Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
King of Indy Style

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by King of Indy Style »

I have both Danielson comps. I'd recommend World Champion, that was when he was at the absolute tip top of his game.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

King of Indy Style wrote:I have both Danielson comps. I'd recommend World Champion, that was when he was at the absolute tip top of his game.
I'd second this although Final Countdown has him in some different scenarios (shorter TV matches against stars that he isn't necessarily "known" for facing). I'd go with Champion but the Countdown one is cool. Countdown also has better and more consistent commentary.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Thanks! I think I'll go with the Champion DVD, and then, in another sale, I'll buy the other one. The thing I've seen is that Hell Rising is now 24,99$ instead of 19,99. And Summer of Punk is now 14,99 instead of 6,99 too. It will expensive, but I'm a big fan of both wrestlers and I think it will be worth the price.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

As far as the comps go, I would definitely recommend any of the Bryan Danielson comps still available. The Summer of Punk DVD (I think) is a must-have, just because it has all of the matches/important moments from that story on there. It's one of the few DVD compilations they've made on actual feuds. I also really enjoyed the Samoa Joe: Total Domination DVD Set (which covers his time in ROH after losing the ROH World Title, from 2005 until his initial departure in 2007). Personally, I would recommend both the Jimmy Jacobs solo DVD (From Love To Hate) and the Jimmy Jacobs/BJ Whitmer DVD (A Decade In The Making) if you're either into Jacobs and his story in ROH, or the Jacobs/Whitmer story, which was a big part of ROH during the company's golden years.

Kevin Steen's Hell Rising compilation might be a good one to get as well, because that was the compilation that was pulled for a time due to the things that Steen said about Jim Cornette in the shoot interview he did for that DVD, so that could be an option as well, just because of all the controversy that surrounded it.

Also, if you're someone who doesn't have any or very few ROH shows from the first five years, I would definitely recommend getting the Year 3/Year 4/Year 5 compilations. The bottom line is that, as a whole, there are A TON of good choices.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Kevin Steen's Hell Rising compilation might be a good one to get as well, because that was the compilation that was pulled for a time due to the things that Steen said about Jim Cornette in the shoot interview he did for that DVD, so that could be an option as well, just because of all the controversy that surrounded it.
Is the interview at Kevin Steen's DVD THAT good? I mean, I love Kevin, but the DVD is 25 $ and I'm now thinking between get it or get a cheaper DVD, such as Year Three.
King of Indy Style

Yeah, the interview is really damn good. It's about 2 hours, lots of stuff about him and Cornette. I highly recommend it
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

He doesn't even trash Cornette all that bad.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I think I'll go with Year Three & Unbreakable Obsession instead of Hell Rising. I will buy the Steen DVD in other sale, I mean, I can watch all the matches of Steen's DVD at ROH's VOD Section.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

AlexROH wrote: Is the interview at Kevin Steen's DVD THAT good? I mean, I love Kevin, but the DVD is 25 $ and I'm now thinking between get it or get a cheaper DVD, such as Year Three.
Honestly, without the controversy, it's just a regular compilation DVD (it's not even the best Steen compilation IMO). I think it's just one of those situations where a normal, regular item is made into a collector's item (or at least, made more special) by either a controversy or a defect, like TNA's infamous "RDV" T-Shirt.
JTCole wrote:He doesn't even trash Cornette all that bad.
I could be wrong, but I think what happened is that after Cornette left ROH, they made some sort of agreement where both sides wouldn't disparage one another, but when that Steen interview on Hell Rising came out, I guess Cornette heard something on there that he though disparaged him, which led to ROH halting production of that compilation. Whatever the situation was (again, I could be wrong, but I think that's what happened), it was ultimately resolved, and the DVD was put back in production (and ROH made a big deal about it when it did, iirc).
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote: I could be wrong, but I think what happened is that after Cornette left ROH, they made some sort of agreement where both sides wouldn't disparage one another, but when that Steen interview on Hell Rising came out, I guess Cornette heard something on there that he though disparaged him, which led to ROH halting production of that compilation. Whatever the situation was (again, I could be wrong, but I think that's what happened), it was ultimately resolved, and the DVD was put back in production (and ROH made a big deal about it when it did, iirc).
Didn't ole' Shane Hagadorn finally get the ax for selling them on ebay or something when they were supposed to not be sold?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I've finally bought 6 DVDs

- The Summer of Punk
- From Love to Hate: The Jimmy Jacobs Story
- Samoa Joe: Total Domination
- Bryan Danielson: World Champion
- RING OF HONOR: Year Three
- Christopher Daniels: The Fallen Angel (I choose this over the Elgin/Aries/Richards compilations because all the old stuff from the first two years that this DVD contains)
WHG

Post by WHG »

The Bobby Fish World Title push is a little frustrating. He was just announced for a match with Cole at Manhattan Mayhem and it occurred to me that he's effectively being put in the same position he was two years prior against Briscoe.

