head and forget to keep adjusting for the fact that time has passed.
Oh god, now that you say this, I'm totally certain this is what I do as well. Fenix was 22-23ish when I first saw him in LU and Okada was like 24-25 when his career shot into the stratosphere.

alexsmellzzz
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:41 am

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by alexsmellzzz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Lio Rush is 22 also, right? He's pretty good. I'd put him over Dragon Lee, personally. It's kinda like when they talk about new talent in NBA, or other pro sports, I would say Dragon Lee is a little bit more raw, Rush is more refined.

User avatar
Wilson
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1287
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 am
Location: US Northeast

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Wilson » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:58 pm

alexsmellzzz wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:24 pm
Lio Rush is 22 also, right? He's pretty good. I'd put him over Dragon Lee, personally. It's kinda like when they talk about new talent in NBA, or other pro sports, I would say Dragon Lee is a little bit more raw, Rush is more refined.
Welcome, alex! I also like Rush a tad more than Lee, though I understand famicommander’s stance on Lee being more complete (his look, his poise, his overness in his home promotion). Additionally, I’d probably switch those two descriptions, Lee being more refined, and Rush less experienced, which more or less might just be a factual comment.

User avatar
King of Indy Style
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by King of Indy Style » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:04 pm

I'd take Lee over Rush any day. I saw Lee's Jr. Heavyweight Title match against Hiromu again on NJPW on AXS and god they were doing some advanced stuff, a lot of it I doubt Rush can do. I agree with Wilson about switching descriptions, Lee is definitely more polished and Rush is still a raw talent.

famicommander
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 am

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by famicommander » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:12 pm

I think Lee is head and shoulders above Rush, whom I also like.

Lee is so much more polished because his family tree includes:
Arturo Munoz Sanchez (AKA Commandante Pierroth, Toro Blanco, etc; Lee's father)
Rush (Lee's brother)
Mistico II (AKA Dragon Lee I, Carlos Munoz Gonzalez; Lee's brother)
Franco Colombo (Lee's uncle)
Pit Bull I (Lee's uncle)
Pit Bull II (Lee's uncle)

As far as I know Lio Rush is the first pro wrestler in his family.

Montana
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:53 am

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Montana » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:41 pm

AlexROH wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:47 am
Yes. During the post-WK TV Episode, they showed the film match in three 5minutes fragments.
Thanks guys... I'd be nice if they released the match as a DVD bonus, but guess we'll have to wait for a ROH TV compilation.

Both Lee and Rush are fantastic, especially for their age. I'd give the nod to Lee, as Rush still lacks a bit of timing/psychology, which i think will improve over time. As far as legends who were really good as a young age (other than the ones mentioned), I'd throw Tyler black who i believe was 21 in 2007 with Age of the Fall. Also, random thought, 123 Kid aka X-pac was pretty damn good for this time...believe he was about 21 in 1993, and not only impressive making it to the big leagues at that age, but a few classics early on. Certainly didn't really pan out to be a legend, but had a lot of potential early on. Tyler Bate is pretty damn impressive at well.

kovs27
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 10:00 am

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by kovs27 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:39 pm

I've been lucky enough to see both guys live, I think Dragon Lee is far ahead of Rush. Rush still has a lot of untapped potential but Lee is already fantastic and is only scratching the surface of how good he is going to be.

User avatar
AlexROH
Posts: 1288
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:41 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Contact:

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by AlexROH » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:30 pm

If we talk about Young Legends, we have to mention The Briscoes. The match they had un Boston with 17 and 18 years old was amazing.

User avatar
AlexROH
Posts: 1288
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:41 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Contact:

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by AlexROH » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Does anybody have the lyrics from Kidd Russell's song for ROH TV? Rush Rock Remix it's the name, I think. I cannot find them.

Zhuge1
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:26 am

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Zhuge1 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Various "random thoughts:"

- War Machine's new theme music isn't as good as the previous music (and doesn't seem as "fitting")

- I still would rather see Brutal Bob on color commentary and Colt Cabana in the ring

- The whole Cheeseburger/Ferrara/Joey Daddiego storyline seems overly drawn out (and fairly uninteresting).

Big Red Machine
Posts: 3292
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:47 pm

Zhuge1 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:54 pm
Various "random thoughts:"

- War Machine's new theme music isn't as good as the previous music (and doesn't seem as "fitting")

- I still would rather see Brutal Bob on color commentary and Colt Cabana in the ring

- The whole Cheeseburger/Ferrara/Joey Daddiego storyline seems overly drawn out (and fairly uninteresting).
It's still going on?

Also, that description can literally fit any storyline that any of those three men have been involved in with the possible exception of the extremely brief feud Daddiego had with Dijak when Dijak was trying to take out the House of Truth.

Mr. Mojo Risin
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:53 pm

King of Indy Style wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:04 pm
I'd take Lee over Rush any day. I saw Lee's Jr. Heavyweight Title match against Hiromu again on NJPW on AXS and god they were doing some advanced stuff, a lot of it I doubt Rush can do. I agree with Wilson about switching descriptions, Lee is definitely more polished and Rush is still a raw talent.
This. Lee is just really good being so young. That match with Hiromu was fucking good. Rush is good, but like you guys said is raw. Having said that I think Rush is going to be really good in a few years.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests