Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
The Dragon Saga

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by The Dragon Saga »

rovert wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if WWE offered Kevin Kelly something in the next couple of years. They got a lot of good color guys but other than Mauro and Cole, they struggle for play-by-plays, and Triple H will most likely just do it for the lulz.
He barely passed WWE cosmetic standards 15 years ago for on air personalities. So I doubt it.
I wouldn't call Mauro cosmetically pleasing, to be fair. Granted, he's of a different caliber of announcer to anyone else WWE has or anyone outside of WWE, but by point was that WWE can give guys gigs as color commentators all they want, but eventually they'll need a new play-by-play and their options are very thin.

Matt Striker is horrible and Vince thought he was horrible, he'll never get another chance especially since he rags on them every chance he gets.

Josh Matthews is potentially the worst play-by-play commentator of this century. He doesn't seem to actually give a shit and is only working for TNA to get paid and to stick it to WWE in some failed attempt at revenge.

Kevin Kelly has two regular play-by-play roles, one with ROH which WWE seems to target as their main resource of talent and New Japan, who are the biggest promotion outside of WWE. He's - by default - the non WWE essential play-by-play guy because while he's not anything special, he's also not overly horrible, he's a duller version of Jim Ross who trained and mentored him. As I said above, I wouldn't be surprised if they did give him a call one day in the next couple of years - not that I think it would happen, but if did, I wouldn't have to blink twice.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Like I said, I interviewed Ricochet last saturday. The interview was like 25 minutes, but here you have his thoughts on ROH and his match back in 2009 (20:17 - 23:00).

The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Pretty professional interview there Alex, that's better than the majority of American interviews you see with wrestlers - shot on iPhone's at autograph sessions where the wrestlers have little interest in actually answering any of the questions.

Shame about Ricochet's no compete clause, that said, maybe down the line we'll see him. If he can't compete for ROH then he can't compete anywhere else either, except for New Japan, obviously.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

SOTF is out as a two-disc set. Unfortunately, neither the DVD case nor the description on the website mention the War Machine vs. Lee & Taylor match on night 2... but they do seem to be under the impression that Night 2 had a rematch of the Yo vs. The Panther vs. Will Ferrara vs. Silas Young qualifier from the night before, and that that match had no rules.

HOW THE F*CK DO YOU SCREW UP LIKE THIS?! And in TWO DIFFERENT PLACES?! Did no one from the company bother to look at this damn thing before they put it up for sale on the website?! That's TNA-level incompetence right there.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Oh man I gotta order mine before it becomes limited editon ahahaha
Big Red Machine

The Dragon Saga wrote:
Josh Matthews is potentially the worst play-by-play commentator of this century. He doesn't seem to actually give a shit and is only working for TNA to get paid and to stick it to WWE in some failed attempt at revenge.

Kevin Kelly has two regular play-by-play roles, one with ROH which WWE seems to target as their main resource of talent and New Japan, who are the biggest promotion outside of WWE. He's - by default - the non WWE essential play-by-play guy because while he's not anything special, he's also not overly horrible, he's a duller version of Jim Ross who trained and mentored him. As I said above, I wouldn't be surprised if they did give him a call one day in the next couple of years - not that I think it would happen, but if did, I wouldn't have to blink twice.
Totally disagree with you about Kevin. He has the job doing PBO for New Japan because he's ROH's guy, not because he's good. Because he's not good. He's terrible. He clearly never does his homework because he just says sh*t without thinking that anyone with a lick of common sense and knowledge of ROH's history would know are clearly false (Sabin has been in ROH almost as long as Daniels?), he seems to have no memory of what happened on previous shows- even ones that he himself called- and just repeats the same talking points all the time, many of which are so abstract as to be meaningless. He completely fails to connect with the audience on any sort of emotional level because 99 times out of a hundred he is either way overreacting or under-reacting (which also kills his credibility the 1% of the time that he gets it right). He constantly picks fights with his guests for no reason, brings up irrelevant sh*t with them to drive the conversation off-topic, and comes across like the world's most uncool dad who got a job calling a wrestling show and also seems to think that part of his job is to scold the wrestlers as if they were his children.
Just like a good promo needs to come across like the wrestler is telling me why the match is important to him/her rather than as the wrestler trying to convince me that I should spend my time and/or money on the show, a good announcer needs to come across as someone calling the show and getting me to care through the way they respond to the events. Kevin Kelly feels like a guy whose job is to convince me to watch the show. He doesn't feel like he is the announcer character on the wrestling TV show. He's feels like he's a salesman sitting in my den with me, trying to convince me to spent time and money on the product.