Fish does a great job building big matches with his self-shot promos, etc... and will likely have the crowd behind him in New York in a way that Kyle didn't. But scheduling that match a week before everyone knows that Cole has to defend the title on PPV against the Tournament winner and there's very little chance of a title change.

At War of the Worlds in Philly in 2015, the feeling in the building was so behind Fish that (being there live) I was hoping they'd pull a swerve and have Fish upset Briscoe. But everyone knew deep down that Briscoe was a month away from a heavily built match with Jay Lethal...and Fish had almost no chance to win.

It's disappointing that for a guy with the ability to sell a big match they make it almost impossible to believe there could be a title change on the rare occasions he gets a World title shot.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

WHG wrote:The Bobby Fish World Title push is a little frustrating. He was just announced for a match with Cole at Manhattan Mayhem and it occurred to me that he's effectively being put in the same position he was two years prior against Briscoe.

Fish does a great job building big matches with his self-shot promos, etc... and will likely have the crowd behind him in New York in a way that Kyle didn't. But scheduling that match a week before everyone knows that Cole has to defend the title on PPV against the Tournament winner and there's very little chance of a title change.

At War of the Worlds in Philly in 2015, the feeling in the building was so behind Fish that (being there live) I was hoping they'd pull a swerve and have Fish upset Briscoe. But everyone knew deep down that Briscoe was a month away from a heavily built match with Jay Lethal...and Fish had almost no chance to win.

It's disappointing that for a guy with the ability to sell a big match they make it almost impossible to believe there could be a title change on the rare occasions he gets a World title shot.
This is also his first World Title match since that tour in 2015, sadly enough. We’re in solidarity that Bobby deserves better, especially since he can do a better job of building a major program than most people in the business.

However we don’t know when Bobby’s contract runs out, so maybe booking him now is a good way to sell a main event of a somewhat big show which lies in the shadows of even bigger shows. And if history has taught us anything, it’s to not underestimate Manhattan Mayhem. It’s a long shot, but a Fish win connecting to a three-way at the 15YA does not seem to be in the realm of the impracticable.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Well Castle getting a title shot at SCoH now confuses me as to what happens at 15th Anniversary.
King of Indy Style

Just let Scurll main event The Experience with a TV Title defense. Give him a 25 minute match with....Lethal or something. Just put Scurll out there and let him kill it.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:Just let Scurll main event The Experience with a TV Title defense. Give him a 25 minute match with....Lethal or something. Just put Scurll out there and let him kill it.
The King and I are on the same wavelength.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Don Callis, better known as Cyrus in ECW, will be replacing Steve Corino on the English version of NJPW shows. Kenny Omega was apparently instrumental in bringing him on, and apparently had tried to get him as a commentator on ROH shows when he was more active there.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I'd like Cyrus to be a color commentator in ROH. Always liked his ECW work, he always did a good job of bringing Joey Styles out of his shell and played a heel color commentator very effectively. I'd like to see him come into ROH as the color guy, if he's looking for work, why not? Have him do TV's and PPV's, Riccaboni can do VOD's.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I still think Daniels beating Cole, then losing to Castle could be the plan. You get the title off Cole if he's leaving, you give Daniels a title reign, you let him drop it to a much younger guy soon after, and you still get the buzz of Dalton winning.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

JTCole wrote:I still think Daniels beating Cole, then losing to Castle could be the plan. You get the title off Cole if he's leaving, you give Daniels a title reign, you let him drop it to a much younger guy soon after, and you still get the buzz of Dalton winning.
But that's so many title changes in the past year, no? By then, since August you'd have:

Lethal - Cole - O'Reilly - Cole - Daniels - Castle

That's 6 changes in 8 months. I get what you're saying, I think it'd be great for a Daniels run, and I'm for a Daniels reign, but you can't have him lose to Castle a month later.