Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mike Adamle

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Mike Adamle »

What was everyone's opinion of the Davey Richards-Roderick Strong match from Battle of the Best in Japan in 2008? Just got to it as I'm watching every show in order and what a war this was! I always hear about their Final Battle 2010 match, their Honor Takes Center Stage match, even their Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies II match, but no one ever mentions this match.

My opinion is that this is and overlooked classic, and the Richards-Strong feud in general is way too underrated itself. Do I think it's up there with Danielson-McGuiness? No. Right under that top tier of feuds though.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Fawrules wrote:I can't believe anyone could of possibly taken it as me defending TNA... Just more a reference to the fact that being the cockroach of a company that is is, TNA usually finds a way to waste enough money to delay their impending doom for another year or so.
You said TNA will likely outlast ROH. That would imply that ROH is in some sort of financial danger, and we've seen absolutely nothing which would indicate that.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I'm totally unaware of ROH's financial situation but I imagine they are probably breaking even or at least making a profit no matter how little. I would hope anyway.

I think with TNA though you do have someone that want's it to be kept alive no matter what, with Sinclair I would imagine that if there was any situation even close to what TNA has found themselves in at times I couldn't see Sinclair persisting with ROH for long.

I do think ROH is in need a lot of invest not to just in talent but also in production and POS (especially the later). Better quality and a more organised POS system would hopefully enable them to create a greater buzz for all of their up-coming events. As looking at GBH, as well as the Florida shows things seem to have got a little bit lost or just wayward in there being a big awareness compared to other card's. Unfortunately ROH still isn't in a position to just announce they will be appearing and draw a good crowd especially after this year, ROH still need's to be careful in making sure it can generate cards or at least a buzz for every show.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Fawrules wrote:I can't believe anyone could of possibly taken it as me defending TNA... Just more a reference to the fact that being the cockroach of a company that is is, TNA usually finds a way to waste enough money to delay their impending doom for another year or so.
SBGI is worth several billions dollars , they have millions of dollars of cash on hand and have access to millions in working capital. Sinclair can run ROH for many years. The end game would be to build up ROH and sell it for a nice profit. TNA is lost because Viacom and Panda pulled out their support and Carter could not adjust to loss of capital.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

BurningHammer wrote:I'm totally unaware of ROH's financial situation but I imagine they are probably breaking even or at least making a profit no matter how little. I would hope anyway.
That ROH is profitable is pretty much self evident from Sinclair's behavior.

Sinclair is a conservative company, financially. If ROH weren't profitable in some way they wouldn't be expanding the reach of the TV show, running more shows, running live cable PPVs, improving the lighting rig, going to Japan and the UK, moving into bigger venues, signing talent to exclusive deals, etc.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

famicommander wrote:
BurningHammer wrote:I'm totally unaware of ROH's financial situation but I imagine they are probably breaking even or at least making a profit no matter how little. I would hope anyway.

Sinclair is a conservative company, financially. If ROH weren't profitable in some way they wouldn't be expanding the reach of the TV show, running more shows, running live cable PPVs, improving the lighting rig, going to Japan and the UK, moving into bigger venues, signing talent to exclusive deals, etc.
I guess it depends on how involved Sinclair are with ROH, considering the running costs for ROH they may well see it as something they can just let be regardless of a profit. As long as ROH stays within their budget or doesn't have a considerable loss Sinclair might just be happy enough. I don't think anyone can really confirm or deny it considering non us are involved with either company.
Fawrules

Post by Fawrules »

famicommander wrote:
You said TNA will likely outlast ROH. That would imply that ROH is in some sort of financial danger, and we've seen absolutely nothing which would indicate that.
Again, wasn't implying that they were at all. Was a shot at TNA if anyone.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

The Bullet Club is completely shoring up the main event and upper midcard right now. It was a very, very rocky start, but this angle is firing on all cylinders and was probably worth the headache.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

BurningHammer wrote:
famicommander wrote:

I guess it depends on how involved Sinclair are with ROH, considering the running costs for ROH they may well see it as something they can just let be regardless of a profit. As long as ROH stays within their budget or doesn't have a considerable loss Sinclair might just be happy enough. I don't think anyone can really confirm or deny it considering non us are involved with either company.
Here's something I heard Wade Keller said during a podcast at some point this year that I don't think has been mentioned before.

So at the end/start of last year, Meltzer reported that ROH sent Cole, Delirious, The Briscoes and obviously Koff, to meet with Sinclair in a bid to gain more funding. Meltzer said this bid failed, so we all expected there to be little improvements in production, few signings, etc, yet the exact opposite happened. The production right now compared to last year has improved ten fold. That ESPN article about being behind the scenes as they set-up for ASE was an eye opener into all the effort their putting into the production of TV and PPV's right now. They've signed Marty Scurll and are probably paying good sums of money to bring guys like Dragon Lee and Angel del Oro into the country among others - Scurll especially, who would have had to get a working VISA which is not cheap and who ROH would have to pay a good sum of money for him to essentially be leaving his home to find a new one in the United States in-order to work for ROH full-time as is expected, is a good sign.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sinclair did invest in ROH through this year because I don't think this money came from nowhere. There have been zero reports of financial difficulty and in-fact when once asked during an Observer phone in at the start of year I'm pretty sure Dave or Bryan pretty simply said, ROH's long-term future is extremely secure because even if they were having difficulty, Sinclair are always there and Sinclair wants the content ROH produces and ROH produces an hour a week of content plus three hours extra every two months of PPV content, which as has been stated many times before, has tripled on their first year in PPV which is a sign distributors want them to produce more, as opposed to say TNA who struggle to get any PPV time because nobody buys their shows.