As for Josh... I don't really understand why people hate him so much.
Big Red Machine

King of Indy Style wrote:Oh man I gotta order mine before it becomes limited editon ahahaha
Okay... wacky tangent question time:
Would people rather have a rarer DVD with a screw-up on the case or the correct, "artistically better" one? I'm leaning towards the latter, but that's because I don't really intended on selling my DVDs.
Roque11

Post by Roque11 »

Lucha Underground keeps screwing talent over with these ridiculous contract terms. I think they count on wrestlers not having the money to fight them in court and wrestlers not wanting other companies to think they are the types who will challenge management.
rovert

Post by rovert »

There's a pretty big ROH story set to break over the next few hours/days. I don't think anyone will view it as positive. Sit tight.
Big Red Machine

rovert wrote:There's a pretty big ROH story set to break over the next few hours/days. I don't think anyone will view it as positive. Sit tight.
Define "set to break." Like we know someone will publish it and we're just waiting for the day that particular newsletter comes out?" Or "going to break any minute" that like big WWE story from last spring that never came?
Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer »

Roque11 wrote:Lucha Underground keeps screwing talent over with these ridiculous contract terms. I think they count on wrestlers not having the money to fight them in court and wrestlers not wanting other companies to think they are the types who will challenge management.
These said wrestlers read the contract and agreed to those terms.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Roque11 wrote:Lucha Underground keeps screwing talent over with these ridiculous contract terms. I think they count on wrestlers not having the money to fight them in court and wrestlers not wanting other companies to think they are the types who will challenge management.
I think this guy is Delirious.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The Young Bucks making the SuperKick Party titles is fucking dumb. I hate the whole "Let's create our own titles" gimmick. I hated it with Taz and the FTW title. I hated it when Jay Briscoe created his own world title. The only time I liked this is when Ted DiBiase did it with the Million Dollar Belt. The reason that worked is because he was an arrogant piece of shit who bought his own title as more of a reason to flaunt his wealth.
Brada

Post by Brada »

rovert wrote:There's a pretty big ROH story set to break over the next few hours/days. I don't think anyone will view it as positive. Sit tight.
I think everyone will be fine with my hiring.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Brada wrote:
You like to pimp yourself don't ya?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:The Young Bucks making the SuperKick Party titles is fucking dumb. I hate the whole "Let's create our own titles" gimmick. I hated it with Taz and the FTW title. I hated it when Jay Briscoe created his own world title. The only time I liked this is when Ted DiBiase did it with the Million Dollar Belt. The reason that worked is because he was an arrogant piece of shit who bought his own title as more of a reason to flaunt his wealth.
Two more years of this, HOW EXCITING !!!
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

Thought of it today while watching New Japan.

Adam Cole's first reign was ended by Michael Elgin, who went on to have a disappointing and very short title run.

Adam Cole's second reign was ended by Kyle O'Reilly, who went on to have a disappointing and very short title run.

Now more than ever, I believe Daniels will beat Cole at the anniversary show, and lose it around/at Supercard of Honor. You just can't beat the streak of extremely short reigns after Adam Cole.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Brada wrote:
You like to pimp yourself don't ya?
If it will get me hired..lol. In all seriousness, the ring announcer last night was the absolute worst I have ever seen.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Just giving you shit brother. Have you seen the ring announcer before? Was he from the local independents?
Brada

Post by Brada »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Just giving you shit brother. Have you seen the ring announcer before? Was he from the local independents?
I have never seen him....so not sure on his background. I asked Whitmer about it, but he had no idea either. I have already emailed them this morning letting them know that next time they are in Dallas, I will do the show for free(since I would be there anyway). Not that I'm the greatest talent in the world, nor claim to be, but I do have experience, and WAY better than that asshat. It was really bad, Riccaboni was having to direct him, give him his cues, he was really awful. Completely out of his element. The poor kid's haircut was just the start of people heckling the crap out of him...