It was never really followed up, but from where I'm standing there was either a sizable investment put into ROH which they put towards their biggest critic, which was their production, or they made enough money off last year in-order to pay for it all which I don't think is likely (last year was their most successful year financially, per Meltzer),
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

ROH will start airing in Portugal starting next week on Sport.TV
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Can't wait for the Portuguese announce table to pop up at Final Battle.

"And hey, we have our friends from Portugal too, Steve! Ronaldo Cristi and Figo Louis!"
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Fawrules wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Again, wasn't implying that they were at all. Was a shot at TNA if anyone.
You flat out said TNA would likely outlast ROH. If that isn't what you meant you should choose your words more carefully.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

The Dragon Saga wrote:Here's something I heard Wade Keller said during a podcast at some point this year that I don't think has been mentioned before.

So at the end/start of last year, Meltzer reported that ROH sent Cole, Delirious, The Briscoes and obviously Koff, to meet with Sinclair in a bid to gain more funding. Meltzer said this bid failed, so we all expected there to be little improvements in production, few signings, etc, yet the exact opposite happened. The production right now compared to last year has improved ten fold. That ESPN article about being behind the scenes as they set-up for ASE was an eye opener into all the effort their putting into the production of TV and PPV's right now. They've signed Marty Scurll and are probably paying good sums of money to bring guys like Dragon Lee and Angel del Oro into the country among others - Scurll especially, who would have had to get a working VISA which is not cheap and who ROH would have to pay a good sum of money for him to essentially be leaving his home to find a new one in the United States in-order to work for ROH full-time as is expected, is a good sign.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sinclair did invest in ROH through this year because I don't think this money came from nowhere. There have been zero reports of financial difficulty and in-fact when once asked during an Observer phone in at the start of year I'm pretty sure Dave or Bryan pretty simply said, ROH's long-term future is extremely secure because even if they were having difficulty, Sinclair are always there and Sinclair wants the content ROH produces and ROH produces an hour a week of content plus three hours extra every two months of PPV content, which as has been stated many times before, has tripled on their first year in PPV which is a sign distributors want them to produce more, as opposed to say TNA who struggle to get any PPV time because nobody buys their shows.

It was never really followed up, but from where I'm standing there was either a sizable investment put into ROH which they put towards their biggest critic, which was their production, or they made enough money off last year in-order to pay for it all which I don't think is likely (last year was their most successful year financially, per Meltzer),
I agree I certainly think there has been an injection of cash, or certainly a better effort to increase the production side of ROH. There is still a long way to go for me and there are a lot of little things that could be done to help, ROH is just at that point that ECW got to and then went past (although not to the best of standards) and ultimately went bust that made them a solid number three brand. i can see why ROH is keeping tabs on things and maybe not getting to crazy as with Wrestling it's super easy to loose money, but I just hope they really step up next year and become a leading number 2, as it as always has the potential even without getting Hulk Hogan in on TV.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

Mike Adamle wrote:What was everyone's opinion of the Davey Richards-Roderick Strong match from Battle of the Best in Japan in 2008? Just got to it as I'm watching every show in order and what a war this was! I always hear about their Final Battle 2010 match, their Honor Takes Center Stage match, even their Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies II match, but no one ever mentions this match.

My opinion is that this is and overlooked classic, and the Richards-Strong feud in general is way too underrated itself. Do I think it's up there with Danielson-McGuiness? No. Right under that top tier of feuds though.
I remember it being talked about from fans who flew over for the show (and Gabe) as one of the matches to see from the Japan tour.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

adam cole booked for wxw and progress wrestling...interesting.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Truth Martini 2 days ago :)

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

*Uncut Connection emoji*
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wilson wrote:The Bullet Club is completely shoring up the main event and upper midcard right now. It was a very, very rocky start, but this angle is firing on all cylinders and was probably worth the headache.
And it would have been less of a headache and yet just as a effective if they had waited until after the main event to do their run-in.
I'll also disagree that it is firing on all cylinders. There is one, very powerful cylinder that is powering this thing, and that is Cole vs. Kyle. The other are working at 50% at best (although that should hopefully change once the Bucks start being given something to do).
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

There are multiple challengers for both the tag and top titles (which is somewhat a rarity). The champions seem important and so do the challengers (which it seems has not heretofore been accomplished this year). Are you disagreeing that this angle or this faction is not where it should be?

It would be unrealistic to think ROH is going to get any more from the Bullet Club then what they’re getting right now. At the moment, every somewhat decent angle involves the Bullet Club (save War Machine vs. Lee & Taylor).
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wilson wrote:There are multiple challengers for both the tag and top titles (which is somewhat a rarity). The champions seem important and so do the challengers (which it seems has not heretofore been accomplished this year). Are you disagreeing that this angle or this faction is not where it should be?

It would be unrealistic to think ROH is going to get any more from the Bullet Club then what they’re getting right now. At the moment, every somewhat decent angle involves the Bullet Club (save War Machine vs. Lee & Taylor).
The faction feels like they are where they should be in terms of being top heels, but it doesn't feel like there is much going on for anyone other than Cole. Page is basically their job-boy and has been the whole time. The Bucks might have challengers, but Castle and Cabana in no way feel like a credible team
Spoiler: show
and the Briscoes feel like they just got done with Bullet Club so having them going right back to feuding with them already feels tired.